PDA

View Full Version : Duty Belt Injuries

krj
11-16-2003, 09:55 PM
With all of the gear that you guys have to carry on your duty belts, I was wondering if any of you have experienced any injuries as a result (eg. back, hip, sciatic nerve etc.)

Some issues I would be interested in hearing about:

a) what was the injured area?
b) was it a long term or short term injury?
c) how you dealt with the injury (lightening the load, changing equipment placement, improving fitness, etc.)
d) did you require medical attention?
e) any other info you can provide

Thanks in advance everyone.

placa105
11-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Back injuries are very common. I had mine go out for about 3 weeks lst year. It was quite a wake-up. I've had an exercise program since then that has helped.

Injury was soft-tissue lower back, nonspecific.
I lightened my load by about 2 pounds, but have since added it back and moved it.

Mine required a trip to the E.R. (some of my co-workers hauled me out on a back board in my minivan).

I hope it helps.

Boomer 03
11-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Also look into suspenders. There are several departments that require them, as they will significantly reduce workman's compensation claims. I had a pinched nerve, and as a result of the specific exercise program, and the suspenders, I have had ZERO issues since. Once you wear the suspenders, 12 hours in the bat belt feels like 1 or 2.

Darkwulfe
11-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Two permanent bruises on my hips.

Badgerland
10-07-2011, 05:48 AM
***I understand that this thread is 8 years old, but instead of starting a new topic...***

For the past 6 months or so, I've been having terrible pain in my thighs throughout my shift while seated in my squad. My double cuff-holder is digging into my right thigh and my magazine pouch is digging into my left thigh. I've flipped my mag pouch from vertical to horizontal, and that helped somewhat but did not eliminate the pain. When I remove my duty belt at the end of my 12 hour shift, my legs are numb for approximately five minutes.

Anyone else have this issue and know of any possible solutions? Would suspenders help?

sgt jon
10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
You may be pinching off the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous or femoral nerve; which are situated right where the pouches often press. I have dealt with it as have countless others on the job. The only fix is to remove the cause of the nerve press/pinch. Do what you can to prevent this issue because the long term implications can be serious.

Take a moment to review the following links:

1. ERGONOMIC LOAD BEARING SYSTEMS
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/229710.pdf

2. Meralgia Paresthetica
http://www.mdguidelines.com/meralgia-paresthetica

3. Ergonomics and duty gear
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Czarnecki/ergonomics_and_safety_in_law_enforcement.htm

4. Duty Belt Alternatives (limited study)
http://www.csac-eia.org/pdfs/DutyBeltAlt_PeaceOfficers.pdf

kf4vix82
10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
With all of the gear that you guys have to carry on your duty belts, I was wondering if any of you have experienced any injuries as a result (eg. back, hip, sciatic nerve etc.)

Some issues I would be interested in hearing about:

a) what was the injured area?
b) was it a long term or short term injury?
c) how you dealt with the injury (lightening the load, changing equipment placement, improving fitness, etc.)
d) did you require medical attention?
e) any other info you can provide

Thanks in advance everyone.

I've had sciatic pain for a few years, it comes and goes. Some days it's worse than others. I've just learned to live with it.

KenW.
10-07-2011, 05:38 PM
The solution to all these malodies is....

Move to investigations. Holster on a dress belt, cuff-spare mag holder on opposite side. Carry a smaller weapon (subcompact-compact vs. full-size), vest, ASP, TASER , radio, etc. stays in the truck. Just gotta deal with the dress shirt and tie.

My most used tool anymore is the computer.

HEDP
10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I use this and really like it.

http://www.atlaslbe.com/

I haven't had any back injuries and am trying to keep it that way. I know a few other cops who use it and love it too. I also know a Sgt. who had back surgery and started wearing it to protect her back, she's the one who recommended it to everyone else.

customs2531
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
You may be pinching off the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous or femoral nerve; which are situated right where the pouches often press. I have dealt with it as have countless others on the job. The only fix is to remove the cause of the nerve press/pinch. Do what you can to prevent this issue because the long term implications can be serious.

Take a moment to review the following links:

1. ERGONOMIC LOAD BEARING SYSTEMS
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/229710.pdf

2. Meralgia Paresthetica
http://www.mdguidelines.com/meralgia-paresthetica

3. Ergonomics and duty gear
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Czarnecki/ergonomics_and_safety_in_law_enforcement.htm

4. Duty Belt Alternatives (limited study)
http://www.csac-eia.org/pdfs/DutyBeltAlt_PeaceOfficers.pdf

Thank You for this insightful info. I have this pain on my right leg EXACTLY where my side arm presses into my hip bone. Even with my side arm in a locker and just wearing my duty belt, the pain still persists. I went on active duty and didn't wear my duty belt and the pain stopped. I thought it was just me that had this , so again thank you.

westside popo
10-07-2011, 08:16 PM
There was a thread some time back about some suspenders worn under neath the uniform shirt and has the belt keepers built into the suspenders. I forget the name of it but I ordered one (the department paid for it) and it worked great for me. It was a pain to get adjusted and put on the first few weeks. The down side, it was about $200 when I got it and it think it was made some where in TX.
Another plus of it was it helped keep the shirt tucked in.

GIOSTORMUSNRET
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
There was a thread some time back about some suspenders worn under neath the uniform shirt and has the belt keepers built into the suspenders. I forget the name of it but I ordered one (the department paid for it) and it worked great for me. It was a pain to get adjusted and put on the first few weeks. The down side, it was about $200 when I got it and it think it was made some where in TX.

The backdefense system. They do work and help with reducing back injuries or pain.

http://www.backdefensesystems.com/

HEDP
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM

I used to use suspenders too, but they got to be too much work and cut into my shoulders.

I found the Atlas system to be much easier and better overall. Happy I switched from suspenders.

Jim1648
10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I was thinking that suspenders and an outer vest carrier might be a good option for some people.

GIOSTORMUSNRET
10-07-2011, 11:05 PM
I used to use suspenders too, but they got to be too much work and cut into my shoulders.

I found the Atlas system to be much easier and better overall. Happy I switched from suspenders.

The Atlas system doesn't deal with the issue of the weight of the belt and it's effects on the lower back and hips.

SCSU74
10-08-2011, 01:45 AM

made right here in fort worth! we got ours for free in the academy and have worn it every day since, i really love the rig and have no back pain to speak off, i would gladly spend the money if we were not provided with them.

www.backdefensesystems.com

westside popo
10-08-2011, 07:32 AM
The backdefense system. They do work and help with reducing back injuries or pain.

http://www.backdefensesystems.com/

made right here in fort worth! we got ours for free in the academy and have worn it every day since, i really love the rig and have no back pain to speak off, i would gladly spend the money if we were not provided with them.

www.backdefensesystems.com

That's it! It was a night and day difference for me and feel it was well worth the money.

HEDP
10-08-2011, 01:13 PM
The Atlas system doesn't deal with the issue of the weight of the belt and it's effects on the lower back and hips.

Yes it does.

Spine-Safe Posture

The TacPlate System helps protect your spine by acting like a bridge: It cantilevers the load of your duty rig off of your abdomen, placing the load onto the optimum load-bearing points of your pelvis. Additionally, the system helps you to stand with spine-safe postures by lifting your duty rig off of the muscles that stabilize your spine--allowing them to work normally.

Using the latest engineering analysis techniques, we simulated the impact that standard duty gear has on the body. The irregular pressure (shown above in red) distribution is the primary culprit of an your discomfort and can contribute to chronic nerve and spine damage.

We designed the TacPlate System with an organic shape to battle that discomfort. TacPlates' shape easily interfaces with your hip’s natural load bearing structures. By optimizing the load paths for ergonomics and performance, the TacPlate System makes your equipment a tactical asset, rather than a health liability.

Additionally, the TacPlate System is optimized to distribute the pressure comfortably over a large area--more importantly, the correct area. The use of carbon fiber composite enabled us to tailor the material properties such that the plates move with you, distribute pressure points, and provide the support required.

Mrsaints75
10-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Lower back pain. I had to remove one of my handcuff cases and moving stuff around on my belt. I tried to wear my cuffs up front. I liked, but I ended up sitting on my flashlight. I am looking to get the slim line mag pouch so I can have more room on my belt. I am not planning on adding tactual girth anytime soon, so I need to play around and move things once in a while. Once in awhile my hips will hurt. I am finding out if I keep the small of my back clear with no gear, my back doesn't hurt.

kf4vix82
10-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Lower back pain. I had to remove one of my handcuff cases and moving stuff around on my belt. I tried to wear my cuffs up front. I liked, but I ended up sitting on my flashlight. I am looking to get the slim line mag pouch so I can have more room on my belt. I am not planning on adding tactual girth anytime soon, so I need to play around and move things once in a while. Once in awhile my hips will hurt. I am finding out if I keep the small of my back clear with no gear, my back doesn't hurt.

I don't wear anything over my back. I can't stand anything there. I had to ditch a pair of cuffs to be comfortable, so I only carry 1 pair now; I keep an extra couple sets in my bag in the car.

If I ditched my flashlight, I could carry 2 sets of cuffs, but I use that light way more often than I ever needed 2 cuffs.

Besides, I've reached that point where I decided that, if I die because I didn't have a second pair of cuffs, then my time has come. You can prepare for every "what if" in the book, and be miserable carrying around a bunch of $hi+, or carry what you know you will need, and maybe a little extra, and be comfortable while you're here. So, I choose that option. :)

I can't stand those guys that I work with that have 3 guns, 3 sets of cuffs, a bag full of loaded magazines, inside the waistband ka-bar knives under their duty belts, and the list goes on. If I had all that crap, I wouldn't get out of my car. I'd just sit there and be angry. And it also seems to me that the people that do the least and talk the loudest, have the most crap on their waist. I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant. :D

Nawkternal
10-13-2011, 04:33 AM
a) Lower back right waist area.
b) Short-term
c) I'm a young buck so I manned up lol but I got a massage and did some lower back workouts
d) Negative
e) We had to do fall drills on a padded floor with full gear and I probably strained the area. My waist line is 32 so I do not have a lot of "tactical" girth, I didn't have any gear on the back portion of the duty belt. I have a Hindi style layout

SCSU74
10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
I can't stand those guys that I work with that have 3 guns, 3 sets of cuffs, a bag full of loaded magazines, inside the waistband ka-bar knives under their duty belts, and the list goes on. If I had all that crap, I wouldn't get out of my car. I'd just sit there and be angry. And it also seems to me that the people that do the least and talk the loudest, have the most crap on their waist. I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant. :D

I would much rather have too much equipment than not enough... I know i've personally never got on scene to a call and wished i had less handcuffs, but there have been multiple occasions where i wished i had more...

kf4vix82
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I would much rather have too much equipment than not enough... I know i've personally never got on scene to a call and wished i had less handcuffs, but there have been multiple occasions where i wished i had more...

Yeah, I know. I have been on both sides of the argument. And, even since I've only been carrying 1 set of cuffs, there have been times where I wished I had a 2nd pair that was immediately accessible... not enough to actually carry a 2nd set, just to wish I had one. LOL

If I carried everything that I thought would be useful, I would need a 2nd belt slung over my shoulders and maybe even a backpack. I just got to the point where I had to prioritize what I really "needed" and ditch the rest.

SCSU74
10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I know. I have been on both sides of the argument. And, even since I've only been carrying 1 set of cuffs, there have been times where I wished I had a 2nd pair that was immediately accessible... not enough to actually carry a 2nd set, just to wish I had one. LOL

If I carried everything that I thought would be useful, I would need a 2nd belt slung over my shoulders and maybe even a backpack. I just got to the point where I had to prioritize what I really "needed" and ditch the rest.

ya def understandable, i carry a pair in my vest over trauma plate may be an option for you if you are trying to keep stuff off of your belt?

kf4vix82
10-14-2011, 01:52 AM
ya def understandable, i carry a pair in my vest over trauma plate may be an option for you if you are trying to keep stuff off of your belt?

There's a guy I work with who does that, but I haven't done it because that's where I keep my tourniquet.

That Guy
10-14-2011, 05:33 AM
First thing to do is reevaluate the stuff you carry and where you carry it. Over the years I've gone with the "less is more" philosophy. If anything the only pain I've had was from having to almost climb out of these damn sedans we drive. Works for short folks; not to much for tall.

HEDP
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

There is a newer closed top double cuff case that works well, especially if you carry your cuffs up front.

SCSU74
10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
First thing to do is reevaluate the stuff you carry and where you carry it. Over the years I've gone with the "less is more" philosophy. If anything the only pain I've had was from having to almost climb out of these damn sedans we drive. Works for short folks; not to much for tall.

story of my life, i have getting in and out of the crown vic down to a science haha. Being 6'5 sucks wearing a gunbelt and trying to sit down in those cars

josephcook78
10-15-2011, 03:45 PM
A few weeks ago I had bruises on my hips from being on foot for 8 hours at our annual festival. I have to have my leather inner belt pretty dang tight because of my body shape (slender/no hips-butt) and the duty belt always wants to slide down lower than I like. If I'm in the car alot it's not so bad, but when at events and whatnot for a few hours it tends to aggrivate me. I have the Bianchi tri-release belt. When we could wear BDU's I wore a thigh holster and it helped take some of the weight off my hips, but we've since changed uniforms.