PDA

View Full Version : Oak Lawn PD

cubsfan07
01-29-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm sure this isn't news to most of us on here, but I see that Oak Lawn is now accepting apps. I currently have a few years on and have I been pondering the idea of moving on. Does anyone have any knowledge of the PD, the city of Oak Lawn, top out, etc.?

Item9
01-29-2011, 04:51 AM
$52,941 STARTING SALARY
$63,758 AFTER ONE YEAR
$75,964 AFTER THREE YEARS

I don't know anything about the department.

nichtssagend86
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Their application was free last time wasn't it? This is getting expensive...
I wonder if they'll let me use the same letters of reference from two years ago...:rolleyes:

BMW1984
01-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I've been trying to find there budget for 2011. I want to make sure that they are hiring. Last time I know they had a lot of people show up to the testing. If any one knows where to find there 2011 budget can you send me a PM or post it. I think they hired last time around. I'm also looking at there 2010 Budget Workshop and it shows that police levels maintained with 5 vacancies. I wonder if they will be trying to fill those vacancies this time around. Any info would be great!! This is the year I'm getting hired I'm determined!!!

FlyChicaga
01-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I've been waiting for this test to come up. It's finally here. I'll see you all there.

niutrav09
01-29-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm sure this isn't news to most of us on here, but I see that Oak Lawn is now accepting apps. I currently have a few years on and have I been pondering the idea of moving on. Does anyone have any knowledge of the PD, the city of Oak Lawn, top out, etc.?

From the job description: Experienced Police Officers are encouraged to apply. To review our policy regarding Lateral Transfer Candidates visit our website at www.oaklawn-il.gov.

Sounds to me like they prefer laterals.

Sidenote... WOW that salary :eek:

RDM1Y
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
From the job description: Experienced Police Officers are encouraged to apply. To review our policy regarding Lateral Transfer Candidates visit our website at www.oaklawn-il.gov.

Sounds to me like they prefer laterals.

Sidenote... WOW that salary :eek:

Due to the economy, if places are hiring at all, laterals/certified hires may be the hiring trend for a bit...

gogokart98
01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I dont even see the job application on the website, let alone the info for the laterals... Am I just not seeing it or does anyone have the direct link?

BMW1984
01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree 100% with laterals/certified. Lots of laid off cops right now!!

DrTaco
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Oak Lawn is made up of about 60,000 residents. The general borders are Harlem, 87th, Pulaski and 111th. Oak Lawn PD is made up of a little over 100 cops (with a higher authorized strength number), with them being broken down into: Two K-9s, an Evidence Tech on every shift, detective division, Tactical Team and Gang Unit. Oak Lawn has an in-house, and fully staffed, lock up facility and lots of good equipment in the cars.

They currently work 8 hour shifts, 6 days on and 3 days off. First watch is 11pm-7am; second watch is 7am-3pm; and 3rd shift is 3pm-11pm (with early and late cars used to fill any gaps). Plan on taking your POWER test at the Oak Lawn Pavilion (on Oak Park Ave) and using free weights for the bench.

The probation period is currently 18mos, but there is a chance it could go upto 24mos soon.

Good luck to everyone who turns in an app.

Mark

goodfella
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
A little help please....when I'm on Oak Lawn's website where is the information on applications and lateral etc.

19USC
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
No info on their lateral policy on the website. Anyone know if the 35yo age limit applies to lateral / certified too?

RDM1Y
01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
No info on their lateral policy on the website. Anyone know if the 35yo age limit applies to lateral / certified too?

The age limit does not apply to certified officers per ILCS 65 5/10-1.2-6 (D)

downlifer
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, some admin came in here and cleaned out a lot of posts.

Just picked the app up today. They are just handing out the apps, and the payment is made AT the written test. That on its own is going to take FOREVER. Who thought of that one . . . All the information on laterals and what not, are including in the application packet.

can you say what it says in the packet about laterals?

downlifer
01-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Let me see if I can summarize it. It is two pages long . . .

Basically, if you have a State of Illinois certificate and passed the Standard Basic Law Enforcement Training Course, you will have preference over non-certified applicants

Laterals will be highlighted on the Final Eligibility list so everyone will know who they are basically. They have to comply with all procedures, qualifications and standards during the original application process like everyone else. No more then 50% of the candidates can be appointed with preference in regards to laterals. The Fire/Police board can reject processing for a lateral for any reason. Lateral transfer candidates MUST be currently employed as a Police Officer. They have to have had AT LEAST 3 years of service to be a lateral. They have to have completed Basic Police Operations Training. Laterals if they get on will start at 65K. During appointment, the lateral with the highest score during the process will have greater seniority.

That's it in a nutshell basically. Like I said, it is two pages long. Other then that, laterals still have to take the written, POWER, oral, still turn in the same application and what not. Their process works the same as anyone elses.

thanks

1Marine
01-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Oak Lawn has hired off of all of their recent lists. Anyone who does not apply with them is crazy. It doesn't matter if you are certified or not. Don't let the naysayers discourage you, just apply.

1Marine
02-01-2011, 08:21 AM
They are always hiring because a lot of people leave for other opportunities. I have heard a lot of political problems there as well as issues with upper management and certain policy's that people don't agree with. Then again, the way I see it, no job will be 100% problem free.

Uh, no they are always hiring because it is a big department and people are retiring. The Village Board likes the PD and has been actively building the force. Oak Lawn is not in any way a starter department, it is a destination with many oppurtunities.

As was said before anyone would be crazy not to test with Oak Lawn. However, if anyone wants to lower the amount of candidates by not applying I am sure those who do will not take offense.

jeffIL
02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Uh, no they are always hiring because it is a big department and people are retiring. The Village Board likes the PD and has been actively building the force. Oak Lawn is not in any way a starter department, it is a destination with many oppurtunities.

As was said before anyone would be crazy not to test with Oak Lawn. However, if anyone wants to lower the amount of candidates by not applying I am sure those who do will not take offense.

Someone has been drinking the Oak Lawn kool aid!

1Marine
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Someone has been drinking the Oak Lawn kool aid!

Haha, I just read my post again and I have to agree with you, sorry about that. Anyway, there is a good and bad anywhere you go but given the fact they hire consistently, the opportunities they have and the great pay scale I just think it a must for anyone who is applying and lives in the southwest/western suburbs.

ChiTownDet
02-02-2011, 02:48 AM
I Gage a PD by how many older guys are there (15, 20, 25 years ) and people that retire from that PD. Some of the south burbs have nobody that stays long enough to retire , they are "starter" or "Last chance" PD's. Most guys that are hired by OL stay there. They usually don't hop from there to another PD, with the exception of if they want to go FED (ATF, DEA, FBI, SS, etc.). They have a large population, so you will keep active just by virtue of that, their close proximity to Chicago, and their large retail strips. You won't be driving down the 2 main streets for 4 blocks in each direction all night. You can also eat in town , things other than Popeye's or McD. They also, because they are larger, have multiple assignments there (FTO, Det., K9, ET, Traffic, Patrol, Tac, School Resource), more supervisory spots, which means more chances for promotion.

Brejcha
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Maybe I can take a leave without pay to test.........SINCE THE TEST IS ON A FREAKING WEDNESDAY! Seriously OL whats up with that.

Brejcha
02-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I've had oral interviews on bizarre days, but not tests, lol. I thought it was only County that was inconsiderate, lol. Apparently it is an Oak Lawn thing. Even their dispatcher test is on a Wednesday too.

There has got to be a reason it's on a Wed. If it was at night time it would not be so bad. Must follow up on this. Missed OL the last time they tested. Would be real cool to work in the town that I grew up in all my life.

MOPE THOMPER
03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Any one here anything from Oaklawn yet? App packet said they would mail testing informaion out but I haven't got anything yet

MOPE THOMPER
04-09-2011, 10:08 AM
FYI, I called the department and asked the lady on the phone what time the test was on the 20th and she said..."what test?" I told her about the entry level testing on the 20th and she trasfered me to human resources. Once that lady got on the phone, I asked her the same question. She responded.."I wasn't aware of any testing sir, but I'll try and find out for you". Haven't heard back yet. Yikes.

ssdjs21
04-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Just wow . . . They better get their 5h1t together. Test is in two weeks.

letter came in the mail today from oak lawn. theyre having the test at 230 pm on the 20th @ the hilton. @2:30pm??
then physical on may 18th

DrTaco
04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Good luck to all of you testing for O.L. We just hired 3 off of the old list and they are beginning the academy tomorrow. Hang in there, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel!

Inferno93
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know what written test that Oak Lawn uses? I have heard POST and I have heard COPS. Anyone know for sure?

xnd1029
04-19-2011, 03:42 PM
The last time I tested at Oak Lawn they used Resource Management. Test gets rid of a large amount of people.

xnd1029
04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
I took Oak Lawns 4 years ago and another buddy of mine took it 2 years ago and told me it was Resource Management again. Oak Lawn usually has about 500 people at least at their tests. For this reason they have been holding their written at the Hilton Hotel in Oak Lawn. More than half the people usually fail this test and therefore only those with better English and test taking skills proceed in this process. Good luck with process. Oak Lawn is great community and has a great PD.

MOPE THOMPER
04-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone else think that test was hard? I feel dumb after taking it. 65% of 1.5 million?? Really???

goodfella
04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Anyone else think that test was hard? I feel dumb after taking it. 65% of 1.5 million?? Really???

lol, is that one of the questions they asked?

Criminalgrrl
04-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Yea, that test made my head hurt. I swear there was one map reading/crime diagram questions where none of the 4 choices were correct. Then when I went to leave I saw someone had struck my car in the parking lot while I was inside taking the test...no note left, nada. Thanks *********.

FlyChicaga
04-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Not trying to be a dick here, but rather just trying to help. Don't let these tests mess with your head so much. Just relax and think about the question. 65% of 1.5 million? Well 1.5 million is 1,500,000.

________

Then just move two decimal places, and you have 975,000.

The first time I took a written test with math questions, I freaked out. I hadn't done long division, multiplying decimals, or any of that stuff in a long time. Knowing that was my weakness, I went to a website called Math Is Fun (yeah, seriously), and re-learned long division, percentages, etc. It had been YEARS since I did most of that stuff, and since I didn't use it much at work, I lost a lot of it. The next test, I did much better.

Like I said, try not to let the questions intimidate you. Sometimes the answer is less complicated than you may believe.

NEC1234
04-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I remember taking the same CPS administered test two years ago and feeling the same way as all of you. What was unbelievable for me was watching how a select few were finishing the test in 45 minutes. It didn't even seem possible.

I've taken many tests since then, and none have been anywhere near as difficult. As someone put it before, it's effective at questioning your intelligence and leaving you uncertain of whether or not you passed.

DrTaco
04-21-2011, 09:59 AM
The O.L. tests do what they are designed to do...cut down the applicant pool. Last time we tested 600ish ppl took the test and only 110 passed it. In fact, most of the top 10 scores were in the 80's. So, your final score on this test may seem "lower" than you're used to, but may be heads and shoulders above all the other people who took it (and who FAILED it). Hang in there for a little bit and wait for your results. Good luck!

Inferno93
04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I thought the test was easy in blue island and finished in about 45 minutes but got a score in the mid 80's. The test for O.L. was different and I finished it in about 55 minutes. Map reading is something I am real good at along with memory. I always think I received a score in the top 90's but on resource tests I only manage mid to high eighties. I personally like the COPS test better. JMO though.

paul190
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I actually liked that test better than the current cops test.....more applicable to actual things on the job. Already being a cop I think def helped for those who are.

JG0304
05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Took the test their a few years back and scored a 72. Wasn't happy with my score so I didn't continue. Took the same test over a year ago for Cicero and scored an 89. Crazy how that works. But Cicero should be coming out with another test in a few months being their list expires in November. Took the written in August and got hired in March. No clout, no nothing. If you want to work for Oak Lawn, you should try Cicero. It's very busy just like a district of Chicago. And they are hiring like crazy. Hired 12 in last year.

ochave000
05-04-2011, 08:45 PM
See i bet a lot of people dnt apply to cicero its 50 bux and i believe last time they didnt heavily advertise

kotcho
05-05-2011, 02:13 AM
I will see everyone at the physical!

JG0304
05-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I didn't continue the test cause I wasn't happy with my score and I wasn't really set on working for Oak Lawn.

The last time Cicero tested they had a pretty big show up. I would say about 600. They took the top 100 for the eligibility list.

Cicero actually posted there test on the blue line. I was surprised cause I had never seen any of their previous tests on the site. The other tests were always a little on the hush hush.

paul190
05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Test scores are given via e-mail?

kotcho
05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
ill be there, good luck!

Inferno93
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I will be there at 11:15 group

kotcho
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I took the power test at 8:45, the officers administering it were very cool. We were told that they hope to put 2 through the academy in July, thats one more than I thought. Good Luck to everyone!

kotcho
05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I have an interview on tuesday, there should be about 50 other people in the same boat

DrTaco
05-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Good luck on the interviews! You're going to be interviewed by some really great guys, make sure you do some prep work so you can blow them away.

kotcho
05-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I am not military, and I completely agree with you about the non passing scores.

I am still testing with every department I can, as I am sure you are, Good Luck, in this economy we all need it!

Challenger_SRT-8
04-20-2013, 09:32 PM
The O.L. tests do what they are designed to do...cut down the applicant pool. Last time we tested 600ish ppl took the test and only 110 passed it. In fact, most of the top 10 scores were in the 80's. So, your final score on this test may seem "lower" than you're used to, but may be heads and shoulders above all the other people who took it (and who FAILED it). Hang in there for a little bit and wait for your results. Good luck!
I assume it's going to be another 5-600 people if its being held at the Hilton. Did they just interview the top 50 last time? Any word on hiring?

ChiTownDet
04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
About 1000 apps went out. About 480 completed apps came back.

Raiden341
04-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I assume it's going to be another 5-600 people if its being held at the Hilton. Did they just interview the top 50 last time? Any word on hiring?

Written at the Hilton, physical at the Pavilion. Usually Oak Lawn hires a nice amount off their lists. It is the same, top 50 go into group A. The test is a DIFFICULT test and I've never seen that test used at another department before.

My only issue, is that from their e-mail, is that they are pulling the same BS with preference again. Only Military get preference (home rule, and I have no problem with this), but the vets get what they call "assumed" military points for the INITIAL list. So they get a 5 point boost to make it onto the initial list to get interviews, and AFTER the Commission interviews the top 50, the vets can then accept/deny using their points for the Final list. You can only use your points once in Oak Lawn. Either once for the list, or after you already get on, you can use it for promotions.

My problem, is that what if people who automatically get the "assumed" points, get on ahead of say me or some other qualified person, and afterward they don't want to use those points? That means myself or someone else SHOULD have had that interview spot because that person didn't want to use their points in the first place. I've never seen a town give someone "assumed" points and push people ahead like that. Kinda BS.

Challenger_SRT-8
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Written at the Hilton, physical at the Pavilion. Usually Oak Lawn hires a nice amount off their lists. It is the same, top 50 go into group A. The test is a DIFFICULT test and I've never seen that test used at another department before.

My only issue, is that from their e-mail, is that they are pulling the same BS with preference again. Only Military get preference (home rule, and I have no problem with this), but the vets get what they call "assumed" military points for the INITIAL list. So they get a 5 point boost to make it onto the initial list to get interviews, and AFTER the Commission interviews the top 50, the vets can then accept/deny using their points for the Final list. You can only use your points once in Oak Lawn. Either once for the list, or after you already get on, you can use it for promotions.

My problem, is that what if people who automatically get the "assumed" points, get on ahead of say me or some other qualified person, and afterward they don't want to use those points? That means myself or someone else SHOULD have had that interview spot because that person didn't want to use their points in the first place. I've never seen a town give someone "assumed" points and push people ahead like that. Kinda BS.
Hmmm, never seen this before. Well all I can do is score high as I possibly can to make it in that top 50. So what testing company is this you're talking about?

Raiden341
04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
They use a specific exam from CPS. It's the same company that administers the CPD exam, but it is a whole different exam.

Challenger_SRT-8
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok, so this isn't the one with memory first?

Raiden341
04-21-2013, 10:20 PM
No, you're thinking Resource Management. There is a memory section with this particular exam, but it is much different than Resource's version.

Challenger_SRT-8
04-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Yea that's what I was thinking of. It was like a red book with 100 questions, but there wasnt math from what I remember. I could have sworn it said CPS on it. So I don't think I've taken this one before.

Challenger_SRT-8
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
About 1000 apps went out. About 480 completed apps came back.
Wow, this was word for word today. But 4-8 being hired this time around. I'm a lil ****ed at myself for nodding off a lil. Had to play the catch up/guessing game at the end, so don't know if I made the minimum....but to whoever went, good opportunity

GlockGuy24
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I was in the first group today. They had a large amount of people, then had a second group this afternoon. Test was changed around a little bit different then last time.

Raiden341
05-02-2013, 07:03 PM
I couldn't make it. Because Oak Lawn does their tests at awkward times for a test, I couldn't be there.

They go through their lists though. They hire pretty frequently I'd say. If you made the A group (top 50), you'll have a good chance at getting contacted eventually. Good luck guys. It's a great department and they are pretty active too. One of the suburbs I'd definitely wouldn't mind being a part of.

DrTaco
05-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Good luck to all that tested. Oak Lawn has hired about 10 in the last 3 years, with one lost to field training. As mentioned already, we will be hiring again off this list. If anyone has any intelligent/specific questions feel free to ask. As always, don't fail the physical for something you will regret the day after, and come prepared to the oral with some knowledge of the area.