PDA

View Full Version : Postal Inspector Position

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

bushgnome
02-02-2011, 03:49 PM
CB-

Not to burst your bubble, but when I was having my 2nd BI (refresh) last summer, my BI told me the same thing about having a 2 week deadline...I got the same sort of rush feeling to indicate a class, but that was last July 2010, and here we are in Feb 2011.

14USC

when was your first Poly (year)? I am going thru the BI now and hope to be with you guys in one of the upcoming BIT classes. From the looks of the movement I've had since Nov of 2010 the USPIS is going to be filling slots soon (in my opinion)....by BI investigator told me he was given a 14 day window to complete my BI....so the rush seems to indicate the need for people (in my opinion).

14USC89a
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
CB-

Not to burst your bubble, but when I was having my 2nd BI (refresh) last summer, my BI told me the same thing about having a 2 week deadline...I got the same sort of rush feeling to indicate a class, but that was last July 2010, and here we are in Feb 2011.

Yup, mine was rushed too... May 2010.

cb1911
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
No bubble bursting here. Bush....I would have questioned a class starting in that time frame anyway, because they were still under a 2 year hiring freeze that started in 2008....look guys the point of my post was to simply say that...... if anyone is not interested in the USPIS (because of the hiring process) then simply let them know, and stop wasting their time and money. If you have another opportunity, take advantage of it....but what's funny to me is that with all of the negative talk about the USPIS's hiring process I haven't read anyone say that the disq At some point they (USPIS) will have to hire more people...thats a fact.....this in the nature of the beast when dealing with the Federal Govt....I know all you current Federal employees can attest to that. From all accounts i have heard and read the USPIS will have classes this fiscal year.

cb1911
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
At any rate, the timing seems right to me....I took the AC in late August of 08, I think I was apart of one of the last AC's to take place before they stopped all recruiting and hiring efforts for 2 years......then we all get action in mid to late 2010 in anticipation of coming out of the hiring freeze....remember the letter we got did say that "USPIS is still under a hiring freeze".....so I think we're in good shape. Positive energy nets positive results.....so stay positive...and I think a hiring decision will be made soon.....question is will either of us be offered a job...... hope to see you guys in MD

14USC89a
02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Ive been positive for 7 years so far... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2011 is the year...

jjok
02-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I am almost positive that there will be 2-4 classes in 2011 and most of you in this forum will get a chance to to go to the academy.

cb1911
02-04-2011, 01:32 AM
May I also add that, Bushgnome... you stated that back in Sept, you had your MI and they told you then that a class would start in Jan 2011, but I'm sure they didn't or couldn't predict back in Sept that the Federal Budget for FY2011 would not be finalized by now. At present the Federal govt is under a stop freeze for FY2011 spending (which started in Oct 2010), so any classes that were planned for FY 2011 would be on hold until the FY2011 budget is passed (which should be soon or at least by March). So we can thank congress for this current delay...lol....so like I said, I think all the movement we have all had in the past few months is leading up to some hiring decisions very soon.....we just have to be patient see who gets "the offer".....if we all stay positive and prayerful for each other, I think we all have a good chance of working/training together soon! So keep the faith gentleman/women!

RINGOKID585
02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I have to comment on some miss conceptions here. First off, Postal Inspectors are not 1811’s. They have never been designated as such. Most PI’s jokingly calling them “almost 1811’s”. For those who are considering a job as a PI, you may want to ask yourself this question. Why are PI’s leaving the agency like there is no tomorrow? Well, let me tell you why. Your local PD is better equipped than PI’s. They don’t even have pepper spray or tazers, and never will. Training is poor. Best advice; don’t waste your time with the USPIS.

14USC89a
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Never mind, I read your older post...

Detective455
02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm aware that PI's are 1811 comparable and the agency (like most 1811, local police, ect) are faced with a difficult economic restraints but most PI's are content/happy. The USPIS rank very high to everyone I encountered and if given an opportunity I will be proud to work for this agency. I would rather live my life and accept the job as a PI rather than to pass up an opportunity and wonder how life could have been as a PI. Good luck to all in the process!

Detective455
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Never mind, I read your older post...

I just did the same USC...I will just ignore it from this point on since it's a regular thing.

mikewhitlow
02-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm aware that PI's are 1811 comparable and the agency (like most 1811, local police, ect) are faced with a difficult economic restraints but most PI's are content/happy. The USPIS rank very high to everyone I encountered and if given an opportunity I will be proud to work for this agency. I would rather live my life and accept the job as a PI rather than to pass up an opportunity and wonder how life could have been as a PI. Good luck to all in the process!

Well stated!

14USC89a
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Any rumors about future classes???

Detective455
02-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I haven't heard anything on this end.

jjok
02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Any rumors about future classes???

no classes at least until the end of March that is what I am hearing... You know what things can change pretty quick around here.

14USC89a
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I heard they are meeting next month to discuss the way ahead... If that holds true... maybe som classes before May arent out of the question...

cb1911
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I heard they are meeting next month to discuss the way ahead... If that holds true... maybe som classes before May arent out of the question...

I think we can all safely assume that no classes will be scheduled or take place until Congress passes the budget for FY11 for the Federal Govt.......at present the Federal govt does have have a budget passed for this FY...we are under a continuing resolution from FY10...but I would say May 2011 is a good estimate, sine the resolution ends in early March, and hopefully a budget will be passed by then or sometime close to it.

14USC89a
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Postal budget is set by the board of govrnors, not congress... The only appropriated funds USPS receive is for mailings overseas and other things like that... So is VERY minimal...

cb1911
02-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Postal budget is set by the board of govrnors, not congress... The only appropriated funds USPS receive is for mailings overseas and other things like that... So is VERY minimal...

You are correct that the Postal Budget is an off-budget item (not a part of the federal budget process) but within the federal budget that get passed as law, is legislation that greatly affect the Postal Services' finances and retirement contributions (which is one of the the main reasons the Postal bottom line looks so bad at times) so the Postal Service is still greatly affected by the federal budget process and outcome.....

At any rate, it's just my opinion/educated guess that classes will start after the federal budget process has concluded....not based on any true facts....so take it with a grain of salt.....hope they start soon though.

Brumus
02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I am trying to stay positive, but after reading the USPS just posted a $329 mil loss for the first quarter I am losing the faith. I have a hard time believing they will push 3 classes through this FY. Of course if Congress allows USPS to no longer prepay the retirement, things may start to look up. I will check this thread once in a while, but I am not expecting my phone to ring any time soon. Hope I am worng.

14USC89a
02-11-2011, 06:18 PM
If ther requierement to pre-fun is taken away and the over-paid money is returned... they will look less bad... ;)

cb1911
02-12-2011, 01:46 AM
I am trying to stay positive, but after reading the USPS just posted a $329 mil loss for the first quarter I am losing the faith. I have a hard time believing they will push 3 classes through this FY. Of course if Congress allows USPS to no longer prepay the retirement, things may start to look up. I will check this thread once in a while, but I am not expecting my phone to ring any time soon. Hope I am worng.

Please stay positive!!! We need all the good guys we can get!!! USPS has been operating at a "budget loss" for years now.....but when you look at their expenses vs revenue...the USPS breaks even or sometimes operates at a surplus...... BIT classes have been held before with the USPS showing a "budget loss" on the books......there is nothing that prohibits the USPIS from hiring PI's due to budget status....the USPIS routinely goes through a 2 year hiring freeze, it's just how they do things .... so stay positive!!! We need you!!!

CID1237
02-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Just randomly got the call today about re-doing my poly next week. Despite what others say I have to figure that even if USPS is a sinking ship it will at least make it A LOT easier to get on with another Fed Agency as you at least have your proverbial "foot in the door". I currently work for a state agency that hasn't seen a pay raise in 5 years and the workload just gets heavier. The retirement benefits alone are worth the risk IMO.

Detective455
02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Just randomly got the call today about re-doing my poly next week. Despite what others say I have to figure that even if USPS is a sinking ship it will at least make it A LOT easier to get on with another Fed Agency as you at least have your proverbial "foot in the door". I currently work for a state agency that hasn't seen a pay raise in 5 years and the workload just gets heavier. The retirement benefits alone are worth the risk IMO.

That's great news CID, Congrats! I hope that's a sign for everyone waiting for BIT, hopefully a class will start soon. Stay positive everyone.

14USC89a
02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Sweet man! Good luck!

cb1911
02-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Great News!!! Good luck!!! I just had my BI finished up last week. GOOD LUCK to everyone, and like 14USC said, STAY POSITIVE!!! I have to believe that with all this movement across the country something will happen soon....lol...or at least we all got a bit of a "rise" outta the whole thing...lol....

tsfl89
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Been almost another month. Anyone hear anything new regarding anything? Any definite word on future hiring?

ne.fitness
03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I actually emailed them 2 days ago on my status of my application and this was the email I recieved back. I also asked about the new hiring changes in the G...

We are currently under a hiring freeze, I'm not sure what process has been changed to date. Once the freeze is lifted there should be more information reported on the website.

Thanks

signalfreq
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I have been in the pipeline for US Postal Inspection for over 3 years, being a former Postal Worker; the writing was on the wall a long time ago, and I am glad that I got on with another FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. Dont hold your breath for this position!!!

Detective455
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I spoke with a postal OIG agent recently and he mentioned talks of PI's and OIG's possiby merging. I don't care either way I just want to work for the postal service as a criminal investigator (1811)!

tsfl89
03-10-2011, 11:35 PM
I have been in the pipeline for US Postal Inspection for over 3 years, being a former Postal Worker; the writing was on the wall a long time ago, and I am glad that I got on with another FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. Dont hold your breath for this position!!!

Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing. I've been in the pipeline for 2 years myself, as I was encouraged to apply by an Inspector I worked a PO Robbery with. Needless to say, the only thing I've done since that time is update my paperwork. lol. Glad I also got on with another Fed Agency.....

cb1911
03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
tsfl89 and signalfreq

That's great that you guys got on with another agency, and I wish you guys all the best.....but I would like to ask... when the USPIS does hire for the PI position (and trust me they will at some point in time) would you guys rather have been a PI?!! At any rate for the rest of us, all we can do is continue to be patient (I know that sucks), but the USPIS has gone through this freeze before, and come out hiring...lol...and it will happen again. Just keep the faith, people....

jjok
03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
There will be an announcement on March 25, 2011 from the USPS headquarters.

tsfl89
03-11-2011, 11:06 AM

What kind of announcement?

RIBlue
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys, I am new to this thread. Are postal inspectors 1811? If so can they transfer to other agencies, ie. DEA, USMS, ICE, ATF, if they wanted to during there careers?

cb1911
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
RIBlue

The short answer to your question is yes and no...lol.... Postal Inspectors are considered 1811's within the Federal LE community (although their exact classification within the Postal Service is not listed as "1811") they are Federal Criminal Investigators who's Federal Law Enforcement Academy is fully accredited and fully transferable to other Federal LE agencies.....other agencies will require some type of abbreviated training to complete for their specific job duties and mission, but yes PI can transfer to other 1811 positions.

14USC89a
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Like I said before, your post fill my soul with joy... lol

MIDeputy
03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
RIBlue

The short answer to your question is yes and no...lol.... Postal Inspectors are considered 1811's within the Federal LE community (although their exact classification within the Postal Service is not listed as "1811") they are Federal Criminal Investigators who's Federal Law Enforcement Academy is fully accredited and fully transferable to other Federal LE agencies.....other agencies will require some type of abbreviated training to complete for their specific job duties and mission, but yes PI can transfer to other 1811 positions.

It depends on the agency. I have a friend who was a GS-13 Postal Inspector and decided to lateral to ICE. He was hired by ICE under the lateral announcement however, they required him to attend CITP as well as ICE SAT. So while some agencies may recognize your experience and hire you at an equal GS level to what you were as a PI, they all do not accept the PI Academy. Just throwing that out there for information purposes.

cb1911
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM
It depends on the agency. I have a friend who was a GS-13 Postal Inspector and decided to lateral to ICE. He was hired by ICE under the lateral announcement however, they required him to attend CITP as well as ICE SAT. So while some agencies may recognize your experience and hire you at an equal GS level to what you were as a PI, they all do not accept the PI Academy. Just throwing that out there for information purposes.

All Federal Agencies will accept the fact that a PI has been through a Federal accredited LE academy...if ICE didn't accept it, he would not have been able to be hired under a lateral announcement...he would have had to apply just like any other non 1811 citizen.... but like I said... some agencies may/will require additional training to meet their training requirements for their specific mission....same as if your friend were ICE and came over to the USPIS...he would have to goto an abbreviated BIT and PI specific training after the abbreviated BIT...

Diablo982
03-12-2011, 12:12 AM
All Federal Agencies will accept the fact that a PI has been through a Federal accredited LE academy...if ICE didn't accept it, he would not have been able to be hired under a lateral announcement...he would have had to apply just like any other non 1811 citizen.... but like I said... some agencies may/will require additional training to meet their training requirements for their specific mission....same as if your friend were ICE and came over to the USPIS...he would have to goto an abbreviated BIT and PI specific training after the abbreviated BIT...

These agencies I know with certainty will not accept USPIS basic Inspector training in lieu of their ENTIRE basic agent academy training: FBI, DEA, ATF, ICE, USMS, USSS. If you are an Inspector, you will have to go to CITP or the Quantico equivalent if you are hired. For the most part, Postal Inspection Service basic training is recognized by IG's, with only a one or three week FLETC IG specific add-on course required.

jjok
03-12-2011, 01:33 AM
What kind of announcement?

Plant closures, downsizing, RIF, and VERA for EAS employees, as far as the USPIS goes I hear they are going to start hiring. Will they hire all qualified EAS employees first? who knows since there are not many...
No one knows the details it is like a top secret plan. Hopefully one of the 10 agencies I put in for will hire me.

jjok
03-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Like I said before, your post fill my soul with joy... lol

Hang tight man, you are almost there...

cb1911
03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
These agencies I know with certainty will not accept USPIS basic Inspector training in lieu of their ENTIRE basic agent academy training: FBI, DEA, ATF, ICE, USMS, USSS. If you are an Inspector, you will have to go to CITP or the Quantico equivalent if you are hired. For the most part, Postal Inspection Service basic training is recognized by IG's, with only a one or three week FLETC IG specific add-on course required.

NO agency will accept any other Federal training in lieu of their entire basic agent academy....because they all have totally different missions and objectives....what they will accept is that you are a Federal Criminal Investigator..and they will hire you under a lateral announcement.....that's all I'm saying......even if you were FBI, DEA, ATF, USMS, or USSS and you got lateraled to USPIS you would have to go throu USPIS training and some of the BIT......

14USC89a
03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Its been quiet... too quiet... :/

jjok
03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Its been quiet... too quiet... :/

I know you won't like this but I talked to a recruiter a couple of days ago and he said they are not sure if they are going to have a class this year. It sucks, from 3 or 4 class this year to maybe 1...
This is from a recruiter not from an HR personnel. We should be hearing an official word from the HQ within next few weeks/months.

rm6088
03-29-2011, 02:18 AM
I know you won't like this but I talked to a recruiter a couple of days ago and he said they are not sure if they are going to have a class this year. It sucks, from 3 or 4 class this year to maybe 1...
This is from a recruiter not from an HR personnel. We should be hearing an official word from the HQ within next few weeks/months.

I spoke with a recruiter last week. He told me their HQ is pushing to hire experienced S/A's that "can hire in on Friday and be able to work on Monday". He also stated these people will likely be expedited through and just have clearances and academies transferred...

Diablo982
03-30-2011, 01:54 AM
I spoke with a recruiter last week. He told me their HQ is pushing to hire experienced S/A's that "can hire in on Friday and be able to work on Monday". He also stated these people will likely be expedited through and just have clearances and academies transferred...

I also heard the same thing. No classes this year, and "if" any hiring occurs it will be for 1811's who can start with minimal training and no relocation.

JWstud1985
03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
DO they still have to post those vacancies that other 1811's fill? Just wondering because alot of these 1811 job postings on USA Jobs for 1 vacancy(s) at 1 specific location open to public and/or status individuals still end up being filled by someone on the inside and they just post because of some law equal rights employment?? just my opinion

cb1911
03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes I believe they do. Almost every Federal, State (and most Private) agencies / companies either have to post a job vacancy or will post a job vacancy (including conduct interviews and ect...) to avoid legal issues in terms of employment discrimination and so forth. They may have a person or people already in mind to fill the vacancy, but they will still post and conduct interviews before a decision is made official.

jjok
03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Bearcat357
03-30-2011, 08:49 PM
DO they still have to post those vacancies that other 1811's fill?

Yes, they have to post them but they can tailor them to the agencies needs of who they are looking for.

We do on-Island hires all the time.... or do an on-island/agency employee only hire.....Or you can run an annoucement saying one must have successfully completed FLETC and if you toss it at a GS-12/13.....then you are looking to hire someone with experience.....Not someone that just go into an agency and looking to move already....

Once again, tailored to an agencies needs......

rm6088
03-31-2011, 01:05 AM
DO they still have to post those vacancies that other 1811's fill? Just wondering because alot of these 1811 job postings on USA Jobs for 1 vacancy(s) at 1 specific location open to public and/or status individuals still end up being filled by someone on the inside and they just post because of some law equal rights employment?? just my opinion

Yes I believe they do. Almost every Federal, State (and most Private) agencies / companies either have to post a job vacancy or will post a job vacancy (including conduct interviews and ect...) to avoid legal issues in terms of employment discrimination and so forth. They may have a person or people already in mind to fill the vacancy, but they will still post and conduct interviews before a decision is made official.

No, they (agency) are not required to post a vacancy. One method to bypass the announcement requirement is a direct hire. The SAC in my agency, and I believe any, can directly hire anyone at anytime of his choosing, thus a direct hire (happens for well liked TFOs, I hear). The second method is by a "critical need" vacancy. This is what I have been made to understand the Postal Inspection Service is leaning toward. No public posting. The Inspector-in-Charge petitions HQ for an emergency billet vacancy that must be filled to sustain the agency's mission. Under this exigency, the Inspector-in-Charge submitts a name of a qualified (CITPed 1811) candidate that can be hired and Friday and start casework on Monday. HQ gives the thumbs up or down for the Postal Academy to be waived and just accept the new hire based on his training/experience.

rm6088
03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Yes, they have to post them but they can tailor them to the agencies needs of who they are looking for.

We do on-Island hires all the time.... or do an on-island/agency employee only hire.....Or you can run an annoucement saying one must have successfully completed FLETC and if you toss it at a GS-12/13.....then you are looking to hire someone with experience.....Not someone that just go into an agency and looking to move already....

Once again, tailored to an agencies needs......

See posting above

Bearcat357
03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
One method to bypass the announcement requirement is a direct hire.

AF has tried that....and got fragg'ed (big time) by OPM.......and they do not do it at all......

I've never heard of "Critical Need".....Will have to look into that one.....

rm6088
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
AF has tried that....and got fragg'ed (big time) by OPM.......and they do not do it at all......

I've never heard of "Critical Need".....Will have to look into that one.....

Direct hires still happen; I work for an agency that still uses them. And the critical need I believe is just more of a justification to use the direct hire method.

Bearcat357
03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Direct hires still happen; I work for an agency that still uses them.

Interesting. AF got whacked for doing it and doesn't do it any more........ Figured that was GOV wide......

14USC89a
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
If you have a recruiter, give them a call... All clases that were in the plan for this year have been cancelled. Hiring freeze stays at least until next year...

Brumus
04-02-2011, 08:59 AM
If you have a recruiter, give them a call... All clases that were in the plan for this year have been cancelled. Hiring freeze stays at least until next year...

This is a complete bummer. Do you know if this is for the FY or calendar year? I will keep my hopes up for classes next year. They have to hire sometime. I guess another background will have to be conducted. I am sure my current employer loves hearing every year that I might be leaving.

signalfreq
04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
This is a complete bummer. Do you know if this is for the FY or calendar year? I will keep my hopes up for classes next year. They have to hire sometime. I guess another background will have to be conducted. I am sure my current employer loves hearing every year that I might be leaving.

I said it before and I will say it again. You have a better chance of getting on with another agency. I wouldnt hold my breath for this job.

jjok
04-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I said it before and I will say it again. You have a better chance of getting on with another agency. I wouldnt hold my breath for this job.

I agree with you and unfortunately there will be another announcement in March 2012, I am hearing more VERA offers and RIF notices.

14USC89a
04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm done with this... good luck to you all.

Detective455
04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm done with this... good luck to you all.

14USC89a, sorry things didn't work out for you. This freeze is causing so many great people to make other plans and adjustments. I'm going to hang in there and wait until 2013 and hopefully I will get a call. I've been waiting for over 5 years so a few more years won't hurt! Good luck to you and everyone else in the pool.

rm6088
04-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Good news for some, not so good for, well, me:

As of today, they are NOT going to go the direct hire route. They are going to hire off of the existing (I assume December) list. Still trying to fill vacancies; if you were observant enough to catch the announcement in December, you might be in luck...

tsfl89
04-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Good news for some, not so good for, well, me:

As of today, they are NOT going to go the direct hire route. They are going to hire off of the existing (I assume December) list. Still trying to fill vacancies; if you were observant enough to catch the announcement in December, you might be in luck...

Where did you hear that? For this year? That list is probably pretty large, due to the fact there are people who've been in the pipeline for years in addition to those who applied in December.

14USC89a
04-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Things with this organization changes so much and so quickly that I dont know what to think anymore... jeez... >:(

cb1911
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Things with this organization changes so much and so quickly that I dont know what to think anymore... jeez... >:(

Yes I agree.....lol...but I think the best thing we can all do is keep each other updated on actually activity from HQ.....because all the rumors will drive us crazy...lol....it's like a roller-coaster...I've been through the whole spectrum of emotions...lol...one thing's for sure......until the Federal Govt gets this budget fight out of the way and passes some type of budget the rest of this fiscal year and next fiscal year, I think we can expect almost all Federal agencies to hold off on major spending (including hiring). An IRS-CID recruiter told me just yesterday that they had over 400 applicants ready to go and had to halt all hiring due to budget concerns and issues in this FY.....now that sucks!

rm6088
04-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Where did you hear that? For this year? That list is probably pretty large, due to the fact there are people who've been in the pipeline for years in addition to those who applied in December.

I heard it from the recruiter that works out of my AOR. His was the one who alluded to the direct hire a few weeks ago, but now their HQ is saying they are going to only hire from an announcement.

OIG1811
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Direct Hire is still utilized by agency with OPM approval. I suspect the USAF, did not properly utilize the process, and had a knee jerk reaction. Most notable was HHS OIG who had huge hirings last year utilizing direct hire. My agency uses it as well.

FCIP had way more abuses, I'm glad it was terminated.

tsfl89
04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I heard it from the recruiter that works out of my AOR. His was the one who alluded to the direct hire a few weeks ago, but now their HQ is saying they are going to only hire from an announcement.

Better news, though conflicting with USC's. Fingers crossed....

rm6088
04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Better news, though conflicting with USC's. Fingers crossed....

I probably should have been more specific. The recruiter never gave a timetable as to when they were going to hire; he only stated that when they do get the approval to hire for the "critical need" vacancies, they will be required to do so from the established list...

14USC89a
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Called my recruiter again, she said that nothing has changed... And not to call her, she would call me...

jjok
04-07-2011, 09:59 PM
There might be only one class this year (just like 2010 hiring mostly qualified USPS employees, if any left.) That is all I can get (reading between the lines) from the USPIS recruiter/inspectors for now. Once again things change very quickly in the USPS...

cb1911
04-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I think this question has been asked before but how long is passing the AC valid for...is it 5 years?

14USC89a
04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I think this question has been asked before but how long is passing the AC valid for...is it 5 years?

Yep, 5 year.

14USC89a
04-25-2011, 02:06 PM
2 years for the poly, 2 for background, 1 for the management interview and 90 days for the drug test...

cb1911
04-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Ok, great, cause the next time I make a trip to MD I would like to be in a BIT class and not retaking the AC...the facility was way to nice and well kept to just visit for 2 days...lol...thought I was on vacation until I got the AC underway and took the poly...lol.

At any rate, folks keep the faith, and thanks 14USC89 for the confirmation of info.

cb1911
07-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Hello, everyone....anybody have any updates?

jjok
07-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Hello, everyone....anybody have any updates?

Last month the USPIS created 150 positions for EAS employees that had received their RIF notices. As far as I know they were all filled and none of them were Postal Inspector positions.

Detective455
07-26-2011, 06:24 AM
I hope there is some movement before 2012

cb1911
07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
jjok,

What does EAS stand for again....and I assume from your post that the positions were administrative or non-LE positions?

Brumus
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Just curious if anyone really thinks they will hire in the near future? With all the bad press about USPS lately I knew it was a matter of time before someone would post something about the PI. I just hope they hire before spring 2013, at which time I will need to take the AC again.

14USC89a
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Just curious if anyone really thinks they will hire in the near future? With all the bad press about USPS lately I knew it was a matter of time before someone would post something about the PI. I just hope they hire before spring 2013, at which time I will need to take the AC again.

I totally gave up hope of ever being hired by these folks... :mad:

Detective455
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM
14USC89a, sorry to hear that...I'm holding on until 2013! I hope all is going well for you on your end.

jjok
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
jjok,

What does EAS stand for again....and I assume from your post that the positions were administrative or non-LE positions?

EAS stands for Executive and Administrative Schedule, Supervisors, Managers, Operational Support, and etc. I also heard that they converted a very few EAS employees to Postal Inspector positions. I have not met one but the source is very reliable. Those positions were basically foot in the door positions "Homeland Security, Op-Support, Admin, Physical security, and ect." I have a mixed feeling about this whole situation, as far as I am concerned I am not going to wait for the USPIS to hire me. We should hear something by September or October, if I am still with the USPS, I will keep you guys posted.

tsfl89
07-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I just received an email asking if I was available to attend an assessment center in August. Anyone else?

Detective455
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
That's great news tsfl89! Did you apply to the last announcement in Dec of 2010?

tsfl89
07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
That's great news tsfl89! Did you apply to the last announcement in Dec of 2010?

lol. No way. I applied in 2008 prior to being hired elsewhere as a fed. Needless to say, I'd still like to work for them if they provide the right opportunity. I'm not holding my breath though, since I haven't done anything but update paperwork since 2008.

cb1911
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
tsfl89...are you currently a USPS or USPIS employee?.....because any movement for outside people is a good thing....I think...lol

tsfl89
07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
tsfl89...are you currently a USPS or USPIS employee?.....because any movement for outside people is a good thing....I think...lol

Nope. I'm under DHS. I'm not counting on anything, knowing this place. We'll see how it shakes out. I'd like to see someone else that also received word.

I spoke with a buddy of mine who's an Inspector in FL. He was told they're about to set up the ACs in anticipation of holding "several" classes next year. He did qualify it by stating that plans and reality are always two different things (as all of us already in the fed know all too well). Additionally, I asked him about the long-term viability of the agency. He stated he did not have any doubt that they'll be around, but the number of Inspectors will continue to decrease through attrition.

cb1911
07-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I agree....I have no doubt that the USPIS will be alive and well in the near and distant future.....it's just the stinking age limit that makes it so tough for us (non fed potential employees) to handle a hiring freeze as long as this one......one thing is clear, the USPIS needs new PI....its just when will they be able to hire outside people to fill those much needed positions! So we wait........lol

Brumus
07-30-2011, 12:52 PM
If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard the USPIS is going to hold "several" classes, I would be able get the USPIS out of their financial situation! Hope next years rumors are true. The age clock is ticking.

tsfl89
07-30-2011, 08:00 PM
If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard the USPIS is going to hold "several" classes, I would be able get the USPIS out of their financial situation! Hope next years rumors are true. The age clock is ticking.

+1. That's why I'm not getting my hopes up about this AC.....

hammo34222
08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Hey all,

I also received an email from USPIS HR regarding that although they are on a hiring freeze, they will be scheduling assessment centers in the near future. My question is, what exactly goes on during the assessment centers? Interviews, physicals, fitness assessment?? I used to have all the information about the assessment centers, but since I applied back in early 2007, I lost all that info. If I remember correctly they pay for your ticket to fly to the USPIS training facility???

Any info would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,
Hammo34222

cb1911
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Very positive info Hammo34222! The AC (Assessment Center) is like a set of different tests that you have to pass...no physical and no fitness assessment, but I would suggest taking a look at the physical fitness facility they have....the entire campus is beautiful (in my opinion).....if you pass the AC you should take a polygraph there as well...the flight, room and meals are taken care of by USPIS. Once the AC is scheduled they should sent you all of the info you need.

Good Luck!!!

tsfl89
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Very positive info Hammo34222! The AC (Assessment Center) is like a set of different practical tests that you have to pass...no physical and no fitness assessment, but I would suggest taking a look at the physical fitness facility they have....the entire campus is beautiful (in my opinion).....if you pass the AC you should take a polygraph there as well...the flight, room and meals are taken care of by USPIS. Once the AC is scheduled they should sent you all of the info you need.

Good Luck!!!

Sounds like you've been to one before. Is it just one day during the week? I'm hoping it's not multiple days that I'm going to have to try and get off of work....

Hopefully they provide a date soon, seeing as my email said they wanted to conduct my assessment in August.

cb1911
08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
The AC has 2 phases.....if you pass the first phase (day one) you will continue to phase two (day two)......in my case I arrived on Sunday, took the AC on Monday and Tuesday and got back home Tuesday evening....

tsfl89
08-03-2011, 06:07 AM
The AC has 2 phases.....if you pass the first phase (day one) you will continue to phase two (day two)......in my case I arrived on Sunday, took the AC on Monday and Tuesday and got back home Tuesday evening....

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Brumus
08-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Huh? Are you including the poly as "phase 2?" My AC was just one long day. Since I was local, they scheduled the poly for a few weeks later. Also, the reason you will not find anything on the AC is the USPIS makes you sign a non-disclosure form. You talk about what is on the test, you are out. They will sort of spell it out for you prior to going though. Good luck, it was a lot more stressful than I would have thought. Felt great when I got that envelope at the front desk saying I passed. Let's see....that was many moons ago. Still waiting.....

cb1911
08-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm sure each AC is different...that was my experience (2 days).....and yes, talking about the specifics of the test is not allowed! USPIS has (if all the links work properly) on it's website basic AC info.....under the employment link

bushgnome
08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Has anyone ( or does anyone advise) attempting to contact the agency to re-affirm/show interest? This would be for those who have completed everything. More specifically, I have not had contact in over a year since my BI refresh/poly refresh/MI refresh (last Aug).

cb1911
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
couldn't hurt.....I plan on doing so.

14USC89a
08-05-2011, 05:23 PM
couldn't hurt.....I plan on doing so.

I dont think it helps either... the collateral duty recruiters they have, often know less about what is goign on than some of the guys posting here... I wouldnt waste my time with USPIS...:confused:

tsfl89
08-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I dont think it helps either... the collateral duty recruiters they have, often know less about what is goign on than some of the guys posting here... I wouldnt waste my time with USPIS...:confused:

14USC, are you aged out now or still technically in the process?

brianmac25
08-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey guys I have been following this site for a while but haven't posted in a long time. Earlier this year I was contacted by USPIS to update their security and background forms if I was still interested and I did so thinking nothing will happen since I have been stuck in the hiring freeze since 2005 or so. I then received an email the last week of July asking if I was still interested since they will be conducting an assessment center in August. I of course replied yes and was called a week later for a date in August but I am on vacation that week. The woman was very nice and she said she will definitely call me for a September date if one is established since she did not know that information yet. She also said they are no longer hiring based off geographical preferences but instead it is now based on your residence. I was contacted due to the needs of the agency in my state but as always she said they can appoint you to another location if the needs of the agency are greater else where.

I am hoping for a September date. Now the assessment center is completed in Fort Worth, TX.

tsfl89
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey guys I have been following this site for a while but haven't posted in a long time. Earlier this year I was contacted by USPIS to update their security and background forms if I was still interested and I did so thinking nothing will happen since I have been stuck in the hiring freeze since 2005 or so. I then received an email the last week of July asking if I was still interested since they will be conducting an assessment center in August. I of course replied yes and was called a week later for a date in August but I am on vacation that week. The woman was very nice and she said she will definitely call me for a September date if one is established since she did not know that information yet. She also said they are no longer hiring based off geographical preferences but instead it is now based on your residence. I was contacted due to the needs of the agency in my state but as always she said they can appoint you to another location if the needs of the agency are greater else where.

I am hoping for a September date. Now the assessment center is completed in Fort Worth, TX.

Anyone else actually get a phone call for a date? I got the email.....still waiting on the call....

brianmac25
08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
one other person PM'd me that got a call as well. Not sure if it has to do with your location or not. Good luck!!

14USC89a
08-07-2011, 08:46 PM
14USC, are you aged out now or still technically in the process? I haven't aged out... I have a feeling that at the speed they are moving, I may have to do another assessment center...

UD4LIFE
08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Dude - you are still waiting...wow

Dedication...good luck

I haven't aged out... I have a feeling that at the speed they are moving, I may have to do another assessment center...

tsfl89
08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I haven't aged out... I have a feeling that at the speed they are moving, I may have to do another assessment center...

At least some stuff is moving. I'm not counting on this place though. I still haven't received a phone call. I emailed the recruiter, who advised that I'd be contacted for an AC later if I was contacted for August. Well, then why email me to ask my availability for August then?! Par for the course. I'll just forget about it again and proceed with my current gig. I have all the time in the world.

cb1911
08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
That's my thought as well..."at least stuff is moving".....hopefully FY2012 will see multiple BIT classes for non-Postal employees!!!

espantoon
08-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey, folks. I thought I would share some news I heard today. I have a friend who is a current 1811 who put in for the last open application period with USPIS. He was contacted by a recruiter today who asked him if he was interested in applying for a lateral position as an inspector. He was told a posting should come up for current 1811s only on USAJOBS within the next few days, with another open application period to be posted within the next few months. He was told staffing was reaching critical levels and that senior management was looking to get some people into the field quickly.

I'm not sure where this leaves those of you who are not current 1811s but are still in the process. Maybe part of the hiring freeze includes a consideration of the cost to train new employees and the potential loss from dropouts.

jam911
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
When are they accepting applications? Wheneve i check, it always say no application right now.. Have I missed the deadline

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/employment/application.aspx

ignignokt373
08-11-2011, 08:55 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/postal-considers-cutting-120-000-jobs-213421908.html

Not looking good for the USPS.

brianmac25
08-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Anyone else get a call for an AC in August? I was offered Aug 18 but I will be on vacation next week. I was told if there are dates set up for September they will call me. Although I couldn't make this invite I will remain in the process.

tsfl89
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Anyone else get a call for an AC in August? I was offered Aug 18 but I will be on vacation next week. I was told if there are dates set up for September they will call me. Although I couldn't make this invite I will remain in the process.

I emailed the recruitment center. "If you were not chosen for the ones in August, they will contact you for a future date, and if you cannot attend, they will reschedule you." Sounds like the August AC appointments were already sent out. Pretty annoying to receive an email asking your availability and then not be scheduled. Par for the course with this place, I guess.....

cb1911
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
The true problem with the USPS is not that they are insolvent or have bad core operations...the biggest problem is the federal law that requires them to pre-pay health insurance to the Federal Govt.....because USPS employees have federal health coverage... this prepayment has resulted in nearly a $7 billion over-payment to the federal govt. Which will be paid back to them, but over 30 years!!! Also the USPS has to go through Congress to implement many personnel changes, which in totally.... severely limits the USPS's ability to change with the market conditions of their business. This will change, but as with most things that have to go through Congress...it will take time. Please recognize the USPS must present a disaster like situation for Congress the actual address the real cause of the USPS's current (short term) financial crisis. USPS will be here!!! They are not going to go anywhere, but they will have to make several adjustments to their business model and payment schedule...and this requires Congressional approval...which takes time......See the link below

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2011/02/14/white-house-budget-outlines-repayment-to-usps-for-fers-overcharges-but/

tsfl89
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
The true problem with the USPS is not that they are insolvent or have bad core operations...the biggest problem is the federal law that requires them to pre-pay health insurance to the Federal Govt.....because USPS employees have federal health coverage... this prepayment has resulted in nearly a $7 billion over-payment to the federal govt. Which will be paid back to them, but over 30 years!!! Also the USPS has to go through Congress to implement many personnel changes, which in totally.... severely limits the USPS's ability to change with the market conditions of their business. This will change, but as with most things that have to go through Congress...it will take time. Please recognize the USPS must present a disaster like situation for Congress the actual address the real cause of the USPS's current (short term) financial crisis. USPS will be here!!! They are not going to go anywhere, but they will have to make several adjustments to their business model and payment schedule...and this requires Congressional approval...which takes time......See the link below

http://www.postalreporternews.net/2011/02/14/white-house-budget-outlines-repayment-to-usps-for-fers-overcharges-but/

I've heard similar thoughts from current PIs. The ones I've spoken with don't have any doubt the service will continue to exist as it is today, but they will continue to lose personnel through attrition. One of my contacts said not to be worried about job security if you're able to get in with the agency.

However, he and I both have doubts whether or not they'll proceed with the classes for FY 2012 as planned.

cb1911
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
And I totally agree....and that's my main concern...lol.......however the USPIS is definitely a critical needs agency and a critical needs position...one that actually produces/recovers revenue for the USPS....so we'll see what FY 2012 brings.....like you said before...at least there is movement....

jam911
08-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Where did you all apply for the PI I never see openings when i look on the link

tsfl89
08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Where did you all apply for the PI I never see openings when i look on the link

I cant really speak to anything recently. I applied in 2008! lol

cb1911
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Same with me...it was either December of 2007 or early 2008....I remember going through the information exchange in Jan or Feb of 2008. I believe that's the year they began the current hiring freeze (it may have been FY09 that began the hiring freeze)...at any rate I went through the AC in August of 08....and then the freeze began...lol

Brumus
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Same boat as the previous post. Applied 2007, completed everything in 2008, then frozen. I sure hope they cycle through us 2007/2008 applicants before the new ones (sorry new applicants). If not, I will really be mad. Good luck to all, and enjoy the long wait. Cb's optimism is the only thing that keeps me going!

Njw85
08-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Same boat as the previous post. Applied 2007, completed everything in 2008, then frozen. I sure hope they cycle through us 2007/2008 applicants before the new ones (sorry new applicants). If not, I will really be mad. Good luck to all, and enjoy the long wait. Cb's optimism is the only thing that keeps me going!

I was wondering with the layoffs that's going on in the near future, will the Postal Police get laid off? The Postal service could pay a security guard less to do the same thing. Is there really a need for them?

GIOSTORMUSNRET
08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I was wondering with the layoffs that's going on in the near future, will the Postal Police get laid off? The Postal service could pay a security guard less to do the same thing. Is there really a need for them?

Postal inspectors are investigators, not security. Have you seen a post office with a uniformed armed security? So no they don't hire a private security company to provide guard service at a post office.

Njw85
08-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Postal inspectors are investigators, not security. Have you seen a post office with a uniformed armed security? So no they don't hire a private security company to provide guard service at a post office.

Im talking about the Postal Police officers, not the inspectors and criminal investigators. I live in a city and I have seen Postal Police Officers. I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about.

cb1911
08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
To directly answer your question, as to the need of the Postal Police Force....yes they are needed...they provide regular, full service Police functions for Postal Property, assets, and employees....think just like you local city Police department...there are regular patrol officers and an investigations unit....same thing with the USPS......the USPIS is the primary investigative Law Enforcement arm of the USPS.....and the USPIS has with-in it the Postal Police....see below.....

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want another person to get fired or laid-off to create a job slot for me.....a person retiring is different...but someone flat out losing their job to create a slot for me is not what I'm would wishing for....just my opinion......but then again I'm not gonna ask how the slot was created if I get the call...lol

Postal Police Force
With the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 (effective 1971), a uniformed police force was added to patrol in and around selected high-risk postal facilities in major metropolitan areas in the United States and its territories. These uniformed officers provide a visible deterrent at Postal facilities located primarily in urban high-crime areas and respond to emergencies including disturbances, assaults, theft, robberies and other incidents threatening the safety of postal employees and customers. They make arrests for crimes committed against the United States Postal Service and felonies committed in their presence. These employees are required to qualify with agency issued shotguns and their assigned sidearms and are designated as Police Officers under Title 18, Part 2, Section 3061(c)

GIOSTORMUSNRET
08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
To directly answer your question, as to the need of the Postal Police Force....yes they are needed...they provide regular, full service Police functions for Postal Property, assets, and employees....think just like you local city Police department...there are regular patrol officers and an investigations unit....same thing with the USPS......the USPIS is the primary investigative Law Enforcement arm of the USPS.....and the USPIS has with-in it the Postal Police....see below.....

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want another person to get fired or laid-off to create a job slot for me.....a person retiring is different...but someone flat out losing their job to create a slot for me is not what I'm would wishing for....just my opinion......but then again I'm not gonna ask how the slot was created if I get the call...lol

Postal Police Force
With the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 (effective 1971), a uniformed police force was added to patrol in and around selected high-risk postal facilities in major metropolitan areas in the United States and its territories. These uniformed officers provide a visible deterrent at Postal facilities located primarily in urban high-crime areas and respond to emergencies including disturbances, assaults, theft, robberies and other incidents threatening the safety of postal employees and customers. They make arrests for crimes committed against the United States Postal Service and felonies committed in their presence. These employees are required to qualify with agency issued shotguns and their assigned sidearms and are designated as Police Officers under Title 18, Part 2, Section 3061(c)

Thank you for this bit of information, I've never been to a post office in an area where you would see postal police, considering some of the violence that does happen to delivery section I'm sure it's appropriate to have postal police at more high crime areas. I've talked with former postal workers, and it seems that USPS is really top heavy with supervisors spying on the delivery and sorting workers. From reading the information about USPS plan to cut back it's workforce, looks like they aim to reduce the number of small post offices and reduce the workforce from that, maybe offer early retirements for the older workers that have higher pay due to their longevity with USPS. Usually cheaper to have new folks at the lower pay than keep older workers that have seniority with higher pay.

Diablo982
08-14-2011, 11:01 PM

The Postal Police Force is not a full-service police agency. They are a uniformed guard service which has continually been downsized through attrition over the past 10 years and replaced with unarmed contract security. Yes they are armed and sworn, but I have never heard of a single Postal Police Officer (PPO) actually making an arrest. When I was a local police officer, they used to call me to chase off homeless people sleeping in the post office lobby. When I was an inspector, they used to report when they observed shoplifters stealing stamps from the retail section. Mind you, they didn't arrest, detain or even ID the shoplifter. They were just observers and not very good at that. (They wouldn't even follow the shoplifter into the parking lot to get a tag number.)

Almost all PPO's are from the ranks of mail carriers, handlers, etc. They are very unionized and will not do any law enforcement work until their benefits and retirement are consistent with a primary law enforcement officer. Any PPO that had a law enforcement mindset quickly left. I do not wish anyone to lose their jobs either, but they could be (and already are) being replaced by contract security for a significant cost savings.

ignignokt373
08-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Saw this over at 911....

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is accepting applications for Postal Inspector positions from Monday, August 15, through Friday, August 19, 2011, from individuals currently holding positions in the 1811 criminal investigative job series and willing to relocate, at their own expense, to one of these locations:

•Anchorage, AK
•Phoenix, AZ
•Tucson, AZ
•Bakersfield, CA
•Fresno, CA
•Los Angeles, CA, Metro Area
•San Francisco, CA, Metro Area
•Washington, DC, Metro Area
•Las Vegas, NV
•New York City, NY, Metro Area
•Salt Lake City, UT

Individuals in the 1811 criminal investigative job series who previously applied for Postal Inspector positions in December 2010 need not re-apply. Applications not meeting the above-stated criteria will not be processed.

Applications will not be accepted after 6:00 p.m. ET, Friday, August 19, 2011.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/employment/application.aspx

cb1911
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I got a call last week to take my re-poly....completed it yesterday...there definitely is movement....so we'll see how it unfolds.

Brumus
08-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I got a call last week to take my re-poly....completed it yesterday...there definitely is movement....so we'll see how it unfolds.

WTF! Where is my phone call? Congrats, I wish I was in your shoes. Looks like I will be waiting by the phone. Did your polygrapher give you any rumors about classes? Let's hope it moves faster than the last few years.

cb1911
08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
He said what has already been posted....that classes are "planned" for next year....that's all he would say.... don't know if that meant next FY or next calendar year...he wouldn't say, or rather he didn't know...but he did say they need Inspectors asap.

bushgnome
09-01-2011, 07:40 AM

Cb1911: Are you currently holding an 1811 position?

cb1911
09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
No I do not.

jfoobar
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I applied as a current 1811. Does anyone know what the training regimen for existing 1811 hires would likely be? I would not mind an add-on academy at all, but I'd be less thrilled about another three month academy. I already did CITP once and the marital strain alone from being away from home for that long again is not something I would be anxious to revisit.

Also noticed that when I applied that the Phoenix Division was not even a choice in the pulldown menu for picking your top three preferred divisions, even though several of the cities posted above are in that division. I ended up selecting all.

MIDeputy
09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I just received my email the other day from the USPIS Recruitment Center which contained all of the application forms for the USPIS. Holy Redundant Batman! This is the longest application package I've seen! You have to fill out an SF-86, but then all of the specific USPIS forms which are almost identical to the SF-86 and ask for all of the same information.

I've tried to find fillable versions of the postal forms online, but no luck! Anyone here have fillable versions? I'm not too excited about filling out all of those forms by hand!

Detective455
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I just received my email the other day from the USPIS Recruitment Center which contained all of the application forms for the USPIS. Holy Redundant Batman! This is the longest application package I've seen! You have to fill out an SF-86, but then all of the specific USPIS forms which are almost identical to the SF-86 and ask for all of the same information.

I've tried to find fillable versions of the postal forms online, but no luck! Anyone here have fillable versions? I'm not too excited about filling out all of those forms by hand!

This should be able to assist you
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

11/10/1775
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Anyone know the hiring process for 1811 laterals? Wondering if my TS clearance will transfer and if I will have to do the poly again for USPIS?

MIDeputy
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
This should be able to assist you
http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF86.pdf

Thanks, but I already have the fillable SF-86. The SF-86 was the easy part, I just copied over the info from my SF-86 from my current position. I'm specifically looking for fillable Postal forms / USPIS forms.

cb1911
09-06-2011, 03:48 PM
There are no fillable versions of the USPS application forms that I know of...

Also the link below should answer any questions about the hiring process for current 1811.....look under Candidate Process....just after the Phase 2 bullet points...hope this helps...

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/employment/eligibility.aspx

rm6088
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
There are no fillable versions of the USPS application forms that I know of...

Also the link below should answer any questions about the hiring process for current 1811.....look under Candidate Process....just after the Phase 2 bullet points...hope this helps...

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/employment/eligibility.aspx

https://www.pdffiller.com/forms/usps.php

I found this after I completed the hand-written version. However, not all of the forms are on here. I heard they really weren’t doing backgrounds, that is why they were hiring current S/As with clearances. Was anyone else told something different?

cb1911
09-06-2011, 05:19 PM
To the best of knowledge (and according to the website) a background investigation is done for every candidate (1811 or non 1811)....I don't see the USPIS cutting corners like that.....not in the post 9/11 and public corruption era were are in now...

tsfl89
09-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Just FYI. I was contacted by an Inspector friend of mine yesterday. Apparently, they are going ahead with the hiring of current 1811s. He wasn't sure how it would affect those of us who are in the process that aren't 1811s, but my guess would be that it's not a good sign. The more spots they fill with current 1811s, the less that will be available for everyone else....

cb1911
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I would beg to differ.....if this is true, that would mean that they are beginning to hire outside applicants (outside of USPS)...which to me is a good sign.......even in the best case hiring situation, current 1811's would be a preference to non-1811's, no matter if they were hiring in masses or not....and I seriously doubt that they will fill all slots with current 1811's......like you said, we just have to wait and see what shakes out (in terms of non-1811 candidates chosen)....but with the current USPS news, any hiring by the USPIS is a good sign (to me), we just have to wait and see who actually gets hired.....not to mention current 1811's may not be willing to relocate or take a pay-cut (if needed)....so we'll see how it all shakes out!

jfoobar
09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Well, I am one less 1811 you will need to worry about. I just got back into town to find a 7-day response required package from USPIS that I received six days ago. Alas, tomorrow I will be in court so there is no way I will get it in in time. It's probably just as well. One reason I was considering other positions was a strong desire to relocate but I think this would have possibly happened faster than I am ready.

cb1911
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Well, I am one less 1811 you will need to worry about. I just got back into town to find a 7-day response required package from USPIS that I received six days ago. Alas, tomorrow I will be in court so there is no way I will get it in in time. It's probably just as well. One reason I was considering other positions was a strong desire to relocate but I think this would have possibly happened faster than I am ready.

I will gladly take your slot with the USPIS...lol...but seriously, good luck with your career and stay safe!!!

xynder
09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I doubt turning the app in a few days later will make a difference. They want a certified birth certificate; few people will have that available and be able to return the entire thing within 7 days.

Also, not sure how much interest there was in this job announcement given the financial situation of the USPIS. However, my postal inspector friend told me:

-no poly, academy (add-on or otherwise), or assessment center for this vacany. 2-week on the job training is it. they are looking to get people on the job ASAP.

RINGOKID585
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone that puts in to be a Postal Inspector now has to be absolute nuts. The USPIS is poorly led, the worst equipment, training of all federal LE. Just ask an inspector. They are leaving in droves to other agencies on a daily basis. PI's are NOT 1811's and thus don’t have that protection.

xynder
09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Anyone that puts in to be a Postal Inspector now has to be absolute nuts. The USPIS is poorly led, the worst equipment, training of all federal LE. Just ask an inspector. They are leaving in droves to other agencies on a daily basis. PI's are NOT 1811's and thus don’t have that protection.

Think so? I haven't heard that from inspector friends.

cb1911
09-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I ditto that XYNDER ....never heard that form any Inspectors or any other 1811's I've talked to....but to each his own opinion. I'm sure no work place has a 100% satisfaction rate.

xynder
09-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Dunno if I already posted this: according to my Inspector buddy, for this 1811 lateral announcement:

-no polygraph
-no academy
-no assessment center

there is just a 2-week on the job training. my buddy said that, in his office alone, they are down 8 inspectors, to retirement or leaving for postal oig/HSI.

Corpor_usmc
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I ditto that XYNDER ....never heard that form any Inspectors or any other 1811's I've talked to....but to each his own opinion. I'm sure no work place has a 100% satisfaction rate.

Plus one here...

RINGOKID585
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM
For those of you who might be interested in the PI job you should research the lawsuit. Read what their Deputy Chief said in his depo. He testified that Inspectors are not Law Enforcement but postal manager. Remember, PI's are not or have ever been 1811's.

http://www.uspsclassaction.com/

xynder
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
For those of you who might be interested in the PI job you should research the lawsuit. Read what their Deputy Chief said in his depo. He testified that Inspectors are not Law Enforcement but postal manager. Remember, PI's are not or have ever been 1811's.

not 1811s, true, but are 1811s for all intents and purposes. that is, they are able to transfer to 1811 lateral announcements, as any PI who has transferred to HSI can tell you.

and "not law enforcement" makes no sense, given they have statutory authority to arrest, carry firearms, etc. if they aren't law enforcement how do they right search warrants and detain people?

rm6088
09-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Humm, so Special Agents with the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) are not law enforcement because I believe their job code is FS-2501? I guess enlisted or commissioned Special Agent with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations are not law enforcement either? Neither are Special Agents that are enlisted or warrant officers with Army CID, Marine Corps Investigative Service, Coast Guard Investigative Service? You obviously have an axe to grind, and that is fine, but don't insult the people applying at this LAW ENFORCEMENT agency but implying they haven't researched this before applying as a lateral.

cb1911
09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

That case it about overtime pay...not bad equipment or job environment or job dissatisfaction. And any agency that has the power to arrest people (anywhere in the United States I might add), carry a firearm, and enforce the laws of the United States Criminal Code, is a Law Enforcement Agency in my book.

rm6088
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Has anyone in the current 1811 pipeline had their interview with management yet?

Brumus
10-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Well out of the blue I got a call for polygraph, round 2. The Inspector asked if I was still interested, my response was "are you guys actually going to hire?" He got a good chuckle out of that. Didn't answer the question though. We will see how it goes.

cb1911
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Well out of the blue I got a call for polygraph, round 2. The Inspector asked if I was still interested, my response was "are you guys actually going to hire?" He got a good chuckle out of that. Didn't answer the question though. We will see how it goes.

Glad you got your call man....you had me feeling bad for a minute...lol....Hope to see you in a BIT class soon.

tsfl89
10-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Glad you got your call man....you had me feeling bad for a minute...lol....Hope to see you in a BIT class soon.

I received word from an insider today that 4 classes for 2012 are a go. He's going to stay on top of it and give me more info as he gets it. We'll see.....

Detective455
10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I received word from an insider today that 4 classes for 2012 are a go. He's going to stay on top of it and give me more info as he gets it. We'll see.....

That's great news! I hope its not flooded with 1811's so we can have a chance. Thanks for posting the info.

cb1911
10-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Must be why the USPS raised the cost of a stamp one cent...lol.....

rm6088
10-19-2011, 12:14 AM
That's great news! I hope its not flooded with 1811's so we can have a chance. Thanks for posting the info.

The 1811 posting that was up a few weeks ago is a TOTALLY separate hiring mechanism.

NeverGiveUp82
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Does anyone know if the dc office/surrounding areas still have g-rides?

tsfl89
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
The 1811 posting that was up a few weeks ago is a TOTALLY separate hiring mechanism.

+1. 1811s don't have to go through the classes he was referring to.....

Brumus
10-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I spoke with two Inspectors and confirmed 4 classes have been authorized with the first class scheduled to begin in January 2012. They did caution that the were authorized to hold four classes in 2011, but that was obviously cancelled. I found it interesting that the younger of the two Inspectors was optimistic about the Inspectors future, while the almost retired Inspector advised me to make sure I do my homework before leaving the secure Govt position I now have. He advised since they are not 1811, the clock does not stop ticking for other federal agencies. So if the Inspectors were to be abolished say in 10 years, I would be SOL. He did say he has enjoyed the job and the pay is great, but he was just worried about the future of the Inspectors. He really had me thinking about making the move. Well I figure I still need to get an offer before I start worrying about this decision. Here is hoping we all get the offer.

ne.fitness
10-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Great to hear about the four potential classes... I do have a question about this hiring process. I applied when the postal inspectors had their last announcement and had a qualifying application/passed the first exam. On my application console, it still says I need to be contacted to set up my "Information Exchange". Will they start the application process for people who applied for the last announcement OR will they only process those who are already further in? Any information would be very helpful

Brumus
10-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Great to hear about the four potential classes... I do have a question about this hiring process. I applied when the postal inspectors had their last announcement and had a qualifying application/passed the first exam. On my application console, it still says I need to be contacted to set up my "Information Exchange". Will they start the application process for people who applied for the last announcement OR will they only process those who are already further in? Any information would be very helpful

With four classes, I am sure they will conduct IE and assessments again. I believe they will process those who are already through the testing phases first though. Good luck. The process moved fast until the hiring freeze.

rm6088
10-22-2011, 11:15 PM
He advised since they are not 1811, the clock does not stop ticking for other federal agencies. So if the Inspectors were to be abolished say in 10 years, I would be SOL. He did say he has enjoyed the job and the pay is great, but he was just worried about the future of the Inspectors. He really had me thinking about making the move. Well I figure I still need to get an offer before I start worrying about this decision. Here is hoping we all get the offer.

I would do a bit more checking on this issue.

From USPIS website:

All Postal Inspectors are covered under either the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). Most newly hired Postal Inspectors are covered under FERS, with the exception of those transferring from other Federal positions, who may be covered under CSRS. Postal Inspectors who meet the following age and years of service as a federal law enforcement officer are eligible to retire under the special provisions for law enforcement officers.

In addition to basic pay, Postal Inspectors receive locality pay and law enforcement availability pay.

From OPM website:

In general, the term law enforcement officer in the retirement statutes means an employee "the duties of whose positions are primarily the investigation, apprehension, or detention of persons suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the United States…", per 5 U.S.C. §8331(20) and 5 U.S.C. §8401(17). The statutory definition of law enforcement officer also includes an employee who moves directly to a supervisory or administrative law enforcement officer position from a frontline or "primary" law enforcement officer position (i.e., a position the primary duties of which are "investigation, apprehension, or detention of persons suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the United States…"), per definitions of primary and secondary positions at 5 CFR 831.902 and 5 CFR 842.802.

I was told that retirement will change in no way when transfering from an 1811 to Inspector. As Inspectors receive LEAP, I would assume they must qualify as Law Enforcement for retirement as the statute that governs LEAP [ 5 U.S.C. 5541(3) ] utilizes the aforementioned retirement statutes to define what qualifies one as Law Enforcment.

cb1911
10-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Again, Postal Inspectors are not technically listed as 1811's because their job classification is not within the OPM system. Their actual job classification is within the USPS system.....however by federal law they are treated just the same (pay, retirement, duties, authority, lateral transfers, academy, and ect.).

The reason there is an age limit for any Federal Law enforcement job is due to the retirement age requirement (must have 20 years to receive full retirement, and any federal law enforcement officer must retire from active duty by age 57)...thus to qualify for the Postal Inspector or any Federal Law enforcement job retirement plan (1811 or any other position such as Federal Parole Officer and ect...), you must be hired by your 37th birthday (to fully retire at 57....20 years). A Postal Inspector can lateral to any 1811 job after one is hired and pass their federally accredited academy (BIT) without an issue because they are classified as Federal Law Enforcement Officers and use the Federal Retirement System.....just as any 1811 can lateral to a PI position the same way. If you have not been hired as an PI or any Federal Law Enforcement job by your 37th birthday you cannot be hired as any 1811, federal law enforcement position, including PI because you will not be able to receive/qualify for full retirement once you are forced to retire at age 57.

The age requirement has absolutely nothing to do with any classification or job title or anything other than retirement!!! It's just that simple.

cb1911
10-23-2011, 01:59 AM
As an example....Border Patrol Agents, are not classified as 1811's, US Marshals are not classified as 1811's, TSA Air Marshals are not classified as 1811's, Park Police.....Park Rangers.......I can go on and on...but they are covered under the CSRS or FERS and under the OPM definition of Law Enforcement Officers...thus if you get hired as one of the above positions before your 37th birthday, you can lateral to any other 1811 / Federal Law Enforcement position after the age of 37 because you will have started the retirement clock before your 37th birthday.

I hope this clears up this re-occurring question...also see below....from Wikipedia...lol.....

Not all federal criminal investigators are called "special agents". Some federal agencies entitle their investigators as "criminal investigators" but use the term interchangeably with "special agent". Other federal agencies use different titles for the same 1811 criminal investigative job series. Series 1811 criminal investigators for the U.S. marshals are entitled "deputy marshals". Series 1811 criminal investigators for the U.S Postal Inspection Service are called "postal inspectors". These inspectors were originally called "surveyors" and received a title change in 1801 to "special agent", making them the first special agents in the United States. In 1880, the U.S. Congress created the position of "Chief Postal Inspector" and renamed these "special agents" to "postal inspectors".

Bearcat357
10-23-2011, 02:01 AM
US Marshals are not classified as 1811'sErrr....FYI....USMS Deputies start off as 0082 but are converted over to 1811s as their careers progress.....

cb1911
10-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Exactly my point....when applying the job classification has no baring on their classification as Federal Law Enforcement Officers.....if one were to lateral to another Federal LE position still classified as a 0082, they still could.

14USC89a
10-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Greetings from the Bering Sea my friends...

Great news endeed. With that said, we have heard the same thing for 3 years straight. Comes October, there is always 3 or 4 classes the next year... so far none have materialized... :rolleyes:

14USC89a
10-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone else has completed all the steps for hiring and just waiting for the call? Lets keep our collective fingers crossed...:cool:

cb1911
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Anyone else has completed all the steps for hiring and just waiting for the call? Lets keep our collective fingers crossed...:cool:

I have done everything but the medical exam and Management Interview (to include a second poly in August). So my fingers are all crossed up...lol....if the timetable presented on here is correct, somebody should be getting some type of notification soon...seeing as the first BIT is slated to begin in January (according to the posts on here).

Brumus
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=cb1911;2907553]I have done everything but the medical exam and Management Interview (to include a second poly in August). So my fingers are all crossed up...lol....if the timetable presented on here is correct, somebody should be getting some type of notification soon...seeing as the first BIT is slated to begin in January (according to the post on here)

+1. Come on MI and physical. Maryland is cold in January, so be prepared. Of course nowhere near as cold as the Bearing Sea.

14USC89a
10-25-2011, 09:18 PM
My MI (2nd) is about to expire... I hope that doesnt hose me...

jjok
10-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Good news for those who have been waiting for a long time, there will be 4 classes in FY2012 (99.99999%)...

14USC89a
10-30-2011, 12:50 AM
J, do you know dates for the BITs?

cb1911
10-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Good news for those who have been waiting for a long time, there will be 4 classes in FY2012 (99.99999%)...

Great news....hope to see everyone either in class or in the field!!!

14USC89a
10-30-2011, 02:40 AM
You and me both brother... I wonder if after 7 years I will really become a Postal Inspector... I just hope they dont offer me a shotty location (eventhou I will still accept it)...

jjok
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
J, do you know dates for the BITs?

No but I was told pretty soon. I am not sure 1 class per quarter or 2 at a time. The USPIS have to hire new PIs soon/this year otherwise they cannot function in a couple of years.

MIDeputy
10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
What's the word on the street in regards to the recent 1811 lateral announcement?

jjok
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
What's the word on the street in regards to the recent 1811 lateral announcement?

Unsuccessful...

rm6088
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Unsuccessful...

I would have to disagree...

MIDeputy
10-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Perhaps I was too generic in my previous post and I apologize. What's the word on the street for the 1811 lateral announcement in terms of a time frame for when they want to hire? Number of current 1811's they plan to hire? Has anyone else had movement on their application? Etc.

rm6088
11-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Perhaps I was too generic in my previous post and I apologize. What's the word on the street for the 1811 lateral announcement in terms of a time frame for when they want to hire? Number of current 1811's they plan to hire? Has anyone else had movement on their application? Etc.

I heard sometime around Christmas; not sure about a number.

jjok
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I was talking about current numbers did not meet expectations. My bad...

14USC89a
11-03-2011, 10:02 PM
They usually start 60 days out before a class... if there was a class in Jan... calls will start soon... just thinking out loud...

cb1911
11-04-2011, 12:53 AM
They usually start 60 days out before a class... if there was a class in Jan... calls will start soon... just thinking out loud...

I got an email today asking if my information (address, employer, phone number, and ect.) had changed since my BI.....was also told that my MI should be scheduled soon......not exactly a phone call, but hey its communication none-the-less.

I really do believe classes will be held in 2012, its just a matter of how many, when and who gets selected to be in the classes. I read the USPIS annual report yesterday, and they held one BIT class in 2010 with 22 graduates......obviously none of us were selected for that class but it shows that classes will or are being held....it's just when and how many.

my 3 cents

14USC89a
11-04-2011, 12:59 AM
That is really good news:cool:

I heard the 2010/11 class was mostly Postal employees... 2 dropped for some reason...

bushgnome
11-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I got an email today asking if my information (address, employer, phone number, and ect.) had changed since my BI.....was also told that my MI should be scheduled soon......not exactly a phone call, but hey its communication none-the-less.

I really do believe classes will be held in 2012, its just a matter of how many, when and who gets selected to be in the classes. I read the USPIS annual report yesterday, and they held one BIT class in 2010 with 22 graduates......obviously none of us were selected for that class but it shows that classes will or are being held....it's just when and how many.

my 3 cents

I too received the above email yesterday....the email along with the rumors on this board gives some hope. This is the first correspondence I've received from USPIS since Aug. 2010 after re-doing Poly, BI, and MI.

14USC89a
11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Bush, are you an 1811?

bushgnome
11-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Bush, are you an 1811?

I am not an 1811.

cb1911
11-09-2011, 10:45 AM
2 years for the poly, 2 for background, 1 for the management interview and 90 days for the drug test...

To all who are in communication with the USPIS....please confirm with them receipt of your communications (email, fax, or mail). Do not assume they received your communications. I just had a situation where 2 emails I sent to them were not received, in reference to updated information. I was told that the information was needed for me to goto the next phase of the application process (MI). I only found out by inquiring if they received my previous emails. I would hate for anyone to be held-up or DQ'ed from the application process because of a miss-communication or some other BS like that....just an FYI. Stay on top of them and make sure they have your stuff!!!

14USC89a
11-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, my application in 2003 was severely affected by me not following up!

Brumus
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe someone can provide more information, but I took the advice of the previous posters and confirmed the receipt of my updated information. They did receive my updates, but then the individual asked me if they had asked my location preference. When I stated I am confused because I was under the impression that I was being considered for a local office, she stated that they are not hiring in my area and are looking to fill spots in New Mexico, Phoenix, and San Fran. With four classes happening in 2012, I don't not see those areas getting all those spots. Anybody have any insight? Good news is, she said things should be moving quickly. Bad news, she only mentioned those areas.

cb1911
11-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Maybe someone can provide more information, but I took the advice of the previous posters and confirmed the receipt of my updated information. They did receive my updates, but then the individual asked me if they had asked my location preference. When I stated I am confused because I was under the impression that I was being considered for a local office, she stated that they are not hiring in my area and are looking to fill spots in New Mexico, Phoenix, and San Fran. With four classes happening in 2012, I don't not see those areas getting all those spots. Anybody have any insight? Good news is, she said things should be moving quickly. Bad news, she only mentioned those areas.

That is half correct according to my source.....they are looking to fill the most vacant offices first (the highest cost of living areas) like DC, Alaska (yes I said Alaska...lol), Detroit, Chicago, San Fran, Phoenix, New Mexico, Newark, New York and a few other places. Also they are not paying for relocation as they one did, so it may be a geographical thing (trying to get you close to where you are now).....where are you located? Doesn't mean you can't get your local office if they have an opening, but I would not count on it. If you are unwilling to relocate, let them know up front (and let them know your preferences including the above locations), because if they offer you a position and you turn it down, the odds of getting another offer as slim to none in this current climate. If family is not a concern, I say get your foot in the door in a suitable location...then in 2-5 years you can relocate to any open location you want.

Brumus
11-15-2011, 06:49 AM
Well I figured there had to be more locations than she told me. Glad to see DC on the list. That would be my first choice. Unfortunately, my wife wants to stay on the East Coast. If I had a choice, I would go anywhere, even Alaska. I guess I will let the process run its course and hope for the best.

rm6088
11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Well I figured there had to be more locations than she told me. Glad to see DC on the list. That would be my first choice. Unfortunately, my wife wants to stay on the East Coast. If I had a choice, I would go anywhere, even Alaska. I guess I will let the process run its course and hope for the best.

What cities are on "the list"?

MIDeputy
11-16-2011, 12:13 AM
What cities are on "the list"?

I don't know if "the list" is different for entry-level Inspectors, but for the 1811 lateral announcement some of the cities on "the list" included; DC, NYC, LA, SF, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Anchorage, Puerto Rico, and several other locations in California.

Basically, other than DC and NYC all of the locations were primarily in California and/or the Southwest.

Detective455
11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I see a few of the applicants here are awaiting the medical and drug test and of course a job offer. Does anyone know if the drug and medical test are scheduled on the same day or not?

MIDeputy
11-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes, the medical and drug screen are typically conducted on the same day. However, the medical is only administered after you've received a contingent offer of employment. The employment physical is the final step in the selection process.

Detective455
11-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank MI Dep. For the info, hopefully we will get a call soon. I'm keeping the phone close by!

14USC89a
11-19-2011, 12:57 AM
They are both done at the same time... Where are you in the process?

Detective455
11-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Waiting for medical and drug screening

bushgnome
11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
All,

I got "the call" yesterday for a class that starts in Feb.

NeverGiveUp82
11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
All,

Congrats!!! What was your timeline like? Did you already do your medical and MI? Did they tell you your duty location?

I finished up the Background portion about 2 months ago. Hopefully, I'll be able to make one of the classes.

Detective455
11-22-2011, 04:56 PM
All,

Congrats to you! I'm sure its an awesome feeling, I hope you get a duty location you selected or one you are content with....

cb1911
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
All,

Excellent man...congrats!!! Hope I'm in the mix somewhere.

Brumus
11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Congrats! I am hoping I just didn't screw myself. I got a call for the MI, but was unable to schedule a day because I will be out of the country when they wanted to meet. They told me to call when I get back. Just hope I do not get put to the bottom of the pile. They sounded like they wanted to meet immediately, which is why I am concerned.

NeverGiveUp82
11-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I also received a call today to schedule my MI. I can't seem to find any info on what goes on in the MI. Does anyone have any insight? Is it a situational one or personal interview (ie, strengths, weakness, etc). Not sure if they would do either one if my spouse is coming along for the ride. Thanks for any insight.

bushgnome
11-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Congrats to you! I'm sure its an awesome feeling, I hope you get a duty location you selected or one you are content with....

I was given WFO, with a domicile TBD during the academy...which is where I currently live.

bushgnome
11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
I also received a call today to schedule my MI. I can't seem to find any info on what goes on in the MI. Does anyone have any insight? Is it a situational one or personal interview (ie, strengths, weakness, etc). Not sure if they would do either one if my spouse is coming along for the ride. Thanks for any insight.

Its a traditional job interview (I've been through two of them in the past 4 years). I don't recall any situational questions. It is a lot what the lifestyle/job will be like.

14USC89a
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
First off, CONGRATS Bush! Long time coming.

I had a different experience during my 2 MIs. One was similar to the FBI (situational questions) the other one was just regular questions about myself, my family and my military career...

Detective455
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I was given WFO, with a domicile TBD during the academy...which is where I currently live.

That's awesome! Did they give you a date for the medical examine?

14USC89a
11-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Congrats! I am hoping I just didn't screw myself. I got a call for the MI, but was unable to schedule a day because I will be out of the country when they wanted to meet. They told me to call when I get back. Just hope I do not get put to the bottom of the pile. They sounded like they wanted to meet immediately, which is why I am concerned.

I wouldnt worry too much. Just schedule the meet as soon as you possibly can. You will not be thrown to the bottom of the pile for not being avail.

cb1911
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Got a call to schedule my MI for next week. Ready to dive into the "pool"

Detective455
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Got a call to schedule my MI for next week. Ready to dive into the "pool"

Congrats...

14USC89a
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Been in the pool for so long is making my fingers wrinkly... :D

leonarmi
12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi all,
Stumbled across this board and it seems that there are others out there! Original app was in 04 had my information exchange in 07 and heard nothing until just this past August. Attended the assessment center in August 11', poly was in Sept., BI was Sept/Oct, and my MI was 2 weeks ago. Seems like after 6-7 years this is all happening at once. Received good feed back during my MI that things look promising. Wondering what everyone else's experience was post MI. Fingers crossed for one of those classes in 12'.

cb1911
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi all,
Stumbled across this board and it seems that there are others out there! Original app was in 04 had my information exchange in 07 and heard nothing until just this past August. Attended the assessment center in August 11', poly was in Sept., BI was Sept/Oct, and my MI was 2 weeks ago. Seems like after 6-7 years this is all happening at once. Received good feed back during my MI that things look promising. Wondering what everyone else's experience was post MI. Fingers crossed for one of those classes in 12'.

Welcome to the group...and WOW...you are definitely a soldier for hanging in there for nearly 8 years....I must say thou, with your expedited process this past few months, it looks very promising that something will happen in 2012....USPIS is really gearing up for something. As for my experience, my MI will be next week....I too got some positive indications that classes (plural) will be held in 2012. If you read the entire board I think we got a person on here who actually got an offer to begin a BIT class in Feb of 2012...so good luck, and keep those fingers crossed!!!

14USC89a
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

Did they mentioned anything about the next few classes?

Good luck and welcome!

MIDeputy
12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm wrapping up the process for the 1811 lateral announcement that was posted over the summer. When I talked to one of the Inspectors from HQ a few weeks ago, she stated they are planning on running up to 4 Basic Inspector Classes during 2012. She stated that right now they are trying to get all of the lateral hires on board, then they're going to shift their attention on gearing up for the upcoming Basic Classes.

14USC89a
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I wonder if the Feb class is full already...:confused:

leonarmi
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Not sure if that Feb class is full, bt from who I have had contact with they are pretty confident that all 4 of those classes for 2012 are on. So I suppose we all just need to play the waiting game...again.

tsfl89
12-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I wonder if the Feb class is full already...:confused:

From what I've heard from sources inside the service, that class probably isn't full yet. I was told that the offers for classes usually don't go out this early (unless they've changed the practices).

Also, there will be more assessment centers next year for those of you who haven't had one yet.

14USC89a
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I will just keep my fingers crossed for a call next week.

I just realized that my Assessment Center is about to expire too... ugh :rolleyes:

bushgnome
12-03-2011, 12:23 PM
From what I've heard from sources inside the service, that class probably isn't full yet. I was told that the offers for classes usually don't go out this early (unless they've changed the practices).

Also, there will be more assessment centers next year for those of you who haven't had one yet.

I was told offers (for those who got the call for the Feb. Class) were coming this week.....

Me2011
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, six years ago I applied and went through the assessment, poly, bi, mi and then .......hiring freeze in June 2008. So here I go again, another bi in 2010, another poly in Feb 2011 and guess what another mi next week. Not sweating the mi, just hope to get questions answered. Hope to get an offer after the MI, not gonna count on anything....been there done that. cb 1911, I guess we are both going for our MI next week. I had a very positive experience with my first MI. Good luck to everyone and hope to meet some of you in Potomac in February

14USC89a
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
You an I have a similar timeline... Lets keep our collective fingers crossed...

Well, six years ago I applied and went through the assessment, poly, bi, mi and then .......hiring freeze in June 2008. So here I go again, another bi in 2010, another poly in Feb 2011 and guess what another mi next week. Not sweating the mi, just hope to get questions answered. Hope to get an offer after the MI, not gonna count on anything....been there done that. cb 1911, I guess we are both going for our MI next week. I had a very positive experience with my first MI. Good luck to everyone and hope to meet some of you in Potomac in February

cb1911
12-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Likewise Me2011.....from what the recruiter said last week, I don't think the Fed class is full.....if so is sounds as if there might be a class right behind it. I really do think 2012 is the year we all have been waiting for....so keep all fingers crossed and just maybe we all will have a good new year!

leonarmi
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Just wondering from those who had MI's recently how the reception was. Does everyone who has an MI go into the "pool". Had my MI a few weeks ago and it sounded positive. They told me that they were putting together the first few classes for 2012. Is it unreasonable to think I have a shot at one, the whole process has taken 6 years + and now it seems everything is happening all at once.

14USC89a
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I know of at least one guy who bombed his MI. Mostly they are freindly and the INC wants to know if you will be a good fit for the organization. My first one was very formal, my second one was very casual. Just be yourself and you will be alright.

Good luck and let us know if you find any info!

cb1911
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Just finished my MI today. It went really well. I basically was told the same info....4 classes scheduled for next year (2012)....first to start in late Jan or Feb.....the dates of all 4 classes have been scheduled (PI couldn't recall all the dates), but said they are slated to run simultaneously (meaning one class may start while another is still going on). Said that things will be moving very fast from this point on....so everybody strap on your seat-belt and get ready for the ride! At least for now...lol...you know things could change at any moment...lol

14USC89a
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Congrats!!! And thanks for the info. I think the Feb class starts on the 14th...

leonarmi
12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Congrats cb on the MI going well. From what I heard at my MI is that they give you little time between giving you an offer and BIT starting (like maybe 4 weeks). So for all of us going through MI's now I would be surprised if we heard anything before the year is out. I know one person already got an offer for that Feb class so I don't know if the process has changed. I suppose we can all just hope for good things over the holidays.

kd0330
12-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Anyone hear anything about any movement for the Information Exchange for those of us beginning the long process.

cb1911
12-11-2011, 11:46 AM
No I have not heard anything about the IE (Information Exchange). Only that the AC (Assessment Center) will be scheduled sometime in 2012....so I can only assume that the IE maybe be scheduled in 2012 as well....but that is just my assumption.....

jjok
12-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Anyone hear anything about any movement for the Information Exchange for those of us beginning the long process.

Yes if you are a postal employee, otherwise you won't make it.

14USC89a
12-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes if you are a postal employee, otherwise you won't make it.

Do you know why? This would drastically limit the applicant pool...

bushgnome
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Anyone else who recently got a verbal offer for the Feb. class hear anything since?....Its hard to sit on the secret, since I am not going to say anything until I see it in writing. I originally heard offers were coming 2 weeks ago...now I got the " we are working on it, we'll get back to you" message. I really just want to start "phoning it in" at work for the next two months.

cb1911
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Nope not so lucky...lol...but at my MI I was told that things would be moving pretty fast in the next couple of weeks (don't know if that's before during or after the holidays). Have you taken your Medical exam and drug test yet?

14USC89a
12-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Still wating over here...

Detective455
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm waiting also...

leonarmi
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
During my MI they seemed to think that Jan. would be the earliest anyone would hear on Feb training class. It has been a painful few weeks not knowing anything even though the process has been 6 yrs. Bush did they give you any firm info, dates medical exam etc? Just wondering what the rest of us can hope for soon.

cb1911
12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
On another note but totally related...Congress looks like they finally got the message and will focus on the USPS and its current financial situation! This is very positive news going forward...lets see how it turns out.....the article I'm referring to is on CNNMoney...see the link below.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/13/news/economy/postal_service/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

14USC89a
12-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I hope that is good news... If they dont close those facilities, the hole in the pocket gets bigger...

jjok
12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you know why? This would drastically limit the applicant pool...