PDA

View Full Version : OC Spray day....

rejuvin8ed
03-01-2002, 01:58 AM
Ok, I got my application for the local academy and while thumbing through it I saw a form that states they spray you with OC pepper spray, I just wanted to know kinda what the feeling is like (pain, nausea, stinging, etc) from those of you who have had this done. If its too hard for you guys (gals) to explain I guess i'll just have to go buy a bottle and see for myself first hand before they spray me :eek: but thats a last resort type of thing :D LMAO, anyways, thanks in advance for your replies.

Evnings
03-01-2002, 02:15 AM
I've only gotten hit with overspray, and it hurt. I also had my can hang open after I had sprayed someone and put it back in its holster. It ran all the way down my leg and got into my crotch. I was really sore for a few hours

Get ready to sling elephant snot for awhile and have your face feel like it is on fire.
You'll have a real ruddy complextion for several hours too.

Fast_1
03-01-2002, 02:24 AM
You know, this might sound kinda strange, but I've been toying with the idea of trying my spray. Not spraying it in my face or anything but maybe putting in on a tissue. Any suggestions how I can "try" it without really trying it too much?? :confused: Why was I born with such a curious nature??

Evnings
03-01-2002, 02:29 AM
A little dab will do ya. Right beneath the eye by your tear duct.

casperd38478
03-01-2002, 02:42 AM
You lucky guy, you havent been sprayed yet,all of us had to be sprayed to carry oc, we do this so we know first had how it effects a person if we dont get sprayed we dont carry it, so you have fun and be ready for all the things you described to happen. PS dont go run take a shower you may get it in places you dont want to. you have heard of setting the woods on fire when it gets in the wrong places you think you have set down in a fire.I will be thinking about you .

adam
03-01-2002, 02:52 AM
We were sprayed directly in the face in the academy. The reaction really depends on the person. The basic reaction is quick irritation to the face, tearing, running membranes (you'll have clear sinuses in no time), and a feeling of burning on your face. It lasts 10-30 minutes depending again on the person.

A lot of departments and academies no longer require recruits to be sprayed. My instructors felt that it's important for all recruits to feel the effects of OC. There are two basic reasons:

a) It's good for liability. If an officer knows what OC feels like he can better explain the use of it in court. If an officer can say "I've been sprayed with OC directly in the face, much like how the defendant was, and know what it feels like. And based upon the situation and the defendants resistance I felt OC was appropriate" looks good in court, both for the judge and the jury.

b) If a suspect ever assaults you as an officer with OC you will know how OC affects you and can react more appropriately. Before we were sprayed our instructor asked us if we thought deadly force would be warranted if a suspect sprayed us with OC. There were mixed responses, however afterwards we all said yes.

We were just sprayed. Some academies spray you then require that you draw and take cover.

I'm going to be sprayed again in a few weeks for a security job I got for the summer. I'm not looking forward to it, but it's only bad for a few minutes.

SpecOpsWarrior
03-01-2002, 07:54 AM
It feels about like shaving with that really thick sanpaper and then using alcohol for after shave. The stuff hurts like a B***H!

When I first got sprayed it took a couple seconds to kick in, I thought I was one of those 5% that was immune, then it kicked in and I cussed like a drunken sailor. With good decon it only lasted a few minutes and I was ok, so it wasnt really that bad.

Don
03-01-2002, 09:20 AM
Picture what it would feel like if you decided to dunk your face in the deep fat frier at McDonalds. Ok, now got it? :eek:

Well it isn't quite that bad and doesn't hurt for near as long. But it's not exactly a walk in the park either. IMHO if you carry it, you should have been exposed to it.

Now this does NOT mean that I think everbody should be shot before they are allowed to carry a gun! :p ;)

cajuncop
03-01-2002, 11:52 AM
While in the academy I was sprayed directly in the face, then had to react by attacking my aggressor.

It burns like H*ll and clears your sinuses. It also clinches your eyes shut, and for me made it hard to breath.

I was told that I needed to force my eyes open, to allow my tear ducts to drain. After doing so, I felt better. It took about 20 minutes for the OC to wear off.

Afterwards, I washed my face and hair. Oh, and that reactivated the OC, but it wasn't as bad as when I was first sprayed.

Remember to wash your face and hair first, before you take a shower, because it all runs down hill from there.

rcso-7s05
03-01-2002, 12:09 PM
I've had extensive training in the use of oc through out my career with the prison system. I have dispensed over a hundred cans of o.c in the last 13 years as a supervisor. It really does depend on the person being sprayed. I've had people that have reacted very quickly to it and I've seen people that have no reaction to it at all. Myself, you can shoot 10% o.c. directly in my face and I can deal with it with very little effect, I believe this is from building up a tolerance to it. How ever, there is a new o.c. called phase iv that will completly mess me up. This also will blister on contact. :cool:

wesconn207
03-01-2002, 12:12 PM
I've been sprayed many times and there is some discomfort for a period of time but, it is good to know the odor and the feelings.
It came in handy for me one night when people were complaining of an "strange odor" in a building. Upon checking I immediately knew what it was, I could smell the odor and felt the tingling. Kids were screwing around with the stuff.

Our academy uses 5 gallon buckets with cold water running into them constantly so that they are always overflowing (to float away the OC after one is sprayed). If your academy uses something like this, stick your head ALL the way into the bucket to get the stuff off your head, and force yourself to open your eyes underwater repeatedly to rinse out the OC. DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES!

Hopefully they'll allow you to wear old clothes that you can bag up & throw away after the excersise. (stinks up the washing machine).

I'm not a big fan of the "instuctor just sprays the person in the face method". It's more challenging when there's a threat to the person doing the spraying, it tests their application skills.
We partner up for the role play, and the person being sprayed gets to charge to towards and "assault" the person doing the spraying.. if they get that far.

My one opportunity to choke my Sgt and I didn't make.. scared the hell out him though.

kirch
03-01-2002, 12:50 PM
I have to relate this tale told to me by a paramedic who is going through the academy with me now.

He works most of the time at a station next to a tech school, where the local PD runs its academy. On OC day, the instructor asks the paramedics to be there if they're not out on a call (the benefits of a liability-suit-happy society). The training involves 3 participants - the recruit getting sprayed (who is issued a paintball gun), another recruit who does the spraying and an instructor in a Red Man suit. The sprayer gives the sprayee a blast directly in the face, then moves off to the side 10 or 20 yards. Then the sprayee must react to what the Red Man is doing. This might include verbal commands, defense & arrrest tactics or even deadly force (with the paintball gun).

One OC day this particular recruit was sprayed, then started giving commands to the Red Man. RM did not comply and started advancing on the recruit. The recruit gives a few more verbal commands as he's backing away. By this time the OC is really working it's magic and he's having trouble keeping his eyes open. He forces his eyes open one more time and sees the RM advancing with a knife. He pulls his (paintball) gun and fires...

...hitting the sprayer smack in the back of the head.

They had trouble continuing the training after that -- everyone was laughing too hard.

rejuvin8ed
03-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody, ok heres what im gonna do, I am going to get a bottle have my friend spray me and dunk my head in an overflowing 5 gallon bucket after said spray, what a freind huh LOL! Thanks agaon for the advice.

adam
03-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Just set it up so that your friend gets some of the back spray from the wind :)

A garden house is probably one of the best ways to quickly get some relief. But as long as you have flowing cold water you'll be good. Once there's OC in the water it's no good anymore. As said before, the big trick is opening your eyes and keeping them open.

adam
03-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Also, if you're going to spray yourself, use whatever OC your academy uses. OC sprays are different and will affect you differently. I was hit with First Defense 10% which is what a lot of departments use.

rejuvin8ed
03-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by adam:
<STRONG>Just set it up so that your friend gets some of the back spray from the wind :)
</STRONG>

10-4 :D , it has been pretty windy out hehe :D , I dont know if its the First Defense brand but I have the MSDS's of the spray and am going to take a trip to the distributor to try to pick up a can.

Jay Simon
03-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Just my little input on this subject. First time I got sprayed was after a 5 1/2 mile run. It hurt but was livable. After getting sprayed and everybody calmed down however, I went to take a shower. Now the alarm bells should have been going nuts (no pun intended) but they didn't and needless to say, that was the most painfull shower of my life!

wesconn207
03-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Si_man:
<STRONG>Just my little input on this subject. First time I got sprayed was after a 5 1/2 mile run. It hurt but was livable. After getting sprayed and everybody calmed down however, I went to take a shower. Now the alarm bells should have been going nuts (no pun intended) but they didn't and needless to say, that was the most painfull shower of my life!</STRONG>

I guess they forgot to tell you that the product travels down along the body with the water??? :eek: gives a new meaning to that Jerry Lee Lewis song. :p whoo hoo! LMAO!
That's why we use the bucket method! ;)

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: 207 ]

PeelerUSA
03-01-2002, 07:53 PM
THIS IS A RESPONSE TO ADAMS OBSERVATION

In my Dept. we are going to shoot officers with live rounds both when they are wearing/not wearing bullet proof vests.

1. Because it is good for LIABILITY. so they will know in the future if they have to shoot anyone, how it feels to be shot.

2. Then we are going to ask them, if they think it warrants a use of deadly force response, if they get shot?

*** I am just giving you a bad time bro. ***
:) :) :)

They did the OC spray thing in my academy too. Fortunately they asked for volunteers, and believe me there are always a few.
I might add that I was not one of them. I have had the pepper placed on the cheek under an eye and for example purposes I think that is enough.

I have never been poked in the eye with a blunt stick or stabbed with any weapon, but I do not think I need to be given the experience to see how I would react to it.

I have however been hit in the nuts on a prior occasion (not job related).... MMMMM I wonder how recruits would react after that?
Maybe we should implement that in the academies too. :)

Anyway as u have probably guessed I am against recruits being sprayed with Pepper.
In many States it is a Felony to spray an individual without consent or legal cause.

However I do believe everyone should go thru the gas house at least once, then u will really find out what it is like to be totally debilitated, believe me u will stay away from CS gas after that.

Stay Safe........

krcool32
03-01-2002, 08:14 PM
I heard that if you had corrective eye surgery (Lasik, PRK), you are exempt from getting sprayed with OC. LASIK modifies the cornea of the eye, pepper spray will irritate the mucus membrane, which will cause your eyes to try to defend themselves by tearing. Enough EMT talk, you'll be a hurting unit!!!

GOOD LUCK

swatdoc
03-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Well guy I have been sprayed in the face and finger swiped both,and Iam going to tell u the truth once you get your breath back just worrie about getting your eyes open it takes abut 20 min. for it to be over with. But I will tell you this dont worrie your self to death its nothing u cant stand. look at it this way they have been a whole lot of people go threw it and we all lived.After u do it u wont ever abuse it and thats the reason they do it good luck

occiferdave
03-01-2002, 10:20 PM
At the Academy I was involved with, We did the following on Chem day:

--1 mile run with gas mask

--Triple Chasers, run through with full riot gear.

--CS gas house with mask, remove, state your name, rank and emp id, clear, mask on.

--CS gas house with no mask, walk in, speed cuff the recruit in front of you, and wait until the next recruit comes in to cuff you.

--Then Lunch

--OC In the face, full 2 sec spray, then gun retention against our SWAT team.

===========
What does it feel like?

CS Gas - Do all of the following at once:
--Swallow a rock big enough to block your airway.
--Have your partner pour Tabasco in your nose and eyes
--have him slap you in the face as hard as he can over and over again

OC Spary - In my opinion, this is worse than CS gas. Here's my take on what it feels like. Take your contacts (if you don't have one, get a pair) put two eyelashes under each contact, place in your eyes. Now find your way to the fireplace and place your head in it.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: occiferdave ]

FED1
03-03-2002, 02:12 AM
FIRE IN A CAN BABY, WHEW!!!! You will burn and it will not be a pleasant experience.. However it isn't anything that you can't handle. I went through the Gas chamber the day before and I personally felt that the pepper was more effective at putting me down. I am confident now carrying it because I know the effect that it had on me, and I'm not a small guy (6ft, 210lbs). I think that part of being a good LEO is being capable of rational thought and being able to handle situations on a case by case basis. This is why I DO feel that it is important to be sprayed with OC while in training. Obviously we cannot shoot Recruits in the academy for court testimony purposes due to the deadly force capabilities of a firearm, however rational LEO's should want to train and know first hand all the effects of their secondary (non-deadly-force) weapons. This will enable officers to make better choices on whether or not they need to go to their firearm for self-defense... .Just my thoughts.. GOOD LUCK

jmtbop
03-04-2002, 05:20 PM
The effects vary from person to person. When i was sprayed i only had minor problems with burning around the eyes, but i was still able to see clearly. Others in my group had some severe burning in the eyes and around the face. I did not feel most of the effects until i took a shower afterwards with cold water. it was not too pleasant!