PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

RPD Explorer
04-24-2001, 11:37 AM
Someone told me that it is illegal to have any type of devise in your ear while driving, such as headphones.

Is this true, or just a figment of their imagination. What is your state's rule on this?

Mike

Don
04-24-2001, 12:43 PM
RPD that is a pretty broad statement. That would mean that folks with hearing aids would have to remove them while driving. I just don't hardly think so.

At one time, it was against the law in California to drive with a headset on, unless you were operating an emergency vehicle. I just attempted to find the section in CVC and was unable to locate it. Perhaps Pelican Driver, or one of our other CHPS can help us out here.

------------------
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
6P1 (retired)

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 04-24-2001).]

cajuncop
04-24-2001, 01:40 PM
In Louisiana it is against the law to wear headphones while operating a vehicle.

------------------
Without the support of our fellow officers, sometimes we have no support at all.

Niteshift
04-24-2001, 01:56 PM
In FL, you must have one ear uncovered. That allows you to use the hands free cell phone mics.

------------------
Niteshift-
Perseverate In Pugna

Zaw
04-24-2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by cajuncop:
In Louisiana it is against the law to wear headphones while operating a vehicle.

Even the Cell phone headset?

Sig220Man
04-24-2001, 05:00 PM
Don,

The section in question is CVC 27400, which prohibits motor vehicle or bicycle operation with both ears covered or plugged. The exceptions are:

1. Emergency vehicle operators
2. Operators of construction equipment
3. Garbage collectors
4. Hearing aid wearers
5. Wearers of custom-made noise attenuators that DON'T block the noise of horns or sirens.

Don
04-24-2001, 05:47 PM
I thank you Sig! I was searching using the wrong words. I was looking for "headphones" instead of "headsets." DUH

------------------
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
6P1 (retired)

Jims
04-29-2001, 02:09 AM
In Virginia, you may not wear headphones while driving except for certain exceptions, such as noise reducing headphones for the firefighters. So - the short answer is no, you may not listen to your Discman, etc. while driving. In terms of hands-free phones,though so long as both ears aren't covered the charge may not stick; I'd have to look close at the code book. But don't do it, it's still too distracting!

kd5hqd
04-29-2001, 02:31 PM
Don't quote me, but I believe in Texas, there is no law against it, although it is generally not a good idea to wear headphones while driving. The ham radio in my car is all hands free but I still sometimes get distracted by listening to the conversation, so I don't even have that on all of the time.

Kyle, KD5HQD

RPD Explorer
04-29-2001, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys.

That pretty much answers my question.

Mike