PDA

View Full Version : Air Marshals Hiring Soon?

INTHEAIRCOP
02-21-2005, 10:42 PM
If anyone is interested the Federal Air Marshal service will be hiring again in the next few months. I hear they will hire about 200 new hires. You will have to move if you get the postion. The money is real good but the job is REAL boring! First year about $52,000 , second year about$62,000, and third year about $82,000 yearly (salary and no OT). It is a 1801 series with LEAP.

Here is the web site you need to goto when the job opens up. I recomend you go ahead and register now and get ahead of the game.

www.avuedigitalservices.com

lsmalibu
02-21-2005, 11:22 PM
If anyone is interested the Federal Air Marshal service will be hiring again in the next few months. I hear they will hire about 200 new hires. You will have to move if you get the postion. The money is real good but the job is REAL boring! First year about $52,000 , second year about$62,000, and third year about $82,000 yearly (salary and no OT). It is a 1801 series with LEAP.

If I wasn't already in the pipeline to be a local smokey, I'd apply as a Air Marshal. Then again, I LOVE to fly.

Photogrrlz
02-21-2005, 11:25 PM
You know that would be a real good job except for one little thing....I am terrified of planes and flying and hate heights...guess I will stick with keeping my body out of the clouds....

Ugh....Just thinking of planes, I think of many ways the planes going to crash...I hate turbulance ugh....I would make a bad air marshal...lol...

Now I could kick terrorist butt, but not mother natures...

I would have to let the captain of the plane let me fly so I can feel secure.

Now I know I am tired this evening I am rambling.... :o

irishlad2nv
02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
I'd do it for the liqour..oh what I bet u can't drink while on duty...but what about the hott Flight Attendants...sorry I get side-tracked to easily! Honestly I know the money would be good, but I could not do that...i am rambling like photo:) :D

code3_K9
02-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Ive heard nothing but bad things about being an AM. High turnover rate, cant talk to passengers, jet lag, back to back flights.

I guess if your single, then it could be a pretty badass gig... not much for action though... :(

Photogrrlz
02-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Ive heard nothing but bad things about being an AM. High turnover rate, cant talk to passengers, jet lag, back to back flights.
:(

but can you get the movie headsets for free :D

irishlad2nv
02-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Liqour bottles...hott flight attendants...screw the free headsets...mile high club:D...ok enough out of me tonight...out...

code3_K9
02-22-2005, 01:08 AM
Liqour bottles...hott flight attendants...screw the free headsets...mile high club:D...ok enough out of me tonight...out...

You flown lately? Cause it looks to me like theyve been lowering the hiring standards... :(
Last couple of flights for me, Ive had some nasty *** lookin attendants...

JJS
02-22-2005, 12:16 PM

Will they post the information about the air marshals on usajobs.gov?

INTHEAIRCOP
02-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes they will post it on the usajobs web site. They just appointed 3 FAMS in my field office for the recruiters so I guess it will be soon.

NDubs55
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
anyone have the link to the Air Marshals website?

INTHEAIRCOP
02-25-2005, 07:00 PM
No Federal Air Marshal web page!
Not that it matters, but we were told today that we will not be converted to 1811's. I kind of knew that this was going to happen. The FAM service does not realy need to be 1811's but it would of been nice. (Here is a fact) The Fam service is the only 1801's in the feds who get LEAP pay. Normaly only 1811's get LEAP(i think).

irishlad2nv
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
http://www.ice.gov/graphics/fams/

INTHEAIRCOP
02-25-2005, 08:44 PM
I feel your pain

CarCop
02-26-2005, 04:30 AM
I guess you have to actually investigate things to be an 1811. It was a doomed argument from the start for the FAM's.

INTHEAIRCOP
02-26-2005, 07:06 PM
I AGREE WITH YOU! I just thought the idea to make every one under ICE 1811 so that all 1811's could rotate out of the FAM mission. I don't know if you know or if you are a 1811, but all 1811's, in ICE, are going to be trained to do FAM duties if we need them but then we can not help them. We were told that by us going over to ICE it would help us (fams) to move around, BULL S__T! Once again we were lied too!
I know that FAMs do not have to be 1811's for the mission we do. We are just basicaly under cover police on planes. I just do not see how the FAM agency is going to be able to keep us here for 20 years. Who in there right mind can sit on there butt for 20 years doing nothing but read newpapers and trying to stay awake. I sure can't. I just hope they do something soon because we have the highest turnover rate in the govt. I think I it is about 12-15 percent.
I am not saying this is a bad a job because it is a great job. It is just very boring and if you have a family, this is not for you. It is great for a few years but then you have to move on. I have been here for 3 years now and after one more year I am making a move. I am not sure what yet but a move YES!

Stan Switek
02-27-2005, 04:28 AM
I know several people who left their PD's for this job. They deeply regret it. I can think of few more boring or dead end jobs.

Capy829
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Intheaircop: do you know what where/are the hiring requirements for an air marshal?

P/O CASS
03-07-2005, 11:33 PM
INTHEAIRCOP: You advise that appointed hires will have to move. I would assume to the area of a major port. If so, is there residency requirements of some type, and if so, do you have to move frequently? Sorry for the multiple questions, just very interested. Thanks for any advise.

INTHEAIRCOP
03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
From my understanding the new hires will have to sign a mobility aggreement when they get hired. We / I did not have to sign one and a good thing for us! We only have 21 field offices and you have to live within 2 hours from the airport you are assigned. I would think that the bigger offices will be needing new hires first such as: D.C. , New York, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Miami. I am aslo been told that the field offices will be holding the interviews in the field offices. I am not sure what the hiring requirements are going to be but I would not sweat it. It is only a 1801 series postion so a degree is not needed. I would think that some law enforcement or military would be a start.

Here is some BAD news for the new hires. I was told today that the academy is a lot longer now! It is broke down into 2 phases.
Phase 1 is 8 weeks
Phase 2 is 7 weeks

BreakinChains
03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Anyone have a link for this?

INTHEAIRCOP
03-09-2005, 06:15 PM
www.avuedigitalservices.com

This is the web site the FAM service is using for the new hires. We are hiring 250 new FAMs. If you are interested goto this site, register, post your resume and fill out all the questions so that you will be ahead of the game. This is a new hiring site that the DHS is using and it looks like it will be replacing the old usajobs web site that so many of us feds have used for years. The great thing about this new site is everything is online and no more paper to mail. Even the KSA will be online and from what I hear is that the KSAs will now be very very easy to fill out. If any one needs help just send me a e-mail.

INTHEAIRCOP
03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Very Soon if anyone is still looking into the postion. Make sure you have updated you info. on the AVUE web site!

georgiaonmymind
03-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Intheaircop,
I still have next fall until I graduate with a BS, are these openings needed to be filled immediately? If I apply now, will they wait until December?

Orange Irish
04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I was, and still am, very interested in the FAM program, despite the many horror stories from the last few years. Does anybody know more about LEAP? Does that mean that if you work up to 50 hrs/wk you get paid straight time? If so, is the 52k starting salary based on 50 or 40hrs/wk? If it's based on 40/wk, then would the starting salary actually work out to be around 65k for the extra 10 hrs/wk?

Also, if anyone can share more info about the program, such as work schedule and transfer opportunities, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm wondering if the Service has improved any of the issues that led to so many resignations.

VegasMetro
04-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I spoke to an Air Marshall a few months back. He said they have specific routes they fly and it's not all it's cracked up to be. He mentioned some airlines prevent them from sitting in first class. I guess they are undercover, yet he said the airline workers can pick most of them out? Anyhow, when he first hired on he loved it, he would fly first classs for the meal and movie, now he gets grief if he sits in 1st class... he told me he was looking for other work, too much bs in the FAM's...(his words..)...just my 2-cents...