PDA

View Full Version : How much does a new Officer make a year?

USAcop
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
How much does a new Officer make in a year?

My department starts new Officers at about $40,000 a year. This is without overtime.

I believe that Officers in the U.S. get paid more than our international brother and sister Officers.

Thanks for the answers....

jnhdrac
03-26-2005, 10:14 PM
My opinion/experience has been that cops tend to have fairly similar lifestyles in most countries, or at least most industrialized countries, even though salaries vary alot. I have talked to an RCMP officer who lived in a house much like mine, drove cars similar to mine, etc., but his salary converted to US dollars was somewhat lower than mine, roughly I was making 52-55K USD, he was making 45K. I knew an Australian who was in about the same boat. I have known some Germans who were making a decent amount more than me when their salaries were converted to USD, but again our lifestyles were similar. I have talked to several from the UK and their salaries converted to USD were also lower than mine, yet they were faced with very expensive property values, and an even worse tax situation.

Cockney Corner.
03-27-2005, 02:27 AM
USACop

You make the equivalent of $37,500 before over-time and (for some areas) regional living allowance when you're starting out. However, pretty much everything in the UK is more expensive than US equivalents (the same car will, as a rule of thumb, cost us the same in pounds as it will cost you in dollars and as for gas - fugeddaboutit).

JohnKelly
03-27-2005, 02:37 AM
My opinion/experience has been that cops tend to have fairly similar lifestyles in most countries, or at least most industrialized countries, even though salaries vary alot...................

I think that about sums it up jnhdrac.

At an international level I think that it is difficult to compare salaries because of the various cost of living factors.

I believe that as an Australian Police Officer I have the same standard of living as an American, Canadian, German, French, Irish, New Zealand or UK Police Officer.

In so far as life styles are concerned, well, Australia is not called The Lucky Country for nothing. ;)

I think that where comparisons can be made is in the conditions of employment.

For example I get 9 weeks Leave per Year, Accumulated Sick Leave of 15 days per Year, Long Service Leave, not sure how it works but I currently have over 6 Months Long Service Leave up my sleeve. Free Uniforms and so on and so on.

Wouln't want this Thread to turn out to be a ****ing Contest but it would be interesting to compare our conditions.

One of the things that I find surprising about the US, is how a Police Officer can be hired and fired at the whim of some elected official. :confused:

kirch
03-27-2005, 02:48 AM
Around here the highest-paying department starts officers at around $41K. After 3 years on the job an educational incentive kicks in -- 9% extra for a 2-year degree, 18% for a 4-year, 21% for a Masters (reduced from 27% when the department starting getting Masters-heavy). This doesn't include overtime. With OT and the educational bonus, I'd say most of those officers are making the $50-60K range.

The lowest paying departments are now in the low $30K range. That's a fairly recent change. It wasn't too long ago that starting cops around here were only making $23-$25k.

Strummer
03-27-2005, 10:27 AM
...One of the things that I find surprising about the US, is how a Police Officer can be hired and fired at the whim of some elected official. :confused:

John,

You'll probably find that this is NOT the case in most departments in the USA.

In my neck of the woods, all full-time officers are hired throuh a Civil Service process and their jobs are considered Civil Service jobs. That's not to say that they can't be fired, but it certainly wouldn't be on some elected official's whim.

Perhaps you are thinking of the more, erm ..."rustic" parts of the country...!!! I can't imagine any legit police force not having civil service status, though I'm sure there are some smaller Sheriff's Departments that may not, being that the Sheriff is an elected official.

Later.

Photogrrlz
03-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Our department before taxes and without OT is $39,936 and no holiday pay included.

That is pretty competive around this area and it is more than the big city makes.

Except we don't have shift differential pay either.

DETSGT
03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
Damn, I feel pretty good. When I left my department I paid tax on over 75,000 my last year (1994) This year my total pension is right at $55,000.oo
Of course I do believe that the cost of living in diffrent areas of the country have a lot to do with what you will get paid and what you will get when you retire.

Cockney Corner.
03-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, Police work beats digging ditches for a living. I've never dug ditches but I have dug basements and I know which I prefer to do for a living

Eastside
03-27-2005, 03:40 PM
John,
9 weeks of leave,9!!!!!!!

Holy cahones....Im on about 23-5 days of leave per year.Lawdy!!!!

We pay ok,could do better,however its the only job i know of that as long as you behave yourself,dont be stupid you'll always have a job with a reasonable amount of social standing...
Oh and free pants every year.

SWATcop
03-27-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow. Those are some impressive starting figures, considering that I got paid $18,600 my first year back in 1988.

DETSGT
03-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Heck if you want to talk about 1st. year's pay I started at $7,500.00 per year back in 1969.

KL
03-30-2005, 09:54 AM
In Canada for the most part police make the same. Some of my benefits in the RCMP are better than what other Canadian police get, but they might get slightly higher pay.

The starting salary for an RCMP constable is about $40,000. It goes up over three years to the top rate of about $65,000. All of your uniform and equipment is issued. The RCMP pays for all expenses related to sending you to your first posting and subsequent transfers. For the first five years you get three weeks leave. There are eleven statutory holidays a year. If you work them you get paid overtime. If they fall on your day off you get either paid for an extra day or another day off in lieu.

Our salary puts us right in the middle class for Canada. Policing is a well-respected profession here. It's on a par with teachers, firefighters and white-collar workers.

Photogrrlz
03-30-2005, 05:05 PM
SWATcop--- Wow. Those are some impressive starting figures, considering that I got paid $18,600 my first year back in 1988.

I say wow myself, in 1988 I was in grade school ;)

DETSGT--- Heck if you want to talk about 1st. year's pay I started at $7,500.00 per year back in 1969.

And.... I say damn in 1969 I wasn't even close to being thought of :D

:p :p :p

DETSGT
03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Yes Photo, but I most likely have children older than you are. They range from 25 to 38 years old. Damn I am getting old.

Photogrrlz
03-30-2005, 10:03 PM
well Detsgt, I can tell you I am the same age catagory as your kids ;)

Sgt Lobster
03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Please follow the attached link to see what we get paid in the UK:

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=39

I think we are currently getting around $1.88 to the

carabinero
04-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Maybe everyone here should just move to Australia...I mean with 9 weeks of leave we could probably retain full-time jobs here in the U.S.!!

Chiram
04-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Local PD is $19,800/yr before taxes and overtime. 3 weeks vacation, 10 sickdays a year.

Local Sheriff is $21,000/yr before taxes and overtime. Not sure on vacation and sickdays.

Groundhog
04-26-2005, 02:57 AM
This site http://www.policepay.net/ gives a pretty good overview of salaries & benefit packages. It only lists the 200 largest cities' departments though. No county PDs, Federal PD's, etc. It does have comparisons between all 50 states on TROOPERPAY.NET, & a handful of sheriff's departments on DEPUTYPAY.NET.

keith758
04-26-2005, 08:36 AM
When I started, I was getting $4.96 per hour. Now, our Deputies start at about $18.00 per hour. Road officers top out at $21.00 per hour.

Wyatt Earp
05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Seems like Southern California agencies make more than other areas of the country.

Tennsix
05-13-2005, 12:19 PM
When I started, I was getting $4.96 per hour. Now, our Deputies start at about $18.00 per hour. Road officers top out at $21.00 per hour.

Damn... Who was the sheriff then? Robert Peel? :D

KapsFB
06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Heck if you want to talk about 1st. year's pay I started at $7,500.00 per year back in 1969.
$12.500 in 1980 here; Now it's all gravy. I almost be afflu-ain't. :cool:

Urkki
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Some figures from Finland. For example new officer, that was asked, who has just graduated from academy and in that point, has 1.5 years of experience ( or inexperience ) of police work.

28000 euros before taxes ( 34400 $ ) , and for example 7000 euros ( 8600 $ ) for taxes.. ( "vacation-money" and not so much overtime included ). Vacation: couple of years after graduation you can have 36 days / year, which is enough for total of 6 weeks.

Couple of years ago a new "pay system" was pushed through by the goverment. So now the payment will not rise too (?) radically as you gain experience, but the most doubtful thing is that your closest superior can affect pretty much to your payment.. For example you are not co-operative enough ( with him/her ), or superior thinks that you aren

Urkki
06-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Sorry, mistaking: 9mm cheap FMJ 0.18 $ each ( hard to think, when you buy them in boxes.. also the currency changed couple years ago from finnish mark to euro. )

Sebastian
06-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Starting pay for a sheriff deputy here in California (at least in my county) $50-55,000 a year. Plus take home car and uniform allowance.

fjacky
07-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Here are some stats from the Ontario Canada area.

http://www.drps.ca/netscape/career/DRPS_Advantages.asp

same pretty much goes for the O.P.P.

Tommy999
07-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi, the pay scale for cops in the U.K is standard throughout the country and a rookie will start on

The Shield
08-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Now time to leave: "The Shield" is on the TV

No, I'm here.... ;)

For Belgium it is as follows; we get paid every month around 1300euro net. This is with taxes already taken off. Maybe you didn't know but in Belgium we have the highest tax rate on jodpay in the world!!! (top 3 every year again and again....) This is also without overtime....

Azzuri
08-12-2005, 11:13 PM
How much does a new Officer make in a year?

My department starts new Officers at about $40,000 a year. This is without overtime.

I believe that Officers in the U.S. get paid more than our international brother and sister Officers.

Thanks for the answers....

Nowhere NEAR enough for what we are really worth...

When road workers holding a stop/go sign get 20K MORE per year than us, something is very..very..wrong...

Sgt Lobster
08-14-2005, 02:53 PM
No, I'm here.... ;)

For Belgium it is as follows; we get paid every month around 1300euro net. This is with taxes already taken off. Maybe you didn't know but in Belgium we have the highest tax rate on jodpay in the world!!! (top 3 every year again and again....) This is also without overtime....

Are you provided with housing by the police?

Lobster.

SkyCop418
08-14-2005, 03:02 PM
We start out at 41K , plus 457K , dental health, and retirement. I made 86K my first year with all the overtime we get.

Udhi
08-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Just to add to the stats:
Me probationer, UK, I take home

The Shield
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Are you provided with housing by the police?

No. I am going to believe that we are underpaid here.... But that money from you guys, is that what you keep at the end of the year/month in your hands, I mean taxes etc, taken off???

Stan Switek
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
One of the things that I find surprising about the US, is how a Police Officer can be hired and fired at the whim of some elected official. :confused:

Only on TV.

www.policepay.net

Sgt Lobster
08-15-2005, 10:47 AM
No. I am going to believe that we are underpaid here.... But that money from you guys, is that what you keep at the end of the year/month in your hands, I mean taxes etc, taken off???

Monthly about

The Shield
08-15-2005, 02:27 PM
Damn man that is double that of me!!!!

But you don't become a cop for the pay, everyone knows that....
That's why we are currently trying for Australia.... change of horizons....

Sgt Lobster
08-15-2005, 04:10 PM
These are the proposed pay scales for UK officers up to the rank of chief inspector with effect from 01/09/05:

http://www.polfed.org/PayScales.pdf

Constables & sergeants are eligible for paid overtime & all ranks may be in receipt of various additional allowances.

The police in the UK are relatively well paid in comparison with most other public sector workers.

Superintendents & chief officers obviously earn more.

Lobster.

Ben(SPVM)
08-16-2005, 12:19 AM
here in montreal its little 27k a year for tempory and when your on probation its 34K a year...its pretty low....even if the cost of life is lower here its not much

Wyatt Earp
08-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Top step Deputy Sheriff pay in Ventura County, California is $5566.51 monthly($66,798 Annually).

Incentives/Benefits: 100% Retirement pickup, $675/yr uniform allowance, 20-30 days of annual leave, 9 paid holidays, up to $850/yr for textbooks & tuition, additional 2.5%, 3.5%, or 5%/yr in Education Incentive for an Associate, Bachelor

Leka
08-24-2005, 03:36 AM
You will lugh. Russian cop earns a year only 2000$. Who is surprised of our corruption?

DaveNT
09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
My Dept starts on about $50,000(Aus)plus consolidated shift allowance, rental allowance or rent free Govt supplied home.

We have 7 weeks leave per year and accrued long service leave ( I currently have 15 months owing on full pay),

We used to have free airfares on leave, but that stopped for new recruits a couple of years ago.

Free uniforms of course, then a range of other pay encentives like 5% extra to stay in general Duties, 5% tutor allowance if you help train junior members on the road etc..

But this relates to the cost of living and isolation from other Australian capital cities.

Using my free Bi Annual air fare, its cheaper to take a package tour to L.A./Hong Kong/Singapore then take the family to Sydney.

Dave

JustDontDie
09-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Seems like Southern California agencies make more than other areas of the country.
It's also one of the most expensive areas to live in.

Celtic16
09-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Well today i just got my test date for the PSNI (Police service of Northern Ireland) If i pass the test next month, i start training school in January i believe. The salary is 19.300GBP per year (including training) After the 1st year i believe it movies up to 20.000 GBP

NJladyGlock21
09-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Base pay
8 year steps
Probationary patrolmen start at $42,157.
completion of probation (1 year) salary is raised to $46,510.
Top pay (8th year) $95,312.

JohnKelly
09-24-2005, 08:16 AM
Well today i just got my test date for the PSNI (Police service of Northern Ireland) If i pass the test next month, i start training school in January i believe. The salary is 19.300GBP per year (including training) After the 1st year i believe it movies up to 20.000 GBP

My very best wishes go with you Celtic16 for even though you are joining one of the most renowned Police Forces in the world (RUC), the place where you are undertaking such police duties will make it be one of the most difficult and dangerous policing districts in the world.

BTW, I remember the days when the RUC was the top paying Force in the UK at 1000 Pounds per year. ;)