PDA

View Full Version : Take down methods...

Firefly
09-23-2004, 01:33 AM
I was wondering if any C/O's out there can give me some more advice on methods of bringing down an inmate in a quick and unharmful way? My facility houses both mental patients and inmates. I would appreciate any methods fellow C/O's may use in bringing down the inmate in a quick manner other than trying to tackle someone or "gang up" and surround them with other officers. I've only been an officer for 2 months now, and the job is still very new. Any advice is welcome. :)

9 Point
09-23-2004, 01:47 AM
With 2 months on the job,my advice to you is follow your Departments use-of-force policy(ie PPCT,CDT,Prisoner Management and so on).What ever they taught you is what you need to use and document it that way in a Critical Incident report.Especially with Mentally Ill inmates.This is going to vary from State-to-State with different Depts. and agencies using different methods.
Not to burst your bubble,but if I tell ya how we handle em up here in Michigan and you used it on an inmate there and it became known and there was an injury,It could come back to bite ya :eek:.
Please feel free to ask any other ?'s

nd33909
09-24-2004, 02:27 AM
It should have been part of your Defensive Tactics or similar topic tought at your academy. We have a very light course in Take-Downs, Transporters, Pain Compliance, and Intermediate Weapons. Then there are advance courses for the real "get down and dirty" stuff, which I plan to take as many as I can.

speedtrap55
09-24-2004, 03:21 AM
Just for something interesting, I picked up a tape..."Tito Ortiz - Takedowns" (got it off eBay). They're pretty much lower body takedowns (rather than something that would use caution with a subject's head, so it's not exactly ideal), but no situation is the same or necessarily "perfect". If it's my life that's in danger, I'm going to use whatever I have in my bag of tricks (within reason and P&P of course, which can be fairly vague). Just my .02 worth.

Thor
10-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I posted something along these lines in my forums, but it was specifically about who used PPCT or what else was taught by their department.

I've found that the PPCT techniques that are taught at our facility just aren't very effective when it comes to a one-on-one confrontation. Once you get them on the floor/wall/counter, it's easy to use pain compliance techniques, kneestrikes, etc., but getting someone taken down using PPCT isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world.

I've actually had to resort to "dirty tricks" in getting someone either on the floor or against the wall for control. Usually by that point the rest of the staff have arrived (I work in intake so there's a short response time) and it's just a matter of moments before the subject is subdued.

Ironically, I'm out on light duty at the moment for a failed PPCT technique that resulted in me using a type of shoulder block to get the subject against the wall. Threw my shoulder out but I got the inmate subdued until help arrived. :(

Just goes to show you that you really need to have a backup for everything--even a backup for your backup. ;)

keith758
10-16-2004, 02:55 PM
In our defensive training, we are taught to use a verticle wall stun which I've used to great success. It can be done from as little a a few inches away from a wall, and it usually takes the rabies right out of the recipient.

BreakinChains
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
In Oregon you are allowed to use a step up on force of what your inmate is doing to you. So I guess use the force nessary to maintain the situation. Take some martial arts and don't let that inmate get you in that situation, verbal judo.