PDA

View Full Version : Need some better boots

BenjaminsDad
03-24-2010, 04:20 AM
I bought a pair of Danner "Acadia" duty boots. I got them because hey, they're expensive, so they must be good, right? Well, they suck. My heels have huge blisters on them at the end of a 12 hour shift, and they're just generally uncomfortable.

I need a recommendation for a good pair of duty boots that are comfortable. What do you like?

hpdtruckcop
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I personally like the Rocky side zip field boots, or the Cochran field boots. Both go for around $120.00 and I haven't had an issue with either.

The Cochran boots can be a bitch to break in, but all in all, those are my 2 choices

Buffaloboy
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Danners need to be broken in and it usually takes about a weeks wear and then they will fit like a glove...they don't have the best cushioning but they do wear long.

Seventy2002
03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I have three pairs of Danners: Ft. Lewis, Acadia, Stryker. The only ones that gave me blisters were the Strykers. I solved the problems by changing to a thinner, firmer insole.
Like Buffaloboy says, they need breaking-in, at least the models with traditional construction. Make sure they laces are snug enough to limit heel movement.

JonThePollack85
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
5.11 Tactical 8" Atac boots. I haven't had any problems and they fit very comfortably from day 1

10-74 S8
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
5.11 Tactical 8" Atac boots. I haven't had any problems and they fit very comfortably from day 1

Ditto this!

iamacop
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
New Balance tennis shoes..

JKralC104
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Another consideration to keep in mind is the socks you wear. I've found that any boots, especially the boots we work in, are much more comfortable with some thick wool or synthetic wool sock. Wigwam and Smartwool both make excellent socks and I'm certain a sock like these would increase your comfort and reduce your issues with blisters. Expensive? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutly.

Loose Cannon
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I have had good luck with Rocky boots, but some of our guys wear Danners and I've never heard a bad word about them. They're usually bragging them up. You can always sell them on Ebay and probably recover a good part of your money. Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes or sleep on a bad mattress.

K9Tom
03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I like the 5.11 boots. I wear the 6" ATAC boot. I have a lined pair for winter and unlined for summer. I think I'm on my 3rd pair. I'll keep buying them unless 5.11 changes something.

BenjaminsDad
03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the Danners are well broken in. I've been wearing them for 3 months. The weird thing is that they're otherwise comfortable except for this heel problem. And I've been wearing thick socks, too.

I think I might try the 5.11 boots.

CruiserClass
03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
My feet are really wide at the toes and narrow at the heel. Yes, I have duck feet. A lot of brands of boots will be sloppy on my heel if they fit in the toe box.

The 5.11 boots fit really nicely and were comfortable for me after the first day or two. I just have to lace them really tightly.

New Balance used to have a line of boots they sold under the name "Dunham" that were really good, but it appears they've stopped making them. If you can find a pair they last forever, are really light weight, and comfortable. If you find some in 10 EEEE, let me know, I want another pair.:D

Batman21
03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Take a look at the converse boots. I am wearing a pair right now that they fit like a sport shoe, are light, and have a composite toe just in case. Best of all you are not pay a 5.11 "Tactical" surcharge. I swear if I see another tactical pen or staple remover I am going to scream! LoL.

They are about $90 and in the year I have been wearing mine they are holding up very well.

sp23
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Take a look at the converse boots. I am wearing a pair right now that they fit like a sport shoe, are light, and have a composite toe just in case. Best of all you are not pay a 5.11 "Tactical" surcharge. I swear if I see another tactical pen or staple remover I am going to scream! LoL.

They are about $90 and in the year I have been wearing mine they are holding up very well.

I had a friend who had a pair of Converse boots. Said they felt like tennis shoes. My agency issues Rocky's, but I'm not a fan. I think I will try the Converse.

I think Oakley makes a boot as well that is supposed to be pretty comfortable.

Redders
03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Bate's Durashock, 8", lace to toe, side zip, combined with under armor socks.

Cedo Nulli
03-24-2010, 11:54 PM
The soles of the converse boots wear out quickly...you may get 8 mths out of them, I can't recommend them.

They are spendy, but the Rocky S2V boots are by far the best pair of boots I"ve worn. Durable and comfortable, can be worn for long periods.

Other than the S2V, the only other boot I would recommend is the Blackhawk Warrior Wear ones...and the blackhawks are waterproof.

powerstroked
03-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I had two pairs of Oakleys and yes they are like wearing tennis shoes but they just dont hold up to patrol. I bought me a pair of Danners and LOVE UM wont buy anything from here on out

MetalBeldo
03-25-2010, 03:16 AM
Converse and Magnum are the way to go

Eagleridge5
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Danner Fort Lewis with bobsoles added are extremely comfortable. I got the idea from a pair of Danner Elk Hunters I bought and was extremely happy with. Danner put them on for about 75 bucks.

FJDave
03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
I have the 5.11 boots, and were comfy right out of the box. I do a lot of foot beat stuff on duty too. I also have a pair of Danner Acadia's, and the best thing I found for them was the gel insole inserts. Those help a LOT. But alas, they are relegated to extreme duty, such as ATV patrol, off-road stuff, or tactical training.

H2ODawgs
03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
I would try a pair of quality insoles before you trash the Danners.

Sheepdog2009
03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I like the Bates mentioned above but I think the most important things are the insoles.

DeputySC
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I just bought a pair of 'Timberlands'. I am not sure if Timberland just started making them or not, but I like them so far. Ive only worn them twice.

PtlCop
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I love my Oakley boots, they've held up well for the year I've had them.

LE2BE
03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I first bought Danner's Strykers while still in the academy. They were okay, but super heavy. To top it off, they are impossible to shine (I took flack for that). I then wore 5.11 ATAC's and XRPT's for the next 4 years. They were comfy, but the leather on the top is way too soft and does not wear well. I tend to jump out of the car a lot going after suspects and I always scrape the top of the nose of the boot under the dash as I exit. My most expensive XRPT's tore on the top and the leather started to shred. They looked like azz, so I looked for a different boot.

About 8 months ago I bought the Converse boots on sale at one of the larger online stores. I also added a 15% coupon, bringing my boots to $70 dollars. The boots themselves are my favorites so far. Very comfy and easy to get on and off with the side zip. They seem to be wearing pretty well and I figure I'll get another 6 months out of them before I need another set. For $70-$90 its worth it to just buy new boots every one to two years.

EnWhyPeeDee
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I have Oakley boots. Feels like I am wearing sneakers.

buster76
04-03-2010, 03:10 PM
5.11 all the way - good grip and excellent comfort and when my first pair showed a defect ... 5.11 replaced them free of charge under their warranty program no questions asked! It's for this reason I will always buy from them.

gunslash
04-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Wearing Oakleys currently, I love them!
Completely waterproof & very comfortable.
They don't really show any excessive year, unforseen circumstances aside, I think I can get another 2 years out of them or so.

EnWhyPeeDee
04-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Wearing Oakleys currently, I love them!
Completely waterproof & very comfortable.
They don't really show any excessive year, unforseen circumstances aside, I think I can get another 2 years out of them or so.

I assume you have the same boots as me:

http://www.finnrappel.fi/Oakley%206%20Assault%20Boots.jpg

Some d1ck told me they weren't "authorized" because you can't get a good shine on the toe....

Texas1836
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I love my Justin's.......and yes, I can run in them.
http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/catalog/Justin_4763_10_Boot.jpg

gunslash
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I assume you have the same boots as me:

http://www.finnrappel.fi/Oakley%206%20Assault%20Boots.jpg

Some d1ck told me they weren't "authorized" because you can't get a good shine on the toe....

yep, exact same boots. technically that d1ck is correct, it has to be a solid, one piece tip on the boots...or so I was told. some bosses have nothing better to do...I've been to two commands and haven't had any issues yet with either these or black adidas sneakers with white ankle socks in the summer:eek:

Batman21
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The soles of the converse boots wear out quickly...you may get 8 mths out of them, I can't recommend them.

Really? I have had mine for 8 months and because of what you wrote I just looked at them LoL. Mine are looking pretty dam good and I probably have another year left on them if not more. Maybe you just got a bad pair or something :confused:

lcpd8001
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm a fan of Bates brand myself...comfortable, waterproof with a side zipper.
Just a thought.

OCcop
04-06-2010, 04:28 AM
I am currently wearing the Blackhawk Blacks Ops boot. When these wear out, I'll definitely buy another pair.

smalltownsgt
04-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Black Woverines (made like the justin's above) with the durashock soles/non-steel-toes are the best boots I have ever owned.My current pair have lasted me three years and many many miles.