PDA

View Full Version : Do cops have contracts?

mopar9012
01-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Title says it all. My mom is a teacher and she has contracts with the school systems, some people told me they think police officers are the same. Is this the case?

mac266
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Not in Colorado. I can't speak for everywhere else.

DAL
01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Police officers usually have union contracts. Police chiefs usually have individual contracts.

ummone
01-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes we do.

SSD
01-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Title says it all. My mom is a teacher and she has contracts with the school systems, some people told me they think police officers are the same. Is this the case?

Do you mean like contracted labor? As in, a private company contracted to do police work for a Police dept? Or union-type contracts about working conditions etc.. The latter yes, the former I highly doubt. Infact I would be highly opposed to that.

CruiserClass
01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
We have a union contract with the city, very similar to the teacher's union contract. Not all departments will have a union and/or contract, though.

BigDog4907
01-14-2011, 08:39 AM
^^^^ Union contract, very similar to teacher's union contract, minus getting the summer off!!!! :) :)

PhilipCal
01-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Many Police agencies have contracts (labor agreements) with their employing entities. I reside in a part of the nation where police labor contracts are very rare. That is simply a statement of fact as things exist in the South, not a slam at agencies/officers with contract agreements.

just joe
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
It depends on what you mean by "contract." A labor/union contract or a we-don't-automatically-have-to-rehire-you-at-the-end-of-your-contract contract?

op_06
01-14-2011, 09:19 AM
No contract at my depatment Texas.

Dingo990
01-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Not common in my state.

Smurfette_76
01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
The only contract that I've seen is when my agency paid for Officers to attend the academy and paid them during their enrollment. They were required to do 3 (I think) years before leaving the agency or they had to repay the cost of training them. One of those rookies challenged it when he wanted to leave and an attorney said the contract wasn't legal (someone about the terms or wording). The PD didn't go after him for the monies.

We don't have unions in NC.

op_06
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
The only contract that I've seen is when my agency paid for Officers to attend the academy and paid them during their enrollment. They were required to do 3 (I think) years before leaving the agency or they had to repay the cost of training them. One of those rookies challenged it when he wanted to leave and an attorney said the contract wasn't legal (someone about the terms or wording). The PD didn't go after him for the monies.

I forgot about that. I know it's pretty common for SO's around here to do that. If they send a current jailer to the academy for a peace officer certificate, some SO's require them to sign a contract stating that they won't use their newly acquired certificate to jump ship. I think a lot of smaller SO's do this. I believe it's due to the lack of patrol openings when they return from the academy. Most return to the jail until a spot on patrol opens up.

SgtScott31
01-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Five-year contract you have to sign to be employed with us. Anything above rank of LT requires an annual contract. That's normally what you get when you work for an Airport Authority and answer to CEOs/COOs as a department head. Once I'm out of the 5-yr gap, then no contract exists.

Iowa #1603
01-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Most teachers sign employment contracts.......................to work a set number of days for a set number of $$$$$$ They might also have union contracts that apply but they actually sign personal employment contracts.

Police officers do not at least in my knowledge. As Smurf stated ---many times they sign contracts that allow them to be sent to the academy and promise to work for the department for a set timeframe or they will have to pay back the cost of that training. That still does not amount to a personal service contract.

417Lt
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Our new employees have something like a contract, in addition to the Bargaining Unit (union) contract. When they accept a position to be hired (geographic location) they agree to stay in that position for 3 years before they have full transfer rights.
I would guess there could be other agreements that would be like contracts. Not every detail of every job assignment or duty statement is addressed in union contracts.

stormz5192
01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
NJ is a very union state, but the only contracts are the above mentioned labor contracts. Unless you refer to the Chief, then that is an individual contract.

e-man
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, in PA we have an act of legislation that allows us to go to arbitration if we cant agree to terms on contract with the department and in lieu we cant strike or be fired at will.
COntracts generally run 2-3 years and guide basically everything from salaries, vacation, seniority, hours, off duty work etc.

e-man
01-14-2011, 09:54 PM

At Will state? Can they fire an employee without cause?

BigDog4907
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM

Your joking right? New sheriff gets elected and you can be out for no other reason than he was elected. This was covered pretty heavily on the fitness test post and I don't think my pro union stance was real popular, especially with those in the southern states. I would bet, after working in a union dept, that would change. :) They seem to like what they have and I guess it works for them.

chicken89
01-15-2011, 08:24 AM
we have a 4 year contract... but few stay that long.
one of my friends left 3 weeks after academy for different dept.
another friend turned in equipment couple months after academy... without another job lined up
we hire about 10 every 6 months, most are gone within a year to any dept that hires, others wait for certain depts to hire then leave.
we did the route of hiring former officers that already went thru academy. think last time was 8 officers. 2 left before week 5 of FTO, couple left for jobs outside LE.
those that stay seem to have rank, or too old to transfer to other dept.
so to answer original question- we have a contract, but i have never heard of it being enforced... or even threatened to be enforced.

Smurfette_76
01-15-2011, 11:14 AM

SO, yes...PD, no.

PhilipCal
01-15-2011, 04:23 PM

At agencies which have Merit System (Civil Service),No. Non Civil Service agencies, Yes.

JEFSLP
01-15-2011, 09:20 PM
I was a cop in NY and covered under a labor contract. I am now a speech-language pathologist covered under a teacher's labor contract. I was not able to find a PD that gave summers off, as well as a week off at Christmas. I never got a snow day off while I was a cop. Also, teachers in my part of the state make much more than cops, but need to do 30 years to retire (cops only need 20). Both jobs have different pros and cons. At least most people like teachers. Our beloved governor is trying to f***ing destroy both of our abilities to negotiate a contract and change our retirement.

JB2245
01-15-2011, 11:04 PM

Sure do... Here's one of my deparment's old contracts. The current contract is almost exactly the same, but the pay is better now.

http://www.detroitpoa.com/resources/DPOA_Contract.pdf

MJhopeful-LEO
01-16-2011, 02:30 PM
GA right to work state.

ateamer
01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Practically every agency in California has a collective bargaining agreement and their officers are represented by unions.

Sgt Jack
01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Both my full and part time police jobs are covered under collective bargaining...very common here in Mass

Nightshift va
01-19-2011, 05:03 PM
City I worked for in the beginning did have a three years contract though it was not an issue because I stayed almost a full eight years there before I wen't to Mayberry.