PDA

View Full Version : Stop Sticks

GDenman
09-17-2001, 11:59 AM
Several of our units have spikes in them. Used to be only the supervisors carried them but they worked so well that we got some more. Supervisors aren't always available when you need them, you know. :)

I've seen a couple of times where the spikes were thrown out & the bad guy stopped to keep from running over them. I also chased a guy several miles after he blew out two tires & got a windshield full of loose gravel in the process.

policewebdev
09-17-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Gunter:
<STRONG>Been used quite a few times, effective at stopping the car sooner or later. they work on cop car tires, too...</STRONG>

I've seen most of your PD's chases on the news. I remember one or two of those patrol cars getting hit too. You probably hate it when that happens. :D Then you're out of the excitement.

policewebdev
09-18-2001, 09:27 PM
Does everyone carry them in their cars or just certain officers at your dept? Have you used them and if so, can you tell us about your experience (i.e. what happened)?

Bravo8
09-18-2001, 09:42 PM
Stop sticks......yeah right.

Sometimes I feel lucky that they supply us with a uniform.

4n6det
09-18-2001, 10:31 PM
We have the Stinger extendable metal road spikes. They are kept in every patrol vehicle and everyone is trained on them. We have used them several times and found them very effective. They are NOT good for tires that have already been flattened (by other departments who fail to tell you that they already spiked them!) Just remember to drop the rope ;)

kiser401
09-18-2001, 11:00 PM
Stop Sticks??? Yeah, if I buy them.
They're good, but so is a lot of other costly things, and in my Department, they don't make the "budget cut."

tcsd1236
09-19-2001, 05:20 AM
We carry the Stop Sticks. Training consisted of watching a video. No, have not had to actually use them.

Gilbert
09-19-2001, 07:30 AM
Only Traffic Patrols can carry stingers. Never seen a stop stick in the country

PartTimer
09-19-2001, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Bravo8:
<STRONG>Stop sticks......yeah right.

Sometimes I feel lucky that they supply us with a uniform.</STRONG>
They supply you with it? Wow, even better than ours! We even have to buy our patches/badges.

Niteshift
09-19-2001, 09:44 AM
I've used them and they worked great.

Of course, stopping depends on the driver. I had a guy continue 5 miles on the rim until the wheel just locked up, but it was still a successful deployment.

BTW, if you submit documentation of a use, Stop Stick sends you a SS pin.

Gunter
09-19-2001, 10:40 AM
We have them in each patrol vehicle (Stop Stix). Been used quite a few times, effective at stopping the car sooner or later. Training was a video and throwing them out once. BTW, they work on cop car tires, too...

Ksfuzz
09-19-2001, 01:18 PM
My experiences have been the bad guy always continued on for several miles more before stopping, crashing, etc. And very rarely did it actually slow them down!

TheSpoon
09-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Stop sticks???? lol

In our state we must be justified in using deadly force to set up ANY type of road block, and we have to leave an avenue of escape!!

highwayman
09-20-2001, 08:50 AM
The first, and so far only time Stop Sticks have been used in this state the officer was struck by the car and killed. I don't think our procedures were up to scratch. They're a good concept, we've just got work on the finer things.

Niteshift
09-20-2001, 09:44 AM
Stop Sticks are deadly force?

That's a new one on me. Your legislature needs to find out how they work. They puncture the tire and allow the air to leave in a controlled manner, allowing a safe, controlled stop.

GDenman
09-20-2001, 11:38 AM
If a stop stick is deadly force, I guess guns are out of the question, huh? :)

Niteshift
09-20-2001, 11:48 AM
Sounds to me like a great opportunity for LE in NJ to educate their legislators. Take them on a field trip, let them see them in action, watch the video and make an informed decision.

TheSpoon
09-21-2001, 08:11 PM
I may be in error. I apologize. I was under impression that Stop Sticks were a form of road block. Road Blocks in NJ are considered deadly force, I do not know status of stop sticks &lt;yet&gt;

policewebdev
09-21-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by TheSpoon:
<STRONG>I was under impression that Stop Sticks were a form of road block.</STRONG>

http://www.stopstick.com

unhappycop
09-23-2001, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by highwayman:
<STRONG>The first, and so far only time Stop Sticks have been used in this state the officer was struck by the car and killed. I don't think our procedures were up to scratch. They're a good concept, we've just got work on the finer things.</STRONG>

This was the first time they were officially used after the trial period and tender process was undertaken. They were used previously in the trial, but of course those weren't an "official" deployment of the device. When Senior Constable Affleck was killed it caused a ****fight, because the media and the depertment conveniently forgot to mention the numerous sucessful deployments in the trial and assessment period over the year or so previous to this occurrence, only stating it was the first deployment of road spikes.
:(

MSchelling
09-23-2001, 03:02 AM
We've got StopSticks in each road car and a set of Stingers at the PD. We've done multiple agency training with the SO, Staties, and surrounding agencies. We also have a multijurisdictional pursuit policy which includes the deployment of "fangs".

We incorporate StopStick training with our semiannual driver training: You have to "get" at least two tires to pass. (They have a training replica - looks & feels the same, but no spikes.) As was said above, and proven at our last training, let go of the rope and never, ever wrap it around your hand or arm!!!!! :eek: One of our detectives got cut pretty nasty - could've been a lot worse though!

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: MSchelling ]

Plaso
09-25-2001, 12:32 AM
WOW! I am a little taken aback at some of these responses here.

We have these in every vehicle and use them on a regular basis. Along with pepper ball guns and bean bag shotguns!

I get the impression that some of your departments are a little behind the technology curve.

Niteshift
09-25-2001, 12:35 AM
Not so much behind on the technology curve as being behind on the money curve.

Plaso
09-25-2001, 01:50 AM
Yes Night, I guess you are right. I am very lucky to work for a department that is very progressive and solvent to boot! :)

kd5hqd
09-25-2001, 09:53 PM
Nite, don't blame him. Remember, &lt;whisper&gt; he's from new jersey :D :D :D

Kyle
KD5HQD