PDA

View Full Version : Warrants

JTShooter
10-01-2010, 05:45 PM
The arrest on traffic thread got me thinking about this...

how many of you NEED to arrest for EVERY warrant you come across on patrol?

LA DEP
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Only on certain warrants here.....on misd warrants, it is a complete and utter waste of time unless they are over a certain amount (which has a comma, and at least 4 zeros in it), as they will be immediately cited right back out into the street.....you can cite them out in the field and give them yet another warrant application.

creolecop
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Felony warrants, we have to take in, 75% of misdemeanors are up to us.

PhilipCal
10-01-2010, 06:49 PM
OK,JT.Not surprised you posted the poll. Glad you did, and I believe it's pretty indicative of what we've been saying.

Gringe
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a pro-arrest Sheriff. They all go.

Iowa #1603
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
In Iowa the warrants state clearly

SHALL ARREST.
Does that get fudged once in a while -----yes

However many misdemeanor warrants are entered they will only pick up x miles away or ajoining counties............
if you are outside those boundries, you won't get arrested.

Dingo990
10-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Missouri has a law requiring to arrest on warrants.

I'm not sure if Kansas has a law or not. But everyone plays a lot nicer than missouri when it comes to picking up their trash.

Kansas on misdemeanor warrants, if you want your guy we are going to be roadside, so you better be quick. We might be nice to agencies further away and transport to our station for pickup, but I'm not holding them all day for you. Typically I give an agency 30 minutes before I start getting on phone and hollering at their dispatch. Maybe a bit longer if it is a big dollar warrant and we have a good working relationship. Also, I'm not delievering your warrants to the county jail 30 minutes away. Luckily, we have a local computer system, so on traffic stuff we only see local warrants.

Felonies we usually just straight drop them to the county.

In Missouri it is a bit more of a pain in the ***. There are two big agencies in the area that want their warrants but will almost absolutely refuse to dispatch a district car and forget any notion of roadside pickup. So you are left at the mercy of their wagon. I have been in yelling matches with Sergeants of certain agencies when it's going on hour two of me holding a prisoner on their BS traffic warrant and they haven't even dispatched a wagon yet. Of course both agencies will always offer you the option and hand delievering to their station... nice of em'

Traditionalist
10-02-2010, 04:23 AM
In Mass it is a shall arrest for warrants but that being said I can't think of anyone whose gotten jammed up for giving someone a pass and strongly encouraging them to turn themselves in

chiefcop
10-02-2010, 06:04 AM
In Iowa the warrants state clearly

SHALL ARREST.
Does that get fudged once in a while -----yes

However many misdemeanor warrants are entered they will only pick up x miles away or ajoining counties............
if you are outside those boundries, you won't get arrested.
I recall as well in AK and WY as well as other states, the warrant specifically stated "shall" arrest , take the body of XXXXX in front of the judge........
So it is a court order that appears to have a statement of clear intent.

Realistically, as in the pac NW I am aware of so many warrants, so little space to house the defendants. It would be unrealistic to think every warrant would be picked up. However, again as each geographical region has different dynamics, I can see a policy of each warrant goes to jail policy.

I recall arresting on a Failure to Appear Warrant for orig charge of no rear view mirrors, the fail to appear got my attention then the history was very long.

CO1259
10-02-2010, 06:52 AM
NY has SHALL ARREST on the warrant. Doesn't give me any choice.

mookster
10-02-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm supposed to arrest for every warrant come across but my supervisors realize that peoples lives will interfere with that plan more often than not. For misdemeanors, we're given some lee-way, providing we consult with a supervisor or have a really good reason not to arrest f we don't consult a boss. Felony warrants go straight to jail and don't get $200.

brad601
10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Small City, not a holding facility. 99% of time arrest on in house and in county warrants. 100% Anything Class B misdemeanor and above. 10% of time I will arrest on out of county warrants if the dirt bag really twists me off. Ive made some road trips to deliver to a few agencys. Of course no one ever tips the pizza guy.

txleo-3
10-02-2010, 12:22 PM
If they are from my agency, they normally go. Any Class B and higher, they go. Other agency's class C's, it depends. Discretion is a good thing to have

crass cop
10-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I hook all felony warrants....if I DONT hook for misd warrants, then there better be a good reason...IE: single mom with her 3 kids in her POS car on her way to job #2, you give me some sort of good Intel, it's 10 minutes to quittin time, etc, etc

Dinosaur32
10-02-2010, 05:22 PM
A number of years ago here in Suffolk County, the PD was not arresting for warrants on traffic violations. Chief Judge of the county let them know that they had no discretion. Once a warrant is issued arrest had to be made.

Smurfette_76
10-02-2010, 05:48 PM
With my agency you better have a fairly good reason why you didn't hook someone up once you were notified of the warrant(s). Ours also say shall arrest...

Redders
10-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Same here, shall arrest no if's or buts about it, the only time I would have discretion to not arrest is if a hot call rolled in on us in the middle of it. Shots, officer down, and so forth.

YURA9ER
10-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a pro-arrest Sheriff. They all go.

Yea im the same way. If you have a warrant then you have to go

JSD73
10-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Can't believe some of you have absolutely no discretion on whether to confirm a warrant or not.

JTShooter
10-03-2010, 05:30 AM
It won't let me edit the poll... but let me see if I can clarify a little...

Here, we run someone and get a warrant hit. Then it's up to us to "confirm" the warrant or not. Once it's confirmed, it means the person is going with us.

My poll was supposed to reflect just the hit, not the actual "confirmation" of the warrant...

Redders
10-03-2010, 07:29 AM
It won't let me edit the poll... but let me see if I can clarify a little...

Here, we run someone and get a warrant hit. Then it's up to us to "confirm" the warrant or not. Once it's confirmed, it means the person is going with us.

My poll was supposed to reflect just the hit, not the actual "confirmation" of the warrant...

If we receive a hit we must confirm by policy.

SRT936
10-03-2010, 07:37 AM
With my agency you better have a fairly good reason why you didn't hook someone up once you were notified of the warrant(s). Ours also say shall arrest...

That's pretty much where we stand. 99% of warrants end up going to jail. Our warrants say "shall arrest" but there are "approved" conditions under which they don't have to go.

mikeymedic
10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
We must confirm and arrest for all warrants. Obviously if they are out of state and non-extraditable then no.

Broke Hoss
10-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Run someone & get a hit; there's nothing saying I have to follow up to confirm it. But generally I aint running them unless I'm willing to take em anyways.

But yes, I've delayed arrest on even a confirmed traffic or misdemeanor warrant if it was better for a situation. I've bought a lot of info with the knowledge of traffic warrants. Or tipped a detective on the location of a suspect/witness that was wanted and he served the warrant. That way the suspect has to go with the detective and gives the detective a chance at an interview.

Felony warrant will get you a ride everytime.

mac266
10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Colorado law says LEs "shall arrest" for every warrant. It does not say "may;" it says "shall." Therefore, we arrest them all, no matter how piddly.

katseiye
10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
If they are from my agency, they normally go. Any Class B and higher, they go. Other agency's class C's, it depends. Discretion is a good thing to have

+1

A single from another agency usually gets a warning to take care of business before I see you again. A warrant hit is no good w/out the confirmation here, but if you call the O/A and it's confirmed they will be going.

juicesnn4e2
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
In Mass it is a shall arrest for warrants but that being said I can't think of anyone whose gotten jammed up for giving someone a pass and strongly encouraging them to turn themselves in

I just posted a thread on the other page about someone who did down here. You should read it.

juicesnn4e2
10-04-2010, 05:51 PM

So if this is your policy, why are you giving me such a hard time on the other page?

juicesnn4e2
10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
We must confirm and arrest for all warrants. Obviously if they are out of state and non-extraditable then no.

That's what I have been saying, but they have been all over my case. Here if you run them, and they come back wanted, we HAVE to confirm them.

Redders
10-05-2010, 08:03 AM
That's what I have been saying, but they have been all over my case. Here if you run them, and they come back wanted, we HAVE to confirm them.

Fair enough, but you have to understand that policy and procedure differ from region to region and department to department. Just because you do it one way doesn't mean we all do it that way, it's the nature of the business. Mikey and I both work for smaller departments so really, more than likely we don't have 25 calls for service holding, 17 of which are violent so yes by policy we confirm and jail. Frankly, BS misd warrant for FTA on traffic VS shots fired/robbery in progress/agg assault I'm going to the violence call.

Monkeybomb
10-05-2010, 08:35 AM
The warrant has to be confirmed. Once it is confirmed and there is an extradition we have no choice. The majority of our in State warrants once the hit is there it is already confirmed and we have no choice.

Smurfette_76
10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
So if this is your policy, why are you giving me such a hard time on the other page?

Did you read the first part. "Good reason why" is not hard to articulate. Are you going to let a murder warrant go? No. Can you let some BS misd warrant go when you know you possess the ability to make the arrest at a later date and make a secondary case.

Next, youre saying you "must." Tell me this...if you're doing a traffic stop and the driver has a warrant, are you going to continue to hook him up if the tones go out and a fellow Officer needs assistance? Everything in this job can change in a flash and the concepts of "always" and "shall" can be fluid.

Seventy2002
10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
We have about 200 jail beds for a population of about 72,000. The community is unwilling, or unable, to pay for more. Most warrants go unserved.

Landric
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I always find it interesting how this procedures differ in different states. In North Carolina we must arrest on warrants (with the usual "really good reason" not to exception as Smurfette pointed out). North Carolina doesn't have municipal warrants, all of ours are county level, and as of the last year or so, they are all entered into an electronic statewide database called NCAWARE. If someone has a warrant in the database from a county 400 miles away I can print it out and serve it in my county. They are held at our jail until they either make bond or are picked up by the county where the warrant is from. We don't call and ask the county where the warrant is from if they are willing to come pick the person up, its assumed.

I don't have any sympathy for someone with a FTA, I don't care what its for. On the other hand, we get a lot of BS citizen obtained warrants. I'm much more likely to try and find a reason not to serve one of those than I am a FTA.

JTShooter
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
That's another thing to consider. Besides the standard Fed/State warrants, we have county and municipal warrants. County warrants are usually for anything out of the penal code. Municipal warrants are for traffic or city ordinance violations. It is, however, not uncommon for city warrants to turn into county warrants after a period of time.

Iowa #1603
10-05-2010, 10:58 AM
The warrant has to be confirmed. Once it is confirmed and there is an extradition we have no choice. The majority of our in State warrants once the hit is there it is already confirmed and we have no choice.

In Iowa many misdemeanor warrants have a "will only extradite" statement on them. The county sheriff of origin decides how far they will travel to pick up the arrestee and places that informaiton on the warrant when entering it into NCIC and the IOWA system. If you are outside the pick up area..............it is kinda stupid to make the arrest (unless the person has cash bond money on them) and not be able to get them out of your jail on an out of county warrant.

The situations like Redders is talking about where a hot call comes in while you are dealing with a "small" warrant are different. That is called common sense.

Redders
10-05-2010, 11:29 AM
In Iowa many misdemeanor warrants have a "will only extradite" statement on them. The county sheriff of origin decides how far they will travel to pick up the arrestee and places that informaiton on the warrant when entering it into NCIC and the IOWA system. If you are outside the pick up area..............it is kinda stupid to make the arrest (unless the person has cash bond money on them) and not be able to get them out of your jail on an out of county warrant.

In Nebraska Douglas County (Omaha) and Lancaster County (Lincoln) have local warrants that they don't enter into NCIC, but should. Thank god for CJIS on the MDT's. County's don't have the same option here, if some one gets hooked on the west side of the state and the warrant is from the east side, and no bond is possible they have to be picked up.