PDA

View Full Version : Can someone make sense out of police directing traffic for me?

Spee-Dee
08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
This is something they never taught us in Drivers' Ed. because usually there's no one directing traffic unless there's an accident or something. Anyways last night there was a huge accident in a major intersection and there was a PO trying to direct traffic, but honestly I couldn't make sense of what he was trying to direct. He was going so fast that it honestly looked more like he was doing para-para* than directing traffic. The fact that it was dark and he had all the strobe light bars going on behind him didn't make it much better. All that was missing was the chotchy Civic with the huge stereo and crappy techno booming. But seriously though, how am I as a driver supposed to try and make sense of something like that? I can figure it out if they PO is going slow enough, but this guy was just giving it with the arm swinging, the hand thing where one hand goes up while the other goes down repeatedly, then came the hand stop movement (I knew what that meant as I had seen it in many dance videos ie: Spice Girls' "Stop"), it's hard to describe. You really had to be there to understand why it was so confusing for me.

*See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Para

Centurion44
08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
If you can't understand a police officer directing traffic, you don't need to be driving.

dvsmnstr
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
After reading some of your other posts, maybe you were driving too fast to notice what he was doing?

This is something they never taught us in Drivers' Ed. because usually there's no one directing traffic unless there's an accident or something. Anyways last night there was a huge accident in a major intersection and there was a PO trying to direct traffic, but honestly I couldn't make sense of what he was trying to direct. He was going so fast that it honestly looked more like he was doing para-para* than directing traffic. The fact that it was dark and he had all the strobe light bars going on behind him didn't make it much better. All that was missing was the chotchy Civic with the huge stereo and crappy techno booming. But seriously though, how am I as a driver supposed to try and make sense of something like that? I can figure it out if they PO is going slow enough, but this guy was just giving it with the arm swinging, the hand thing where one hand goes up while the other goes down repeatedly, then came the hand stop movement (I knew what that meant as I had seen it in many dance videos ie: Spice Girls' "Stop"), it's hard to describe. You really had to be there to understand why it was so confusing for me.

*See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para_Para

Tennsix
08-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Motorist like you make traffic control one of our most hazardous tasks

Spee-Dee
08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
If you can't understand a police officer directing traffic, you don't need to be driving.

They don't teach this in driver's ed. Perhaps they should. I wasn't driving too fast. I was stopped!

If you're all so knowledgable, why not explain it to me?

Like I said, when they go slow it makes sense. It also makes sense when I'm only drivng straight and not waiting to turn left as there's no break in traffic for me to turn during.

Darkwulfe
08-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I don

Tennsix
08-17-2005, 04:30 PM
They don't teach this in driver's ed. Perhaps they should. I wasn't driving too fast. I was stopped!

If you're all so knowledgable, why not explain it to me?

Like I said, when they go slow it makes sense. It also makes sense when I'm only drivng straight and not waiting to turn left as there's no break in traffic for me to turn during.
What were the other motorists doing?

gotthblues
08-17-2005, 04:35 PM
well, its all pretty simple, slow down, pull your head out yer butt, and pay attention, how hard is it to comprehend * hand up palm facing you = stop (you got that one) hand waving you forward (come on) hand pointing to left or right (go that way) how is that hard :confused:

Spee-Dee
08-17-2005, 04:40 PM
well, its all pretty simple, slow down, pull your head out yer butt, and pay attention, how hard is it to comprehend * hand up palm facing you = stop (you got that one) hand waving you forward (come on) hand pointing to left or right (go that way) how is that hard :confused:

The hand would only point left or right for about 2 seconds and then he'd start calling oncoming traffic. I can't go from stopped to left over three lanes in two seconds without gunning it, which is illegal.

gotthblues
08-17-2005, 04:46 PM
The hand would only point left or right for about 2 seconds and then he'd start calling oncoming traffic. I can't go from stopped to left over three lanes in two seconds without gunning it, which is illegal.
accelereating is illegal,,,,wow that sucks.

Tennsix
08-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I am sure the nice officer would have gladly approached your car and provided detailed instructions, had you just laid on the horn and flashed your headlights.

Try that the next time, it is sure to get results.

Tennsix
08-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I would interpret that as meaning,

jnojr
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
He was just trying to annoy you, Spee-Dee. You should have flipped him the bird and then cut through traffic to be on your way. You're much too important to sit there and let some jack-booted Fascist thug play games with you.

gotthblues
08-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I am sure the nice officer would have gladly approached your car and provided detailed instructions, had you just laid on the horn and flashed your headlights.

Try that the next time, it is sure to get results.
damn, i hope there is camera at the intersection, you better put a disclaimer with that :D

cajunguy
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Quote: " . . . from stopped to left over three lanes . . . "

In my part of the country, we would call that "improper lane usage". Sounds like it would've been citation writin' time to me.

(Also another one for disobeying the directions of a Law Enforcement Officer.)

(And maybe a few more for kicks.)

(And . . .)

Oh hell, I quit.

OfficerDotCom
08-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Stop speeding. If we really had to be there, probably no one can comment

Next time take video so everyone does :)

Thread closed.