PDA

View Full Version : Rank Insignia

SammyCal1
04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
I am a newly promoted lieutenant and I am getting conflicting advice on the proper location of the bar. Some people are saying collar, some people are saying epaulet, and some are saying both. Where is the proper location? My chief has me wearing on the collars and shoulders. I thought this was a little over kill, but I don't mind. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sammy

Chiram
04-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Typically, police rank insignias are worn like military dress uniform insignias, but slightly different. For Lt., Capt., and Major, on the collar, either at a 45 degree angle, pointing to the corner of the collar (military style) or flat against the forward leading edge of the collar (so a difference can be told). Depends on if you are real close to a military base or not as to which way you wear.

Atleast that's how it was put to me.

itawamba8
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
we don't have rank where i work but there is a guy i know that was a captain at a small dept and he had his bars on the shoulder, collar, and even sewn on to the sleeves, I gave him hell about it all the time.
anyway every body around here wears theirs on the collar

Chiram
04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Typically, the only rank insignias that are sewn on the sleeve are for NCOs, much like the military. Patrolman first class, Corporal (senior patrolman), Seargent, Seargent First Class.

Stan Switek
04-29-2005, 04:08 AM
The Lt's on my department wear the bars on their shirt collar. On the jacket they bars are on the shoulders.

SWATcop
04-29-2005, 06:16 AM
The Lt's on my department wear the bars on their shirt collar. On the jacket they bars are on the shoulders.
Same here.

Creeker
04-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I am a newly promoted lieutenant and I am getting conflicting advice on the proper location of the bar. Some people are saying collar, some people are saying epaulet, and some are saying both. Where is the proper location? My chief has me wearing on the collars and shoulders. I thought this was a little over kill, but I don't mind. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a Chief that likes redundancy... or is trying to see how well you will follow his leadership ...or never worked from the ground floor up.

He is either someone who is unsure of his own stature, needs people to validate him, or is ignorant.
Your call :rolleyes:

trafficcmdr
04-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Second the motion...

PeteBroccolo
04-29-2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks

Sammy
Does your Department have to follow a State uniform dress code?

If not, does your Department have written uniform dress policy?

If no to both, then I guess you would have to follow Chief Redundant's lawful order.

Then again, I am never going to be wearing rank badges!

keith758
04-29-2005, 12:40 PM
We do it the way Stan says.

PTI
04-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Are you sure you're not from California? Our Lts out here can't make a decision either. Wonder if its from the lobotomy when you promoted to Sgt or the spine removal when you made Lt.? :D Don't go gettin all worked up now either, I'm just messin with you.

SammyCal1
04-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Okay PTI, you got me. That was a good one. LOL :p

Thank you everyone else. I'm going to take them off of the shirt epaulets and put them on my jacket's epaulets. The chief will not give me a hard time about it.

Sammy

webjeep
04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
The collar insignia should be paralell with the lower edge of the collar and centered (usually about 3/4" above the lower edge of collar). Shoulders only on the jacket or sweater.

-web

Stan Switek
04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Are you sure you're not from California? Our Lts out here can't make a decision either. Wonder if its from the lobotomy when you promoted to Sgt or the spine removal when you made Lt.? :D Don't go gettin all worked up now either, I'm just messin with you.

We always ask the new lieutenants if we can see the scar on their back from the operation.

VegasMetro
04-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Here is a blurb out of our policy manual:

INSIGNIA OF RANK

Lieutenant

Lieutenants will wear one bar fixed to each side of the collar of the uniform shirt, 3/4 inch from the leading edge and centered between the top and bottom edge of the collar.

wpd78
04-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Our LT's will wear the insignia on the collar, however individuals often will find various novelty items (such as shoulder boards etc.) and will wear those because they think they look good. To much insignia is overkill...besides the bottom line is that you have the rank and those who need to know it already do.

Slippery Pete
04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I wear my LT bar on my right collar, and crossed sabres on the left.

Oops, wrong uniform. :D

We do it the way Stan mentioned.

The Joker
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks

Sammy

I would think your department SOP covers that.

The Joker
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I am a newly promoted lieutenant

Moe Larry the cheese! :D

SammyCal1
05-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I would think your department SOP covers that.

If we had an SOP that covers it, I wouldn't be asking you guys. Also, I never paid much attention before because I didn't think I go this far. Although now I am writing our SOP's and I will be including uniform insignias when I get to it.

Sammy

Curt581
05-03-2005, 04:14 PM
If we had an SOP that covers it, I wouldn't be asking you guys. Also, I never paid much attention before because I didn't think I go this far. Although now I am writing our SOP's and I will be including uniform insignias when I get to it.
Sammy
Don't forget to put in the policy that the propeller on Lieutenant's beanies has to be gold, and free-spinning.

Beanies for Captains and above would have gold propellers, and would also have embroidered 'scrambled eggs' on them.

Line Officers and Sergeants would have plain black beanies, with two round ears attached. This would symbolize Department Philosophy

Chiram
05-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Don't forget to put in the policy that the propeller on Lieutenant's beanies has to be gold, and free-spinning.

Beanies for Captains and above would have gold propellers, and would also have embroidered 'scrambled eggs' on them.

Line Officers and Sergeants would have plain black beanies, with two round ears attached. This would symbolize Department Philosophy

OMG! I have laughed more today than ever before on here. LOL

Creeker
05-04-2005, 03:02 AM

*ROFL*

Might I add that the Capt. and above propellers should be mechanised so that they don't need to look as useless when they arrive on a Crime Scene to be seen and stand around and drink coffee... at least they will be creating a breeze on a warm day.

tntkop
05-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Our Lts wear their insignia on their back pockets, 'cuz their heads are usually up their butts!

wmac
05-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Then again, I am never going to be wearing rank badges!
CFL, Pete? I thought I was too... I got lucky.

I wish we still had collar dogs. I liked them better than the epaulets. Not that it matters... I'm in plain clothes.

-Mac

PC-Burney
05-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Hi, I'm interested in finding out what the Rank structure is in the US. Where in relation to the list below does 'lieutenant' & 'Captain' come?

Here in the UK it runs like this....

Police Constable
Sergeant
Inspector
Chief Inspector
Superintendent
Chief Superintendent
Assistant Chief Constable
Deputy Chief Constable
Chief Constable

Matt :)

1sgkelly
05-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Wear it any way you want; as long as the guys who matter know who you are the rest can go take a flying leap.

:D

SammyCal1
05-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi, I'm interested in finding out what the Rank structure is in the US. Where in relation to the list below does 'lieutenant' & 'Captain' come?

Here in the UK it runs like this....

Police Constable
Sergeant
Inspector
Chief Inspector
Superintendent
Chief Superintendent
Assistant Chief Constable
Deputy Chief Constable
Chief Constable

Matt :)

For most local police departments, as opposed to a Sheriff's Department or state police, it goes:

Patrolman
Sergeant
Lieutenant
Captain
Deputy Chief
Chief

Some places might have a corporal between patrolman and sergeant and some places have various grades of detective.

Hope this helped.

Sammy

Netopalis
05-09-2005, 08:24 AM
http://www.uniforminsignia.net/

Rita
05-09-2005, 01:39 PM
At our agency, LT's and above wear the "brass" on the epaulet, anything below that goes on the collar.