PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult Written Exam you have taken with a CA LE agency?

camelotskin
03-10-2011, 04:58 AM
I am just curious...What is the most difficult written exam you have taken with a CA LE agency? So far I have tested with: Beverly Hills PD, Irvine PD, Manhatten Beach PD, Monrovia PD, SDPD, LASD, OCSD, LAPD, Santa Monica PD, Tustin PD, and Torrance PD. What I have noticed, except for the standard P.O.S.T. PELLETB exam, is that some of the exams seem to be unnecessarily difficult even though I have passed all but two of the ones I have listed here. I will be testing with Newport PD soon and I heard their exam only has about a 30% pass rate. Thx

avalon42
03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Department of Mental Health so far. It was tough, no math but a plethora of confusing diagrams and essays. Non-standard POST, made by a firm called CPS.

I've taken OCSD's test and it was pretty easy for being non-standard POST.

LA DEP
03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
The written exam for Sgt on my dept.....

nobodyjr
03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
The POST dispatcher exam. It's actually not even passable, the grades are done on a comparison basis to others who have taken the test. The cop tests are cake in comparison. Everyone should require a written essay. Too many people are awful at writing.

SCV-Sop
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
The T-Test isn’t a cake walk.

The FBI’s was hardest by far.

Some tests require you know compass directions.

Some tests require you know how to memorize things.

Some tests require you can follow and interpret instructions.

Some tests require you are good at spelling and vocabulary (the T-test).

They are all relative, and I think if you have a good broad knowledge you should pass them all. None of them aren’t hard, but say you don’t know how to read a map for instance, you are dead in the water for Santa Clara SO.

Also, it’s kind of a crap shoot with some of these tests and what a department might be looking for. I failed Woodland’s for example, however, I’ve Passed the FBI’s, Santa Clara SO, and got a 56.8 on my T-test. But for some reason I failed Woodland’s.

camelotskin
03-10-2011, 02:37 PM
SCV-SOP, You are pretty much dead on. I guess if you take enough exams, if you do have a weakness...i.e. map reading, memory, etc., you will eventually be exposed. Unless of course you have no weaknesses.

camelotskin
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Avalon, OCSD's was pretty easy but LAPD's has got to be the easiest exam around. But suprisingly LAPD makes it difficult to score above 85 because it's a subjective test.

chazzz53
03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
All the tests I have taken have been easy, at least I haven't failed one yet!

pappabacon
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Department of Mental Health so far. It was tough, no math but a plethora of confusing diagrams and essays. Non-standard POST, made by a firm called CPS.

I've taken OCSD's test and it was pretty easy for being non-standard POST.

Agreed. It was rather challenging. I was very used to exams consisting of proper grammar and spelling, but that one was rough.

nobodyjr
03-10-2011, 07:14 PM
If you can't read a TB guide you shouldn't be a cop. And the t-test is the one with the crossword puzzle at the end right? That was a joke. LE tests have been reduced to JR high school levels in this state.

JeffMerr
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The POST dispatcher exam. It's actually not even passable, the grades are done on a comparison basis to others who have taken the test. The cop tests are cake in comparison. Everyone should require a written essay. Too many people are awful at writing.

I agree. Sounds funny but the POST Dispatcher exam is ****ing ridiculous. So stressful beyond what it really needs to be, and since there is no way to complete any of the sections you never know how you are doing, not to mention it's 3.5-4hrs long.

camelotskin
03-10-2011, 08:06 PM
That's right. The T-score is from the P.O.S.T./PELLETB exam with the "Cloze" portion aka "crossword puzzle" at the end. However, i wouldn't say that all the written exams are "Jr. High School" level. For instance, Beverly Hills PD only has about a 30-40 percent pass rate, as opposed to other written exams that have a much higher pass percentage. The P.O.S.T. exam is just a reading and writing exam with various "pass points" depending on the agency you are applying with. Typically with a T-score between T-48-T-52.

camelotskin
03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
That sucks! I have never taken the Dispatcher exam. My point in starting this thread was to understand why some agencies are going above and beyond what is necessary when administering their written exams. I guess it's just another way to screen for certain applicants...i.e. if they can't say that you need a B.A., they will just use an exam that screens for individuals who more than likely have one.

JeffMerr
03-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Apples and oranges. You'd be surprised how many people completely fail the pre-post. It's just a way of getting rid of the people who shouldn't be there in the first place. They'll flush out the others who shouldn't be there physically during the physical agility, and then flush out the rest during backgrounds/oral.

OPD510
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Response edited

DCH
03-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Of the multitude of written exams I've taken, LASD's DST exam rates as the toughest in my opinion. A bunch of us took it right before we graduated Reserve Module D back in '99. A few did not pass and had to wait and retake with the mandatory waiting period at the time..

The DHS CBP written was also a a tough exam..

..I passed both.

camelotskin
03-16-2011, 03:04 AM
I took LASD's in 2008 and thought I did poorly but scored rather high. They had 60 questions then so it may or may not have been the same exam you took. That was when I first started testing in LE. At the time I did think it was harder than what I imagined. I thought all LE exams would be cake!

DOAcop38
03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Don't know if its been mentioned, but the L.A. School PD has a very tough ( or at least they did) written exam- and was told that at least 30% + actually fail the entry exam......

Blind Justice
03-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Im taking the LAPD written in 2 weeks. It will be my second CA test, other than the 100q for the POST Waiver. Berkeley PD was rather simple, but a lot of math.

Anyone know which departments accept the waiver?

camelotskin
03-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Blind Justice, I'm not sure which agencies accept the waiver, however LAPD's written exam is pretty easy. Just 3 essay questions.

camelotskin
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
DOAcop38, Do you mean 30% pass? Because if 30% fail that wouldn't be too bad IMO. That would mean 70% pass. Don't know too much about LA School PD, but I thought about testing there as well. You know more than anybody on this forum so I will have some questions for you.

Zam
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I agree with DOAcop38. LASPD's written test was pretty tough.

hbliam
03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
That's right. The T-score is from the P.O.S.T./PELLETB exam with the "Cloze" portion aka "crossword puzzle" at the end. However, i wouldn't say that all the written exams are "Jr. High School" level. For instance, Beverly Hills PD only has about a 30-40 percent pass rate, as opposed to other written exams that have a much higher pass percentage. The P.O.S.T. exam is just a reading and writing exam with various "pass points" depending on the agency you are applying with. Typically with a T-score between T-48-T-52.

The pass rate of a test doesn't mean it's difficult and doesn't mean it's above junior high school level, it means uneducated, dense people are taking the test. Every police test (LAPD, LBPD, NBPD, CMPD, HBPD) I took was a joke. I took one at Costa Mesa that gave a T-score. Ten minutes after we started I was done. They thought I wanted a bathroom break when I turned my stuff in to leave. I never got my score but did get moved to the next phase.

I took the LSAT a few weeks ago. That's the first test I've ever thought was hard.

hbliam
03-16-2011, 09:01 PM
double double

DOAcop38
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
DOAcop38, Do you mean 30% pass? Because if 30% fail that wouldn't be too bad IMO. That would mean 70% pass. Don't know too much about LA School PD, but I thought about testing there as well. You know more than anybody on this forum so I will have some questions for you.

was told this by a former LAXPD-now LASPD officer that works locally as the SRO at a nearby H.S. Remember taking the test back in the dark ages( when LASPD drove all "midnite blue"( burple) cars, and barely passed it( damn near half the folks taking the test in my group, didn't get an invite to the PFT at rio hondo Academy)

Retired96
03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I recall back in 83 or 84 LASD was concerned that the failure rate for the DST test was extremely high. So they randomly picked about 300-400 Deputies to go take the DST test. I happened to be one of those Deps, and was a little upset as I was given a moments notice and the test was on my RDO..The day of the test it turned out all the Deps. were on days off and also given very little notice....Everyone was po'ed...I don't think any of us put any effort in the exam, we justed wanted to go home on our day off....I later learned that the failure rate was very high for those seasoned Deps. that took the test....I was never told if I passed it or not...I believe the test was based on a 12th grade education....

camelotskin
03-17-2011, 12:23 AM
HBLiam, You must be hella smart finishing one exam in 10 minutes!

avalon42
03-17-2011, 12:33 AM
The pass rate of a test doesn't mean it's difficult and doesn't mean it's above junior high school level, it means uneducated, dense people are taking the test. Every police test (LAPD, LBPD, NBPD, CMPD, HBPD) I took was a joke. I took one at Costa Mesa that gave a T-score. Ten minutes after we started I was done. They thought I wanted a bathroom break when I turned my stuff in to leave. I never got my score but did get moved to the next phase.

I took the LSAT a few weeks ago. That's the first test I've ever thought was hard.

Wait a tick...you plan on going to law school? :)

camelotskin
03-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Retired96, The LASD DST exam has changed since then. It was alot tougher when you took it for sure.

hbliam
03-17-2011, 01:50 AM
HBLiam, You must be hella smart finishing one exam in 10 minutes!

I read fast and I don't agonize over the answers. I either know the answer or don't.

Got called into the tac office in the academy because I was always finishing the POST tests in 5-10 minutes and averaging 97-100%. They thought I was cheating. I told them to pull out any test and give it to me right then. They declined and left me alone.

hbliam
03-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Wait a tick...you plan on going to law school? :)

Applied at three last week, waiting on an answer. If the public wants to keep taking from us there isn't much reason to stay in the game.