PDA

View Full Version : ISP unmarked SUV's?

mark268
05-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Anyone know if ISP District 52 is using unmarked SUV with large wheels? I had a person ask saying they saw one with a vehicle pulled over on I-74 EB near Post Rd.

MCSD241
05-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Yup, it is ghetto-fabulus from what I have heard. Probably a seized car.

55-502
05-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Yep, I saw one on a stop on SB 465 around Emerson. Looked like a tan Explorer.

tas81685
05-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Yes. The state does have, I believe, 4 SUVs they seized in drug raids. They get moved around the state week to week. I was told this by a trooper that was driving one, one night when i assisted him in an OWI stop. Hope that answers your question.

IMPDNE
05-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Is it just me or would anyone else be hesitant to stop for a ghetto fabulous SUV trying to pull you over? Granted I try not to violate the traffic code while in my POV but it could happen. Even if it had red/blue lights I wouldn't completely believe it until I saw the trooper step out in full uniform. I am all for unmarked SUVs to conduct traffic enforcement, but I think one with rims is going a little too far.

55-502
05-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Is it just me or would anyone else be hesitant to stop for a ghetto fabulous SUV trying to pull you over? .

Yes, Glock in hand until I see the full uniform!

Munky
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
They also have a silver F-150, probably 2000-2003 body style.

mtown18
05-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes, Glock in hand until I see the full uniform!

Exactly what I was thinking.

boeingleoII
05-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I have also seen a blue mustang with a white stripe and a black mustang on I-65 between Chicago and Indy lately. I agree with some of the other posters as a citizen I would be hesitant of pulling over until I saw the officer in full uniform. I think it is a great idea and I commend whoever thought of the idea

55-502
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Is it just me or would anyone else be hesitant to stop for a ghetto fabulous SUV trying to pull you over?

If there is hesitation or question by fellow Officers concerning this ghetto ride, think about the civilians. Women especially are taught if there is a hint of doubt to continue to drive to a well lit, safe spot and call 911, others might just whip out a hand gun, neither of which being optimal for the Trooper. Maybe ISP should use the ghetto ride in Narcotics or make it a Bait car.

USMC5011
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
They seized Ford Explorers in drug raids and use them as traffic enforcement vehicles? I'd be a little hesitant on pulling over until I got to a safe spot..

Munky
06-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I'd be calling 911 as soon as they light up the vehicle. Only when I see a marked car come up and initiate a traffic stop will I then stop.

USMC5011
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
+1

Like 55-502 said, they should be used in Vice, not traffic enforcement. Everyone would have reasonable clause to not pullover until they see a fully marked unit. Lord knows what could go wrong with this unmarked ghetto explorer initiating traffic stops.

flanker76
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw one of them in downtown fort wayne looked more like a gold yukon or tahoe but the rims were huge and it was lit up like a candle looked like they had a full lightbar in the GRILL!! and then one on the headliner and im pretty sure i saw some lights on the running boards too. I understand being hesitant if it only had a little dashlight but this almost seemed like overkill lol

ummone
06-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm not psychic...but I see gloom and doom for the poor guys driving these things.

This ranks up there with placing subjects in the front seat so you can write them a citation!

ummone
06-02-2010, 05:27 AM
It is rumored these guys are pulling over marked county and local vehicles as well. I think someone forgot the I-65 - 1995 incident.

IMPDNE
06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
It is rumored these guys are pulling over marked county and local vehicles as well.

I don't think their ghetto cruiser can catch my '09 Crown Vic. And if they try to stop me and I get behind them I'm going to PIT their azz!

Familyman
06-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I saw one of them in downtown fort wayne looked more like a gold yukon or tahoe but the rims were huge and it was lit up like a candle looked like they had a full lightbar in the GRILL!! and then one on the headliner and im pretty sure i saw some lights on the running boards too. I understand being hesitant if it only had a little dashlight but this almost seemed like overkill lol

That isn't a state vehicle. It is our Deputy Chief Tahoe and it has a huge FWPD City star on both doors! And it only has the standard wheels on it!

Familyman
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think their ghetto cruiser can catch my '09 Crown Vic. And if they try to stop me and I get behind them I'm going to PIT their azz!

Just curious to why would you try to pit another agency vehicle when one could just as easily get on the radio and comfirm who it is and why they are trying to pull you over? That is if you are in your patrol vehicle!

IMPDNE
06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Just curious to why would you try to pit another agency vehicle when one could just as easily get on the radio and comfirm who it is and why they are trying to pull you over? That is if you are in your patrol vehicle!

That comment was a response to the post by ummone that ISP is trying to pull over marked police cars.

LowDown
06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I was recently in Indiana last week and I saw the unmarked mustang running radar. Personally, being from Ohio and sometimes hearing about phony cops in unmarked cars pulling people over (even in uniform), I would be hesitant to pull over for an unmarked car running traffic. Here, it's forbidden to use unmarked cars for running traffic and for good reason. I think its dangerous for an unmarked car to be running traffic, not only for the citizen but for the officer. If they are going to use unmarked cars to run traffic, then there should be a uniformed car in the area for immediate back up to assure the person being pulled over that they are the police.

just my .02

BPD99
06-03-2010, 02:58 AM
It is rumored these guys are pulling over marked county and local vehicles as well. I think someone forgot the I-65 - 1995 incident.

What was the I65 - 1995 incident you speak of?

mark268
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow .. talking about getting the ball rolling.

Although I am totally for unmarked vehicles working traffic and think the SUV and wheels are an awesome trick, I also understand the risks and the potential problems. I agree these might bring hesitation on the suspect vehicle to pull over as to be expected. Like many others, I always tell my wife if you suspect anything different beside a "real" copper, always call 911 before stopping.

As far as one trying to pull over a fully marked Police vehicle, if the Officer is off duty and deserves stopped, he should be stopped. Just because we are LEO's, doesn't mean we should be driving to endanger the rest of the public. We do have an image to uphold and need to stop being hipocrites driving like the people we stop. Now being issued a citation .. better never happen LOL !

LowDown
06-03-2010, 01:55 PM
mark268,

I usually do not mess with cops driving because who am I to say they aren't on their way to a call/emergency in their city. :)

K40
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Wow .. talking about getting the ball rolling.

Although I am totally for unmarked vehicles working traffic and think the SUV and wheels are an awesome trick, I also understand the risks and the potential problems. I agree these might bring hesitation on the suspect vehicle to pull over as to be expected. Like many others, I always tell my wife if you suspect anything different beside a "real" copper, always call 911 before stopping.

As far as one trying to pull over a fully marked Police vehicle, if the Officer is off duty and deserves stopped, he should be stopped. Just because we are LEO's, doesn't mean we should be driving to endanger the rest of the public. We do have an image to uphold and need to stop being hipocrites driving like the people we stop. Now being issued a citation .. better never happen LOL !

Wow. I totally and vehemently disagree with you on BOTH counts. There is nothing "awesome" about using ghetto-mobiles for traffic enforcement. Traffic enforcement should be done ONLY with fully marked police vehicles. There are plenty of stories of fake cops using Crown Vics to pull over unsuspecting motorists....I can't imagine why anyone would think it would be a good idea to put actual cops in hoopties for something like traffic enforcement. It's traffic, for God's sake....it's not that important.

And as far as police pulling over a marked vehicle....what planet are you from? :rolleyes: You would have to be a special kind of f**king idiot to pull over a brother or sister officer in a marked vehicle for a traffic violation.

BPD99
06-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow. I totally and vehemently disagree with you on BOTH counts. There is nothing "awesome" about using ghetto-mobiles for traffic enforcement. Traffic enforcement should be done ONLY with fully marked police vehicles. There are plenty of stories of fake cops using Crown Vics to pull over unsuspecting motorists....I can't imagine why anyone would think it would be a good idea to put actual cops in hoopties for something like traffic enforcement. It's traffic, for God's sake....it's not that important.

And as far as police pulling over a marked vehicle....what planet are you from? :rolleyes: You would have to be a special kind of f**king idiot to pull over a brother or sister officer in a marked vehicle for a traffic violation.

Dont go to be an LEO in Florida because the FHP has pulled over marked units off duty and on duty and wrote them. This has happened alot down there.

jeffIL
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM

You really think its that crazy to use unmarked cars in traffic? Many unmarked cars around this area and we don't seem to have impersonators running around constantly pulling people over.

surfer
06-04-2010, 12:54 AM

I'm thinking it was a ticket writing contest... or something similar

ummone
06-04-2010, 01:02 AM

surfer
06-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Remember Cody J

CruiserClass
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I'll just point out this is nothing new. There was a lowrider S-10 working traffic near Sellersburg some 15 years ago. If it had all the problems that are being suggested, it's probably have been canned already.

We're both "in the know" and cynical. A sizable chunk of the general population doesn't know if they're in Greenwood or Indianapolis, Hamilton County or Marion County, and can't tell a deputy from a police officer. It all seems pretty common sense to us, but I think most folks just see the lights and pull over or ignore them as they would for the same on a Crown Vic/Impala/Tahoe/Expedition/Intrepid that's marked.

K40
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
If that's true, it is the very definition of insanity. I doubt that it's true, though. Pulling over another officer while he's on duty? Really? Wow.

USMC5011
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
After reading ptlcop's post, I change my thoughts on this post..

and I also want to know what the I-65 incident was.

PtlCop
06-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I've heard of Troopers stopping marked officers, on duty before. It happens. I've stopped marked police cars before, one that was called in as a drunk driver and the suspect vehicle in a hit and run. That guy went to jail and his car got impounded. Imagine his Sheriff's embarrassment and dismay at having to come to our PD to get his car out. Last I heard, that Deputy had been fired and was out of the state somewhere still trying to be a cop.

As for unmarked cars being used for traffic enforcement? I'm of two opinions, I have one and I use it. It's great for OWI's and traffic, but I have seen some hesitancy with people pulling over. I will typically follow along until they get to a well lit area, as long as they don't speed up and try to elude, that makes it a whole different ball game.

I'm of the opinion that if you're seizing tricked out SUV's or vehicles they should be used for other things.

PtlCop
06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I wanna know what the I-65 incident was too...!

USMC5011
06-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I've heard of Troopers stopping marked officers, on duty before. It happens. I've stopped marked police cars before, one that was called in as a drunk driver and the suspect vehicle in a hit and run. That guy went to jail and his car got impounded. Imagine his Sheriff's embarrassment and dismay at having to come to our PD to get his car out. Last I heard, that Deputy had been fired and was out of the state somewhere still trying to be a cop.

As for unmarked cars being used for traffic enforcement? I'm of two opinions, I have one and I use it. It's great for OWI's and traffic, but I have seen some hesitancy with people pulling over. I will typically follow along until they get to a well lit area, as long as they don't speed up and try to elude, that makes it a whole different ball game.

I'm of the opinion that if you're seizing tricked out SUV's or vehicles they should be used for other things.

Excellent post

CrashBandicoot
06-04-2010, 11:24 PM

Wasn't that on I-70, out by the airport?

surfer
06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
i've heard of troopers stopping marked officers, on duty before. It happens. I've stopped marked police cars before, one that was called in as a drunk driver and the suspect vehicle in a hit and run. That guy went to jail and his car got impounded. Imagine his sheriff's embarrassment and dismay at having to come to our pd to get his car out. Last i heard, that deputy had been fired and was out of the state somewhere still trying to be a cop.

As for unmarked cars being used for traffic enforcement? I'm of two opinions, i have one and i use it. It's great for owi's and traffic, but i have seen some hesitancy with people pulling over. I will typically follow along until they get to a well lit area, as long as they don't speed up and try to elude, that makes it a whole different ball game.

I'm of the opinion that if you're seizing tricked out suv's or vehicles they should be used for other things.

a+

surfer
06-05-2010, 08:34 AM
You have to wonder what the troops "traffic experts" would think if they started getting pulled over for....... traffic o's...

Dwntwn317
06-06-2010, 08:35 AM

Some IPD officer, K-9 I believe, was going down the interstate in his marked unit doing about Mach 2. Trooper clocks the car, but I don't think he knew it was a police vehicle (maybe it was dark, didn't have a light bar, or whatever). Anyways, given the laws of physics, the city officer is forced to slow down to exit the interstate. ISP catches up to him on the ramp, and ends up arresting the city officer. A new chapter in IPD vs. ISP, who be the biggest bad ***, begins. :D

flanker76
06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
That isn't a state vehicle. It is our Deputy Chief Tahoe and it has a huge FWPD City star on both doors! And it only has the standard wheels on it!

No it wasn't Marty's I know what his looks like this was an older yukon def had the ghetto rims and was gold not silver.

flanker76
06-06-2010, 08:07 PM
+1 to ptlcops post

BPD99
06-07-2010, 09:47 AM
It was I-70 near the near the north split. Don't think it was 95, probably 98 or 99. K9 officer was out of uniform on the way to West District on King Ave for training, driving a marked slick top. Trooper, lights him up, verbal confrontation occurs, troop tries to pull him out of the car and cuff him, IPD officer get on the radio asking for help. Bunch of IPD officers show up along with ISP troops, big disturbance on the side of interstate. blah blah blah.

I have to say Ive heard some ISP troops think they are god, I used to interact with them very regular and the guys I had contact with were good and didnt have it out for other cops. I heard a slightly diff version of this though, but the main part is the same. I dont know i bet this was one helluva a big deal when it happened.

ummone
06-09-2010, 01:18 AM

PtlCop
06-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Simple solution, fire them both. The Trooper showed his immaturity by handling it that way. I'm sure if he felt it was a real safety issue, he could have called the district commander and had it dealt with that way. The IPD guy showed his immaturity by engaging in a verbal confrontation, then a physical one, and not requesting his, or the Troopers, supervisor.

Problem solved.

AlmostaLEO
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM

...and then you'll be either in jail or the unemployment line, or both. Good luck with that.

AlmostaLEO
07-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Are there seriously anyone stupid enough to do that?

USMC5011
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
...and then you'll be either in jail or the unemployment line, or both. Good luck with that.

First off, anyone with a little sense of humor would realize he was joking.

Secondly, I wouldn't stop either if I was in a marked unit and a 90's ghetto Explorer attempted to initiate a traffic stop.

IMPDNE
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM

When you become a cop you'll appreciate the cop humor. Thanks for playing.

SW Indiana
07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm still employed...yesterday I pitted a marked ISP unit with my POV. He was mad at first, then realized who I was. We laughed and laughed some more and then went on our way...I was even nice enough to pull his car out of the ditch. He asked why I pitted him and I said I was afraid to pass him, so I figured I'd just ram him out of the way...

jeffIL
07-30-2010, 01:39 AM
I'm still employed...yesterday I pitted a marked ISP unit with my POV. He was mad at first, then realized who I was. We laughed and laughed some more and then went on our way...I was even nice enough to pull his car out of the ditch. He asked why I pitted him and I said I was afraid to pass him, so I figured I'd just ram him out of the way...

nice

mark268
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Sure you did there tough guy.

IMPDNE
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Sure you did there tough guy.

I guess sarcasm and humor are lost on O.com.

towncop
08-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I guess sarcasm and humor are lost on O.com.

It apparently is on the newer generation of cops! :d

IMPDNE
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
It apparently is on the newer generation of cops! :d

Ain't that the truth.

mark268
08-03-2010, 01:47 PM
:o I feel like quite the idiot. Re-reading the post it makes sence and actually I find it quite humorous.

LOL wasn't having a good night when I initially read it. My bad!

IMPDNE
08-03-2010, 02:40 PM
:o I feel like quite the idiot. Re-reading the post it makes sence and actually I find it quite humorous.

LOL wasn't having a good night when I initially read it. My bad!

No biggie, we all have our bad days.