PDA

View Full Version : My chances of getting hired

lockNload24
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
A little background info on me is that I'm 26 years old, an EMT/volunteer fire fighter, I have a bachelor's degree, and I test and interview pretty well. Ok now the things that will hurt my chances of getting hired. I'll just list anything that could be an issue. I got an MIP for alcohol when I was 19. I used steroids when I was 21 and that has prevented me from applying anywhere in my state for the past 5 years. I was fired from a campus job while in college because "I didn't take it seriously". I had another job where I was a solid employee through high school and college for 7 years and then they fired me. They knew that about 5 months later I was going to be leaving to pursue the military so it irked me that they didn't let me leave on my own terms. This place has fired numerous other people after working there for several years and I think they kind of screw some people over in the end.

I went off to OCS for the Marine Corps and quit during the first week because I was stupid and decided I didn't like the whole structure and hurry up and wait. Being in the military or LE is the only thing I ever wanted so I tried a few different jobs when I came back and am working for my dad's business where I have also worked for about 10 years. I've never wanted a corporate job but took a position with a large company back in Jan and decided to quit after a day. I'll spare all the details for the sake of brevity. I then got hired by the state Dept of Corrections and was top in my class then quit after a month. We were at the end of training and doing OJT when I decided I didn't want to work in a prison environment. I also though that working in a tower or housing unit would be very mundane and boring and for the previous month I was hating being stuck indoors. I'm used to working outside. I was never really interested in a career in corrections but took it because I was looking for a job and was told by some people in LE that it could help me in getting on a dept.

Also, I found another forum the other day and people were telling this guy that he would have a hard time getting hired because he bought alcohol for minors. I had a college friend who bought booze for minors then got hired by a metro police dept during the same year so I don't know how big of an issue this is? I've done this as well. I mostly did this for some co-workers when I was 21 and 22 and then realized it was stupid and not worth the risk. However, I did buy for a friend the other day and told him I don't usually do this but made an exception for him at the time.

I'm thinking that all these issues, mainly the work history is going to hurt me with getting on a dept for the next few years now that I can actually apply. I think it looks bad that I quit OCS then two jobs in the past 6 months, have used steroids, was fired from a couple of jobs, and I'm not sure about the buying alcohol factor so some of you can tell me how much of an issue that will be. I've regretted quitting OCS and for the past 2 years have been exploring options on trying the military again. I'm thinking of applying to become an Army Warrant Officer and going off to fly helos for 6 years. With all of this, is it fair to say that my chances of getting hired in the next couple of years is very slim? If I go do the military for 4-6 years will I have a decent chance overcoming the issues I've mentioned? My dream has been LE and the other day I started wondering if I'll have to give up on this dream and maybe do the military, go to paramedic school, then try to get on a paid fire dept instead. I realize all of this stuff together looks pretty bad so I would appreciate honest feedback. Thanks for your time.

TheKansan
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
A little background info on me is that I'm 26 years old, an EMT/volunteer fire fighter, I have a bachelor's degree, and I test and interview pretty well. Ok now the things that will hurt my chances of getting hired. I'll just list anything that could be an issue. I got an MIP for alcohol when I was 19. I used steroids when I was 21 and that has prevented me from applying anywhere in my state for the past 5 years. I was fired from a campus job while in college because "I didn't take it seriously". I had another job where I was a solid employee through high school and college for 7 years and then they fired me. They knew that about 5 months later I was going to be leaving to pursue the military so it irked me that they didn't let me leave on my own terms. This place has fired numerous other people after working there for several years and I think they kind of screw some people over in the end.

I went off to OCS for the Marine Corps and quit during the first week because I was stupid and decided I didn't like the whole structure and hurry up and wait. Being in the military or LE is the only thing I ever wanted so I tried a few different jobs when I came back and am working for my dad's business where I have also worked for about 10 years. I've never wanted a corporate job but took a position with a large company back in Jan and decided to quit after a day. I'll spare all the details for the sake of brevity. I then got hired by the state Dept of Corrections and was top in my class then quit after a month. We were at the end of training and doing OJT when I decided I didn't want to work in a prison environment. I also though that working in a tower or housing unit would be very mundane and boring and for the previous month I was hating being stuck indoors. I'm used to working outside. I was never really interested in a career in corrections but took it because I was looking for a job and was told by some people in LE that it could help me in getting on a dept.

Also, I found another forum the other day and people were telling this guy that he would have a hard time getting hired because he bought alcohol for minors. I had a college friend who bought booze for minors then got hired by a metro police dept during the same year so I don't know how big of an issue this is? I've done this as well. I mostly did this for some co-workers when I was 21 and 22 and then realized it was stupid and not worth the risk. However, I did buy for a friend the other day and told him I don't usually do this but made an exception for him at the time.

I'm thinking that all these issues, mainly the work history is going to hurt me with getting on a dept for the next few years now that I can actually apply. I think it looks bad that I quit OCS then two jobs in the past 6 months, have used steroids, was fired from a couple of jobs, and I'm not sure about the buying alcohol factor so some of you can tell me how much of an issue that will be. I've regretted quitting OCS and for the past 2 years have been exploring options on trying the military again. I'm thinking of applying to become an Army Warrant Officer and going off to fly helos for 6 years. With all of this, is it fair to say that my chances of getting hired in the next couple of years is very slim? If I go do the military for 4-6 years will I have a decent chance overcoming the issues I've mentioned? My dream has been LE and the other day I started wondering if I'll have to give up on this dream and maybe do the military, go to paramedic school, then try to get on a paid fire dept instead. I realize all of this stuff together looks pretty bad so I would appreciate honest feedback. Thanks for your time.

It sounds to me like you have a real problem with commitment.

You quit the military
You quit Corrections
You were fired at another job
You have used steroids
You have been arrested for alcohol use as a minor

You have a lot stacked against you right now. If I was a recruiter looking at what you just posted, I would think that you would quit the academy too, or maybe complete the academy and then quit after a week on the job. I wouldn't hire you. The steroids are an even worse issue. In a lot of places, usage of any drug other than marijuana is a permanent disqualifier. Even in your state where only 5 years needs to have passed, agencies have a plethora of candidates available who have never touched any serious drugs, so why would they pick you over them.

You mention that you are an EMT/volunteer firefighter. Have you considered going that route full-time?

Magic Matt
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Your out of luck for the foreseeable future...

irishlad2nv
06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
You ever watch shows like "Extreme Makeover"? Where families are struggling because of life illnesses, tragedy has struck them, however they pull through life and move on.

You, you seem to wake up (of course now actually knowing you) and say to yourself " I am bored, I am going to quit this job". Am I right so far? If not, oh well.

Listen, your work history doesn't add up. You say you worked for your dad for 10 yrs. You stated you held a job through high scholl and college, but yet in the next sentence you mentioned getting fired from a job in college. You also mentioned taking steroids, preventing you from employment?

People come on here and explode their backgrounds to us and then they mention the military issue. Thinking that the military will erase everything they have ever done. You tried the military once, do you honestly think it has changed any? And if you didn't like the structure then, you won't like it now. And on that note, Law Enforcement is Para-Military. Some agencies are very structured like the military (state police).

So yes, your past looks bad. Best of luck. I would not waste your time or any LE agencies time in applying.

lockNload24
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
It sounds to me like you have a real problem with commitment.

You quit the military
You quit Corrections
You were fired at another job
You have used steroids
You have been arrested for alcohol use as a minor

You have a lot stacked against you right now. If I was a recruiter looking at what you just posted, I would think that you would quit the academy too, or maybe complete the academy and then quit after a week on the job. I wouldn't hire you. The steroids are an even worse issue. In a lot of places, usage of any drug other than marijuana is a permanent disqualifier. Even in your state where only 5 years needs to have passed, agencies have a plethora of candidates available who have never touched any serious drugs, so why would they pick you over them.

You mention that you are an EMT/volunteer firefighter. Have you considered going that route full-time?

I'm not going to disagree with what you said. I often think about how I got to where I am as I was always very ambitious and goal oriented and now I'm frustrated with where I'm at at 26. I am considering pursuing full time fire fighter, it would be better than most other jobs it's just not what I truly have a passion for. I watch all these shows, read articles, and get on forums to learn more about military and LE because it's what I've always been fascinated with and wanted to do. I don't have that same passion for fire fighting, though I have been taking the initiative to learn as much as I can and excelling within the field.

lockNload24
06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
You ever watch shows like "Extreme Makeover"? Where families are struggling because of life illnesses, tragedy has struck them, however they pull through life and move on.

You, you seem to wake up (of course now actually knowing you) and say to yourself " I am bored, I am going to quit this job". Am I right so far? If not, oh well.

Listen, your work history doesn't add up. You say you worked for your dad for 10 yrs. You stated you held a job through high scholl and college, but yet in the next sentence you mentioned getting fired from a job in college. You also mentioned taking steroids, preventing you from employment?

People come on here and explode their backgrounds to us and then they mention the military issue. Thinking that the military will erase everything they have ever done. You tried the military once, do you honestly think it has changed any? And if you didn't like the structure then, you won't like it now. And on that note, Law Enforcement is Para-Military. Some agencies are very structured like the military (state police).

So yes, your past looks bad. Best of luck. I would not waste your time or any LE agencies time in applying.

I didn't quit any of the jobs because I was bored. Working for my dad and the job I got fired from were both part time jobs when I went to school. I've worked for my dad for the past 10 years with the exception of about 2 years. I mentioned the steroids being the issue preventing me from applying for LE a long time ago. If I hadn't used the steroids I would have applied for LE right out of college and enlisted in the Guard instead of pursuing AD and I would have had a better chance back then of getting hired. The two big regrets I have that have altered my path in life is using steroids then quitting OCS. I mention pursuing the military because I want to finish what I started and still have a desire to serve. It would establish several years of work history for me and then I would get veteran's preference points so I thought it would be the most positive step I could take to get hired by a LE agency down the road.

RCKoutWurGLKout
06-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Lock, I had a similar issue with jobs. If you really wanna be passionate about your job, and want LE, then you need to just be mature, and do what you need to do. In your case, it's either stick with something you don't want as much that will help, IE corrections/military; or stay at a job for a few years before applying.

I've had to take a back seat to patrol and work my way up. I'm not on the road yet but I'm a helluva lot closer than I was prior to detention/corrections.

irishlad2nv
06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I didn't quit any of the jobs because I was bored. Working for my dad and the job I got fired from were both part time jobs when I went to school. I've worked for my dad for the past 10 years with the exception of about 2 years. I mentioned the steroids being the issue preventing me from applying for LE a long time ago. If I hadn't used the steroids I would have applied for LE right out of college and enlisted in the Guard instead of pursuing AD and I would have had a better chance back then of getting hired. The two big regrets I have that have altered my path in life is using steroids then quitting OCS. I mention pursuing the military because I want to finish what I started and still have a desire to serve. It would establish several years of work history for me and then I would get veteran's preference points so I thought it would be the most positive step I could take to get hired by a LE agency down the road.

Again, going in the military will not wash away your background. Most agenies, unless they are civil service could care less about veterans pref. What they will look at is an Honorable Discharge. Either way, with your past you mentioned, even with the military, if they even take you and if you get in to OCS, I doubt many LE agencies will even look twice at you.

Same goes if you apply to become a Fire Fighter. Your past work history will still be there. You are again applying for a job in public service and if you think standing in a tower for a few hours is boredom, how about sitting around a firehouse for 24, sometimes 48 hours with nothing to do, but to sleep and eat. What then, quit that too?

You don't have to explain to me why you quit your jobs. I could care less, either way, you had a job, you quit.

PhilipCal
06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
OK, first I'll tell you what you're problems aren't. They aren't the MIP arrest, or even the use of steroids. Those situations go away with time, and really become non issues. I see two basic problems emerging from your post. Immaturity and an almost total lack of commitment. You should have had at least some idea of what you were getting into with Marine OCS. You should have had some idea of what you where getting into as a Corrections Officer. Your work history in general, sucks. That's the only way I can put it. With you current record of work place instability, and lack of commitment, I'll tell you two things that won't happen to you. The Army is not going to make you a Warrant Officer, and no LE Agency is going to make you a Police Officer. Can you change this? It's possible. The first thing you have to do is establish a solid work history. One that demonstrates maturity, commitment, and stability. You're going to need to stay on one job for a minimum of three years, more like five years or longer. This will help you establish the record of stability and reliability I have referenced. It's OK to leave a job for a better job, as in better pay and benefits. It's not OK to quit a job simply because you become bored, disillusioned, or the job simply doesn't live up to your expectations. I would suggest you not even waste a Department's time, and yours, by applying at present. Until you establish the job history we've recommended to you, you have about ZERO chance of becoming a Police Officer.

just joe
06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Gotta go with PhilipCal on this one. Based on your work history (or lack of it), I wouldn't give you a second look. If everyone quit their job because they didn't like it or things got tough or it wasn't what they thought it would be, there would probably be about ten people in the entire United States who had jobs. You need to get a job and keep it.

luckydog
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
I've never wanted a corporate job but took a position with a large company back in Jan and decided to quit after a day.

ok so you applied for a job and took it but then quit after not even giving it a chance.

I am considering pursuing full time fire fighter, it would be better than most other jobs it's just not what I truly have a passion for.

you stated you have always had a passion for the military but you quit ocs in the 1st week. you stated you have always had a passion for le but you quit corrections after a month. were you basing your passion for these things off of what you saw on tv? if you don't like structure then you won't like le or military so don't bother.

District B 13
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Military won't take you. Too many QUALIFIED applicants. You are a waste of time.

Texas_Narc
07-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Nope. I wouldn't take you with all the quitting you have in your personal work history. Police Departments these days do not have the funds to waste on sending someone through the academy and run the risk of having them quit on them down the road. My advice is to look for a different line of work and stick with it!

lockNload24
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I got the picture so no need to continue with this thread. I will just say that I disagree with the people saying the military wont take me. I'm plenty qualified for the military. I was accepted to USMC OCS for crying out loud. I obtained a high level waiver for the steroid use and the Corps doesn't give out waivers as easily as the Army a few years ago. I realize they are more selective now since the economy went to **** but I believe I could get a waiver in time. I'm not going to argue with anyone about this and it's all speculation anyways. I've decided to pursue paramedic school, enlist in the Guard and leave in about a year and then apply to become a Warrant Officer and fly helos in the Guard and pursue getting on a paid fire dept.

PhilipCal
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Whether the Military takes you or not really isn't the issue. Lack of commitment and maturity are. If you can turn that around, more power to you. If you can't, if you won't, if you continue to rationaize, make excuses, and buck the honest replies you've recieved, you're toast, and the fault will be yours. I sincerely hope you can make the cut this time around. You have to know I have my doubts. What makes you think the Coast Guard will give you Warrant status, when you blew it in the Marine Corps, and as a Corrections officer? The fact I'm posing these questions really isn't important. The fact the Coast Guard or any prospective employer will ask them, is very important. Good luck.

irishlad2nv
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I got the picture so no need to continue with this thread. I will just say that I disagree with the people saying the military wont take me. I'm plenty qualified for the military. I was accepted to USMC OCS for crying out loud. I obtained a high level waiver for the steroid use and the Corps doesn't give out waivers as easily as the Army a few years ago. I realize they are more selective now since the economy went to **** but I believe I could get a waiver in time. I'm not going to argue with anyone about this and it's all speculation anyways. I've decided to pursue paramedic school, enlist in the Guard and leave in about a year and then apply to become a Warrant Officer and fly helos in the Guard and pursue getting on a paid fire dept.

So now you want to go Coast Guard, but yet a few posts ago, you wanted to go Army? Seems as though you are still very indecisive. Anyone else catch this?

I am not sure what the requirements are, but I highy doubt you could just enlist for one year and then apply for Warrant Officer. Why not just go OCS again if you have your degree? Have you even talked to a recruiter to see if they would take you and don't be a fool and not tel them you quit Marine Corps OCS. They may not ask, but you better tell the, Integrity goes a long way in the military and LE.

Either way, I think we are done here since you are looking into a paid fire Dept. Of course, not sure why you would go into the military before that? Espcecially to fly Helo's..

lockNload24
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
So now you want to go Coast Guard, but yet a few posts ago, you wanted to go Army? Seems as though you are still very indecisive. Anyone else catch this?

I am not sure what the requirements are, but I highy doubt you could just enlist for one year and then apply for Warrant Officer. Why not just go OCS again if you have your degree? Have you even talked to a recruiter to see if they would take you and don't be a fool and not tel them you quit Marine Corps OCS. They may not ask, but you better tell the, Integrity goes a long way in the military and LE.

Either way, I think we are done here since you are looking into a paid fire Dept. Of course, not sure why you would go into the military before that? Espcecially to fly Helo's..

Apparently the last two people to respond don't read very carefully as I never said I wanted to join the Coast Guard. I mentioned the Army then referred to the Guard, as in Army National Guard. I did appreciate the feedback and have already said so. I'm not going to get into a conversation about the details and logistics of me entering the military and it isn't relevant. I came here talking about my background and asking about getting into LE. I received my answer and simply informed everyone of my intentions from here on out. How about simply saying good luck and dropping this now....

irishlad2nv
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Apparently the last two people to respond don't read very carefully as I never said I wanted to join the Coast Guard. I mentioned the Army then referred to the Guard, as in Army National Guard. I did appreciate the feedback and have already said so. I'm not going to get into a conversation about the details and logistics of me entering the military and it isn't relevant. I came here talking about my background and asking about getting into LE. I received my answer and simply informed everyone of my intentions from here on out. How about simply saying good luck and dropping this now....
Ok. Best of luck attempting to get into the military and being a Fire fighter.

PhilipCal
07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Be happy to drop it. You still have issues, but that's your problem. Don't forget, YOU came to us. You posted, you recieved replies. Honest ones too. Bye now.

NWA395
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Would not get past the "submitted a application" portion for us..