PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to apply for the NYPD again after being disqualified?

tazmaniac755
02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I took the exam for the TEA position last spring, scored a 92 and was no.78.7 on the list but a thoughtless past mistake came back to bite me in the butt when they called me in a few months later and I failed the drug test (marijuana). I haven't been able to find any info on whether I can re-apply for the same position or another like SSA. Is there still hope for me or am I done for?

NYPD2010
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
sorry i was unaware of the rules for not replying. i deleted my post.

Unit453
02-26-2010, 01:08 PM
good luck and NO your pretty much done for. Try another state and quit smoking weed. The NYPD is NOT hiring anymore for the next 2-3 years and when they do, its going to be stiff competition

So, we're allowing students to reply in this section now?

TheKansan
02-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I took the exam for the TEA position last spring, scored a 92 and was no.78.7 on the list but a thoughtless past mistake came back to bite me in the butt when they called me in a few months later and I failed the drug test (marijuana). I haven't been able to find any info on whether I can re-apply for the same position or another like SSA. Is there still hope for me or am I done for?

You must have lost some brain cells if you think less than a year after being disqualified for failing a drug test, that they would accept you.

Let me guess, you have changed :rolleyes:

Here is an idea, go find a different line of employment because anyone stupid enough to smoke weed while in the application process to be a cop will never be one.

PhilipCal
02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
So, we're allowing students to reply in this section now?

For some reason, an increasing number of "students" seem to have reading/comprehension issues. Must be something we're not doing right in the classroom.:eek:

PhilipCal
02-26-2010, 02:01 PM
To the OP. While I'm not fully conversant with NYPD's hiring standards, it really amazes me that you can test positive for drugs, and think you have a prayer of advancing, or remaining in the process. I suggest you contact NYPD Recruiting for a more specific answer. I'm almost positive you'll be required to wait for a period of time before you can apply again. In that time, you'd be wise to adopt and maintain, a drug free lifestyle. Good luck in your efforts.

Nobody
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM
ffffffht tp://forums.officer.com/forums/shofvbsad.php?p=2134544#post2134544

tazmaniac755
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. I made a boneheaded move (which won't happen again) and I'm now trying to move past it and get on with my life which I really want to be in law enforcement.

BCSD Frank
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
It's more than a boneheaded move... A boneheaded move would be something like being in a rush and running a red light.

Honestly, I don't think you could have possibly made a worse choice at a worse time.

LAChief
02-26-2010, 04:04 PM
And remember while you are hanging around all your buddies who are still smokin' the weed.....

2nd hand doobie smoke will show up in your system. Here endeth the lesson.

DonnieO82
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
NYPD uses the TEA?

Muldoon
02-27-2010, 01:01 AM
NYPD uses the TEA?

TEA = Traffic Enforcement Agent. Traffic Enforcement Agents are not police officers as defined by the New York State Criminal Procedure Law, nor are the vast majority of them peace officers as defined by the CPL, either (although some Level IV TEA's in Truck Enforcement are peace officers.) Traffic Enforcement Agents write parking tickets, direct traffic in intersections, tow illegally parked cars, etc. SSA, which was also mentioned = School Safety Agent, who are also not police officers, even though like TEA's they are NYPD employees and wear a uniform.

Since this is not a police officer position, there is a chance that you could reapply -- but frankly, I would not hire you if I controlled the process, because you clearly have no common sense.

LT Dangle
02-27-2010, 01:12 AM

http://i50.tinypic.com/14uiald.jpg

seacop1182
02-27-2010, 09:02 AM
umm.......wow:confused:

your dumb

SGT53
02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I would say you are done, most applications ask if you have ever been DQ and what was the reason. You said you wanted to be in LE, yet during the process you go out and smoke dope:confused:.

Sorry, but I do not see you becoming a Police Officer,,,,ever.

Zeitgeist
02-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Typically it's an absolute minimum of 3 yrs from last usage....that's the absolute bare minimum. This is designed for those that smoked as teenagers, experimentally. Not for adults that are expected to demonstrate maturity and make wise decisions.

ThinBlueLEO
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree with all of the above that you'll have to wait a significant amount of time before being considered for any type of LE position. As previously stated, second hand doobie could also show up in your system. However, placing yourself in the presence of any type of illegal behavior could DQ you for an LE/government position. It is poor judgement and why as an LE applicant or an actual LEO you would want to hang out with people that are breaking the law (unless you are UC of course) is beyond me.

Something to think about when you hang out with your friends and they are passing around the pipe. LE isn't only a job, it is a lifestyle and you have to do what's right even when nobody is looking. A persons past behavior is the best indicator of there future behavior.

Bottom line, make smarter decisions and if you are serious about LE, find something else for now, keep clean and remove yourself from any situation that may put you in the presence of drugs or anything else illegal.

Drug Involvement = buying, selling, manufacturing/growing, storing, hiding, using, transporting and being in the presence of. (did I hit all of them?)

HotSoup
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I made a boneheaded move (which won't happen again) and I'm now trying to move past it and get on with my life which I really want to be in law enforcement.

Really???? You really want to get into law enforcement and you're still smoking dope??? Give me a break...if you really really wanted to get into law enforcement you wouldn't have been smoking dope in the first place.

borninblue
02-27-2010, 10:42 AM
The issue of being disqualified WILL come up when you apply again anywhere reputable in LE. You were going for an LE position and tested positive. This is worse in my opinion then an arrest for possession which you MIGHT be able to explain with immaturity, and MIGHT be able to overcome with some agencies.

Going through the process and testing positive? I don't know what is more stupid about this, smoking the marijuana, or going to take the drug test after smoking the marijuana?

boomhower1820
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine any agency that is going to accept you after failing a drug test while in the application process. As others have mentioned most will overlook past marijuana usage during teenage or even college years depending on the amount of time that has past. But doing while in the application process itself is a whole different animal. Wanting to be in a position to enforce the law when you continue to break it yourself just isn't going to work. It isn't like you got a speeding ticket, your smoking pot. Find a different line of work as this isn't for you.

JOEQUEENSNY
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Hahahaha ... I thought you were gonna say you were DQed for psych or medical ... You got DQed for using a drug????? ::shakes head:: the mistake you made was getting caught... Using was clearly a choice -- a very bad choice .

mikeymedic
02-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry Bud but in this economy, your done with just about every dept. unless you have a LOT to offer.

Zephendo
02-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Give it up, find a new career, we don't want you.

TheKansan
02-28-2010, 02:03 AM

Dear o.com. My name is tazmaniac755, and I am an idiot. Please shoot me in the back of the head because I am too dumb to figure out that I will never EVER be a cop.

I smoked weed while in the hiring process for a law enforcement job, and was disqualified after failing the drug test. This happened a couple of months ago, but I HAVE CHANGED AND MATURED.

It's not fair that one little mistake could disqualify me :rolleyes:!!!!!!

HotSoup
02-28-2010, 09:39 AM
The only reason stupid people are still alive is because it's illegal to kill them.

sp23
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Looks like you're going to be a security guard for a while longer.

Quit smoking dope, Dope!

11b101abn
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I have it on good authority that you have an uncle that is most likely hiring for one of five jobs....

Just sayin'................