PDA

View Full Version : Should I carry a taser gun on post? Security 3rd shift

msoler29
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Is it illegal for a un armed security guard to carry a taser gun while on duty?.

Iowa #1603
10-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Depends on the laws of your state.....................................

AND the policies of the company you work for.

PhilipCal
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Depends on the laws of your state.....................................

AND the policies of the company you work for.

X-2. Let me throw an additional thought out to you. Let's say you arm yourself with a Taser. Are you certified in it's use? If you use it, will your security company cover you? Will the client who's property you're protecting back you? I can pretty well tell you the answer to the last two questions is "No". If you're assigned to an unarmed post, I suggest that's what you be.

SRT936
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Is it illegal for a un armed security guard to carry a taser gun while on duty?.

Sounds like a good way to get fired.

In Wisconsin, its also a good way to go to jail.

CO1259
10-07-2010, 06:01 PM

You are an unarmed security guard. What is the meaning of the word "unarmed"? There's your answer.

OCEnforcer29
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Mainly going to depend on the policies of the company you work for. If you're carrying a civilian model taser, there's no violation in California. It's just going to depend on your policies.

MetalBeldo
10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Use pepper spray

msoler29
10-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I know a couple security officer's who carry a taser gun with no problem. Sometimes, the area is really bad and high with crime activity being un-armed you get picked on, or into verbal arguments just cause you're security and are trying to look out for the people on the post keeping an eye out for abnormal activity. My post has been getting really bad tons of activity and i'm not sure if my state allows me to carry a Taser gun, I live in the state of Florida I think i'm going to go with the pepper spray and work on getting my gun license really soon to carry on allowed post armed.

Sounds like a good way to get fired.

In Wisconsin, its also a good way to go to jail.

msoler29
10-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I think that's the way i'm going to go next pepper spray seems good to have especially if things get out of hand god forbid..
Thanks for the tip:)

Use pepper spray

jeeves44
10-08-2010, 01:53 AM
I would be very careful in this decision. If your employer will certify you in it and has a policy in it's use, you'd be fine. If they don't have a policy for use, you could be in a world of hurt if someone you tase gets injured. You could, of course, use one in complete self defense without much issue, but if you tase someone, they fall over and crack their head open, you can bet they'll be coming after you. If there isn't any policy in place, your employer will let you hang. There is a pretty good potential for injury with taser use.

SgtScott31
10-08-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm not a Florida LEO, but it looks like under FL statute 790.01, one can lawfully carry it for self-defense purposes. The main question is, as others have pointed out, does your employer allow it? If the answer is "no," then don't waste your money. If you get injured or injure someone during deployment of a taser and you were not authorized (or more importantly trained) by your security company to use one, it's your a**.

PhilipCal
10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I know a couple security officer's who carry a taser gun with no problem. Sometimes, the area is really bad and high with crime activity being un-armed you get picked on, or into verbal arguments just cause you're security and are trying to look out for the people on the post keeping an eye out for abnormal activity. My post has been getting really bad tons of activity and i'm not sure if my state allows me to carry a Taser gun, I live in the state of Florida I think i'm going to go with the pepper spray and work on getting my gun license really soon to carry on allowed post armed.

Let's see how this sounds. "Observe and report". The motto of successful security guards everywhere. At the beginning of this thread you asked our collective opinion on whether or not you should carry a Taser. You have received some excellent replies, yet you don't seem satisfied with them. Let's do this one more time. Even if state law allows you to carry a Taser, company policy and client policy could very well prohibit it. In that case you would not be indemnified or protected if you used the weapon. This would be true even if the use was justified. You need to be fully familiar with your firm's policy with regard to any weapon(s) including firearms. You can be certain that you'll be thrown under the bus, be toast, be history, should you violate those policies.. Don't base your stance on carrying any weapon on what other guards do. They're not going to be there for you when your job goes south. It's really pretty simple. Do what your firm authorizes you to do. Nothing more.

CruiserClass
10-08-2010, 06:22 PM
An actual Taser requires a handgun permit in Indiana, but a regular stun gun wouldn't.

dontcallmeradio
10-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Deleted , you wouldnt wanna know anyway :)

Iowa #1603
10-08-2010, 06:48 PM
An actual Taser requires a handgun permit in Indiana, but a regular stun gun wouldn't.

Both do in Iowa..............

But company policy will still rule even if he had one.

fahrenheit
10-09-2010, 05:01 PM

The part in bold is what really worries me here. As someone who started out in unarmed security and worked his way up to local law enforcement, I can tell you that (as someone else here said) your job is to "observe and report." That's it. Don't get into arguments with people. Don't confront people. A cell phone or radio should be your primary weapon. And don't get "short man syndrome" if someone picks on you for being unarmed security. There's no shame in your job and you should be adult enough to let it roll off your back. Simply put, avoiding a fight is a much better strategy for you than arming yourself in a way that could leave you out to dry in a civil lawsuit if someone gets hurt. Stay within company policy and if you don't feel safe, talk to your supervisors about it.