PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Police Academy to College Credit

Zurita210
06-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Has anyone ever done this? Ive heard different things about this... Another question I have is are there any drawbacks to doing this?? Meaning, on some police applications they ask how many college hours do you have, but its states not counting police academy?? If im able to do this and transfer police academy credit to college credit will it be a credible associates degree?? Ive heard you can get up to 20 or 25 college credits...

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

josephcook78
06-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I had heard of a college that was doing it back when I went through the academy in '01. Some of our guys did that, and got credit. I was one of the dumb ones that didn't do for some reason. I think the college that they did it through gave like 7x hours. If I could still get credit for mine now I'd jump on it.

Zurita210
06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Yea, im interesting in that. Means less time for me to get my bachelors. One of the guys in my police academy was talking about that and stated something about how his sister had told him that he could do it. I guess ill talk to an advisor at my college.

KrazyKen
06-09-2011, 09:13 PM
I just graduated from an academy in East Texas. I received a total 40 credit hours in one semester. The 34 where the core criminal justice courses and the other 6 was Report Writing and Spanish. Everyone pretty much graduated with an Associates Degree and Passed TCLEOSE. This academy is 1 of the 3 or 4 who provides college credit for attending the full-time academy. It's pricey but worth it. All instructors are retired Peace Officers with Masters Degrees. PM me and I will give you info to contact our Director he could definitely help you out are give you direction.

Zurita210
06-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I just graduated from an academy in East Texas. I received a total 40 credit hours in one semester. The 34 where the core criminal justice courses and the other 6 was Report Writing and Spanish. Everyone pretty much graduated with an Associates Degree and Passed TCLEOSE. This academy is 1 of the 3 or 4 who provides college credit for attending the full-time academy. It's pricey but worth it. All instructors are retired Peace Officers with Masters Degrees. PM me and I will give you info to contact our Director he could definitely help you out are give you direction.

PM sent. Send me his info. Ill be contacting the VA advisors at my college which falls under the same branch of where I attended the academy. Both are Lonestar colleges in the sorrounding Houston area.

josephcook78
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Did you go to ETPA?

Zurita210
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Did you go to ETPA?

What's ETPA?

The D
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
I got 18 hours to the local community college from my academy.

josephcook78
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
What's ETPA?

My bad, meant to quote KrazyKen since he said East Tx. ETPA is East Texas Police Academy out of Kilgore College.

DrJbdm
06-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Every university is different when it comes to granting college credit for the police academy and then it also matters when it was that you graduated from the academy. In recent years the academy has grown from being 400 hrs to now being somewhere over 800 hrs.

The Austin Community College grants only 15 hrs of college credit, while other local or even non local colleges may grant more. Rio Salado College in Tempe AZ will grant up to 39 hours of college credit for someone who graduated from the academy in the last several years. They have an agreement with TCLEOSE regarding that. They will apply those 39 hours to an Associate’s degree in Law Enforcement Technology, so all you’re faced with is needing 24 hrs in the general education courses to complete the degree requirements. You will of course pay Rio Salado a fee for those credits which could cost you somewhere around $1300 give or take which is still cheaper than actually earning those credits in the classroom.

The important thing when looking at colleges or universities is looking at their accreditation, it can be a bit confusing with terms like Regionally Accredited and Nationally Accredited. The easy way to remember is that Regional Accreditation is considered better than National Accreditation. I don't know of any regionally accredited school (ie: all major colleges and Universities) that will accept credits earned by a school that is nationally accredited by the DETC (Distance Education Training Council) which is a recognized National Accreditation member. In other words, if the school you attended is Nationally Accredited you will probably have a very hard time transferring credits to a traditional college or University. To further muddy these waters, TCLEOSE will not accept college credits that are earned from a school that is not regionally accredited. Almost all traditional brick and mortar schools are Regionally Accredited while almost all trade schools like ITT Tech or even some on-line only schools are nationally accredited. It pays to take a good look at that sort of thing before earning credits at a school.
It is important to note that being nationally accredited does not mean that the school or the quality of the education is bad, it only means that the credits are unlikely to transfer or the degree is not likely to be recognized by TCLEOSE or by some agencies.

Zurita210
06-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Roget that DrJbdm, thanks for the info

josephcook78
06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I just emailed Rio Salado to see what all I'd need to get credit.

DrJbdm
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
For those officers still wanting to earn a bachelors degree from a regionally accredited school, here are some ideas. Rio Salado has a partnership with Ottawa University to earn a bachelors degree in Police Science or Law Enforcement Administration. Not sure on the cost involved, but they will accept all of the hours earned at Rio Salado including the 39 hrs for the police academy towards that degree plan.

Another option, and very possibly a cheaper option is to look as Charter Oak State College, they are a regionally accredited school that has a very liberal credit granting policy. They have no limit on the amount of credits you can transfer in or that you can earn thru exam; meaning, that it is possible that you can earn a bachelors degree totally by Credit by Exam using a combination of CLEP, DANTES and GRE Subject Area Examinations. I know a guy who earned his degree that way, it took him pretty close to two years, maybe a bit over but he went in with no college credit and took CLEP and GRE Subject area exams as well as military occupational credit granted by ACE.

He had earned all of his credit with exams and military credit given by the American Council on Education (ACE). ACE is a great way to get college credit recommendations for the stuff you have done in the military or even out of the military. For instance in my case, ACE evaluated the Air Force Squadron Officer School at 5 or 6 hrs of Graduate Credit or I could take the undergraduate credit which was listed at 9 hrs. Air Command and Staff College is evaluated at somewhere around 28 hrs of graduate credit, I believe the Air Force Air University grants a masters degree for those Air Force Officers completing that program these days.....that’s my next hurdle. ACE also evaluates other courses you may have taken outside of the military, for instance a private pilot license is listed at 6 hrs of credit and an instrument rating is listed at an additional 6 hrs, Scuba Certification is listed at 1 hr of college credit. These things add up pretty quick and can be worth looking into for those who are looking for college credit for a degree. But every university is free to decide if they will accept the credit recommendations given by ACE, some will accept all, some accept only a little. Plus the credit may or may not fit into a particular degree plan. Either way, it’s something to think about.

josephcook78
06-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Got an email from Rio Salado with all the info. that I need to send them along with payment to get the 39 hours. I'm wanting to get my Bachelors degree but will have to do everything online. I've got like 24hrs of basics with English/History/Psych./Sociology & some others. I might check out ACE, I have my Scuba Certification through NAUI so that'd be an hour there.

Zurita210
06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I have another question, what about all these TCLEOSE classes that I have been taking to get my intermediate license? Domestic violence, civil process, some tactical shooting classes, use of force, community policing, etc. Is it possible for me to transfer these classes over for college credit as well?

josephcook78
06-19-2011, 01:23 AM
I have another question, what about all these TCLEOSE classes that I have been taking to get my intermediate license? Domestic violence, civil process, some tactical shooting classes, use of force, community policing, etc. Is it possible for me to transfer these classes over for college credit as well?

I was wondering about that as well.

DrJbdm
06-19-2011, 06:04 AM
From what I can remember, the vast majority of those courses do not count for anything. It's a time consuming and expensive deal to have ACE come and evaluate courses. TCLEOSE courses have never been known of being very academically rigorous; we all know that short of falling asleep thru the whole course, everyone pretty much passes. The thing to do is to contact ACE and look thru a course catalog and see if anything you have done has been evaluated for college credit.

Those courses that might count for college credit hours are some of the leadership classes such as the LCC (Leadership Command College) put on by Sam Houston State University.

Some Universities will grant college credit for what they call Life Learning Knowledge, or Credit by Portfolio. Essentially, you put together a portfolio about a particular skill or set of knowledge that relates to a specific college course, you detail how you learned it, give examples of what you have learned and then an advisor looks it over and determines if it meets the guidelines for credit for that course. For example, say you learned Spanish as a child, you grew up learning the proper structure of the language, how to speak, write and understand the concepts of it. Why then should you have to take a Spanish course for college credit? More and more universities are seeing the logic in granting credit for stuff you may already know.
If we thought of it, most of us probably have learned a skill or several skills that relates directly to some college classes, if you can detail the knowledge correctly, you may be able to get college credit for it. I know that Texas State University allows this, as does Charter Oak State College and Thomas Edison State College, I’m not sure off hand who else does, I am sure it is pretty popular.
By the way, what is Rio Salado charging now for the 39 hrs?

josephcook78
06-19-2011, 02:11 PM
By the way, what is Rio Salado charging now for the 39 hrs?

The fee is $34.50 per credit hour, and is not refundable after the evaluation process has been conducted. The fee for all 39 LET (Law Enforcement Technology) credits is $1345.50 (refer to back for listing of classes). Fees are subject to change by the Maricopa Community Colleges Governing Board.

josephcook78
06-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Here is the list of courses you'd get credit for:

Law Enforcement Technology Courses:
LET100 Introduction to Law Enforcement Technology 1
LET102 Criminal Investigation 4
LET106 Patrol Procedures 2
LET109 Criminal Law 2
LET111 Tactical Driving 2
LET119 Community Relations 1
LET125 Legal Aspects of Law Enforcement 2
LET127 Field Problems 2