PDA

View Full Version : On average, how long does an academy take to complete

leo92
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I was looking at the FHP and their academy is 30 weeks long. That to me seems like a ridiculously long time but if it's something you want, you should go for it. However, it would never be for me. I don't see the positive side to working for FHP. I rather work at a PD or an SO.

ArmyDiver
06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I looked into FHP just because I knew they were desperate and looking for people and the hiring freezes and competition might be a lot to deal with. After so research and reading on here, I came to the same conclusion you did. The academy I'm attending is the same length as a college semester for the full time academy. I'm pretty sure most are about the same here (at least the ones run by the community colleges) do a google search for "Florida Police Academies" and check ones that you might be interested in. Their sites will gives you all the information you need then you can come back with more detailed questions about specific academies.

BTW, where in FL are you and what academies are you looking at? I can give you info on the three that I've checked out personally.

ShadowWarrior
06-01-2010, 10:10 PM
The Mandatory number of hours in Florida is 770 hours. Most academies have some extra hours thrown in there for stuff. Ours has 40 hours (1 week) of end of course scenarios. Some teach your Speed Measurement (FHP). The academies are from 5-8 months for full time, and up to a year for part time.

On an average ours is about 6 months given holidays and such.

Super_HKS
06-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Another thing to take into consideration is holidays. They are going to most likely give you Thanksgiving, Xmas eve, Xmas, New years, etc off so you have to take into account days lost added on to the total amount. Academies that start in the Summer usually drag on longer due to these days. I am going by what I know in Washington State though. Your state may be a bit different. Just thought id share some of my insight for ya ;)

TheKansan
06-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Here in Kansas, the KLETC (Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center) main campus in Hutchinson, KS has a 14 week residential police academy. It is not paramilitary. Another campus, the Johnson County Regional Police Academy has a 16 week course it is a college-like academy and non-residential. The Kansas Highway Patrol runs their own academy in Salina and it is 22 weeks long and paramilitary, it's also residential. Kansas City also runs it's own academy, and it is one of the longest at 24 weeks longs and it is paramilitary, but it's not residential.

Unlike Florida, there are no self-sponsored academies here in Kansas. All recruits must have been hired by an agency to go through an academy, and that agency must pay them while they attend.

As for FHP, I notice that they pay you to attend the academy, which seems like a good benefit. Also you get a take home car, and possibly the best and hardest training in the state. The pay sucks even compared to Kansas Highway Patrol (starting pay here is $40,000 a year), but if you are looking for an agency that isn't laying people off or on a long term hiring freeze, and you want to get your foot in the door, it looks like a great opportunity.

Griffin13
06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Here in Louisville the academy is 30-31 weeks long. The academy is paramilitary as well. Just thought I'd put a different aspect in for you.

Bighead
06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Generally somewhere between 4 & 6 months, plus a field training period afterwards. My recruit academy was 26 weeks, plus 18 weeks minimum field training.

MN_Justice
06-06-2010, 02:00 PM
In Minnesota you have to have at least a two year degree to apply for LEO jobs so you go through skills training or "academies" once you have gotten all prerequisites finished at whatever college your at. I went to one in St.Paul and it was two semesters long. MN State Patrol's academy is 12 weeks long, you graduate and then go back for three additional weeks that wasn't necessary to include in the academy and then go onto FTO. Like all other state agencies it is paramilitary and requires you to live at Camp Ripley M-F. Minneapolis PD and St.Paul PD have academies that run about 12 weeks as well I think. Also paramilitary in nature, but allow you to go home everynight. Some other departments that are larger but not as large as MPD or SPPD run mini-academies for new hires.

86-43
06-06-2010, 02:31 PM
The full Iowa Law Enforcement Academy is 13 weeks long (you live there M-F, it's at Camp Dodge Army base in Johnston). You may qualify for the "short" academies if you have an AA in Criminal Justice or Police Science. The short academies are held at 2 or 3 community colleges around the state (M-F but go home every night). Two large agencies in Iowa that I can think of have their own in-house academies. Des Moines PD I think is somewhere around 20 weeks, and I believe Cedar Rapids PD is somewhere around 16 weeks. Iowa State Patrol does their own academy also, and it is somewhere around 18 weeks IIRC.

flash40
06-06-2010, 02:45 PM
It's amazing how different academy lengths are around the country. Anywhere from 13 to 30+ weeks! You'd think it would be somewhat uniform...

MNFreeze
06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
In Minnesota it is 8 weeks at some places, but the most popular place is 10 weeks. This is because MN requires all people to have already completed the academic side of law enforcement before you go to the academy (Crim Law, Crim Procedure, Miranda, Search and Seizure, etc...). So there is very limited academics/criminal law class work during this time, it is almost entirely hands on and specific law enforcement class work (DV, Interviewing, etc..).

deersniper7
06-06-2010, 11:52 PM
MLEOTA, in Pearl Mississippi, the basic classes are ten weeks while the trooper clases are twenty two weeks.

nefto
06-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Dallas PD has an in house academy that is 32 weeks long. The state mandated portion of the training to be certified as an officer takes roughly 20 weeks. I don't know the hours the state actually requires. The rest of the time is spent on Dallas specific training. Things like General Orders, city ordinances, radio procedures, report writing, ect. I think some of it could be eliminated to shorten the academy, but that's not my call to make. Since they pay you to attend, I don't see an issue anyway.

boomhower1820
06-19-2010, 04:47 PM
In NC BLET is 16 weeks if you go full time. They do night programs that are from 7-9 months depending on how it is set up. The curriculum is standardized state wide at ~630 hours of class time. A few larger departments and the highway patrol do their own academies that add some time on top of that.

Michigan
06-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Mine took 18 weeks.

stiletto
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Basic mandate LE academy in Georgia is 408 hours. Take 10 weeks full time. Some academies offer a part-time basic mandate nights and weekend option that takes about six months.

Chomp
06-20-2010, 05:09 AM
LVMPD: 26 weeks, non-residential, paramilitary.

mikeymedic
06-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Mine took 15 weeks here in Colorado.

808deputy
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
My academy was 928 hours non-residential, paramilitary, and lots and lots of fun.

kansascity
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM
The Kansas City, KS police department runs its own police academy that lasts 29 weeks (non-residential)...

yammahoppy
06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
HAHAHA
My TPOLA academy was 6 weeks back in 92'

mac266
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Mine was 24 weeks, but it has since increased to 26 weeks.

LINY
06-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Complaining about 30 weeks? You should see how long it takes for Norway's National Police Force. Try 156 weeks. Yep, their police academy is 3 years!

ShadowWarrior
06-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Well it also makes a huge difference if your attending an academy full time or part time. We are getting ready to hold a part time academy starting in January and it will run for almost 45 weeks.

http://dept.sfcollege.edu/ips/pdf/PT_LE.pdf

The hours make it possible for people who work to go to the academy and still be able to work. But it will require a big commitment on their part. Its from 6-10 at night with every other week as a three day weekend. This academy is designed for a lot of people that want to be certified but maybe be reserves or not work full time as a cop.

Be safe..

DOAcop38
06-27-2010, 08:34 PM
mine was 960 hrs( 6 months)-LAPD and that was 22 yrs or so ago, avg in CA is 18-28 weeks,depending on the agency, their personnel needs,etc.Most run 24- 28 wks currently, with 6 mos. to 1yr of Field Training program.

The only "Residential academies" I know of are the CHP and the CA.Dept of Corrections( although maybe the State Park Rangers and Fish and Game Wardens might) Almost all of the academies are "para military" in nature here

www.post.ca.gov

LA DEP
06-27-2010, 10:44 PM
18 week academy; followed by a 2 week custody ops school......then a 3 week patrol school and roughly 6 months on FTO when you go to patrol training

kiddorbitz01
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
My academy for San Jose PD (CA) was 26 weeks, non-residential and para-military.