PDA

View Full Version : Hydroxycut and drug screen question...

4 and 6
07-13-2004, 03:26 AM
I've been getting ready for the academy, and the pre-academy physical assessment. I'm on target for an October academy, so I'm getting down to business with my exercise.

I've never taken any supplements or energy pills, I consider most (of the pills) a gimmack... but a friend told me how great this stuff was and that it's great energy for your workouts, so I decided I might give it a try. It's the Ephedra free Hydroxycut, and it did give me quite the energy boost. I used it once, and lifted for twice as long as normal and felt great.

So, I had taken one pill, and my dad (retired deputy himself) mentioned to me "you sure you can take that? I'm not sure, but you never know it might show up on your drug screen"

:o I wasn't sure either. I felt like an idiot for allowing it to slip my mind. So I called my background investigator and asked her. She said that she thought it was okay, but since neither one of us was certain she said it would be safer to just not take them. I agreed.

I'd like to hear what you guys think... Heard anything about it? Would this appear to be some kind of illegal substance on my drug screen? It would be pretty ironic to never touch any illegal drug and then get bounced on my drug screen for being stupid enough to take some pill I bought at GNC. lol. I'm continuing to work out without them now, just for safety sake. I'll get my results either way. I'm motivated and determined. :cool:

Opinions? Wisdom? Thanks in advance! :D

mait129
07-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Drug screens test for the metabolites of illegal drugs. If Hydroxycut contained any illegal drugs it would be pulled. You're fine relax. You can even take the ephedra version and you'd be fine too.

Now before you say that the ephedra version is now illegal, well guess what it's not. It's illegal to be sold as a fat loss supplement but it's still sold OTC for asthma and as a bronchial decongestant under the name Vasopro.

Don't worry so much man, I not ragging on you but you guys are worrying about the craziest things.

Good luck to you.

Bodie
07-13-2004, 10:12 AM
To be safe ask your family doctor.

pkagel
07-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Just to parlay this topic into a similar vein, stay away from ephedra in general. The stuff has been banned from fat loss suplements for a reason and should be labeled appropriatly as it can kill and gave me a heart murmur for quite a while on top of making my attitude less than what I think it should be.

webjeep
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
The biggest concern with working out and taking anything with ephedra is the fact that it inhibits your body from maintaining a constant temperature. It's like having an electric fan in a car that is controlled by a thermostat and disconnecting the thermostat. When I was in the Corps we had a guy who sucked a few of them before a hike during super squad and when he hit the ground his core temp was 109 deg.

i'll stick with my coffee :D

-web

olnacl
07-13-2004, 04:28 PM
I actually arrested a person for DWI who had taken a huge amount of ephedra (it wasn't Hydroxycut...it was some other brand)he was a bodybuilder type. His DRE exam gave all the signs and symptoms of a CNS Stimulant but his tox screen came back clean.

Haven't been to court on it though.

4 and 6
07-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys.. Keep it coming. :)

I'm going to try calling a local office here that I've gone to in the past for pre-employment screening. See if they'll know off hand or be able to tell me.

DNR Ofcr
07-14-2004, 12:52 AM
I have been wondering the same thing about "Ripped Fuel." I took it for some time and have since stopped, but after doing some limited research, I have found that people who have taken "Ripped Fuel" have failed drug tests for Amphetamines. Anyone know anything abour "Ripped Fuel"?

Otter
07-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by pkagel
Just to parlay this topic into a similar vein, stay away from ephedra in general. The stuff has been banned from fat loss suplements for a reason and should be labeled appropriatly as it can kill and gave me a heart murmur for quite a while on top of making my attitude less than what I think it should be.

It did not GIVE you a heart murmur. Maybe it made it more noticeable, but a murmur is 99% of the time a congenital defect which is present and overstimulation can sometimes allow it to present, whereas under normal circumstances, it would not be found without an ECG.

Contact
07-14-2004, 02:00 AM
I've been taking hydroxy-cut for weeks now, I hope it doesn't show on a drug screening :o

K9*
07-14-2004, 02:14 AM
For what it's worth,I used to take Metabolife (pre-ephedra ban) and didn't have any problems on any drug tests. Not sure if they contain the same things or not (I would assume they are pretty close).I did,however, make sure that I noted that I had taken it to the folks doing the testing.

mtxpro752
07-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Recently took a drug screening, i take hydroxycut about a week a month, nothing came up, ripped fuel is mainly caffine if i recall correctly so a blood test will just look like you drink 5 liters of mountain dew a day. All of them screw up your body in various ways, drinking a lot of really cold water a day helps you lose weight too, the process your body has to go through to heat and process the water burns fat (also fills you up). Aside from having to pee a ton there is no side effect

mait129
07-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by DNR Ofcr
I have been wondering the same thing about "Ripped Fuel." I took it for some time and have since stopped, but after doing some limited research, I have found that people who have taken "Ripped Fuel" have failed drug tests for Amphetamines. Anyone know anything abour "Ripped Fuel"?

Then they were taking amphetamines also because ripped fuel would not cause a false positive.

Ripped fuel did contain ephedra which shows up as amphetamine L on a tox screen, but real ampetamines show up as amphetamine M. Any lab tech can read the difference. When you test positive for amphetamine L they know you are taking a diet supplement. There's know other way to interpret it. It's as easy as seeing the difference between coke and heroin. Those guys were taking real amphetamines.

Not to get to far off OT here but ephedra is no worse than any other supplement when used in moderation. If people would research for themselves rather than listen to the media things would be better. No one has died from ephedra use despite what the media says. Tylenol is worse on the body than ephedra and more people OD on aspirin ever year.

So until the government decides to ban two of the most harmful substances out there right now, alcohol and tobacco, which combined kill hundreds of thousands of people every year, then they need to stop playing parents for us.

Sorry I got on my soapbox again..:D

KOLA
07-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Besides the fact that this product is great and it really works, it will not affect your drug screening. I know because I was taking hydroxy at the time of my drug screen. They simply ask you to list what you consumed that day, if your taking hydroxy cut at the time of your drug test just write it down along with everything else you consumed. You'll be fine.

Sassyrose
07-15-2004, 01:23 AM
While I haven't heard of Hydroxy or know anything about what's in it, I do have the benefit of being a drug counselor. The fact that I don't know what it is means that it is likely not illegal (I've dealt with a LOT of criminal justice agencies). Mainly drug tests look for THC (marijuana), cocaine, amphetamines, barbituates, alcohol, opiates, and PCP.

I basically agree with what others wrote, but would like to add that you should reconsider taking something that you are completely unfamiliar with, no matter what it is.

As a cautionary note, and already knowing that it is likely legal, I would also urge anyone reading this not to go by the results of anyone else's urine screen. Results vary tremendously and a great portion is due solely to how a person metabolizes the substance.

My advice to you- if you still want to take it :eek: - is to stop well before any possible request for a sample and drink a good amount of water. No matter the substance, you can flush the substance with enough time and water (don't drink TOO much water though, you can die from that, heh).

Hope that helps and if I find anything additional out I'll let you know.

ps- they can also do a blood sample or a hair test, even though unlikely and MUCH more expensive, to see if you have been honest, so I would urge you be completely candid.

pps- actually, the *best* people to call would be a hospital urinalysis lab, they can give you a LOT of information.

Sassyrose
07-15-2004, 01:33 AM
While I haven't heard of Hydroxy or know anything about what's in it, I do have the benefit of being a drug counselor. The fact that I don't know what it is means that it is likely not illegal (I've dealt with a LOT of criminal justice agencies). Mainly drug tests look for THC (marijuana), cocaine, amphetamines, barbituates, alcohol, opiates, and PCP.

I basically agree with what others wrote, but would like to add that you should reconsider taking something that you are completely unfamiliar with, no matter what it is.

As a cautionary note, and already knowing that it is likely legal, I would also urge anyone reading this not to go by the results of anyone else's urine screen. Results vary tremendously and a great portion is due solely to how a person metabolizes the substance.

My advice to you- if you still want to take it :eek: - is to stop well before any possible request for a sample and drink a good amount of water. No matter the substance, you can flush the substance with enough time and water (don't drink TOO much water though, you can die from that, heh).

Hope that helps and if I find anything additional out I'll let you know.

ps- they can also do a blood sample or a hair test, even though unlikely and MUCH more expensive, to see if you have been honest, so I would urge you be completely candid.

pps- actually, the *best* people to call would be a hospital urinalysis lab, they can give you a LOT of information.

polly146
07-16-2004, 03:07 AM
BECAUSE TWO HOURS BEFORE HE WRECKED HE TOOK TYLONEL SEVRVE SINUIS DAYTIME NON DROWSY....BECAREFUL!!!!