PDA

View Full Version : Depression

Alley Cat
04-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Can anyone tell me ....
If you have been diagnosed with depression and now you have a clean bill of health, Does that still disqualify you from a career in Law Enforcement?
Specifically in Michigan...
Thank you

jakflak
04-30-2005, 11:17 AM
I didn't have any problems with it because I got it under control years ago. The department didn't seem to have a problem with it because of that.

Delta784
04-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I'll be honest....it certainly won't work in your favor, but if you've been cleared by your physician, I don't see it as a huge negative either.

Alley Cat
04-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your reply!

Brav989
04-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Can anyone tell me ....
If you have been diagnosed with depression and now you have a clean bill of health, Does that still disqualify you from a career in Law Enforcement?
Thank you

Don't think they could, that would be an ADA thing. Lawsuits would start flyin.

jakflak
04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Don't think they could, that would be an ADA thing. Lawsuits would start flyin.

No, the ADA doesn't apply to depression in Law Enforcement. It's been clearly shown that depression is exacerbated by a Law Enforcement carreer and cops who have it are prone to suicide.

They can do that.

Brav989
04-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes but if the person is on medication and is having zero problems with it, why would it matter?

Brav989
04-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Anyone? Is it actually a disqualifier to be on anti depressant type medication?

theugly
05-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Anyone? Is it actually a disqualifier to be on anti depressant type medication?

Anytime you're carrying a loaded gun, and the authority to use that gun if your occupation requires it, odds are you can't be on anti-depressants or other mind altering meds.

It is a disqualifier for entry into the Armed Forces, so policing is probably right there.

JHoek
05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Can anyone tell me ....
Thank you

depends on a lot of factors. How long ago was this, where you on any meds, are you still on meds, did you every live at a facility (ie Pine Rest) due to the depression.

If it was just a minor case of the blues, you took some pills and feel OK now, then I don't see it being an automatic DQ. But, it certinaly is not to your advantage.

Alley Cat
05-01-2005, 06:17 PM
depends on a lot of factors. How long ago was this, where you on any meds, are you still on meds, did you every live at a facility (ie Pine Rest) due to the depression.

If it was just a minor case of the blues, you took some pills and feel OK now, then I don't see it being an automatic DQ. But, it certinaly is not to your advantage.

Thank you for all the replies!
JHOEK, it was over a year ago, I plan on starting the academy this coming fall. I was on antidepressants, but been off them over a year now. I didn't have to live at a facility. The depression was brought on by overworking,(lousy management and working 7 days, 10 to 15 hour days for months at a time). Quite the job and been fine since.

connor
05-01-2005, 07:05 PM
I've been off and on anti depressants for much of my career. I've said right on my yearly physicals that I've been having problems with depression and am taking meds for it. Never heard a peep from the admin over it.

Runs w/scissors
05-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I've been off and on anti depressants for much of my career. I've said right on my yearly physicals that I've been having problems with depression and am taking meds for it. Never heard a peep from the admin over it.

At least you're not hitting the bottle (to self medicate) like a few cops I've seen. :)

Alley Cat
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
At least you're not hitting the bottle (to self medicate) like a few cops I've seen. :)

I agree with you, Runs w/scissors!

connor
05-02-2005, 03:46 AM

The only thing hitting the bottle ever got me was some scars on my hand. Since then I tend to tip it and drink whats inside. (I'm actually being literal here - I really did hit a bottle once and have two neat little scars on my hand from it).

But to the point, I've tried the self medication route too. The alcohol use never got so bad that it hurt me negatively beyond gaining some weight.

The other thing is that the problems I've had are not job related. My brain is hard wired to always have a chemical imbalance. Its something I've struggled with since my teens.

Brav989
05-02-2005, 06:10 AM
The other thing is that the problems I've had are not job related. My brain is hard wired to always have a chemical imbalance. Its something I've struggled with since my teens.

Same with me I believe. I've been on antidepressant/social anxiety meds for the last 7 years (with a one year break). It runs in my father's side of the family ( a lot of them are on meds). So I just have to deal with it I guess. Just really scared that it may bar me from law enforcement when I eventually do decide to start testing actively. :(

Chiram
05-02-2005, 06:35 AM
I was diagnosed as depressed and anti-social by the high school guidance couselor. While it did come up in my background, my BI called me and said, "Hey, did you know that your guidance counselor said you were depressed and anti-social?" "Umm...what?!?" "Yeah, that's what I thought. Just checking."

But this situation will more than likely have a different effect if you were diagnosed by a qualified physician. I don't know. I'm shutting up now.

Brav989
05-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Yea. I took myself off of them for a year and was fine for quite a while. Then my mood began to slip. Finally just went back to the doctor and elected to put myself back on them. Basically all that happens when i'm off the medication is my mood slips and I feel down/sad more than I should. Other than that i'm fine.

Brav989
05-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Finally received my 'straight from the horses mouth' answer about depression. This is from a Vancouver PD recruiter .. - "Dear Brendan,
There are many Officers that take anti-depression
medication. Although each case is reviewed separately I would not let
it stop me from applying."

So to all the others who have had/have a depression problem, don't sweat it :p

personallyjulia
05-04-2005, 04:31 PM
According to the SD here, being on anti-depressants is not an
auto- DQ. You have to have a clear bill of health from your doctor stating what type of meds., what they do, and assurance that as long as they are taken properly, they will not affect your ability to work in LE. This letter is to be taken in to the doctor when you do the psychological testing. Main thing here.... BE HONEST.