PDA

View Full Version : 10 Codes

SaNdMaN
10-10-2004, 07:43 AM
I always see 10-8 10-7 and all that.

My PD, and most PD's in the northern Denver metro area, use "free speech" on the radio instead of 10 codes. When they dispacth us to a burg for example, the radio traffic is like this:

Dispatcher: 2c71 copy a cold burglary
Officer: 2c71 go ahead
D: Cold burglary 6767 Monaco St. RP on scene found door open. Residence has been cleared.
O: Copy, enroute

There are only like 8 or 9 codes we use. Traffic stops, warrants, custody, good to go and for lunch

2c71, code 6 means you're making a traffic stop...For example...

Is this weird? Are we the exception to the rule or are there other agencies out there who use free speech? It seems like getting a 215 code 3 with a 433 on the 239 would get confusing...:D

PHXCOP
10-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by SaNdMaN
I always see 10-8 10-7 and all that.

My PD, and most PD's in the northern Denver metro area, use "free speech" on the radio instead of 10 codes. When they dispacth us to a burg for example, the radio traffic is like this:

Dispatcher: 2c71 copy a cold burglary
Officer: 2c71 go ahead
D: Cold burglary 6767 Monaco St. RP on scene found door open. Residence has been cleared.
O: Copy, enroute

its not.

same call; my language.

disptacher: 534I ("I" on the end meaning two man, second shift.)
Us: What woman!, key the mic, "go ahead".
dispatcher, a 459 6767 monaco st rp said that she arrived home and found the door open.
Us: say nothing. its implied were 10-17 (enroute)

we also say code 6. we have a ton of ten codes and code, well codes...:) as in 10-4 or (code) 998

bottom line is who cares. Just b safe.

retdetsgt
10-10-2004, 04:56 PM
We pretty much did away with codes 25 years ago. Prior to that, all calls were dispatched with a code. 12-27 was a family beef, 12-23 was a burglary etc. The only ones still used are 12-34 means mental case and 55A is homicide, 55D is natural and so forth. Everything else is clear voice. They still use a code for an arrest warrant on the subject, but that part of my brain hasn't woke up yet and I don't remember what it is.:confused: :eek:

Bodie
10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Columbus Police Use 10 Codes
Ohio Highway Patrol have their own version
Ohio Sheriff's have a Code / Signal Combination

Many small pd's use Sheriff's system since they are dispatched and backed up by Sheriff.

I used to know all of them. I learned them all as a dispatcher in the 70's before hitting the streets.

badger
10-10-2004, 05:25 PM
There are a lot of departments that are going to plain language dispatch. Where I work we use codes for firearm involvement, active robbery/burglary, suicidal subject, and other situations that you may not want the leisure scanner bug to pick up on. The die-hards and news people know the lingo from listening intently. I prefer plain language especially in critical incidents when your brain is otherwise engaged. I do however sometimes find myself talking with brothers in 10 and signal codes. The key is knowing what you are being told and what you are telling others...regardless of the manner it is communicated. Also know that there are variations of 10 codes, Signal codes, and assorted Codes in use by PDs across the country.

retdetsgt
10-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by badger
The die-hards and news people know the lingo from listening intently. I prefer plain language especially in critical incidents when your brain is otherwise engaged.

Yeah, it's not like they are some kind of super secret. As a new cop, they handed out cards with the codes on them. I suspect any citizen that wanted one could ask for it. I think the original idea was to cut down on air time perhaps?

x5150x
10-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by retdetsgt
I think the original idea was to cut down on air time perhaps?

I'm pretty sure that was the reason for the codes...the old-school radios needed time to warm up prior to transmitting, etc.

I feel that the codes (with a few exceptions) should be laid to rest...plain talk is the way to go.

Curt581
10-10-2004, 08:41 PM
We've got a few 10 codes still in use, along with "Code 1" etc to let us know that a subject we've got stopped is wanted. It's better to hear a dispatcher say "Your subject is Code 2", meaning a misdemeanor warrant, rather than have them say it openly and have my guy panic and take off running.

The codes don't bother me that much. What bugs the crap out of me is when dispatch starts every transmission with "Be advised...". It just seems like a pretty redundant thing to say when you use 10 codes to minimize air time usage.

retdetsgt
10-10-2004, 08:50 PM
What used to send me through the roof was when the dispatcher said "You'll have to advise on cover (our word for backup). No one is available." If no one is available, who the hell will I be advising! I gotta couple of letters in my file for responding not too diplomatically to that one.

Another time, a dispatcher sent me on a robbery at a motel. I asked if it was in progress and she said she didn't know. I'd have to find out when I got there. I took the call, but afterwards, I went 10-7 to radio. I walked up to her console, pulled the plug on her headset and explained to her to never f@@@@@g send me or anyone else to a robbery on that kind of information!

Normally, I got along okay with dispatchers, but everynow and then I'd have some bonehead who thought this was some kind of video game or something....

The only real code left is Code Zero. That means an officer is either down or about to get his butt kicked badly.

StReEtz
10-12-2004, 02:38 AM
heres a website with different 10 codes /signals etc.... just choose your whatever state you want in the box

http://www.bearcat1.com/radio.htm

retdetsgt
10-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by SaNdMaN

Is this weird? Are we the exception to the rule or are there other agencies out there who use free speech? It seems like getting a 215 code 3 with a 433 on the 239 would get confusing...:D

Years ago I was hiding on top of a parking structure writing reports and I started hearing cars and the dispatcher using these weird codes. I listened for a while and somebody said something that made me realize I was picking up Denver PD in Oregon! I musta gotten into some time warp thing or the atmospheric conditions got just right. It lasted for about 2 or 3 minutes and then faded.:confused: :eek:

Gooch
10-12-2004, 12:43 PM
My department uses ten-codes but most of us just use plain english. I do like the idea of using clearance codes to clear a call rather than go through this long summary over the radio of what happened. Some guys just love the sound of their own voice over the net.

SD7
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
On my department we use 10 codes and plain language.

The problem is some of the dispatchers

for example:

O: Trinidad SD7 10-75 (traffic stop)
D: SD7 10-75

O: I'll be out with CO LP# 123ABC at Hwy 350 mm 354
D: Copy out with CO LP# 123ABC Hwy 350 mm 354

O: Trinidad SD-7 need a clearence on 2 parties.
D: Copy SD-7, You need a 10-27, 10-29 on 2 parties. Go ahead

You guys can see where this is going right.

retdetsgt
10-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Gooch
My department uses ten-codes but most of us just use plain english. I do like the idea of using clearance codes to clear a call rather than go through this long summary over the radio of what happened. Some guys just love the sound of their own voice over the net.

No kidding.... I once suggested at a roll call that certain officers be issued two mikes, one to use and one to play with..:rolleyes:

Yeah, we clear with a code. R-1 is a report will be written, R-2 followup report, W-6 peace restored, W-1 is handled, no report written etc. Says a lot of air time and no one really cares how what you did at the call except maybe the dispatcher.

PeteBroccolo
10-12-2004, 02:54 PM
We have a fairly elaborate 10 code system, but the ones most used are:
10-1: can't copy;
10-4;
10-6: busy, will call you back;
10-7: out of contact, with details of location and/or how to contact;
10-8: back on duty;
10-17: en route to (whatever);
10-27: check with the driver's licence authority on DL status;
10-28: as above, but for licence plate status;
10-29: CPIC (and NCIC/State CIC) checks for Persons (Warrants, Probation, release conditions, and criminal record (CR)) and/or Vehicles (Stolen, associated to Wanted subjects, as well as previous checks on same within the last 120 hours and registration info);
10-30: use caution, due to CR re V (violence), E (escape), F (firearms);
10-33: I NEED HELP **NOW**;
10-35: off duty, as well as on-call and next-on-duty info;
10-62: unauthorized listeners present, watch what you say;
10-68: either require a breath analysis tech, or will be busy being one;
10-75: available on cell;
10-76: available on portable;
10-77: at home;
10-98: stopping for a meal;
10-99: stopping for a break.

Plus a whole string of CR codes for types of previous convictions.

A lot of it will be brief plain-talk as far as details.

I prefer doing most of my status-keeping and detail-providing via my mobile work station

JERSEY BUBBA
10-14-2004, 03:43 AM
Yep,

Some buddies of mine work in a PD that is soooooo 10 Code happy that, when the bosses ran out of 10 codes (at 10-99) and could still think of secret squirrel messaging, they started issuing 11 codes. Top it all off with response codes and the rooks forget how to drive the car.

Dispatch - "COMCEN, 420."
Silly Rookie - "Uh, Go ahead?"
Dispatch - "Yeah you, 420. Go 10-13 (out of service), for a 10-22 (meal pick-up) at 17 (local eatery). Code 2 (and don't make us wait).
Silly Rookie - "Uh okay, I mean 10-4 (uh, okay)."
Dispatch - "Disregard 420, just 10-2 (call me) 10-3 (at HQ) Code 1 (now I'm ****ed).

When all the new guys are totally lost, someone pulls them aside and says, "The only one you gotta remember kid, is 10-48 (Officer needs assistance).

LAWCOP
10-14-2004, 10:14 AM
WE USED a combination of both but they were our own version with no 10- lead in
Code 1 homicide code 2 R/A etc, but then we also would use plain language.
One very busy summer night I was in a one man unit and recieved a call of a fight in one of the "outpost areas" actually a project that was outside of the city limits but was incorporated into the city, so you actually had to leave the city proper to get to it. It was a few miles away and the call went like this. now REMEMBER, I was a ONE man car.
"46; at Bloomfield, report of a fight involving 100 people" ...I waited, waiting to hear the other cars, but none also dispatched. So I answer ""46 enroute".
About a minute later dispatch comes on the air and says, "we just recieved more calls that more have joined in, DO YOU WANT BACKUP?"
Now the thought crosses the mind, "OK, I can handle 100 on my own, but 105 is too many?" I respond with , "I'll advise, if I could handle the first hundred, the others shouldn't be a problem." there is this loooonnnggg dead air silence, then dispatch comes on "uhhh, we don't have any cars clear to assist right now, you may wish to hold until we have cars clear" (it finally dawned on them what they had done.:D ) Told them I would continue and advise. About 1 mile away from there, I cranked on the siren and proceeded at about 5mph under the speed limit. The access road to the project was situated so you actually had to drive past the backside of the complex before you could turn into it. They heard me coming for a long time before I got there. By the time I called on the only ones left on the battlefield were the ones who would not be a problem. four ambulances later, it was over with.
"one riot, one ranger."

Delta784
10-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by x5150x
I feel that the codes (with a few exceptions) should be laid to rest...plain talk is the way to go.

I agree.

All the scanner junkies & criminals who are listening know all the codes anyway, so what's the point?

MrJim911
10-14-2004, 08:41 PM
The point is to streamline communications. 10 codes were never really meant for secret squirrel communications, at least not recently. Plain speech communications tend to sound wordy and make people ramble on and on. Obviously not in all cases and if people can keep their plain speak short and sweet like 10 codes more power to them.

Garbage Man
10-15-2004, 07:37 AM
We have a book of codes. You name it, 10 codes, 900 codes, code codes, and we use the military phonetics which I hate because they take so long to say, "The plate is whiskey, uniform, november...oh forget it!"

Unfortunatly we have this countywide radio system so every radio change has to be county wide. Every agency has a two digit number and then whatever 3 digit number your station gives you. If you get into a pursuit you go on the county wide red channel and have to use all 5 digits of your radio call sign.

In fact our radio codes are so pervasive we start talking with the codes all the time. there is no plain talk even off the air. You cant help it. Its like speaking another language.

PeteBroccolo
10-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Talking about radio call signs, do many other Agencies use alpha-numeric call signs?

When I came out of training, we had 3-number call signs - the first number stood for the sub-division (we had 6, each with its own CommCentre) that the Detachment that the vehicle was assigned to was part of, and the last 2 were just to differentiate the vehicles.

Then about 1980 we went to a numeric-alpha-numeric code - the lead number was the sub-division commcentre designator, the letter meant the type of duty the vehicle was used for, and the final 3 numbers were the "old" call sign.

In 1996, when we almagamated the 6 CommCentres into 1, we dropped the leading number, interchanged 2 letters for the type of duty and had new 1 to 3 digit suffixes assigned to the vehicles.

The letters are:
A (alpha): General Duty;
B (bravo): Municipal Units;
C (charlie): Traffic Services;
D (delta): Major Crimes, Commercial Crime, Drugs;
E (echo): Operational Support, including Dogmaster, Radio/Computer Techs, IDENT;
F (foxtrot): Administrative/Management/Commissioned Officers

A, B, & C units could be unmarked, slick roofed or fully marked. D, E, & F units are usually unmarked.

Some Divisions continue to use a single or double-digit lead number where they have more than one CommCentre.

tan/grn
10-20-2004, 10:59 PM
retireddetsgt, I think what you experienced is what is called "skip." The signal usually bounces off a cloud formation and goes elsewhere. I live in S. Cal and years ago I recall hearing in a deep southern accent, "Clem, go check on old man Johnson's cow, it got onto the road again." It came from the other side of the country. :D

PHXCOP
10-24-2004, 07:39 AM
everyone has scanners, everyone has access to all the codes we use. We cant win. But in the cities wisdom we have an 800mhz system- patched into a 150mhz system for another 3 months.... Bottom line everyone can listen on a trunked system with a standard scanner for now... I cant believe I use some of the same codes as Canada... Not that its a bad thing...

PeteBroccolo
10-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by PHXCOP
everyone has scanners, everyone has access to all the codes we use. We cant win. But in the cities wisdom we have an 800mhz system- patched into a 150mhz system for another 3 months.... Bottom line everyone can listen on a trunked system with a standard scanner for now... I cant believe I use some of the same codes as Canada... Not that its a bad thing...
Here's something even spookier as far as coincidences go - the radio system used in my Division is ALSO a 150 mhz piggy-backed onto an 800 mhz type system.

Your Department doesn't happen to have a buffalo head as part of its badge, does it?

At one of my postings, we did have small cacti growing in a field on the edge of town!

bcdtf70x
10-26-2004, 12:20 AM
I think the codes are much better. They cut the airtime, eliminate the use of slang, and make for a more professional element.
Every department has the one person that can ramble on about nothing, or the one that just doesn't get the lingo (civilian dispatcher, ect). The codes kind of put everyone on the same page.
If you think one code system can be confusing, try using two. I have been using the one on my local department for twelve years, and have recently transferred into a task force that utilizes the state police codes. Can make you feel like a rookie all over again.

PHXCOP
11-07-2004, 06:37 AM
I bet, a buddy of mine works in a city that is partially in one county and part in another.

The two counties use different codes. When he is is "code 6" on one side of the street and he keeps going to the next block, he has to switch radios and say that he has "traffic", and proceed with the stop.

Talk about weird.

CPDLissa
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Cols. OH 10code avail on http://www.columbuspolice.org

We use our 10 code a lot, however, depending on shift/supervisors, sometimes we are more lax than others, but use of the 10-code is most preferable when talking on air.

example of a typical shots fired run on Channel 2 B company:

Dispatcher: 102
Officer: 102 Demorest/Clime
Dispatcher: 102 start for a 43a @ 4960 W Broad. 4-9-6-0 W Broad. the 33 is a MW 5ft8 BRN, GRN, BLUE TSHIRT, TAN PANTS. Left WB Broad in BLU 2000 Chevy Cavelier, Lic IM2FAST
Officer: I copy ma'am.

And you send it to their MDC as you speak.

If he catches the guy, he'll be code 3 to HQ for ID, then to Cty. In system, you'd put "IR 102b *102B LC HQ/ID BUR-Cd3" when the officer comes back and says on his way to CTY, you put it "IR 102B *102B LC CTY on a 51"

Keeps things nice an neat.

SMPPD87
11-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by PHXCOP
I bet, a buddy of mine works in a city that is partially in one county and part in another.

The two counties use different codes. When he is is "code 6" on one side of the street and he keeps going to the next block, he has to switch radios and say that he has "traffic", and proceed with the stop.

Talk about weird.

that's scary, you better believe i'd be using plain english if i was in his situation and the **** hit the fan! :eek:

we have something like 80 10-codes we only really use a handful of themL:

10-1 - stop into HQ
10-2 - call via phone or nextel
10-3 - location
10-4 - acknowledgement
10-10 - alarm
10-13 - officer needs assistance (emergency)
10-17 - reg check
10-18 - license check
10-41 - out of service
10-52 - meal
10-65 - back in service
10-80 - clear to speak freely

there's a bunch that no one ever use but the list is at the desk so every once in a while someone will throw one of them out just to mess with you and make you look around for a 10-code sheet (obviously in a non-emergency situation)

r u QRU
11-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Im curious to know if anyone else out there uses (Q) codes?That I know of, Miami-Dade county, FL is the only place that uses them.In my patrol unit, I also have an FHP radio. Now it gets confusing because the state uses 10 codes so if I hear of something going on in my neck of the woods, I have to pull out the good ole 10-codes card to understand them. When I speak over there radio(which I've only done once) I used plain english except for 10-4.LOL!