PDA

View Full Version : So what country has the best police force in the world?

Dazza
04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
While there are undoubtedly many outstanding forces in many different countries, the English are probably the best. Let's face it, they developed such concepts as finger-printing and DNA when the rest of the world was (and in many cases still is) in the dark ages. Respect to the constabularies and the English intellect! I hope that we may catch up one day.

Bart
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
i think iceland has the best force. :rolleyes:

Welpe
04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I hear the Chinese Police Forces are rather progressive...

Bart
04-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I hear the Chinese Police Forces are rather progressive...

ya they do. you steal a car, they cap your *****. you sell or buy dope, they cap your *****. you rob somebody, they do a little kung fu and then they cap your *****. :D ;)

Dazza
04-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Bart, Welpe, I too found it difficult to accept but c'est la vie. By the way, is French permitted here? You are on a slippery slope to suggest that Iceland has the best force. As for China, it's the art of fighting, without fighting, but don't you think we need more room?

RabbitMPD
04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
The USA! :D Hey somebody needed to vote for the US.

RabbitMPD
04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
ya they do. you steal a car, they cap your *****. you sell or buy dope, they cap your *****. you rob somebody, they do a little kung fu and then they cap your *****. :D ;)
I forgot but doesn't turkey have the death penilty for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

Welpe
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Bart, Welpe, I too found it difficult to accept but c'est la vie. By the way, is French permitted here? You are on a slippery slope to suggest that Iceland has the best force. As for China, it's the art of fighting, without fighting, but don't you think we need more room?

Well you're going to find I don't particularly care! The only country I intend to police in is the United States. Just how it is so why even worry about it? :rolleyes:

theugly
04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
While there are undoubtedly many outstanding forces in many different countries, the English are probably the best. Let's face it, they developed such concepts as finger-printing and DNA when the rest of the world was (and in many cases still is) in the dark ages. Respect to the constabularies and the English intellect! I hope that we may catch up one day.

Great question.

The Japanese: Great communicators, as are English Constables, but what gives them the advantage is they are black belts in Japanese martial arts.

They don't have the constraints put on them like American police do, otherwise we'd be talkin a WHOLE different matter. American police are the bravest!

Bart
04-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I forgot but doesn't turkey have the death penilty for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

i know theyre strict about drugs but im not sure they go that far. there was a chicken head that used to work my district 24-7 whom i had a pretty good rapport with. she had a work ethic that would have helped her go far in life had she chosen a better line of work. she must have seen 15-20 johns a day. anyway, last i heard, she hooked up with a mule and went to turkey as his assistant mule. she ended up getting caught with the goods and got life but they didnt kill her like they would have if she had been in china. sad story but we all make our own beds in the end. :(

3/4s
04-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Great question.

The Japanese: Great communicators, snip

I had a Lt. who came from IAD. A real putz. He was telling some rookies about Japanese Community Policing like he would know. :rolleyes: Anyway he tells the rooks the Japanese beat cops have to make a personal visit to everyone on their beat twice a year. I said with all the authority I could muster :) "Yes, their birthday and Christmas" and ran out the door! :p He hated me. :D

Stan Switek
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
snip

I had a Lt. who came from IAD. A real putz. He was telling some rookies about Japanese Community Policing like he would know. :rolleyes: Anyway he tells the rooks the Japanese beat cops have to make a personal visit to everyone on their beat twice a year. :D

Knowing the population density in many areas of Japan, that guy is full of it.
Most members of the public I talk to think community policing is way over rated. The needs an wants of the public are very simple. When they call the police, they want them to show up in a timely manner, treat them with respect & handle or solve the problem correctly the first time. They want to feel safe in their community. Most could care less about having tea & crumpets with the beat officer.

Sleuth
04-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Actually, the Japanese police work under some really different rules. Yes, they are expected to visit ever resident twice a year. They have to pry into how the children are doing in school, if they are sexually active, has anyone been sick, where you work, what hours, what pay, who your friends are, etc.
If you have overnight guests, you are expected to visit the "Police box" and tell them who, where they are from, how long they are visting, etc.

Plus, there are few protections we enjoy. You can be held without charges, and without outside contact. They is no law to prevent the police from beating you until you confess, which is how they have such a high confession rate.

But, since we cannot define "best", it's an open question.

In Russia, before the wall came down, there was no crime. Why? Because there were no criminals, only insane people. After all, since they had created the 'perfect' society, only the insane would be 'anti-social'.

Dazza
04-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Samuel, when you state that "this post sounds like rectal cavity pontifications to me", what exactly do you mean? Does your use of the word 'rectal' refer to being of, for or near the rectum, or could it just be a sigmoid flexure to the anus?

And when you speak of cavity, is that a hole or hollow place, or a natural hollow within the body or even a hollow place in a tooth? Could it not even be a cylinder with a rod in the center enclosed by conducting walls and serving as a resonator for electromagnetic waves?

I dare say you are acting as a pontiff, but you may even be acting in a pompous or dogmatic way. Seems clear to me.

Sleuth, I commend your insularity.

Welpe
04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Sounds more like a case of cranial rectumitis....or maybe he's a collge professor? :confused:

1sgkelly
04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Ireland, but that was easy; Ireland has the best of everything.
;)

SIGman1
04-06-2005, 07:57 PM
I think KATHY Ireland is AOK! :D

I'd certainly like to visit that Ireland! :eek:

Caprice66
04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
The USA! :D Hey somebody needed to vote for the US.

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Of course the best in the US is right here were I take up residence... ;) .

savage4presiden
04-07-2005, 10:53 AM
This is kind of related. I did some research a while back and discovered that the U.S. has the highest confession rate of all police forces in the world. That's gotta count for something, right?

ZenMarine
04-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Actually, the Japanese police work under some really different rules. Yes, they are expected to visit ever resident twice a year. They have to pry into how the children are doing in school, if they are sexually active, has anyone been sick, where you work, what hours, what pay, who your friends are, etc.
If you have overnight guests, you are expected to visit the "Police box" and tell them who, where they are from, how long they are visting, etc.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your "information" is bogus. Cops asking about your kid's sex lives?!? :confused: Puh-lease!! A cop asking *that* kind of question cuold very well find himself under investigation for pedophilia. I have lived in Japan for over seven years. My last job was translating and interpreting J-E so I speak/understand the language well. I was only visited by a cop doing his mythical "check" *once* in the whole time I have been here. He asked NONE of the questions you mentioned. It is none of their business what your pay is, what hours you work, etc. The check is basically confirming information that they can easily find out through the city office. You do NOT have to tell the police if you are having an overnight guest. That is nonsense.

Plus, there are few protections we enjoy. You can be held without charges, and without outside contact. They is no law to prevent the police from beating you until you confess, which is how they have such a high confession rate.

Battery by a cop is still battery, and officers here have been punished for it. Several cases have been thrown out in recent years because the confessions were false. Methinks your information is about 50 years old... Also the myth of "all Japanese cops are blackbelts" is pretty bogus too. It is like saying that all officers that have completed their Defensive Tactics training are "Blackbelts". Their academy is similar to any other, get 'em in, run 'em through the training, get 'em out. Here are your "Blackbelts" in action:

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0503/02cops.html :rolleyes:

Dazza
04-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Obfuscation, obfuscation, if only I could see through the clouds! I bow to your acumen Samuel, you must have completed your two tenure on the streets!

And when you ask about 'intimate knowledge', is that really necessary to express an opinion that I never claimed to be factual or accurate? Of course not, despite 9 years service in the U.K, 5 years in Australia and 3 years in the U.S. Yes, only 17 years service in 3 countries.

It Smells like cavity pontifications to me!

Sleuth
04-07-2005, 08:58 PM
The facts I quoted are from the book "The Mountie, the Samuri, and the Cowboy". I don't have it here, so I can't tell you the author's name or the publisher. The book was comparing the gun laws and criminal justice systems of various countries, and is, indeed, about 15 years old.
If, ZenMarine, you were with the U.S. Government at the time you were there, you may have been exempt from the police inquiries.

And I never said anything about "blackbelts" in my post. Please don't put words in my posts.

DMS 525
04-08-2005, 05:19 PM
My vote goes for the German Polizei. Tough, sharp, and they don't take anyone's crap. Yet, those I had the opportunity to talk to were some of the nicest guys I have ever met. Very professional.

co911
04-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Samuel is right Dazza, time on has nothing to do with it. You could have been a cop in Mudgee in Oz for all we know, where you would have learned less in 5 yrs than a cop in Bankstown would have in their first 3 months. Same goes for the USA. A rookie officer in Rampart would have seen and done more than a 20 yr veteran of most U.S police depts.

As for the example of the UK being so great, if that is correct, why are you a cop in the US? I know a few ex-Pommie coppers who now work as officers in the US but don't know a single American officer who went to the UK to be a cop. English police forces from my contacts, are over-politicized, under-resourced, underpaid, and extremely politically correct. They have too much paperwork, not enough equipment and are excessively scrutinized by their "bosses." The weather sucks and the courts don't support them either.
You think the copper on the beat in Brixton give a frog's fat *** about DNA or fingerprints? They are more concerned that there isn't any backup available.

The initial question is, I'm sad to say, dumb. Which country has the best police force? Puh lease. There are not that many nations which have only one police force so is the question asking, "which of the over 20,000 US depts is the best, then compare that dept to international agencies?" Dumb. The comment that the USA has the bravest cops is insane given that officers in South Africa are dying in their hundreds every yr. These guys wear 30 lb body armor to work while hundreds of thousands of US cops on thousands of depts don't even wear it.

Personally, I don't think you can beat the resources, money or working conditions of US law enforcement. And that's after 13 yrs in 3 countries.

JohnKelly
04-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Well you're going to find I don't particularly care! The only country I intend to police in is the United States. Just how it is so why even worry about it? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's fair enough Welpe, but contrary to what you have been led to believe, let's pretend for one moment that there is in fact life outside of the USA.

Ireland, but that was easy; Ireland has the best of everything.

My word Kelly.

JohnKelly
04-09-2005, 11:42 AM
......Personally, I don't think you can beat the resources, money or working conditions of US law enforcement. And that's after 13 yrs in 3 countries.

That's a pretty broad statement co911, in relation to the working conditions of US Law Enforcement Officers.

My understanding is that there are Police Officers in the US who are hired and fired at the whim of some local shop keeper who has been elected as Sheriff.

PDWard40
04-09-2005, 06:27 PM

Now thats funny! still laughin about that, especially the kung fu part!
Good stuff lol!

friedom77
04-09-2005, 07:21 PM
i'll start with 2nd place so i don't get accused of being ethnocentric

RCMP

PTI
04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
My vote goes for the German Polizei. Tough, sharp, and they don't take anyone's crap. Yet, those I had the opportunity to talk to were some of the nicest guys I have ever met. Very professional.

Sounds like the toilet paper we had when I went through the academy. :D

co911
04-10-2005, 04:57 AM
"My understanding is that there are Police Officers in the US who are hired and fired at the whim of some local shop keeper who has been elected as Sheriff."

It was a very broad statement John because it is difficult to generalize about US law enforcement. Unlike Australian depts, we have more than simply one police force for each state or territory. Your post is correct, many deputies working for SO's and in some states, police officers also, can be fired without recourse. Then again, most US cops don't have multiple watchdogs looking over their shoulders (such as PIC, SCIA, Ombudsman), suffer from a massive lack of resources, cope with substandard working conditions (demountables as police stations), have low pay, or poor funding. Unlike their Aussie brothers, most US cops don't have too much of a problem getting a uniform that fits, or is appropriate for their role, proper equipment or relevant training. I know where I would rather be working.

JohnKelly
04-10-2005, 05:46 AM
...It was a very broad statement John because it is difficult to generalize about US law enforcement...... I know where I would rather be working.

And as you would well know, it's just as difficult to generalise about the Police Forces of Australia....I know where I would rather be living and working.

So, it looks like we are both happy and content and I know that you are pretty impressed by our Patrol Cars ;)

The Aussies have it ALL over us for patrol cars. This vehicle has to be one of the best cars to ever wear police colors.

http://www.acay.com.au/~jbartok/Vic_MarkGTO.jpg

Cheers.

1sgkelly
04-10-2005, 07:10 AM
Yeah, that's fair enough Welpe, but contrary to what you have been led to believe, let's pretend for one moment that there is in fact life outside of the USA.

My word Kelly.

Yeah John and they exported some of the best of the best to other parts of the world like Australia and the US. ;)

MPII
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
First and foremost - does it really matter?

Our brothers and sisters across the globe are all doing the same job - Policing.

Yes, it's true that here in the UK we've been pioneers in some aspects of law enforcement, but lets not forget, we're a very old country that's been around for a lot longer than some others. Despite being advanced in some areas, I think we're slightly behind the times in others.

It will be a long time before the 'perfect' balance is achieved by any Police Force in any country. :(

CGPD4566
04-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Obfuscation, obfuscation, if only I could see through the clouds! I bow to your acumen Samuel, you must have completed your two tenure on the streets!

And when you ask about 'intimate knowledge', is that really necessary to express an opinion that I never claimed to be factual or accurate? Of course not, despite 9 years service in the U.K, 5 years in Australia and 3 years in the U.S. Yes, only 17 years service in 3 countries.

It Smells like cavity pontifications to me!

To me...it sounds like you're full of $hit.

JohnKelly
04-11-2005, 12:06 AM
First and foremost - does it really matter?

Our brothers and sisters across the globe are all doing the same job - Policing.

Yes, it's true that here in the UK we've been pioneers in some aspects of law enforcement, but lets not forget, we're a very old country that's been around for a lot longer than some others. Despite being advanced in some areas, I think we're slightly behind the times in others.

It will be a long time before the 'perfect' balance is achieved by any Police Force in any country. :(

Well said, and that just about sums it all up.

Cheers.

ag9295
04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
On a lighter note;

My Dad always used to say (talking about himself) "only a dumb mick would leave Ireland for the streets of gold in America and end up being the one guarding them", and my mother would always come back with "yeah, but only a guinea would be dumb enough to marry him"

No offense to anyone intended. Thought I better say that before I get attacked.

Welpe
04-11-2005, 12:24 AM

I believe you've misread my post, John. I did not intend to sound like the United States is the only country in the world (which of course, I know is not true nor was I "led to believe" such a thing).

My point was that I have no intention of leaving the United States, I am happy here. So to me, it really does not matter. I honestly don't know...nor care...who has the "best police force in the world" (if such a title coul be applied).

The heart of the matter is, why DOES it matter? :confused:

My sincerest aplogies again if you took offense.

co911
04-11-2005, 04:47 AM
"And as you would well know, it's just as difficult to generalise about the Police Forces of Australia....I know where I would rather be living and working."

Actually John, no. I am quite confident in asserting that all your law enforcement agencies are underpaid, understaffed and under-resourced. It's not difficult to generalize about Australian depts becasue they all suffer from the same serious issues. I am just as confident in the fact that you are unable to say this about all US LE agencies. I have lived and worked in both Australia and the US. I make my choice to live in the US based upon actual experience. On what do you base yours if you have never lived or worked here?

"So, it looks like we are both happy and content and I know that you are pretty impressed by our Patrol Cars".

You have me there! Problem is, I have a very good buddy who is a HWPman in NSW. He always boasts about the speed and performance of his patrol car, which is impressive. However, I simply remind him that on many occasions he is racing to a scene he is not even allowed to handle. Consider the policy on a barricaded gunman, a riot, or a school shooting. Mr NSWHWPman has neither the training, nor the equipment to deal with the incident or even to prevent it continuing or sadly, accelerating. No tactical training, no shotgun, no access to a rifle, nothing. So why race to the scene, only to wait until properly equipped and trained cops (SPG TOU) respond to take over? At least here in the US, patrol officers deal with serious incidents which require a law enforcement response, ourselves.

JohnKelly
04-11-2005, 09:57 AM
I believe you've misread my post, John. I did not intend to sound like the United States is the only country in the world (which of course, I know is not true nor was I "led to believe" such a thing).

My point was that I have no intention of leaving the United States, I am happy here. So to me, it really does not matter. I honestly don't know...nor care...who has the "best police force in the world" (if such a title coul be applied).

The heart of the matter is, why DOES it matter? :confused:

My sincerest aplogies again if you took offense.

No worries Welpe, it does indeed look like I misread your post, for I thought that you were going to start the Chest Beating, Flag Waving, America is the greatest stuff.

The whole Thread is really pointless, there is no country that has the best police force in the world and I should have had more sense. :rolleyes:

JohnKelly
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
"And as you would well know, it's just as difficult to generalise about the Police Forces of Australia....I know where I would rather be living and working."

Actually John, no. I am quite confident in asserting that all your law enforcement agencies are underpaid, understaffed and under-resourced. It's not difficult to generalize about Australian depts becasue they all suffer from the same serious issues. I am just as confident in the fact that you are unable to say this about all US LE agencies. I have lived and worked in both Australia and the US. I make my choice to live in the US based upon actual experience. On what do you base yours if you have never lived or worked here?

"So, it looks like we are both happy and content and I know that you are pretty impressed by our Patrol Cars".

You have me there! Problem is, I have a very good buddy who is a HWPman in NSW. He always boasts about the speed and performance of his patrol car, which is impressive. However, I simply remind him that on many occasions he is racing to a scene he is not even allowed to handle. Consider the policy on a barricaded gunman, a riot, or a school shooting. Mr NSWHWPman has neither the training, nor the equipment to deal with the incident or even to prevent it continuing or sadly, accelerating. No tactical training, no shotgun, no access to a rifle, nothing. So why race to the scene, only to wait until properly equipped and trained cops (SPG TOU) respond to take over? At least here in the US, patrol officers deal with serious incidents which require a law enforcement response, ourselves.

:) co911, sorry, it ain't going to happen. I have seen you regurgitate the above on other Police Forums and having read it all before, including the responses from my fellow Australians :eek:, I have no inclination to go through it again.

Brav989
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
I was in Japan visiting as a civilian. Never encoutered any of that when I visited family for a couple of weeks. Never went to a Koban.

BrickCop
04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
There is no way anyone can accurately answer this question unless you are an expert on the inner workings of every PD in the world. To me the obvious answers are Departments in the US, UK, etc... but who knows for sure?

I saw a very interesting show about a ritualistic murder case Scotland Yard was investigating. The headless/limbless torso of a child was recovered from the Thames (?) river. These Detectives methodically pursued the case through several countries. They actually went to several remote places in Africa to talk with some primitive tribal witch doctor types who gave them the info they were looking for.

It was amazing how thorough these guys were. They ID'd a couple of prime suspects but despite their hard work I believe they did not have enough evidence to charge them.

Dazza
04-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Amazing that such a 'dumb' question has had so many responses! Somewhat ironic CO911, wouldn't you say? And Samuel, my 'idiotic and condescending' attitude has only affected you and CO911. I wonder why that could be.......rectal pontifications again.

tony.o
04-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Dazza, I don't want to dump on anyones police force, but I know your healthcare system sucks. Our police websites must be the best since you had to come here and stir things up with your loaded question, so you could show all of us how proficient you are with the "English" language. I could hear your arrogant accent by reading your words. You're probably mad because we re-elected Bush. I think Rumsfeld said something about the new Europe being the east and you reside in the old Europe (limp wristed socialist girlie men). I apologize to the right wing conservative few who still reside in your country.

co911
04-17-2005, 03:38 AM
"Rectal" or not Dazza, where do you choose to live and work? You didn't sidestep the issue with your usual grace this time.

If you ask the question, at least have the cajones to engage people in discussion without spitting the dummy because you don't agree with their view.

ZenMarine
04-17-2005, 06:45 AM
The facts I quoted are from the book "The Mountie, the Samuri, and the Cowboy". I don't have it here, so I can't tell you the author's name or the publisher. The book was comparing the gun laws and criminal justice systems of various countries, and is, indeed, about 15 years old.
If, ZenMarine, you were with the U.S. Government at the time you were there, you may have been exempt from the police inquiries.

And I never said anything about "blackbelts" in my post. Please don't put words in my posts.

Sorry about that, mate. Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you personally. I have lived here as a civilian since 1998, living in typical Japanese apartments situated in typical Japanese neighborhoods. If they were consistant in their checks, I would have experienced it. Looking on the net for info about the book, I see that the author compared several countries " Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Japan, Switzerland and the US." I highly doubt he spent several years living in each country before writing his book, so he very likely based his info on something He read, not personally experienced. :rolleyes:

tony.o
04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Hopefully he's back in England, if not, I'm sure he's residing in a blue state. Three years in the US- I've got a bottle of mustard thats been sittin in my refrigerator longer than that.

SMPPD87
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Israeli police are no joke

AnGardaSiochana
10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Its impossible to pick the best or even the worst force out there.

For starters you have to consider training, equipment, legislation, pay, jurisdiction, physical abilities, mental abilities, experience, location and so on.

We all do a tough job and I think its safe to say we dont get nearly enough support or pay, nuff said!

To my knowledge, and I by no means claim to know every force, we have the longest and most complete initial training system however we dont learn firearms or driving in initial training so thats a minus for us. I would hazard a guess that we are one of the most underfunded and resourced forces out there.

Restriction in jurisdiction goes against all US forces but equipment wise you guys are streets ahead in general. Your also one of the better when it comes to use of force.

The Aussies have kick *** cars as do the Germans.

In terms of an overall picture I would say either the PSNI/MET based on my knowledge of other countries without either force actually being number 1 in any area. They have good training, good equipment, good employment rules and decent sized units.

According to John F. Timoney (NYPD Chief then) if the Gardai had the resources that the NYPD had there would be no crime in the country. Actually I think he said "You guys dont know how lucky you are, you have the finest officers in the world but also the most understaffed and underresourced". Yeah, I agree ;)

As for you Zen, "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
-Jeff Cooper

We never run away thank you very much!

PeteBroccolo
10-15-2005, 11:43 PM
i'll start with 2nd place so i don't get accused of being ethnocentric

RCMP
EXCUSE ME?!? 2nd place?!!?!? :mad:

DaveNT
10-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Geez, what an impossible question to answer. Ive had 28 years on the job and visited many police services around the world and have found pros and cons in every one. Ive also worked amongst police in an international setting (UN Police). I found some countries provided police of a very poor standard, but none that I worked with (including US, Canadians and English) stood out to be of higher interlect or better trained.

ftlaudcop
10-16-2005, 08:31 AM
the so called best.......

police...pay, public support equipment,

court system........giving out punishment....why arrest the same idiot...if the court is going to give him.....huggs and kisss's cause of society's ill's

jail's / prison's - how many different approach's are we as a society going to try....rehab.....the jerk chose to hang with the scum and become scum,
however...he was deprived, grew up w/o this or w/o that, we make excuses,
for all these egg head social do gooder's to have job's.......if lil johnny goes to prison when he is 18 and does a 5 yr but for burglary,....word gets out to all the little wanna be johnny's......of why he is away and the why you shold not committ crimes.

hard core approach:.....lock em up and throw away the key....
you get a ware house system " school of crime " when they get out.

the system is a puzzle of interlocking pieces......which will never
get solved...every generation....someone is throwing a monkey wrench
in the works....so the other's cannot effectively do their job.

www.schackdaddy.com

ftlaudcop
10-16-2005, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=ftlaudcop]the so called best.......

police...pay, public support equipment,

court system........giving out punishment....why arrest the same idiot...if the court is going to give him.....huggs and kisss's cause of society's ill's

jail's / prison's - how many different approach's are we as a society going to try....rehab.....the jerk chose to hang with the scum and become scum,
however...he was deprived, grew up w/o this or w/o that, we make excuses,
for all these egg head social do gooder's to have job's.......if lil johnny goes to prison when he is 18 and does a 5 yr bit for burglary,....word gets out to all the little wannabe johnny's......of why he is away and the why you shold not committ crimes.............

hard core approach:.....lock em up and throw away the key....
you get a ware house system " school of crime " when they get out.

the system is a puzzle of interlocking pieces......which will never
get solved...every generation....someone is throwing a monkey wrench
in the works....so the other's cannot effectively do their job....

www.schackdaddy.com

DMS 525
10-16-2005, 10:57 AM
On a lighter note;

My Dad always used to say (talking about himself) "only a dumb mick would leave Ireland for the streets of gold in America and end up being the one guarding them", and my mother would always come back with "yeah, but only a guinea would be dumb enough to marry him"

No offense to anyone intended. Thought I better say that before I get attacked.
Makes me think of those Bugs Bunny cartoons, where they tend to stereotype cops as being big, dumb, and Irish.

I read somewhere once, "When I see the Irish, I think of the priests, the police, and the President!"

AnGardaSiochana
10-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Just thinking about this question again and I realised that its all down to the individual officer. you could take 10 cops from every force to see whos best and it could be the same force that produces number one and Mr Last.

Celtic16
10-16-2005, 05:40 PM
It was defenetly not one of the garda caught last year planting guns then pretending to find them LMAO..thats was funny :)

AnGardaSiochana
10-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Something rotten in Donegal Celtic thats for sure. Were taken a lot of heat because of that place but get it right, it was Bombs not guns and he was only found out last year, he did it 20 odd years ago.

Rattel
10-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Brickcop

Your above statement is partially right they did go to Africa, but they were dealing with the South African Police Service as we have a lot of experience with these type of murders.

http://iafrica.com/news/sa/929614.htm

AnGardaSiochana
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Hey man, your not in Durban by any chance? I was with the Irish team last year. Man good show, a hotel full off cops from about 30 different countries. Great experience.

Sleuth
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I have a candidate for the worst police force - several in fact. In the American South, many very small counties have "bubba" sheriff's - untrained, undereducated, but the mayor's cousin so he gets elected sheriff. Then he hires his relatives, gives them badges and guns, and turns them out as deputies.
(I can post this - our sheriff was just indicted for misuse of county funds, and forcing deputies to work on his house on duty time!)

TPD Cadet
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks of a polcie force thesame throughout the whole world?

I understand laws, and techniques are different, and some are more technologically "better" than others. But is the main goal of every PD not to make it safer for everyone else?

Who is to say that one force is better than another?

:D

Harry Callahan
10-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I admire the interrogation techniques of the police in Egypt & Pakistan. Very effective.

winq
10-19-2005, 01:47 PM
This reminds me of a story from a guy i used to work with, in NYCTPD. He went to Moscow, about 10-12 years ago, on some exchange program for two weeks to study police technics. He was in a patrol car with two uniformed officers. they responded to a drunk and disorderly call. They located the drunk-disorderly male. the Moscovite po's beat the crap out of him with small rubber batons, threw him in the rear of the car and took him into the station. At the station there was alot of loud yelling in russian and they then threw the guy into a cell. After speaking the moscow officers, he was told, "we took care of the disorderly part in the street, and now he will sit in the cell for several day to take care of the drunk part".

I call this stream line police work. no road bumps of a legal system.

edg103
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Hands down, no question: Mayberry. Andy and Barney had a lock down on crime. Where else can you go when the criminals lock themselves up-talk about authority! God, what a pointless question. :rolleyes: