PDA

View Full Version : Police Class A - Military Ribbons

Catman
04-26-2005, 12:29 PM
For those who are veterans and are permitted to display their military ribbons on their Class A's or Honor Guard uniforms, where do you put them? On most police coats the badge is displayed where the ribbons would normally go. Some depts like the MA state police wear their badge on the pocket flap to avoid conflict. We were talking about putting the name tags on the right pocket flap and displaying the ribbons over the right pocket.

irishlad2nv
04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Just a question. Why would you put your military ribbons on your Police Uniform anyway? I mean I know you deserved them, etc, but why put something like and AAM, Overseas , etc on a Police Uniform? I mean if you are Airborne, Scuba, Air Assault, etc. and your department utilizes those schools, liek NYPD does, that would make sense, but I jjst don't see putting Military Ribbons on a Police uniform, especially if it might be against Military Regulation...just curious. Let me know what you guys do though.

Slippery Pete
04-26-2005, 04:22 PM
It would never have occured to me to put my military ribbons on my Sheriff's uniform... not that I have any ribbons to be particularly proud of anyway.

Delta784
04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Our dress jackets are the old, traditional double-breasted with the two rows of vertical buttons. They don't have pockets, so our military ribbons (optional wear) go above the badge, which sits lower than on a shirt or regular jacket.

Catman
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Just a question. Why would you put your military ribbons on your Police Uniform anyway? I mean I know you deserved them, etc, but why put something like and AAM, Overseas , etc on a Police Uniform? I mean if you are Airborne, Scuba, Air Assault, etc. and your department utilizes those schools, liek NYPD does, that would make sense, but I jjst don't see putting Military Ribbons on a Police uniform, especially if it might be against Military Regulation...just curious. Let me know what you guys do though.

Many departments do, especially around here. Civil service was originally set up for veterans to attain civilian jobs after WWII and later. Even today, MA gives alot of preference to veterans when it comes to hiring and promotion. Law Enforcement was always a career heavily comprised of veterans and is still a para military organization so there is alot of connection. Until recently we had a huge number of Vietnam veterans and all of them displayed their ribbons. Since the inception of our honor gaurd it has always been appropriate to display military ribbons. As far as military regulations I don't know and I really don't care since they don't apply to me anymore but I would imagine it would be the same as a VFW uniform, etc.

Ribbons tell alot about your military career to other veterans and active duty military and is a source of pride.

Catman
04-27-2005, 03:00 AM
I did find this on another forum for those who care:

Here is a snippet from the USAF Standard AFI 36-2903 Chapter 4

4.4. Wear of Awards and Decorations by Retirees and Honorably Discharged Veterans.

Honorably discharged and retired Air Force members may wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits on appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. Female members may wear full-size or miniature medals on equivalent dress.

PeteBroccolo
04-29-2005, 09:49 AM
My Force's policy is:

- Name Tags: worn just above, and centred on, the top sewn edge of the right breast pocket on our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier and patrol jackets. This is for both hook-and-loop backed type cloth (dark blue with either gold or subdued grey embroidered letters) and pin-and-clasp engraved plastic (blue with white letters for Constables and NCOs, gold with black letters for Officers) tags. Pin-and-clasp tags may be attached to, and centred on, the flap of the right breast pocket of our storm (winter coats). NO tags are worn on our Red Serge tunics;

- Police or Military Service, or other authorized Government and other Agency Awards: undress ribbons are worn just above, and centred on, the top sewn edge of the left breast pocket of our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier, or blue serge double breasted jacket. If awarded more than one such medal, the ribbons may be mounted side-by-side in order of precedence. Full-sized medals and ribbons are worn in a similar position on our Red Serge tunic (Regular Members) or blue serge double-breasted jacket (Auxiliary Constables) for ceremonial occasions;

- RCMP Commanding Officer or Commissioner Commendations: sterling silver(CO), or gold (Comm), rectangular (for our Regular Members), or oval (for our Civilian Members, Public Servants, Auxiliary Constables or any other person), pins, with enamelled triangular royal blue and gold accents, and 1, 2, or 3 bison heads (dependent on the number of such commendations awarded) may be worn centred on the left breast pocket flap of our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier, blue serge double breasted jacket, or Red Serge tunic (if no medals authorized - if so, this pin is worn just below, and centred on, the bottom point of the left breast pocket flap);

- Years-of-Service: 1 embroidered gold on royal blue star for every completed five years of service, sewn, and centred, on the left sleeve level with the breast pocket of our Red Serge tunics or blue serge double-breasted jackets;

- Previous Achievements:
- - 1 embroidered gold on royal blue set of crossed pistols and/or rifles (with centred top crown for Expert perfect score on either or both) sewn, and centred, on the left sleeve just above the point of our Red Serge tunics or blue serge double-breasted jackets (pistol over rifle) for Sharpshooter level on annual qualification;
- - 1 embroidered gold, red and white on royal blue set of crossed lances in a similar location as above (above the Sharpshooter) for previous tour with the Musical Ride.

Catman
04-29-2005, 11:17 AM
We're actuallly moving to actual medals on the honor guard uniform in lieu of ribbons. Since the honor guard uniform would be considered our most formal dress the medals are more appropriate. We just need to decide if we will go with miniature medals (mess dress). The minis may be better since they will not dominate the uniform.

orlandofed5-0
04-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Shoot I should go to Mass just so I can wear my BS AF training ribbons.

FNA209
04-29-2005, 06:27 PM

That's just wrong! :(

Any medal or ribbon a person has is important to that person. Don't mock it.

Catman
04-29-2005, 09:07 PM

You can do what ever you want, dumbass. Some of us are proud of our service.

orlandofed5-0
04-30-2005, 12:05 PM
You can do what ever you want, dumbass. Some of us are proud of our service.

I find it to be great and wonderfull that you are proud of your service. If you want to wear military ribbons reenlist, commission with whatever branch you were in or are intrested in. Military ribbons do not belong on police uniforms. There is a difference in being a civilian and being in the military.

Delta784
04-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I find it to be great and wonderfull that you are proud of your service. If you want to wear military ribbons reenlist, commission with whatever branch you were in or are intrested in. Military ribbons do not belong on police uniforms. There is a difference in being a civilian and being in the military.

It's unfortunate that you, by your own admission, only have some "BS AF training ribbons". Some of us have some meaningful ones, and we're proud to display them.

The military doesn't have a problem with it, so why should you?

FNA209
04-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I had heard that there was at least one PD that let their officers wear ribbons denoting military medals (silver star, bronze star, purple heart, etc), but this thread got me to check on it and I didn't find anything on Google.

Our PD just formed a color guard and they are thinking about using the enameled pins for various awards on the dress uniform. They need to find a vendor and that weird holder that sticks up above the badge. Anyone use them?

Catman
04-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Next time you attend a Memorial day parade make sure you tell all those veterans that are marching to take their ribbons/medals off. Give me a break. There is a difference between being a civilian and in the military, but just because I'm a civilian doesn't change the fact that I'm a veteran and will always be.

Catman
04-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I had heard that there was at least one PD that let their officers wear ribbons denoting military medals (silver star, bronze star, purple heart, etc), but this thread got me to check on it and I didn't find anything on Google.

Our PD just formed a color guard and they are thinking about using the enameled pins for various awards on the dress uniform. They need to find a vendor and that weird holder that sticks up above the badge. Anyone use them?

Like the ones that NYPD has?

Delta784
04-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Next time you attend a Memorial day parade make sure you tell all those veterans that are marching to take their ribbons/medals off.

Not to mention all those posers who wear their Congressional Medals of Honor, the bunch of show-offs. Let them go back into the military if they want to wear them in public. :rolleyes:

Watchman
04-30-2005, 06:47 PM
WOW...

I dont know of any dept. around here that allows wear of military ribbons.

In my S.O. probably 50 percent of deputys are ex military.

Is this a northern thing ?

That Guy
04-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Next time you attend a Memorial day parade make sure you tell all those veterans that are marching to take their ribbons/medals off. Give me a break. There is a difference between being a civilian and in the military, but just because I'm a civilian doesn't change the fact that I'm a veteran and will always be.

I'm sure I'll get stoned for this......................
I agree that maybe with a dress uniform for a specific function,but not everyday use. The term "uniform" is just that "uniformity". This applys with unit patches that alienate themselves from the rest of the officres. With my dept. SWAT, EOD, and even Traffic have thier own arm patches so they can feel special along with all the home cars that look like military recruiting boards with unit crests and branch stickers. Another question is what about other countries military service? We have a guy that severed with the Mexican Army (insert joke here). Will he be allowed to display, for he too is a vet.

TGY

Catman
04-30-2005, 09:19 PM
WOW...

I dont know of any dept. around here that allows wear of military ribbons.

In my S.O. probably 50 percent of deputys are ex military.

Is this a northern thing ?

I don't think so.
http://www.lapdonline.org/general_information/honor_guard/images/img20.jpg

Catman
04-30-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm sure I'll get stoned for this......................
I agree that maybe with a dress uniform for a specific function,but not everyday use. The term "uniform" is just that "uniformity". This applys with unit patches that alienate themselves from the rest of the officres. With my dept. SWAT, EOD, and even Traffic have thier own arm patches so they can feel special along with all the home cars that look like military recruiting boards with unit crests and branch stickers. Another question is what about other countries military service? We have a guy that severed with the Mexican Army (insert joke here). Will he be allowed to display, for he too is a vet.

TGY

No one's talking everyday use. It is for special occasions (parades, memorial day, etc).

Delta784
04-30-2005, 10:41 PM
I agree that maybe with a dress uniform for a specific function,but not everyday use.

Ummmm....read the title of this thread.

We have a guy that severed with the Mexican Army (insert joke here). Will he be allowed to display, for he too is a vet.

If he was currently a member of the Mexican Police, that would be appropriate.

That Guy
04-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Ummmm....read the title of this thread.

I did read the post, its called "agreeing". ;)

I didn't have the honor of serving since I was DQ'd from the military.
TGY

FNA209
05-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Like the ones that NYPD has?

Yeah, those. I've done some searches, but I'm not finding them (probably calling them the wrong thing).

Back on topic.

If my PD allowed wearing mil awards on the dress uniform, and if I had a dress uniform, I'd probably wear a few of mine. :cool:

I'm proud of my service. Some of the ones I was awarded are, IMO, more genetic issued awards, but some of them denote actual achievements and actions that I are proud of. While in the military, I didn't always wear ALL of the ribbons I had, but I always wore certain ones.

I can certainly find language in Army Reg AR 670-1 that would be interperted as such wording that would allow police officers to wear their awards. I'd bet that the USN (USMC) and USAF regs have similar language.

SIGman1
05-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I would not have any problem with a fellow officer wearing his military ribbons. I can understand how he would be proud of them, even though I have never served in the military.

As far as where to wear the ribbons, I would NOT go with that NYPD-style holder that goes above the badge. Every time I see an officer with 20 ribbons sticking way up, I cringe because that just doesn't look professional. Wear them on the uniform itself. They actually look good under the badge like the LAPD honor guard officer is wearing them.

FNA209
05-01-2005, 11:45 PM
As far as where to wear the ribbons, I would NOT go with that NYPD-style holder that goes above the badge. Every time I see an officer with 20 ribbons sticking way up, I cringe because that just doesn't look professional. Wear them on the uniform itself. They actually look good under the badge like the LAPD honor guard officer is wearing them.

I think the Sgt that's writing the proposal is including a limit to the number of citations that can be worn. I'm trying to stay out of it, but I told him I'd try to find a vendor for those things. Heck, the department will never issue me a Class-A uniform anyway, so chances are it will never affect me. :rolleyes: (They told us we could purchase our own- I am still laughing about that.)

Our policy for extra accouterments for the duty uniform says we can wear a "FTO" or "EMT" pin above our name tag and one additional one below- either a citation bar or a firearms qual bar. Nobody wears the firearms qual bars. I don't wear my "FTO" pin and I've never got a meritorious service citation (come to think of it, I don't think anyone has, at least for the years I've been here. Our old Chief wasn't much on recognizing anyone.) I keep my duty uniform as bare as possible. IMO, the less glitter the better on the daily duty uniform.