PDA

View Full Version : Officer Safety Alert!

kirch
06-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Do not attempt to pry the top off a can of spray paint with your knife, even if it is blunt-tipped.

I now have 3 stitches in the top of my left index finger to show for my stupidity. And the sad part is, I teach knife safety to the local Cub & Boy Scouts.

So if you notice that my typing is a little less accurate than usual, it's because I'm typing with 9 fingers.

So this leads to a question. Following my accident, I am left with a big gauze-wrapped finger. And I had to work last night. Obviously, if it'd been my trigger finger, I would have been out-of-commission. But since it's my reaction side, I felt OK to work. I did think up some officer-safety issues though.

If this had happened to you (assuming you would be this bone-headed), would you go into work? Like I said, it's not my shooting hand. But I also thought that it's like having a big ol' beacon on my hand saying 'GRAB HERE TO CAUSE PAIN'. And I naturally have less dexterity. In fact, I conducted two vehcile searches last night with only one hand (can't fit the glove on the left hand).

I thought of rebandagin it to be less conspicous and more flexible, but the doc was very explicit about keeping it wrapped for at least 48 hours. Doctors spend a lot of time in school -- I tend to trust 'em.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Curt581
06-13-2004, 08:03 PM
1. Paint it camouflage, so no one can see it.

2. Rebandage it in gold lame... The new Bling-Bling, yo!

3. Wear a boxing glove. It is reaction side, right?

4. Wrap the rest of yourself, head to toe, and be Officer Imhotep.

I got a million of 'em. :D

Sorry, dude... couldn't resist

kirch
06-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I'd laugh, but my damn finger hurts too much.

Where's my Tylenol?

Contact
06-13-2004, 08:07 PM
My only suggestion is to use a screwdriver next time (as per label instructions) :p

The only thing I could suggest from a non-leo point of view owuld be to position yourself to your bandaged hand is away from the suspect, however, that would put your weapon in his line of sight, so that may not be the best option either, are you a one man unit, or a two man unit?

If two man, let your partner search, and ride back-up until you are healed enough to wear a glove, if one man, mabye stick to something like traffic cites(I'm not saying let the bad guys go, but think of your safety first, if you can't fend off a BG, you're only putting yourself at risk!!) Call for backup anytime your taking someone out of the car, remember you're wearing the sign that points out your weak spot!!

Stay Safe! :)

retdetsgt
06-13-2004, 08:10 PM
I tried to split some wood one night years ago after I had a couple too many beers at home. I missed and hit my finger with the mall and smashed it (my finger, that is). I told everyone it was a logging accident.

Contact
06-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by retdetsgt
I tried to split some wood one night years ago after I had a couple too many beers at home. I missed and hit my finger with the mall and smashed it (my finger, that is). I told everyone it was a logging accident.

It was, wasn't it? ;)

ProWriter
06-13-2004, 10:54 PM
So if you notice that my typing is a little less accurate than usual, it's because I'm typing with 9 fingers.

That's seven more than me most of the time.

I thought of rebandagin it to be less conspicous and more flexible, but the doc was very explicit about keeping it wrapped for at least 48 hours. Doctors spend a lot of time in school -- I tend to trust 'em.

Yeah, but they sometimes don't necessarily take the initiative to explain the reasons for things or to think about it from your perspective. If the injury doesn't involve a joint and it's not hugely swollen, then "wrapped" probably just means "sterile" until it's closed. EMT's can probably come up with more streamlined ways of protecting it from infection that are more suited to working with it. What about those miniature condom-lookin things they make for finger tips and toes? If it needs more protection, you could try trimming down the length of one of those soft metal, one-piece finger splints and slip it on your finger tip between two layers of those mini-condom things. You wouldn't even have to hide it from people...you could point it right AT the uncooperative and ask if they want to do things the easy way or the hard way.

06-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Other than the mouth, the human hand is one of the germiest, bacteria-ridden places on the body. The doctor knew what he was talking about when he said to keep it wrapped for 48 hours. That'll give the skin time to seal. It's also important you keep your finger 100% dry. I don't know if your doctor gave you instructions on what to do after 48 hours, but I'd suggest keeping it covered with a Band-aid during the day (with Neosporin) and letting it air out while you're sleeping. Your stitches will need to come out in about 7 days. Don't wait longer than that (unless the doctor specifically said to) because the skin will grow over your stitches and then it'll have to be reopened just to get the stitches out. Been there, done that. :o

Look on the bright side.....the other day I ran a call for a man who was working with his table saw and cut his entire finger off. I had to crawl under his work table to retrieve the amputated digit. He ended up with more than 3 stitches. ;)

Hope you feel better soon!

Sleuth
06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Just to make you feel better, I know a firearms instructor who was putting his pistol in his back pocket at the range - you guessed it! That took more than 3 stiches, and he never lived it down!

Merk911
06-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Call for backup anytime your taking someone out of the car, remember you're wearing the sign that points out your weak spot!!

this a good idea anyway...always want to resolve all dought in your favor...Usually, if im in good health, i call for backup if im dealing with 2+ BG's, because im a single man unit.