PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal for civilians to carry handcuffs?

spyderdude20
09-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

irishlad2nv
09-17-2005, 05:38 PM
First off, not being trained properly on using Handcuffs os your first mistake. Second, in most states including Alaska, it has to be a FELONY before you can make a citizens arrest, which most likely the person(s) will have a gun and your handcuffs will not do you any good there. Second, if you do not know how to use them properly and you do "arrest" someone. You run the risk of hurting the person and then they are going to turn around and sue the **** out of you. The best thing to do is be a good witness if you see a crime and contact the authorities. Besides, who knows the person(s) may kick your butt as you "try" to arrest them...and in my 7 yrs in LE, I have never had a call to go get someone because of some "nice" citizen. There is no "defensive" purpose of handcuffs if you are not trained on them. If you do want to play billy bad guy or mister nice citizen, go into security work or LE. Don't hurt yourself or others playing mr. Hero.

Bodie
09-17-2005, 05:46 PM
No because somebody can take them away from you and A) Handcuff You.
B ) Beat Your A## with them.

And how do you think you could defend yourself with them ?
As POLICE with look at somebody carrying them as a sexual perve that may be using them to rape women or kids. Are you one of THOSE ???????

scooterlee
09-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Its not illegal to own/carry handcuffs..

but why would want 2?

spyderdude20
09-17-2005, 06:41 PM
So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.

Bodie
09-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Go ahead and buy a pair, Because you just are not going to listen.
No they are not illegal to own and carry .... It's just plain STUPID to do it

ptcop531
09-17-2005, 07:47 PM
If you want to defend yourself, take self defense courses, or learn martial arts. Carrying handcuffs for 'protection' is about the dumbest thing I have heard on this forum in a long time. That is saying a lot as there has been dumb things posted on here a few times a week.....

And as Bodie said, if we find a civilian carrying cuffs..... red flags come up.
Either a wannabe, or a perv.

Mr. Security
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Spyderdude20,

Think about it: If LEOfficers, who constantly train to use handcuffs & batons and sometimes still require several officers to handcuff a resisting suspect, (especially if they are on meth.) -- do you really want to try it by yourself?

Remember, "Better a live dog than a dead lion" :D

Bodie
09-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah we are basically told not to handcuff by ourselves use back up to remove some of the danger. I've done it and I'm pretty damn big and in good shape and it's still a struggle.
So do you think somebody is going to alllow a nobody to handcugg them > They'll take them away and flat send you to the hospital when they are dome baeting and cutting you with them,

If I were the officer taking the assault report I would have tears in my eyes from laughing at how stupid you were.

cst.sb
09-17-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight.

At what point is carrying handcuffs about self defence? You have several options, the first being; avoid situations where you might need to defend yourself!

Lets face it kid, you are trying to be a hero if you buy a set of handcuffs. You are going to walk around with them in your back pocket sizing up everyone that walks by you.

My suggestion is to grow-up, because you sound like a guy that has never been in a fight, or had to defend yourself. Because if you had, you'd be a lot more eager to avoid a confrontation than looking to be slapping the cuffs on your attacker.

If you just want to show your dominance after "defending" yourself, why not hump the guy's leg like the alpha wolf you are.

irishlad2nv
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked. I'm not trying to be a hero, but I am trying to protect myself, and cops cant be everywhere at the same time. Unless they have a gun to my head, I will fight back, I'm not gonna sit there and just yell help while I'm being beat down by an attacker. If I die trying to defend myself, so be it, but I don't give up without a fight. If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger. Is it illegal for people to defend themselves now? If I wanted to play "Mr. Hero", I will become a cop, but for now I want to defend myself and at least try to keep the subject from getting away. I'm not lookin to protect anyone other than myself. Like I said if I wanna do that I'll become a law enforcement officer.

Bro, its the simple matter of knowing how to properly handcuff...but even as LEO's we must be trained on how to use them and even a security guard at Wal-mart has too! Like I said I have never had anyone, anyone make a citizens arrest...now if for some reason you live in a "rough" section on ALASKA where Felony Crimes are taking place every 5 seconds, then by all means, go play wannabe cop! But to even say if someone has a gun to your head to go ahead and pull the trigger...bro even if you tried to get into LE, you would not even stand a chance to get hired, let alone last that long on the job with that statement! Let us, the Real Police make the arrest. Thats what we get paid for. Before you even think about playing hero, you need to read up on the laws to make sure you are not breaking them yourself. And even still, even as LEO we can get sued, etc by people we arrest all the time. So be careful...if not don't do it. Get a life!

lazycop
09-17-2005, 11:34 PM
So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs?

Maybe you should watch some of those prison videos that show cons training how to attack a LEO who is trying to cuff them. Handcuffing is about the most dangerous interaction with a suspect.
Keep them at gunpoint and call 911 if thats your thing.

Hell I dont even carry cuffs off duty.

JKralC104
09-17-2005, 11:50 PM
So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? .

I'm just an auxiliary officer and we spent a week alone on handcuffing during our training. Yes it takes training, skill, and brains. If you get stupid with handcuffing someone, your "defense" tool CAN and WILL kill you.

towncop
09-18-2005, 12:55 AM
If I have a gun to my head I will tell the attacker to go ahead and pull the trigger.

I've been a cop for going on eight years now and I would never, ever tell someone who had a gun to my head to go ahead and pull the trigger. That is a ballsy-*** statement to make. C'mon guys, you have to agree with me on this one.....surely BODIE will agree with me on that one :D .

webjeep
09-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Most cops who are assaulted are attacked while trying to handcuff a suspect. We have guns, tazers, asps, OC and training.

Just something to think about.

Not to mention the ramifications of unlawfully detaining someone, otherwise known as abduction in many places.

Though I gotta give props to a Pizza Hut crew for tying up a crackhead female robber with the phone cord. They had been robbed the week prior and said they didn't want to go through it again. Ballsy, but I wouldn't suggest it. It was not easy getting her untied either.

NavyCop
09-18-2005, 01:23 AM

With that attitude, you aren't going to last in any branch of the military. Your recruiter must have been desperate for recruits.

Creeker
09-18-2005, 06:23 AM

What are you, like 12?

Why not just put on a uniform and call yourself some kind of PO-Lice but without a firearm to back it up? Make sure that you walk around in the Ghetto with it on for a few hours, since you are so mesmerised by "defending yourself". I verily suspect you would be happy for them to get away.

And yeah, handcuffs ARE that simple, since you know all about them. That must be why we had several 3 hour blocks of instruction on speedcuffing, etc., back in 1982 and we had to do it to each other daily despite our wrists in a severe state of discomfort from wrist drags and incompetent partners. My whole Basic Class, including me were knuckle draggers whose class theme song was "DOITY DOITY DOITY DO, WE BE GWANNA HOITY YOU".

Put down the Playstation controller and read a book. Real life is scarier than your Ethernet world.

Bodie
09-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Consider this if you do "subdue" an attacker and it turns out you could have walked away or were the agressor and you apply handcuffs you just restrained somone against their will and can be charged with a felony count of kidnapping.

Mr. Security
09-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Yep, false arrest and false imprisonment convictions and you can forget about being a school crossing guard, (no offense to those who are) let alone a LEO career. :D

PhilipCal
09-18-2005, 01:03 PM
In Alabama it would not be illegal. But, I"ll ask you the same question everyone else has. Why do you want to?

Bodie
09-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Met an old man that told me he was doing 25 to life because he caught some young guy trying to mess iwth his wife. The old man said he had a gun pointed at the punks head and the idiot said go ahead a shoot.

Hence the 25 to life.

I'll make a bet. Bring your more then slightly ignorant civilian rear to Ohio and put your handcuffs in your back pocket. I am going to detain you and ask you a lot of questions and then place you under arrest for possession of crimnal tools. They can be used to kidnap and rape. Hence in the possession of a civlian they are a criminal tool. Will it stick ? Would you care to risk that.

Even if it doesn't you are now in the system and we can see if you fit the description of suspects in any sex crimes nationwide where handcuffs have been used.

Yeah go ahead and carry then IDIOT.

jakflak
09-18-2005, 04:55 PM
First off, not being trained properly on using Handcuffs os your first mistake. Second, in most states including Alaska, it has to be a FELONY before you can make a citizens arrest...

Actually, a citizen in Alaska can make an arrest for a felony committed out of his/her presence or a misdemeanor committed in his/her presence. There's very little difference in arrest powers for a citizen or a cop.

Bodie
09-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Pretty much anywhere ACTUALLY a citizen can make an "ARREST" for a felony in progress but do you really want them doing that and carrying handcuffs and deciding what is a felony and what is not ????

jakflak
09-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Pretty much anywhere ACTUALLY a citizen can make an "ARREST" for a felony in progress but do you really want them doing that and carrying handcuffs and deciding what is a felony and what is not ????

Of course not. How did you read into what I said and come up with that?

BrickCop
09-19-2005, 11:42 AM
He should carry a pair, that way the cop who arrests him will not have to use his own. :D

This guy must be one of Gall's Top Ten customers.

BTW this is one of the goofiest posts I have seen in my 5 years on O.com... :eek: What's next cruising the neighborhood in his self made marked CV w/blue lights?

nypdauxsgt
09-19-2005, 07:32 PM
dated material

Creeker
09-20-2005, 02:46 AM
... What's next cruising the neighborhood in his self made marked CV w/blue lights?

I can hear it now:
"Your car is ILLEGALLY parked on the wrong side of the street for a Monday. Move your car in the name of "Spiderdude P.D." blaring from the 10 inch PA horn mounted to the roof of his 1972 Dodge Polara with the rusted out wheel wells, trunk, and floorboards right beside his $3.00 magnetic bubblegum machine that he found at Spencers in the same isle as the spray can-o-farts.

WCSO106
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I just can't figure out why he would want to carry cuffs anyway... Usually when you go to cuff someone they're fighting like hell and even a small guy can take several officers to get them down and cuffed... It isn't very often you go to cuff someone and they just give you their hands and let you cuff them.. and that is a Uniformed Officer cuffing them... I know what I would do if some average joe blow came up and tried to put cuffs on me... too many hours of defensive tactics classes on handcuffing and cuffing combative subjects.... used to love to act the part of the combative subject during training :D

NSAPoland
06-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about. If it wasnt for "wannabe" and other people their would be 50% less activity on the forum and 50% less police officers. Everyone has to start somewhere, a wannabe turns into a great police officer. That one guy that said that he would arrest the person for having handcuffs in his pocket for being in possession of "criminal tools" . BS. I could tie your *** up with tooth floss , r u gonne arrest me for carrying that. I can use my belt to tie up and rape a victim , are you gonne make people stop wearing belts? Anwser the kids question politly and show respect and you will get it back. The only reason this post has come back up is because i was researching the same question for a friend. I am shocked by the amount of **** that was posted, and am glad I dont see these people on the forums much now.

PPDMO373
06-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about. If it wasnt for "wannabe" and other people their would be 50% less activity on the forum and 50% less police officers. Everyone has to start somewhere, a wannabe turns into a great police officer. That one guy that said that he would arrest the person for having handcuffs in his pocket for being in possession of "criminal tools" . BS. I could tie your *** up with tooth floss , r u gonne arrest me for carrying that. I can use my belt to tie up and rape a victim , are you gonne make people stop wearing belts? Anwser the kids question politly and show respect and you will get it back. The only reason this post has come back up is because i was researching the same question for a friend. I am shocked by the amount of **** that was posted, and am glad I dont see these people on the forums much now.

Ummmmm.....this thread has been dead for almost 9 months....why bring it up other than to stir the pot.......? And that's what your doing with all your smartass comments.... :rolleyes:

SgtScott31
06-10-2006, 01:38 AM
wannabe turns into a great police officer

ummmm...no...many don't.

BrickCop
06-10-2006, 08:47 AM

His question was answered although I'm sure he'd appreciate the whining on his behalf.

BTW Floss is designed to floss teeth, belts are designed to hold your pants up, handcuffs are designed to securely restrain/control someone's hands/arms. Do you see the pattern here Sherlock? Which item would cause a cop to raise an eyebrow if it was on a civilian's person? It may not be illegal but we gave him a reality check, we did him a favor.

This is not a Disney forum- we tell it like it is. In most of our opinions the kid needed a wake up call and we had a few laughs. As far as being glad that there aren't (as you claim) many of "these people" on the forums, to that I say...Yawn. That thing under your right hand can click you to another site in 1/100th of a second if we don't get your stamp of approval.

And to answer your belief that a wannabe who carries his own cuffs would make a good cop....you are as clueless as he is. I've done dozens of background investigations and I would not look too favorably upon a civilian who carried cuffs for no apparent reason. Would that automatically wash him out- of course not but at the very least I'd question his maturity level.

besafe2
06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Go ahead and buy a pair, Because you just are not going to listen.
No they are not illegal to own and carry .... It's just plain STUPID to do it

Former leo here:
What he said.......FYI my handcuffs stay at home.

FNA209
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Man! You guys just flame flame flame , grown Police Officers and people that say they are Police Officers flaming like little boys. **** ,the guys asks a question cause thats what the forum is about.

Yep, and now it's time to flame you. Your profile shows you're a student and not an LEO. I highly suggest you take a reading comprehension course. If you pass it, revisit the "Ask-a-Cop" section and read the rules.

I think they are clearly written, but maybe they are too hard for you to understand.

Centurion44
06-11-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/newbie3.jpg

e-man
06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
WHY oh WHY are they ALWAYS STUDENTS...?

bullitt48
06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
get a pair of cuffs, you and your gf have fun with them, and leave 'em at home attached to the bed, you'll be better off.

synth
05-18-2013, 01:08 AM
I know this is kind of a dumb question, but I was just curious, can civilians carry handcuffs on them, for defensive purposes, in case they would want to make a I guess u could call it a "citizen's arrest" if attacked. I recently bought two pairs of S&W handcuffs, one hinged and one chain linked, and I carry them both in a double cuff case on my belt. I know handcuffs are different from firearms, and knives, and are used to restrain subjects. I'm even thinking about being a cop after I get out of the Navy (I'm going into the Navy). Honestly, I wouldn't want an attacker to get away after attacking me, I would fight back and cuff him until the proper authorities arrived.

Starfleet Officer
05-18-2013, 07:44 AM
There I go, taking the bait before I realize it's an old thread. Disregard.

T-A-H-O-E
05-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Didn't realize this was so old... Whoops!

We as LEO go through an Academy and pretty much everyday end up throwing the cuff on each other practicing. My academy was 6 months, 100 days, or 22 weeks however you wanna look at it. In the academy everyone is standing stagnant "allowing" you to put hand cuffs on them, and you still mess it up. Training on foot pursuits and then cuffing someone for example: A NIGHTMARE, your tired... He's tired but still wants to fight... Your hands are sweaty... And his arms are sweaty which allows you no grip. All of those factors thrown in with Adrenaline = NIGHTMARE.

So yes you need to have proper training. In the 5 years since my academy NONE of my arrests has the person assumed the proper handcuffing position and allowed my to place the cuffs on them the right way. Also there is a lot of muscle memory that goes into cuffing some. You said you wear the cuff pouch on your belt? The first time "something" happens I can almost garuntee that the last thing that going through you head is "gotta grab my cuffs". Handcuffs can turn from "restraint" to "weapon" in a heart beat.

I think what everyone is trying to relay to you is that we as LEOs don't want to see you, a civilian, get hurt trying to cuff someone. Considering there was no need for it.

As far as the pull the trigger comment, come on now bud.... Get real with yourself. If you still need motivation read this and think about it for at least 15 minutes.

"What goes on around you... compares little with what goes on inside you."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

TacMac
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.

wutzcrack3n
07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Zombie apocalypse thread! ;)

LA DEP
07-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Guys he can use handcuffs to defend himself. If someone tries mugging him he can just pull out his handcuffs and start whacking him with them. I mean nunchucks are cheaper, but it's so much more fun to use handcuffs.

Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....

SmallTownCop89
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Why would you want to? Especially not being trained to use them. Handcuffs will jack you up, think about it. It's basically a saw blade and the last thing you want is some poop stick swinging them at your face/head.

TacMac
09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Chucks are also a felony in at least one state (CA).....

I was joking...

FlyingPig1
09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
I carried them as a cop in CA. Good tool.

JDGM0710
09-25-2013, 09:31 PM
So you're saying it takes training to know how to properly use handcuffs? It's only a matter of making sure they're not too tight on the person you handcuffed, and be sure they're double locked.

This is a joke, right? SMH Try telling that to any Academy Instructor, and see what their response is.

JDGM0710
09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
This is a joke, right? SMH Try telling that to any Academy Instructor, and see what their response is.
Sorry Guys!
LOL I took the bait, didn't realize how old the thread was:D But my comment to the OP still stands.