PDA

View Full Version : Reliable off-duty weapon, which do you prefer?

x19delta
06-30-2004, 07:38 PM
I was looking for a nice off-duty carry gun but was torn between several different types. I really wanted something with stopping power so I wouldnt go anything less than a 9mm. So I looked at the Steyr .40, Smith&Wesson .40, Baby Eagle 9mm, CZ .40, and a Colt 1911. Well, I went with the Colt 1911 because of it's reputation. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

What kind of firarms do you guys carry off-duty? I am happy with what I bought but I want to see what everyone else carries....thanks!

mait129
06-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Glock 23

Chief Wiggum
06-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Glock 27

Bodie
06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
You should carry off duty the same weapon you carry on duty in a comfortable accessable holster that you practice with. No exceptions. Any other weapons should be back up or home protection.

This type of activity will offer you more liabilty protection if you are involved in an off duty shooting incident. You were trained mulitple times with that weapon.

RAUDAA
06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
My department is pretty (very) strict about what we are able to carry off duty. If we choose to carry a revolver as a BUG, it must be a Smith & Wesson .38. If we carry a semi-auto, it must be a Glock in .40. The old timers are still able to carry what they did before the department instituted the rule, provided they have continually qualified with it since the rule's inception.

That being said, I prefer to carry my S&W 340PD (.38) when I'm off duty just because it's light and small enough to fit in my pocket.

I also have a G27 which I'll carry every now and then, but when compared to my .38, the G27 is much heavier and bulky. The 27 isn't really heavy or bulky by itself, it's just when I compare the two.

The main thing is to be confident with your off duty weapon.

CFPython
06-30-2004, 09:16 PM
My issue duty gun is a full size Glock 35 with a 5 1/2" barrel and 15 rd mag. Being I live and work in central Fla., the heat and humidity capital of the world, carrying something that big in shorts and a t-shirt just ain't gonna happen. Especially as I'm 5'8" and small framed. Lightweight aluminum framed snub .38 for me during hot weather, Walther P99 or SIG P225 in cooler weather. I'm also not a fan of carrying a Glock in anything other than an exterior holster. The light trigger in an IWB holster is something I try to avoid.

jnhdrac
06-30-2004, 11:12 PM
I carry a S an W 3953 off duty and as a backup. I carry all the time, but I am looking forward to the day when I won't. Carrying off duty is a pain, but I think it is the right thing to do.

webjeep
07-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Glock 33 .357 Sig

small, reliable, nasty ballistics, Speer gold dots.

-web

rgv_cop
07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
glock 23

mach4
07-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Glock 22, Beretta 380 and a Beretta 21a

Bodie
07-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Ever notice it's the rookies that are interested in off duty carry etc. It seems that the newer to this the more likely the leo wants to be a cop 24/7. They need to relax and not woory about the badge & gun stuff all the time. They'll live longer and have less stress.

Not to say it isn't okay to carry off duty but get atrue feeling about what "off duty" is and relax and be normal and enjoy life. That way we loose fewer young officers to stress realted illnesses.

Contact
07-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Bodie
Ever notice it's the rookies that are interested in off duty carry etc. It seems that the newer to this the more likely the leo wants to be a cop 24/7. They need to relax and not woory about the badge & gun stuff all the time. They'll live longer and have less stress.

Not to say it isn't okay to carry off duty but get atrue feeling about what "off duty" is and relax and be normal and enjoy life. That way we loose fewer young officers to stress realted illnesses.

Bodie, I hope you don't mind me throwing my .02 in here. :D
I do know a few cops that were the gung-ho, "I-Carry-5-extra-clips-at-all-times-because-you-just-never-know" types, but x19delta isn't coming across as that sort of person, just seems like he's seeing what worked for other officers and what didn't.

The true rookies keep their off-duty weapon right under their vest, next to their handcuffs and extra magazines. :D :D

Frank Booth
07-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Glock 27. The Glock 22 is too big for off-duty for me. Used to carry a Colt Officer's Lightweight .45, and before that a Smith 649, but liked the extra capacity and smaller compact size of the Glock 27. Perfect compromise in an off-duty gun between size, weight, shot capacity, caliber, and simplicity of use. Although......and I'm not really a "gun guy", I'm getting an off-duty holster for my Smith Model 29-2 3".............

Gooch
07-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Most of the officers in my department prefer to carry a Glock off-duty but I carry a Sig 229 in .40.

More importantly, if you are going to carry, use a holster with a retention strap. I know a guy who actually carries his burner in the small of his back with no holster. It's like he's begging to be shot in the back with his own gun.

ViceSgt
07-01-2004, 10:55 AM
You should carry off duty the same weapon you carry on duty in a comfortable accessable holster that you practice with. No exceptions. Any other weapons should be back up or home protection.

This type of activity will offer you more liabilty protection if you are involved in an off duty shooting incident. You were trained mulitple times with that weapon.

Either you are liable or not. If you qualify with the weapon & follow you departments shooting policy, whether or not is is your duty weapon, you will be in good shape. Thats not to say you will not be the subject of litigation.

TommyF
07-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Glock 22 for off duty. It is much easier to carry than the monster Beretta I have to carry for on duty use.

Bodie, I have to say I lol when you made the comment about off duty carry and rookies. I guess I fall into that category but I still enjoy my off duty time. I must add one more thing and that is well, maybe paranoia but you never know what situation you will encounter off duty and with who.

There was a recent story in the news here where a guy was off duty and was at a baseball game with his family. Long story short two guys got into it with him and worked him over a bit and even broke his wife

Bodie
07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
It's okay to carry off duty I don't disagree with that but some guys are police 24/7 and that's not agood thing. It's okay to be prepared to defend yourself etc but to be ready and in police mode all the time isn't good for your health is all I am trying to get a cross.

Most agencies as they do here have a list of approved off duty and back up guns just like they do duty waepons and you must qualify with both or as far as liability goes you are on your own.:cool:

JB2245
07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by TommyF
Glock 22 for off duty. It is much easier to carry than the monster Beretta I have to carry for on duty use.

Glock 22 for an off duty weapon? It can't be too much smaller than your Beretta if at all.

RAUDAA
07-01-2004, 03:18 PM
xxxx x

JB2245
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RAUDAA
Our department requires us to carry off duty. The only times that we do not have to carry are if we are participating (travelling to/from) in a sporting event or if we are on vacation.

Believe me, I like to get as far from "the job" as possible when I'm on my own time.

When is the last time you heard of someone getting written up for not carrying their weapon? I can name at least 50 incidents where officers got written up because of their weapon. Regarding your last sentence. Are you on duty right now? Or are you on your own time?

TommyF
07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
JB2245, The Glock is close to the same size but it is much more comfortable to carry in my opinion. With the Beretta I feel like I have a brick on my hip. I must say that I am proficient with both but if I had a choice I would carry the Glock for on duty use.

wing & a prayer
07-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Are you able to carry anywhere within your state off duty that you are able to carry on duty?

Deputy917
07-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I carry either my duty weapon, Glock Model 22, or
Model 27 with 2-Mags minimum, or favorite wheelgun
S&W Model 640-1, stainless steel .357 Mag. with
speed loaders.

My dept requires bi-annual qualification with duty weapon,
and annual qualification with off-duty weapons from conceal
carry method, ankle-holster, fanny-pack, under-clothing/jacket,
etc...

Beyond the qualification aspect, and what your Dept
policy allows, You-Must-know-the-Weapon ! ! !
Shoot it/them on a regular basis, Not just at qualfication.

Personally, I would recommend the largest caliber possible,
consider; ease of operation/simplicity, dependability,
concealability/carry comfort.

Gooch
07-02-2004, 01:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TommyF
[B]
There was a recent story in the news here where a guy was off duty and was at a baseball game with his family. Long story short two guys got into it with him and worked him over a bit and even broke his wife

coprock
07-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Glock 27.

07-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by ViceSgt
Either you are liable or not. If you qualify with the weapon & follow you departments shooting policy, whether or not is is your duty weapon, you will be in good shape. Thats not to say you will not be the subject of litigation.

Exactly!! Was the use of deadly force "objectively reasonable". I do not have training in killing someone with a brick but if it was my best option and I was justified to use deadly force it would be "reasonable". Litigation should be expected in all uses of deadly force, thanks to our friendly attorney buddies.

tan/grn
07-02-2004, 04:27 AM
"Ever notice it's the rookies that are interested in off duty carry..." Well, Bodie, I carried off duty with a dept. authorized S&W .38 for 27yrs and after awhile, I didn't consider myself a rookie ;). I did it with the idea of being able to protect me and mine. I never would have put my family in jeopardy in any case.

I carried a Model 60, 5 shot 38, but never was really comfortable with it. The other weapons they allowed were too big or too expensive (yes, I know my life is very important, but finances is finances). Now that I have retired and can carry anything I just bought a Springfield Armory XD subcompact 9mm. Wanted the 40cal, but couldn't locate 1 after waiting 4 months for it. Tried the subcompact Glocks. One reason, not left handed friendly.

Bodie
07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Some peole carry "off duty" to extremes when it comes to having a gun at hand. We had one guy that would strap on his 9MM when he was on his riding mower in his own yard wearing just shorts.

Yes I did carry off duty quite a bit but there are many times when its' just not the right thing to do. I still carry when need be and have a gun close by. My wife freaks when there is not a gun in the house or we travel thru certain places and I don't have one.

pwotr
07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
glock 27 with a pearce +1 finger exten/extra round. do not put the extra round in it though. these are not the best mag base plates. they do good as just an extension but poor as a plus 1. Glock is the AK 47 of hand guns, kinda sloppy and not the most acurate but more often then most other guns when you pull the trigger it will go off. predictible gun.

tan/grn
07-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Bodie, I agree with you re some taking it to extremes. I was just trying to point out merely carrying a gun off duty all the time (obviously not at the pool or river) doesn't make one a rookie. It makes one in my mind someone with a warrior mind set; something you need to survive. Thankfully, I only got involved one time with my weapon off duty during my career. Thought I had a car burglar making his get away. Any other involvement was by phone.

I worked with a sgt. who used to keep one on his person off duty while in his house in case someone broke in, even while watching tv. That's a bit extreme.

Deputy917
07-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ViceSgt

[QUOTE]
Amen to the litigation comment by ViceSgt, as L.E. are held to a much higher degree of responsibilty. Once cleared of criminal wrong doing by the D.A., almost guaranteed that the perps family will then sue you civily for wrong full death.

Still better vertical, than permanently horizontal...:D

Deputy917
07-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by wing & a prayer
Are you able to carry anywhere within your state off duty that you are able to carry on duty?

In SC, regular Officers of State, County, Municipalities
may carry statewide, exceptions; Federal Bldgs, and of course
your Sheriff's/Chief's/Dept Policy...

Valor55
07-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Glock 22 .40 on duty. Too big for off duty concealment so I go with the Glock 19 9mm. It should always be a last resort item and the extent of any off duty le action should be 911 on your cell phone and let the uniforms handle it.

FCSONEGO
07-03-2004, 01:01 AM
I do not carry off duty all the time but it is nice to have when you want to. I carry a Taurus PT111 9mm. While I agree with Bodie to some extent that keeping the same gun on and off duty makes sense it is just not practical for me. I am not really big enough to effectively hide my full size S/W 5906 during the summer months. During the winter with bigger bulky clothing it is ok. I needed something smaller and this works well for me. The way I figure it you need to be comfortable both with it hidden as well as shooting. Since 99.99% of the time no one will ever see the thing the personal comfort level is slightly ahead of the shooting end.

kirch
07-03-2004, 01:09 AM
I don't regularly carry off-duty. When I do, I carry my BUG, a S&W 3913. 8+1, 9mm, slim enough for decent concelability, virtually the same operation as my primary (Beretta 92FS) and I shoot well with it. That being said, I still regret selling my my S&W 442. Though only 5 shots of .38, the thing weighed about 16 oz. fully loaded and was thin enough to conceal even with a t-shirt and shorts. And the operation doesn't get much easier than point and shoot. If I had to or decided to carry off-duty on a regular basis, that'd be my choice.

squad51
07-03-2004, 02:53 AM
glock 23

Deputy917
07-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Valor55
Glock 22 .40 on duty. Too big for off duty concealment so I go with the Glock 19 9mm. It should always be a last resort item and the extent of any off duty le action should be 911 on your cell phone and let the uniforms handle it.

I would agree for the most part, but the uniforms however
wont be able to help you in a life and death struggle.

ViceSgt
07-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Some peole carry "off duty" to extremes when it comes to having a gun at hand. We had one guy that would strap on his 9MM when he was on his riding mower in his own yard wearing just shorts.

I was going to say I worked with that guy but in our case he was pushing the mower, not riding it. Got the neighbors attention though.

Valor55
07-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Deputy917
I would agree for the most part, but the uniforms however
wont be able to help you in a life and death struggle.

Like I said, "last resort." Confronting a couple drunks at a sports event off duty is asking to get your *** beat and it is not a life or death struggle.

Deputy917
07-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Valor55
Like I said, "last resort." Confronting a couple drunks at a sports event off duty is asking to get your *** beat and it is not a life or death struggle.

Were talking the same thing here...common sense. In my jurisdiction the "Officer" more than likely would have spent his last day toting badge-N-gun in exchange for a orange jump suit after being arrested and charged with pointing and presenting.

wing & a prayer
07-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Deputy917,
Thanks for answering my question. I was just wondering because I see quite a few LEO's on here mention concealability while carrying off duty. I assumed that is for tactical reasons, but thought maybe there are some restrictions on where LEO's can carry off duty. If you can carry on duty in a federal building, what is the reasoning for not allowing an off duty officer to carry everywhere they can on duty?

TommyF
07-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Gooch, Thanks I couldn

TPO
07-06-2004, 11:49 PM
i'm one of the gung-ho, latest and greatest, carry gobs of ammo type guys. i have a S&W 640-1 and i usually carry 1 speed strip with 5 more rounds. 10 rounds ought to be more than enough to get me to a phone.