PDA

View Full Version : Best Place To Buy A Suit? (California/San Diego)

MCSD
01-17-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm in need of purchasing a suit or two and wanted to get input of those in Law Enforcement who have purchased suits. I'm located in San Diego, CA and know of around 4 businesses that sale suits in San Diego that are well known.

Men

Kieth M.
01-17-2006, 02:34 AM
At that price range, I know for sure that you'll be limited to 3 Day or Burlington. I recall that Men's Warehouse will probably run about 200 for just the suit, alone.

By the way, anyone offering to sell you a suit, shirt, belt, and tie for $100.00 better give you a warning, as well, to avoid standing near any open flame!

NewCenturion
01-17-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with Kieth M. about 3 day suit broker. I'd go with Men's Fashion Depot. I've bought a couple of suits from them, and they have the best selection of tasteful and conservative suits at your price range - you will find something good for $150, trust me. Unbelievable, but true. Stick to darker colors with a more inexpensive suit (Darkest gray, Black, Darkest Blue). Stay away from lighter or odd colors with the suit, avoid overly bold pinstripes or busy patterns. Stick with a solid color if possible with a less expensive suit. Remember, just because it's a bargain, it doesn't have to be CHEAP. It will look cheap if you purchase weird patterns nobody wanted in the first place.

Everything I've seen at 3 day suit broker is either the "yo pimpin' keepin' it real flavah", or the flammable polyester material he described. I do agree about Burlington, but it's a mixed bag, and they don't do suits exclusively.

If you want to "express yourself" do it with a shirt and tie, but hopefully not for your boards/interviews. Stay CONSERVATIVE and TRADITIONAL. I prefer light blue shirts because they wear better, but go with whatever you think looks professional. Stick with muted but tasteful tie colors (burgundy/dark red is good), preferably a solid rather than a pattern. If it's a pattern, make sure it isn't too busy. Here's the test: If you look at it, and it immediately starts to give you a headache or you feel your eyes dancing around or dizziness, it's too busy. Watch out for ties too dark (funeral), or ties too light (mafia or shady leisure suit 1970s salesman a la "Herb Tarlick")

Men's fashion Depot will hook you up, take care of the alterations, and so forth. DO NOT buy shoes, shirts or ties there though. Drop off the suit for alterations, get in your car, and drive up Sports Arena Blvd. to the "Ross" across the street from Black Angus, next to Target They always have great deals on the accessories, in very good taste. If they don't have good shoes in your size, go to the Skechers outfit in San Ysidro, or even Target next door to Ross.

I may see you there in the next few days because I need new shirts and ties. Hope this helps...Happy Hunting!

NewCenturion
01-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Oops, forget the part about shoes, looks like you didn't need them. You can try 3 day, but, well, they're only open 3 days for starters...

MCSD
01-17-2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks NewCenturion for the advice. Recently I went to a Ross with a friend just to look around and found some nice shirts with ties for $25. Does the Skechers outfit in San Ysidro, Target and Ross have dress shoes to match a suit? If so who has the best price/deals?

I have an interview in a couple of days and my friend said to wear a dark gray suit with a white tee undershirt, white shirt, and burgundy/red tie. I'd just like to look as great as possible for the interview with the right colors. Any advice on the colors that looks good for an interview?

Shoot N Scoot
01-17-2006, 11:25 AM
I'll stick with the Men's Warehouse. There a national chain which provides a great suit at a good price. On top of that its lifetime adjustments (we all know what them donuts will do to us) and you can get it pressed anywhere in the nation just by walking in. Just make sure you dont get a rookie sales man and if you plan on carrying while wearing the suit, take your gear with you. They understand and typically work with alot of leo's, so its not an issue.

SalemBlue
01-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Always look for one of the assistant managers. I was buying my first suit and was rather clueless on specifics to look for, and one of the assistants came over and helped me out. It was a perfect fit and reasonably priced too. I'm extremely satisfied with their service and quality.

pkagel
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Men's Wherehouse has always been great to me. Walk in and tell them what kind of interview you are going for and they will get you going in the right direction. Always, always pick out your shirt and tie at the same time your buying the suit. You will want to see how the whole ensemble looks together.

Your going to want a dark grey suit with minimal flair. Maybe some muted striped but nothing that you can really see from across the room. Buy 2 or 3 fitted shirts of different solid colors. A light blue, a white and maybe an off white one. Ties should be very conservative but should have some color in them but not a whole lot and no confusing patterns.

The best cut in my opinion is a single breasted 3 button suit tailored in in the middle to make your chest appear larger (V cut)

When you wear the suit never button the bottom button but always have the top 2 buttoned when standing. When you sit unbutton the top 2 and when you stand immediatly button the suit up.

Underarmor shirts are excellent under a suit if you can get the symbol off. You don't want to see anything through the shirt.

Wing tips are your best shoes and match your belt to the shoes, black is always best. A good set of wing tips will last you for a decade. Don't skimp.

Best of luck to you.

L-1
01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Does San Diego have a garment district where all the wholesale distributors are located? If so, you might take a look down there.

In Los Angeles a lot of cops shop the wholesale garment district for greatly discounted prices. One of the better known vendors there is AL Weiss Men's Clothing.

LDOmustang
01-17-2006, 07:31 PM
MCRD and the NEX have ok suits. The prices are pretty good too. The customer service isnt the best but the price and lack of taxes make them very competetive. I recently retired from the Navy and have been picked up by a San Diego Department, my NEX suit and tie worked just fine.

Sorry, I should not have answered here until i complete the acadamy.

NewCenturion
01-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks NewCenturion for the advice. Recently I went to a Ross with a friend just to look around and found some nice shirts with ties for $25. Does the Skechers outfit in San Ysidro, Target and Ross have dress shoes to match a suit? If so who has the best price/deals?

I have an interview in a couple of days and my friend said to wear a dark gray suit with a white tee undershirt, white shirt, and burgundy/red tie. I'd just like to look as great as possible for the interview with the right colors. Any advice on the colors that looks good for an interview?

Your right on target with your friend's advice. As I said, conservative and tasteful. I cannot recommend the Men's Fashion Depot enough; Men's Wearhouse is fantastic, so don't completely discount the advice of my colleagues in other states (PKagel used to live here, and LDO mustang is obviously local too), BUT you will definitely pay much more at The Men's Wearhouse. You do get what you pay for, but I can vouch for Men's Depot with impunity. I just drove by there today (bought some shirts and ties at Ross), and they are running a special, better than their usual one. They will hook you up there, they know their business. I think you'll score, and they have a discount for alterations with the tailor in the same strip mall. It's not free like Men's Wearhouse, but it sounds like your on a tight budget, and the increased cost of the suit will far outweigh the free alterations.

Try the NEX also, but don't hold your breath, except for shoes maybe. I've found clothing besides basic uniform items and some cheapo PT gear to be at medium to high full retail. I always got the tax free hook-up on shoes at the NEX though. And PKagel is right, a good pair of shoes (wing tips or not) will last for years, and save your feet in the process.

As far as the interview boards: You've been through it in the military - same ballgame; be calm without appearing like a slacker, speak clearly with authorit y without sounding like a Nazi killjoy (Tackleberry from "Police Academy" or Farva from "Super Troopers"). Be yourself, and don't wrap yourself around the axle. It's like an audition: do it, and don't look back except to correct if you get credible feedback. Break a leg (but not literally)... :D

sgttom
01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Men's Wearhouse has always been good to me.. Most all my suits are through them...

No matter the amount of panel members and no matter who answered the question, look at each of the panelists in the eye as you give your answer.......

good luck.

Shoot N Scoot
01-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Dang Marky Mark and I thought I was the only one who had read Dress for Success. It has served me well over the past 18 years and I've never had an oral board that I didnt pass. Nothing like a good conservitative suit, black wing tips, black belt, white shirt and red tie to sell your package.

Ohhh and skip the tie pin, its seriously out dated.

willowdared
01-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Hmmmm...

Nordstrom's Rack in Mission Valley would be worth checking out too!

MCSD
01-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks for everyone

NewCenturion
01-18-2006, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=MCSD]Thanks for everyone

NewCenturion
01-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Hmmmm...

Nordstrom's Rack in Mission Valley would be worth checking out too!

OH HELL YEAH, how could I forget? Might pay a little more, but well worth it...I need to get down there myself.

willowdared
01-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Nordy's Rack.

I have to say this about the shoes. And I realise as a woman I have a very different relationship with shoes then men.

Yes, you will pay more for the shoes (and everything else) at the Rack then you would at Ross or Marshall's, but you will get so much more for your money!

There is really a difference between $300 shoes and $50 shoes. And for $50 to $75 you can score $300 Italian leather shoes. They fit better, they look better, they last better - and they feel better!

Same can be said for a really good silk tie. It will hold up so much better, and hold the knot/shape better as well.

You may not be able to spring for it now, since you are at the beginning of your career, but you will have many interviews as you work your way up, and the rule is always dress for the position you want, not the one you are in.

Good luck!

NewCenturion
01-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Nordy's Rack.

I have to say this about the shoes. And I realise as a woman I have a very different relationship with shoes then men.

Yes, you will pay more for the shoes (and everything else) at the Rack then you would at Ross or Marshall's, but you will get so much more for your money!

There is really a difference between $300 shoes and $50 shoes. And for $50 to $75 you can score $300 Italian leather shoes. They fit better, they look better, they last better - and they feel better!

Same can be said for a really good silk tie. It will hold up so much better, and hold the knot/shape better as well.

You may not be able to spring for it now, since you are at the beginning of your career, but you will have many interviews as you work your way up, and the rule is always dress for the position you want, not the one you are in.

Good luck!

A woman's advice is always golden, unless she's 5150 (CA Welfare & Instutions code for emotional or mental disturbance). Nordstrom Rack is the shizznit. Pay a little more for shoes. Your feet will thank you, and the shoes will be with you for quite awhile. Most ties are silk (have you seen anything polyester lately? I hope not) but look for that quality yo. And she's right about presenting yourself for the position you want, unless you're a complete fraud (not getting that smell). I hope you do/did OK dude...