PDA

View Full Version : Harley Davidson Road King Show Bike

phillyrube
08-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Well, it’s time. After my 13 year affair with this showstopper, it’s time to trade up. My bride, who has been riding since 1980, just had back surgery and does not feel comfortable wheeling her own ride about. So we’re going to sell her bike, and this Road King, and get a Road Glide.

I have owned this bike since new, 1997. All scheduled maintenance has been done by the dealer until the free maintenance ran out, and then by me. I have run synthetics since new: first Harley Syn3, then Amsoil.

Chrome? It has it, lots of it. Lately I have been swapping chrome pieces that are starting to flake.

The paint is custom, designed by me and Mike Boyce of Bikes by Boyce in Moyock, NC. It is House of Kolor with lots of clear coat on top. Rub your fingers across the artwork and you won’t feel a thing. It always brings lookers and compliments. The design shows some flames sprouting from the “pieces” seen flying off. The design uses House of Kolor chameleon paint. Oh yea, we’ll throw in 2 helmets painted to match. Both are HJCs with detachable cold weather curtains. We always wear helmet liners so these are still fresh.

Engine work? Engine rebuild in 2002. Prior to that, I had added a Crane HI-4 single fire ignition and an Andrews EV27 cam. Debbie from Hampton Roads H-D did the work (she was a top racer for a while but has now found a place in the showroom). The rebuild got custom pistons and custom machined heads from Mackie Engineering. We coupled that with a Mikuni 42 carb and exhausts through Cobra 2 into 1 pipes. Forget those S&S carbs, this one will run 0 to 5000’ with no adjustments needed. Very nice throaty rumble, not obnoxious, and no backfiring when coming down from speed. At night the plant is highlighted with red accent lighting.

You get extra’s too. A shorty and stock height windscreen, extra Corbin single saddle, detachable passenger backrest and detachable luggage rack, both with locks. Saddlebags have liners, too. I also have the factory shop and parts manuals to go with it.

Below is a list of what has been added over the years. There is probably more that I can’t remember right now.

Headwork by Mackie Engineering
Mikuni 42 Carb – Pingle Fuel Valve,
Braided Throttle Cables
High Velocity Air Cleaner
Andrews EV27 Cam
Crane HI-4 Single Fire Ignition
Twin Cam Front End Upgrade
E-Z Pull Clutch with Chrome Braided Cables
Mustang Saddle with Backrest
Corbin Single Saddle
Detachable Passenger Backrest
Detachable Luggage Rack
Lay Down License Plate Holder
Carlini Risers
Cobra 2-1 Exhaust
Direct Wired Headlight
Auxiliary Power-point
Shorty and Regular Windscreens
Air Horn
Engine Accent Lighting
Saddlebag Liners
Custom Rims and Brake Rotors
Chrome Pulley
1 Large and 1 Small Shorty Helmets Painted to Match Bike
House of Kolor Paint
Chrome Everywhere

This is not only a show bike but a daily rider. It is not a garage trophy. Some of the hardware is starting to show some corrosion, and I replace that as I find it. There are a couple of dings in the paint, but nothing that is noticeable. It is our hope that you will display this bike as the art it is, and ride it every day. Additional photos available on request. Bike is located in Isle of Wight County, Virginia

$10,500.
See Photos here:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-7/34186/2138897