PDA

View Full Version : What to wear for written test?

Florg
06-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Quick question. I'm guessing making a first impression is important, even though I'm likely not going to be noticed out of the hundreds of applicants. Any suggestions on whether I should go with nusiness casual or a suit for the written test? It's an all-day event (I think 8 AM - 4 PM) so I'm leaning towards business casual.

Also, I have a black suit with very faint pin stripes -- not traditional enough or should I be OK?

Looks like I need to make it through the written and I should be OK for the rest. No background besides a couple speeding tickets in my life, BA degree, involvement in campus internship program, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Brett S.

GPOC
06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Almost all at my written test had a suit on......no jewelry except a wedding ring,no facial hair,and a haircut

Florg
06-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Glad I asked. Suit it is.

Any opinions on very faint pin stripes on a black suit?

Thanks,
Brett

normy0
06-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I've taken probably about 7 or 8 written tests at this point. Out of all of them I have seen very few in a suit. Most people just dressed casually. I just wore a polo shirt and some khaki dockers. With the polo shirt I was dressed better then 90% of the people. Hope that helps.

m_chevy
06-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I agree with normy. Most are there just looking for a job. Very few are actually serious about starting a career. Probably only 5-10 percent are really serious. Polo, Khakis, Decent Shoes, No Facial hair, and a consevative, fresh haircut. I recommend a two-day old haircut (unless it's a high-and-tight) for any scheduled contact with the agency.

ngor324
06-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Florg
06-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all of your responses, everybody. I think I'll be going with the suit, thinking it'll be better to make a good impression, regardless of what others may be wearing.

Looking forward to the process, this is only the first department of many I'll be applying with.

Thanks again,
Brett

ngor324
06-16-2005, 10:11 AM

mdcop4life
06-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Quick question. I'm guessing making a first impression is important, even though I'm likely not going to be noticed out of the hundreds of applicants. Any suggestions on whether I should go with nusiness casual or a suit for the written test? It's an all-day event (I think 8 AM - 4 PM) so I'm leaning towards business casual.

Also, I have a black suit with very faint pin stripes -- not traditional enough or should I be OK?

Looks like I need to make it through the written and I should be OK for the rest. No background besides a couple speeding tickets in my life, BA degree, involvement in campus internship program, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Brett S.

This is the only part of the phase you can get away without wearing a suit. Infact, once you take the test usually they will tell you "if you get further in the process, from now on you wear a suit."

Good Luck

Florg
06-16-2005, 12:37 PM
What department are you applying with?

Good 'ol Portland Police Bureau.

Serpico
06-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Good 'ol Portland Police Bureau.

I was looking into applying with them. They help with relocation as well as offer assistance in owning a house.

As for wearing a suit for the written, I wouldn't. Maybe for a Federal position, but not local. I took my writtens in Detroit and wore a pair of dress pants, some dress shoes, and a decent button up. One numbnuts that was there wore a jersey and a hat.

Airforcop
06-18-2005, 09:58 PM
You can never go wrong with a suit. Personally, I wore khakis and a button up shirt. Like someone else said, even with that, I was dressed better than 95% of the people in there. From that point on, they usually told us, or suggested what we should wear.

wayno1806
06-19-2005, 08:42 AM
less than 40 applicants = suit and tie

More than 100 applicants = Khaki and dress shirt.

visit www.***************************** for additional help.

ftlaudcop
06-19-2005, 08:58 AM
watching a episode..." in living color".....MEN ON FILM.....
you can get a idea froma male point of view what to wear......... :eek:

www.schackdaddy.com

EC2179
06-19-2005, 01:21 PM
The best I have seen so far is the guy who came in dressed like Jeff Foxworthy...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/180px-Jeff_foxworthy.jpg

But seriously, I would say to wear a black or grey suit along with a solid color conservative dress shirt for all of your appointments with the department.

GPOC
06-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Capitol Police Yesterday................website advised businees attire

100-125 people

12 max. in suit and tie

the rest in...................shorts,jeans,old and new t-shirts,2 guys with basketball jerseys,several with hats/visors...1 chick 175+pounds with a hot red tang top showing her fat rolls....................go figure :eek:

lfinest
06-20-2005, 02:01 AM
I was signed up to take the written on the 25th of this month for Portland Police. Luckly I was hired last week for the first department that I applied for. Portland is hiring around 75 officers in the next couple of months. The test is run by human resources and there will be a ton of applicants at the Expo center. I would suggest business casual to stay comfortable in because there is no way that you will become an "individual" with all of those people. There will be little person to person contact.

Florg
06-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Again, thanks for all of the responses everybody. So far, I'm leaning back towards khaki's/button-up shirt/maybe tie.

ewufan, if you don't mind me asking, what department did you end up getting hired at? Congrats on your first pick. Other departments I'll be applying at: Vancouver PD, suburbs of PDX, counties of PDX/Vancouver, and Kootenai County in Idaho if the previous don't work out.

Again, thanks all!
-Brett

kttref
06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
See around here you're told by officers administering the tests "Don't wear a suit to the written, it's a waste of your time and mine..."

I've always work jeans and a polo shirt and have been fine. I may not have a job yet, but I'm pretty far along in a few locations.

Just my 2 cents.

lfinest
06-20-2005, 06:24 PM
I am an officer a department north of Portland in Washington. I was about to get a job at Vancouver Police as well, but Longview was the first to offer the job. I liked the people at my department a lot more, and the pay is better. :) Though I have only been in a couple of oral board interviews, I studied my butt off by looking at these forums and others such as policetesthelp.com. I just read the message boards, didn't have to sign up for their services or anything.

I have a friend that is working for Kootenai county this summer on the lakes in Idaho. Sounds like a pretty good gig.

Florg
06-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I am an officer at the Longview Police Department. I was about to get a job at Vancouver Police as well, but Longview was the first to offer the job. I liked the people at LPD a lot more, and the pay is better. :) Though I have only been in a couple of oral board interviews, I studied my butt off by looking at these forums and others such as policetesthelp.com. I just read the message boards, didn't have to sign up for their services or anything.

I have a friend that is working for Kootenai county this summer on the lakes in Idaho. Sounds like a pretty good gig.

Congratulations on the job. Thanks for the tips, I'll be checking out policetesthelp.com this evening. I usually score well with these sort of tests but I've heard PDX has one of the hardest. I'll be going through Public Safety Testing.com as soon as I'm confident that I'm in decent shape.

Yup, Kootenai County has the yearly lake thing, I know of at least one officer that started there and now works for Pullman. Sounds like great experience plus you're on the lake all day.

Swole2005
06-27-2005, 01:30 AM
I wore a sweat pants and a hoody while I was taking my written exam..HAHA.

I didn't even think about wearing a suit and tie for the exam because right after the written exam is the physical exam. Guess its different down here. I just wanted to be comfortable while I was taking the 3 hour exams. But i did however saw some cowboys take the exam in their tight jeans, hats, and boots and a nice shiny buckle belt. I thought Texas Walker Ranger was about to join the department.