PDA

View Full Version : Warden Indicted for Internet Posting

Jarhead Fed
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Warden of U.S. prison charged in Web postings
Scott A. Holencik, head of Victorville facility, is accused of disclosing sensitive information and lying to prosecutors.
By Scott Glover

March 4, 2010

The warden of a federal prison in San Bernardino County was indicted Wednesday on charges of disclosing confidential information about a pending criminal investigation and then lying to investigators about having done so, authorities said.

Scott A. Holencik, warden of a Federal Bureau of Prisons facility in Adelanto, is charged in a six-count indictment, which includes two felony counts of making false statements to investigators, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.

Holencik, 45, is accused of lying to investigators from the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General last year in connection with an inquiry into Internet postings that disclosed confidential information, prosecutors said.

"All I can say is there are two sides to every story," Holencik said in a brief interview with The Times. He declined further comment, saying he had not seen the indictment and had not yet hired an attorney.

According to the indictment, Holencik made multiple postings to www.prisonofficer.org. The postings allegedly contained "sensitive information concerning criminal investigations at the prison" as well as other confidential government information.

The two felony counts are for allegedly lying to investigators about not having made the posts, according to prosecutors. Holencik is also charged with four misdemeanors for disclosing information about a prison employee suspected of involvement in an inmate gambling operation, as well as details about a homicide that occurred at the prison in August.

In the postings, made under the user name "VIMshooter," Holencik referred to one of his own employees as "stupid," another as "a hard pipe hittin' captain." He referred to inmates as "drunk natives," according to the indictment.

The prison, called the Federal Correctional Institution I Victorville, is a medium-security facility that houses about 1,500 inmates. It is about 85 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Holencik is scheduled to be arraigned April 21 in U.S. District Court in Riverside, Assistant U.S. Atty. Charles Pell said.

scott.glover@latimes.com

With all of that being said, Scott Holencik is one of the most honorable people I have ever worked with. He's committed to his staff, practices what he preaches, and is a Marine brother. The only Warden I've ever seen who will "drop dawgs" with an inmate while wearing a suit and tie...and the dude can fight. I would go into battle with him anytime and anywhere. It just goes to show, however, that you have to be very careful what you post on internet blogs...even blogs such as this that cater to LEOs. I have read the posts in question, and Scott was merely speaking the truth...but some folks simply can't handle the truth...so be careful what you post.

Iowa #1603
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
This is not a good thing.

Actually the posting charges are misdemeanor (or whatever the federal equivalent is) The two charges of lying to federal investigators are the meat of the indictment. and are Felonies.

Here is the 8 page indictment. http://photos.vvdailypress.com/files/multimedia/soundslides/Warden.pdf

Jarhead Fed
03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
As for the statement that he signed denying the posts...well, that may have been poor judgement on his part, but to attempt prosocution of a Warden who is loved and respected by the vast majority of his staff is just plain crazy...especially when there are bigger fish to fry in the BOP. This, based on what I know of it from people close to the investigation, is a witch hunt propogated by someone who was put on blast by the Warden for being a real POS. He came in and cleaned up our Pennitentiary after some pretty poor management practices almost cost one of my buddies his life at the hands of an inmate. It's pretty sad....the good ones always get pushed out of the agency. I hope he beats the charges because I love working for the guy.

Iowa #1603
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
As for the statement that he signed denying the posts...well, that may have been poor judgement on his part, but to attempt prosocution of a Warden who is loved and respected by the vast majority of his staff is just plain crazy...especially when there are bigger fish to fry in the BOP. This, based on what I know of it from people close to the investigation, is a witch hunt propogated by someone who was put on blast by the Warden for being a real POS. He came in and cleaned up our Pennitentiary after some pretty poor management practices almost cost one of my buddies his life at the hands of an inmate. It's pretty sad....the good ones always get pushed out of the agency. I hope he beats the charges because I love working for the guy.

I have heard nothing but good things about Warden Holencik from a lot of BOP staff that whose opinions I respect. .............. Including the OP.

Good Luck Warden

ihatethugs
03-05-2010, 02:16 AM
I really don't think a BOP warden would lie to OIG , he of all people in the BOP should know better. I have know doubt he did post those comments on that forum. I think there is more to the story though than OIG or the BOP is telling and it sure would not be the first time OIG or the BOP has lied to get a staff prosecuted and fired.

FedIG
03-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I really don't think a BOP warden would lie to OIG , he of all people in the BOP should know better. I have know doubt he did post those comments on that forum. I think there is more to the story though than OIG or the BOP is telling and it sure would not be the first time OIG or the BOP has lied to get a staff prosecuted and fired.

Unfortunately it looks like he did. As we all know the cover up is always worse than the crime. From what I know he was a good man. You are correct in your assesment that "there is more to the story". However, there are facts you do not and will not ever know. As for your statement that it is not the first time the "OIG" has lied to to get staff prosecuted and fired, that is juvenile at best. If you can provide proof of that statement please do. I know and have known many DOJ agents, including Buddy Sentner, who murdered by a BOP CO. They are professionals and have a tough job investigating fellow LEO's. There is no pleasure in these investigations.

The Gladiators
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Isn't there an IG forum? no personal offense but in my experience they are not to be trusted.

ihatethugs
03-06-2010, 02:15 AM
FEDIG I ask do you work for the BOP? If so and you think OIG will not lie to get someone then you are bad mistaken period , now I do feel it depends on how bad the BOP wants to get the person . I have seen it many times how certain people are always under investigation no matter what they do. As for BOP SIA's they will lie to those guys are down right crooks for the most part I ain't saying all are but for the most part they are. Example I had to go in front of a OIG agent once when he handed my affidavit to me and told me to intial by each statement and then sign it I was shocked at what I read. I had to hand it back to him and refuse because he had added alot of stuff I never said to my affidavit at which point me and him got into a arguement over it because he said well I can't delete what was typed . He just thought I was dumb enough to not read each one before signing my intials to each statement.

GoldBadge
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
FEDIG I ask do you work for the BOP? If so and you think OIG will not lie to get someone then you are bad mistaken period , now I do feel it depends on how bad the BOP wants to get the person . I have seen it many times how certain people are always under investigation no matter what they do. As for BOP SIA's they will lie to those guys are down right crooks for the most part I ain't saying all are but for the most part they are. Example I had to go in front of a OIG agent once when he handed my affidavit to me and told me to intial by each statement and then sign it I was shocked at what I read. I had to hand it back to him and refuse because he had added alot of stuff I never said to my affidavit at which point me and him got into a arguement over it because he said well I can't delete what was typed . He just thought I was dumb enough to not read each one before signing my intials to each statement.

I think you are confusing OIA with OIG. OIA is BOP Office of Internal Affairs and they are the ones who always take affidavits (and have you initial each paragraph). OIG rarely takes affidavits.

By the way, I know for a fact that OIA will correct an affidavit if the affiant points out a mistake.

I know of no OIG agent that will risk his job and freedom to lie or perjure himself to "get someone."

ihatethugs
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
No this was a OIG agent I see him on a regular basis and have to ID him several times . He also taught a class in art one year and according to him the BOP refers everything to OIG. I don't know if this is a BOP wide thing or if it is just my current institution because my other USP I worked I never had to go see OIG . Yes OIG does also take affidavit everytime I had to go see OIG or the SIA they always take a affdavit . Also my first USP was not big on staff investigation you had to really screw up to catch a case there.

GoldBadge
03-10-2010, 07:15 AM
No this was a OIG agent I see him on a regular basis and have to ID him several times . He also taught a class in art one year and according to him the BOP refers everything to OIG. I don't know if this is a BOP wide thing or if it is just my current institution because my other USP I worked I never had to go see OIG . Yes OIG does also take affidavit everytime I had to go see OIG or the SIA they always take a affdavit . Also my first USP was not big on staff investigation you had to really screw up to catch a case there.

I just found out that DOJ-OIG has an office in Lexington, so that's probably why they visit you so much - it's convenient.

That said, I've never known them to take affidavits from anyone other than the subject, and that's after the case was declined for prosecution. I've also never seen them take an affidavit any other way than to have the interviewee write it out. If this guy did type it out and make a mistake, it wasn't to trip you up. The guys I know from that agency are pretty decent and squared away guys. Most have been agents for many years.

The BOP does refer every allegation of misconduct to the OIG (thru OIA), as does the FBI, DEA, ATF, and USMS, but the OIG basically only investigates criminal stuff. So you really do have to screw up to catch a case.

Don't believe everything you read on other sites.

GoldBadge
03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Isn't there an IG forum? no personal offense but in my experience they are not to be trusted.

You work for the state so you would not deal with the USDOJ-OIG. They have bigger fish to fry than to trump up false charges against CO's.

No personal offense either, but with a viewpoint like yours, you must have some baggage.

ihatethugs
03-11-2010, 02:54 AM
Actually he said in that class is the BOP is the only agency that refers everything to OIG. He went thru the agencies and said the ATF hardly refers anything to OIG. I never had a affidavit took any other way they all are taken by computer . I notice now when you go in front of a investigator be it the SIA or OIG or anyone else they tell you up front anything they type in that you say can not be removed or deleted once they type it in.

GoldBadge
03-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Actually he said in that class is the BOP is the only agency that refers everything to OIG. He went thru the agencies and said the ATF hardly refers anything to OIG.

The BOP does refer the most stuff to OIG, but all the other component agencies also refer their allegations of misconduct. ATF does probably refer among the least number of complaints (maybe because they're smaller than the rest and they have the least allegations).

I notice now when you go in front of a investigator be it the SIA or OIG or anyone else they tell you up front anything they type in that you say can not be removed or deleted once they type it in.

That's bull (on their part). If it's an OIG agent s/he knows that it's YOUR affidavit and they cannot make you sign something that is not true or accurate. What they may do is try to clear up discrepancies in the interview and affidavit process. If for example, you told them during the interview that you were smuggling heroin and cigarettes into the prison and selling it to inmate X, but at affidavit time you see that on paper and you deny saying that, and you claim that you only brought the inmate a McDonald's Happy Meal. Then the investigator, whether it's he's SIS, SIA, OIA, OIG, or FBI will attempt to resolve the differing statements.

In the end, you should only sign what is true. At the same time, anything you tell an agent orally or in writing during an interview has to be the truth or you could wind up like Mr. Holencik.