PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Restaurants that give you a discount

901_FED
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Just curious to know my fellow officers Preferred Top 3 Restaurants that offer a courteous discount while on duty.

1. TGI Friday's

2. Logan's Roadhouse

3. Chic-Fil-A

FJDave
04-12-2010, 04:39 PM
This thread is gonna go south VERY quickly....popcorn being made now.

cajunguy
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
We are not allowed to accept discounts - - also known as gratuities.

It's a violation of department policy.

If a restaurant "insists", I will typically leave the price of the meal on the table as a tip. (Saves arguing in public with a manager/owner that way.)

Monkeybomb
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
If they give a discount we don't go there. Simple.............Hey FJ, Butter and salt please.

901_FED
04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
LOL...Good Point....:D Even though there is no harm intended...

This thread is gonna go south VERY quickly....popcorn being made now.

ateamer
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm old school. I will gladly accept a half-price meal or free coffee. The restaurants don't expect anything in return, except for hoping that we eat there again. Heck, it usually works out well to the restaurant's advantage. There are few places around here that give a discount, and I wouldn't go to them at all if they charged full price. So by them giving a discount, they are getting more business than if we didn't eat for half-pop.

JSD73
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree with A Teamer.

Logans opened up near me and they are not LE friendly and the food sucked anyways, I wouldn't go there on or off duty.

Chik Fil A gets my vote for most gratuitous and a dang fine chicken sammich.

stormz5192
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
We had a local bar/resturant/catering hall that would provide nice meals on the house. We are always there for fights and vehicle burglaries. We used to work there every WED-FRI-SAT AND SUN nights as additional security until we locked up several of their bouncers for beating the ever living hell out of a patron and dumping him out the back door.

Needless to say, we kinda scaled it back to once a month, except the detectives, who were always there. Long story short, the didn;t pay their taxes and the TWP fined them. They then produced a detailed computer print out of everything they have provided to the TWP for free and asked if it was fair for them to be fined when they provided over $20,000 in free food (police, fire, ems, twp functionsm ect.)

The letter came out immediately that we were no longer allowed to eat there. Shocker, didn't see that one coming.

Like said before, leave the full amount on the table.

LINY
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
We don't have Chic-Fil-A up here. :(

David Hineline
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Providing gratuities to government employees is not the correct thing to do.

Prov1x
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Good to know.

DACP
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM

Bill and Monica found that out the hard way. :D

Name Taken
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Who has time on duty to eat at a TGI Fridays?

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 07:24 PM

So..... giving your dau or a military civilian employee a discount is a wrong thing......just because of their status....?

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm old school. I will gladly accept a half-price meal or free coffee.

Quik Trip in Kansas City will give free soda/coffee to on-duty Fire/EMS/Police and most security guards.... And they will let the Cops eat all the nasty food that has been heating all day.... Good stuff... :D

We have some Subways, Jimmy Johns, Denny's, and the iHop that cut deals in the KC area. Back home Subway, Pizza Hut, and a Mom/Pop Pizza joint give discounts...

I only went to places where I see them make my stuff....or the Mom/Pop place since I worked there in College and know the owner very, very, very well....... I graduated with her and her two brothers.... One is FBI SA and the other is IRS SA (former NCIS).......so... she won't let her staff jack with us.....

Now I usually go to Moe's, Subway, Quiznos, or the Taco Bell that is a walk-up as you can see them make the stuff....or a sushi shop that does everything right there.....

Just me....

901_FED
04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Great point +1. I can't even begin to count the number of places that offer military id discounts, but not law enforcement, so I wonder what the excuse is there....

So..... giving your dau or a military civilian employee a discount is a wrong thing......just because of their status....?

901_FED
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Its all about timing ;) I usually go towards the end of shift after everyone else has eaten and the next shift has checked in service in their zones...

Who has time on duty to eat at a TGI Fridays?

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Great point +1. I can't even begin to count the number of places that offer military id discounts, but not law enforcement, so I wonder what the excuse is there....

I get discounts out here in Hawaii because I have my Hawaii DL and my .Mil ID Card.....

Not only food places, but bars/restaurants, liquor stores, hotels, airlines, tour boats/cruises, dive packages, fishing packages, etc..... Just because I have one of those two IDs.....

mitojo
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I just don't understand waffle fries.

DACP
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
So going to the local zoo who gives free admission to police and a discount on families would be wrong according to some? What about bush gardens, they discount military and police? I’m not going in waving my badge and telling em hey I’m a cop give me a discount, but if I am in uniform or you know I am a cop and give me a discount so be it. I’m not bitching because someone who works for K-mart gets 10-15% off as an employee don’t bitch I get a free cup of Joe now and then.

leesrt
04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with discounts so don't let department policies make you overly PC. Most department policies that ban any form of discounts are due to dumb officers ruining it for everyone.

As long as the discount is for all law enforcement or all public safety it's ok. It's the same as them discounting for students or military. The key is it shouldn't be expected and it shouldn't just for a particular officer or agency. Then it becomes payment for them expecting you to hang out there as un paid security.

My last agency allowed it but had guidelines as to whats acceptable. If a place wants to give you a free meal you should explain to them why you can't but if not accepting it makes a bigger scene than just accepting it let it go.

These things are common sense but unfortunatly, you'll get some dumb *** who thinks he can take his whole family out to dinner and think because he's wearing his badge they all get a discount. The business complains and rather than punishing the officer the staff takes the easy route and makes up a new policy. It's so much easier to type than it is to confront someone.:rolleyes:

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
who works for K-mart gets 10-15% off as an employee

My brother is a GM for a SuperTarget.....and gets a nice discount.....

Taylor13
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
So Fla Cop, I've seen your guys eating at TGI Fridays before...

Cannady
04-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Don't eat at Logan's. I used to work at one and they're all set up the same.

crass cop
04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Chipotle...(oh hell YES)
Chik-fil-a
McD's sometimes

honorable mention goes to Quik Trip for the free drinks and leftover food that is not legal for them to sell for human consumption to the public

Magic Matt
04-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Had lunch with my partner at Arby’s today (half off, and the ticket says right on it "Police Discount":)), the parking lot also had a couple city units and three troopers!

The other patrons must have felt very safe… ;)

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Chipotle...(oh hell YES)

We've got Moes.....just as good....and they toss in the free chips on the side.... and give a discount......for .mil and the Po-Po......

You tried Jimmy John's yet...? Good stuff....

honorable mention goes to Quik Trip for the free drinks and leftover food that is not legal for them to sell for human consumption to the public

Nothing like a couple of Crusty Dogs and a large QT Coke to make you feel better after a crappy night......

ateamer
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, why don't you get in touch with the owners of all the restaurants that do so, and tell them how they should be running their businesses?

MD11pilot
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
leftover food that is not legal for them to sell for human consumption to the public

That makes me think twice about eating it.

stormz5192
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Moe's
Chick Fil A
Mcdonald
Wendys
Taco Bell
Arbys
Old Country Buffet
Local Diner

Bearcat357
04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Off subject (a bit) I want to go to KFC and have that Death Chicken thingy that came out today...

Two filets with bacon and chees in the middle of them.....

Cals about same as Big Mac....but sodium content is about the same for ENTIRE DAY.....:eek:

jannino
04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
A chick fil a in my county lets on duty LEOs eat free. They are everywhere considering the original one is less than 30 minutes away.

I had breakfast there with my son today... they took my order at the counter... insisted on bringing it to my table and even wouldn't let me get his high chair... they also put a place mat down for him..

The chick fil a's around have some of the best customer service I've seen... surprisingly, so do the McDonald's.

InspctrClouseau
04-13-2010, 03:29 AM

^Troll?

jannino
04-13-2010, 08:58 AM
No, he's just an idiot.

LE should only receive one of the lowest salaries, work long hours, not be allowed to work part time for private companies, and can't get any discounts that are given to them because they're appreciated.

It's not like they'll go running into the firefight to save you or that they have a family of their own to provide for...

ThinBlueLine05
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Quik Trip in Kansas City will give free soda/coffee to on-duty Fire/EMS/Police and most security guards.... And they will let the Cops eat all the nasty food that has been heating all day.... Good stuff... :D

Just me....

The QT close to my house actually has a city/county/state substation in it. There's LEOs there all the time.

Mr DW
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I used to love the Quik Trips when I lived in GA. We don't have them in FL :(

adeutch
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Chipotle...(oh hell YES)
Chik-fil-a
McD's sometimes

I went to Chipotle on my ride along and they gave 50% off, so even though I paid for my officer's meal, it was as if I had only paid for my own. But I think it's a franchise, so it may have just been that particular manager.
Delicious.:)

theINTERN
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Chipotle does not franchise. However, it is MUY delicious!

adeutch
04-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Well, crap! I guess I'm gonna have to buy a Taco Bell.:)

GoldBadge
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM

I'm sitting at my desk chompin' on a Chipotle's chicken burrito bowl right now ...

adeutch
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Here, in Austin, I think Pok-e-Jo's BBQ must give a LEO discount. Either that or cops just REALLY like BBQ.

Monkeybomb
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Chipolte does franchise. Just not many. Only 8 out of 700.

http://www.businessfranchiseworld.com/chipotle-franchise/

InspctrClouseau
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Our policy is that we can accept a law enforcement discount, but we cannot ask for it. Personally, I think it's a good policy.

HotSoup
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I normally bring my food in but if I don't I'll go to where ever I can watch them make it regardless of whether or not they give me a discount...I'll take the discount if they give it to me but I won't scratch them off my list of places to go if they choose not to....I don't see anything wrong with places giving discounts but as has been previously stated there are just some folks out there that take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone else.

KapsFB
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Just curious to know my fellow officers Preferred Top 3 Restaurants that offer a courteous discount while on duty.

Sounds like an I.A. plant to me! Ain't sayin nothin!!! :D

http://i39.tinypic.com/4qpkxk.jpg

LINY
04-13-2010, 05:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with discounts so don't let department policies make you overly PC. Most department policies that ban any form of discounts are due to dumb officers ruining it for everyone.

Like this:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25731525/

I don't have a problem with Officers asking once or getting a discount or so, if a business wants to do that it's their business. Its when they demand it that the problem starts.

99 Fenix
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
wish i had this luxury....MIDNIGHTS FOR THE WIN

we have wawa...

and wilco.

i hate you guys :)

sm0115
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Taco Bueno was awesome when I rode along with the BFF--I got free food too. :) Super nice of them.

InspctrClouseau
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
One time my buddy and I stopped at a QT and got some sodas. When we were checking out, the cashier told us not to worry about it. I told him I didn't mind paying, but he insisted we don't. The guy standing behind us in line got ****ed and started talking trash about it, saying stuff like "cops ain't nothin' special." I got pretty irritated, especially since I never even asked for a discount, and I even offered to pay after he first offered the discount. I politely told this numb nuts to mind his own business. :D

Iowa #1603
04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
My brother is a GM for a SuperTarget.....and gets a nice discount.....

My wife works at Walmart................She has a card & I have a card that gets us 10% discount on all non food items. During December and January, that discount is also good for any food items...............(constitutes the Christmas Bonus)

Once she gets 10 yrs in working for the corporation, that discount card is good forever.....................

Back when I was on patrol Pizza Hut and Micky D's treated cops pretty good with a 50% or more discount (back in the 1980's). I ate a lot of Pizza (and tipped the waitress's well over par--------funny how one of my co-workers married one of the waitress's.) I don't like Micky D's so I rarely ate (or even now eat) there.

HI629
04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
One time my buddy and I stopped at a QT and got some sodas. When we were checking out, the cashier told us not to worry about it. I told him I didn't mind paying, but he insisted we don't. The guy standing behind us in line got ****ed and started talking trash about it, saying stuff like "cops ain't nothin' special." I got pretty irritated, especially since I never even asked for a discount, and I even offered to pay after he first offered the discount. I politely told this numb nuts to mind his own business. :D

Had that happen to me once at an Arby's. I gave the cashier a $20 bill and told her to use the change to pay for the guy behind me. The guy behind me had this extremely confused look on his face. When my order was up, I got my food and left. I glanced back at the guy while I was leaving and he still had a stupid confused look on his face. Can't figure out why he didn't simply say "thank you". :D

texaschickeee
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with if they give it...but dont ask. In all honesty chipolte has the best food (and most healthy) of most listed. and bonus- its made right n fromt of ya.

tons of cops go to the one that is near me. Now I know why.

Monkeybomb
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Its probably more for the fact that you see your food prepared right in front of you than anything else. Hard to do something bad to it and not get caught.

Taylor13
04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
A cop I know got food poisoning at Chipotle.

Jhelrey
04-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Went to Chipotle while in the Cities for training. Had the gun on the side and a badge visible. Didn't have the CC with me so I went to write out a check and they said they didn't take checks. I looked for any cash I had which was none. The manager just gave it to me and said have a nice day. I still offered up the check and they said they could not take it. I said thanks and went on my way.

99 Fenix
04-13-2010, 08:12 PM
i could not fathom eating chipotle on duty...YES its delicious, but geez....run code to HQ for a 10-200?! LOL

901_FED
04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Sounds like chipotle is the place to be...Not one near me that I can locate....

901_FED
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
What gets me is when I get ready to pay at a sit down restaurant and the person informs me that my tab was paid for by some citizens who have left already simply because "they appreciate what we do everyday".......no matter how many times it happens, I still feel proud at that very moment :)

dontcallmeradio
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Arabian Nights Dinner show Gave all law enforcement a $50.00 discount a while back, which was sweet. Good show / good food for $50.00 cheaper then normal is win.