PDA

View Full Version : accuTRAK speed timing devices

el_jajkeo
10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
i got clocked doing 50 in a 35 by a cop using 'Robek accutrack".. the thing is i dont think i was doing 50, also i was following 2 cars in front of me that were traveling atleast my speed (i know this becuase i was not gaining on them at all)... i was wondering how easy it is to get an innaccurate read while using a stopwatch, i mean a quarter of a second can mess up the results about 8 mph.
i am trying to fight the ticket to atleast get the points dropped... any advice to help me win?

irishlad2nv
10-25-2005, 03:49 PM
No offense, but I highy doubt anyone will advise you on here to "get out of a ticket". Just go to court and state your case. However, if you were following the vehicles in front of you as your said and they were going your speed...then guess what, you were speeding! But, the officer that wrote you, I am sure has the training and experience needed to use the Accutrak, since only state police in PA are allowed to use radar (i think).So most municipals use timing devices.

USAcop
10-25-2005, 08:39 PM
We use VASCAR for speed enforcement and require a minimum 1/10 mile for a clock. We give the violator a car length when we do it We clock when the front wheels cross the first line to when the rear wheels cross the last line. Operators click the switch twice when they do the clock. The error rate on the switches is to your benefit and adds time to your clock. You were going faster than what you were clocked.

el_jajkeo
10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
he timed me for .019 of a mile... which is much less than 1/10 of a mile.. does that have any relivance?

USAcop
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
First of all in most states an Officer can write and convict a person based on a visual estimate of the violators speed. You don't need any speed measurement equipment to write a ticket.

Our judge stated " I don't understand why people think they are entitled to a warning".

Especially in a town or school zone you may be written for going less than 10 mph over the speed limit. 5 mph over in a school zone would not be surprising. A good friend of mine works for the Oregon state police does not speed in her town because she knows the city police do stop and sometimes will write for 5 mph over the speed limit.

I don't know if there is a minimum distance required to calculate speed for the accutrak. I am not familiar with accutrak but it is probably similiar to VASCAR.

Dolmen
10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
** Non LEO just posting numbers **

0.019 miles is 100 feet, at 50mph that's 1.35 seconds elapsed to cover that distance.

el_jajkeo
10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
could you try to find out from someone if there are minimum distances for accurtrak? my court date is 12/01 so i gots plenty of time to get some info.. thanks

explorerscout83
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
could you try to find out from someone if there are minimum distances for accurtrak? my court date is 12/01 so i gots plenty of time to get some info.. thanks
Look you are on a law enforcement message board. We are not going to help you get out of a speeding ticket. Why don't you just admit that you where speeding and just pay the ticket like an adult, or do you have so many tickets that one more will result in your DL getting suspended.

el_jajkeo
10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
OmG you figured me out...
and wouldnt this be considered advice?

explorerscout83
10-31-2005, 10:14 AM
OmG you figured me out...
and wouldnt this be considered advice?
Wow such a nice little picture. Yes while it is true you can come here and get advise, why do so many people come here and ask for advise on how to get out of a speeding ticket or how to get out of a stop sign ticket or how to get you of a red light ticket.

Here is one sure fire way that you will not get a ticket

STOP BREAKING THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes going 5 miles per hour over the speed limit is still speeding, even going one mile per hour over the speed limit is speeding.

Like I said in my above post be an adult and just admit you where wrong and pay the fine.

I suddenly feel so much better ranting does help I guess.

el_jajkeo
10-31-2005, 04:46 PM
so, youre saying that you never looked down at your speedometer and thought "wow, i didnt reallize i was going that fast"... if not cheers to you my friend

purdinpopo
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Look 15 over is not "wow, i didnt reallize i was going that fast" That is "Wow I am speeding and I am a criminal enjoying my crime!" or it is "Wow I am paying no attention to driving as I should and am so unobservant I failed to notice that the speed has changed!"

I would sat that PA is the only place so wierd that they only allow Troopers to use radar, and I have only noticed two Officers from PA and they were both Troopers. Just guessing I would say that any distance that is measured and long enough that a person can accurately operate the timing device would in fact be a long enough distance to stand up in Court.

Now go read the equally stupid "Grounds for dismissal" thread, you will get more advice that is good.

purdinpopo
11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I have never understood the "I should get a warning as all those other nasty people in front of me were going just as fast or faster. Did I stop them? NO, I stopped you. One I heard was was "do you expect to catch all the fish, every time you go fishing?"

e-man
11-01-2005, 08:16 PM
LOOK I use ACCUTRAC regularly. Most people will not get pulled over for at least {depends on department} 15 over. SOOO u are already moving about 50% faster than the limit allows. NOW for the technicalities THERE ARE NONE. The cop sees a car moving faster than someone else and he says BINGO, Iam gonna clock that guy. As u cross the first line CLICK, when the rear end of said vehicle crosses the second line ClICK. INSTANT readout. Cop puts it in drive and probably has to do 70 just to catch up to you.
Our ROBICs are calibrated every SIXTY days AND we bring in the cal. sheet to court. It doesnt matter if there were 2 other cars near you. I can see your car. I can see the lines I can track and clock you. It aint the end of the world. UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY AMMASSED points. We use 200 foot lines and it takes about 2.5 or less to get a good speed of over 50, usually in a 35 zone, I wont pull unless their at 55 or greater or in and out of traffic which I see even in the 2.5 seconds it takes to go through the lines.
P.S. the judge has heard EVERY excuse in the book. DOnt insult him by saying, the cop couldnt have gotten a good time in only 2.5 seconds or I wasnt going THAT fast, no way Jose.
Just plead guilty and ask for a reduced charge and maybe no points.
P.S.S. GOod luck

e-man
11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
In case my above post ws too much rambling, there is a minimum distance which is already listed on the citation. ANywhere from 150-200 feet. We use 200 ft. 'cept for one or 2 places. Each is listed in the department also. The lines are repainted every year and the ROBIC is calibrated every sixty days... 200 ft. =.037 and 150 = .019. Good luck JAJKEO

purdinpopo
11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
hey e-man,

Just a Question, are troopers the only ones allowed to use Radar in PA? If so, What is the reasoning?

el_jajkeo
11-03-2005, 12:14 AM
In case my above post ws too much rambling, there is a minimum distance which is already listed on the citation. ANywhere from 150-200 feet. We use 200 ft. 'cept for one or 2 places. Each is listed in the department also. The lines are repainted every year and the ROBIC is calibrated every sixty days... 200 ft. =.037 and 150 = .019. Good luck JAJKEO
umm.. .019 is 100ft not 150

e-man
11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
hey e-man,

Just a Question, are troopers the only ones allowed to use Radar in PA? If so, What is the reasoning?
Probably politics. I know since I left my last job that the chief was trying to get the law ammended to allow any muni. department to use radar. Dunno though if its gonna happen. Accutrak for us is good enough.
P.S. to Jajekdo correct that the .019 lines are 100 feet. The .037 we have are 195 feet. I say 200 to simplify :rolleyes: dont wanna confuse the defendants

el_jajkeo
11-09-2005, 01:01 AM
and 100 isnt too short?? i mean its at the point were 10ths of a second means mph....

also, nice avatar (oh..theres on thumbs up smiley, but if there was one, it would be here)

balto
11-09-2005, 07:33 PM
and 100 isnt too short?? i mean its at the point were 10ths of a second means mph....

also, nice avatar (oh..theres on thumbs up smiley, but if there was one, it would be here)

Many departments run accutrak from 100 feet. If a police officer makes a mistake or is off by a quarter of a second it is always in favor of the violator. If the officer has any doubt at all he won't write the citation. There are plenty of speeders out there, we dont need to stretch it or fudge the numbers. As far as you being behind 2 other cars, maybe they were also speeding but why would a police officer pass you and the car in front of you to get the first one? Its much easier to get the last one that was speeding. Remember, one officer can't catch them all. Before you say "that isn't fair",,,,,,,,,,LIFE ISNT FAIR

purdinpopo
11-09-2005, 09:26 PM
The famed well thoe other people did it and they did not get in trouble argument, sounds like a four year old, if an adult gets in trouble for something they did not do, they defend themselves in a proper way, not demanding that others join them.