PDA

View Full Version : Riverside County Sheriff PAT test

pappabacon
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Did anyone else get an invite to the PAT test this month? 1.5 mile, sit-up, push-up style test.

Andrewthetanman
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Did your letter say its 1.5 mile run, pushup situp thing?

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/employment/deputy/physical.htm
shows an obstacle course, body drag, 500yard run.

Id bet your letter is more recent though

SoCalSheriff
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Sounds like the "pre Assessment Physical"

It is administered to get an idea of where you are at physically before starting the academy. They can also use it as a weeding out process to narrow down the applicant pool...Good Luck.

pappabacon
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Andrew, I already did the one on the site (last March), so hopefully this is a next step.

SoCal, have you heard anything about movement despite the freeze?

SoCalSheriff
01-08-2010, 12:12 AM
The only thing I've heard about movement is a rumor of even more deputies moving from patrol back to the courts or the jails. But again, its just a rumor.

When I got hired, we had two of the PAT's you describe after the initial physical agility but before the academy start.

TheSnow
01-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I received an invitation to participate in the PAT test even though I already passed sometime in 2009; shortly after I read of a hiring freeze on this site and how individuals were receiving DQ's left and right. Sure enough I received that dreaded letter.

Andrewthetanman
01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Well I havent taken a physical with Riverside before, but I just got the invitation.
Does anyone know if this is Pass/fail or scored?

nataliej429
01-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Well I havent taken a physical with Riverside before, but I just got the invitation.
Does anyone know if this is Pass/fail or scored?

I did both CD and Sworn academies with RSO @ Ben Clark. It was many moons ago but each event has certain requirements and you either cut the mustard or dont.

Andrewthetanman
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Any idea on what those requirements are/were? :D

nataliej429
01-16-2010, 07:32 AM
ok im digging deep in my cluttered brain for the events. Dont quote me but for sworn you have to do a 1.5 mile run in under 14 ?? I remember while in the academy they really really pushed you for under 12. There was a soild wall climb and chain link fence climb event. you had to go over and do like a 50 foot dash in under 12 seconds ??? I remember situps and pushups and a sit and reach test.

usmc5711
01-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Any idea on what those requirements are/were? :D

Unless it has changed in the past year minimum requirements as follows:
1.5 miles under 14 minutes
40 pushups in a minute
40 sit-ups in a minute
Successfully scale a solid and chain-link wall

Each wall climb is timed and there is a short dash after. I don't remember the time requirements.

bigben12
01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Unless it has changed in the past year minimum requirements as follows:
1.5 miles under 14 minutes
40 pushups in a minute
40 sit-ups in a minute
Successfully scale a solid and chain-link wall

Each wall climb is timed and there is a short dash after. I don't remember the time requirements.

The web-site says they're doing the PAT on the 27th of Jan. It's my understanding the PAT is the 2 walls, the dummy drag, obsticle course & 500 yd. run. Then again, the test you describe, pre-academy test, also spells "PAT". Has anyone called to ask exactly what test they're doing?

pappabacon
01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
The web-site says they're doing the PAT on the 27th of Jan. It's my understanding the PAT is the 2 walls, the dummy drag, obsticle course & 500 yd. run. Then again, the test you describe, pre-academy test, also spells "PAT". Has anyone called to ask exactly what test they're doing?

It was in the email they sent out to the people invited to the test. 1.5 mile run, sit-ups and push-ups. It isn't the usual one.

bigben12
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
It was in the email they sent out to the people invited to the test. 1.5 mile run, sit-ups and push-ups. It isn't the usual one.

Got it. I did that one back in March last year. I surprised they're not having me do it again...

pappabacon
01-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Got it. I did that one back in March last year. I surprised they're not having me do it again...

Are you talking about the other one, fence and all that stuff? Yeah I did that one too. Did you get DQ'd?

bigben12
01-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Are you talking about the other one, fence and all that stuff? Yeah I did that one too. Did you get DQ'd?

No, I've been completely done with the process since about that time last year. They did the pre-academy test for about 100 of us in late March thinking that there would be a class in July or Sept. I'm probably going to end up going a different route (corrections), but good luck.

PS: Just so you're prepared, last year when I did it, 14min on the 1.5 mile got you shown to the door. With the highly competative situation, you need to be under 12 min. The exact quote, if I remember, was, "If you're not under 12min, you better be an Eagle Scout on your background". Also, a min of 50/50 on the push/sits is a must as well. There were MULTIPLE guys there under 10 min. and doing like 75-100 push/sits.

Andrewthetanman
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Just a reminder its tomorrow, ya'll ready?

Ricky_G
01-26-2010, 11:59 PM
good luck in the MUD!!!!

pappabacon
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
How'd it go? I wasn't able to make it.

Ricky_G
01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
you started this thread and you didn't go?

pappabacon
01-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Yes, unfortunately my work wouldn't let me go in late. As much as I want to be a LEO, the job I have now is one I have to keep until that day.

Andrewthetanman
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
Cold and muddy. Everyone applying for Deputy, correctional and welfare fraud investigator was there. at least 300 people, perhaps more.
we got our background packets after we checked out. Due by feb 11th. I dont know if thats a good sign that they are moving to a possible academy, or just having the paperwork already done. 300 bg packets will take a long time to sift through....:(

pappabacon
01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Well best of luck to you in your process sir. Thanks for the info. What did the applicants look like (running time/push ups wise)?

Andrewthetanman
01-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I was in the second group, only saw the first groups pushups and situps.
average pushup was around 50, top guy in mine did 84, beating the first groups top guy of 70.
situps were in the 40s, nothing spectacular, but decent for the cold.

run time varied, but if you were in the 12s or under you weren't very competitive in my group.

mahalom3
02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
The only thing I've heard about movement is a rumor of even more deputies moving from patrol back to the courts or the jails. But again, its just a rumor.

When I got hired, we had two of the PAT's you describe after the initial physical agility but before the academy start.

The only thing we were told by our capt. is they will be hiring more cd for the banning jail. Our push list from court services won't be till 2012. We did get a group of patrol deputies from lake elsinor and jurupa.

pappabacon
02-15-2010, 01:49 AM
They posted a thing on the joinrsd.org website that they were going to have a "one day testing for lateral and pre-service applicants." I wonder if they are using that to fill retirement/attrition holes as they come up.

kiwirain
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Anyone back in backgrounds after receiving a non-select letter? Apparently there is an April 26th academy. Anyone in the running for it?

bigben12
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Anyone back in backgrounds after receiving a non-select letter? Apparently there is an April 26th academy. Anyone in the running for it?

I've heard the same thing. Are u going to a physical assessment next Wed.?

kiwirain
03-12-2010, 12:38 AM
I've heard the same thing. Are u going to a physical assessment next Wed.?

Nope my BI didn't tell me to. I'm doing my poly that day. Last year I did the assessment sometime in March, and this time in backgrounds they are only having me update things not re-do everything. I dunno.:confused: I'm just doing what I'm told.

bigben12
03-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Nope my BI didn't tell me to. I'm doing my poly that day. Last year I did the assessment sometime in March, and this time in backgrounds they are only having me update things not re-do everything. I dunno.:confused: I'm just doing what I'm told.

That's all you can do. The reason I asked is because I know someone who is self-sponsoring in the 4/26 class you mentioned and next Wed. is supposedly the assessment for that.

Flying Pig
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
If you guys get on with RSO, its a great agency with a lot of good assignments.

Andrewthetanman
03-16-2010, 02:14 PM
For those of you who have taken the pre academy physical, how important are the scores?

I got sick for about a week and a half that kinda wrecked me a little. And Im taking the physical tomorrow. I know my numbers wont be as good as the test I did in January because of that. If I'm still in the 70s pushups, 40's situps and in the 12s for 1.5 mile, should I still be fine?

Good luck and look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

bigben12
03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
For those of you who have taken the pre academy physical, how important are the scores?

I got sick for about a week and a half that kinda wrecked me a little. And Im taking the physical tomorrow. I know my numbers wont be as good as the test I did in January because of that. If I'm still in the 70s pushups, 40's situps and in the 12s for 1.5 mile, should I still be fine?

Good luck and look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

From what I've seen on the one I did last year you're good to go on the push/sits. Last year, almost 12 months to the day, they REALLY wanted you under 12 on the run. I've got the opposite problem as I'm around 40/40 on the push/sits, but I should be mid to low 11's on the run. Not long ago, they were looking for, at minimum, 40/40 and 14min. or better on the run. Good luck, I'll see ya there!

kiwirain
03-19-2010, 08:43 PM
How did you guys end up doing? Turns out I have to do the pre-assesment too, but my BI is letting me do it the 31st with a regular physical agility test. I had my poly on the 17th and that went well. Now just waiting....

kdog72
03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, just thought I would keep this relevant to your thread for RSO... pretty large group showed up this morning for the PAT which consisted of sit ups/push ups with a 1 minute time limit. Then we did the 1.5 mile run. For some reason I was expecting a 2 minute time limit but no sweat, did 41 sit ups/ 52 push ups with an 11:49 run. I didn't lead the pack today but not too far behind. We received the background packets due by April 12th. Good luck everyone.

kiwirain
04-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I was there too! Good turn out, and great weather! I did 32 push ups, 52 sit ups, and 13:20. Fortunately for me this was the last thing for me to do. Anyone else getting presented the 7th? I know someone has to be out there lurking! Good luck to us all!:)

Andrewthetanman
04-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I was there too! Good turn out, and great weather! I did 32 push ups, 52 sit ups, and 13:20. Fortunately for me this was the last thing for me to do. Anyone else getting presented the 7th? I know someone has to be out there lurking! Good luck to us all!:)

I seem to be getting the pitch on the 7th. As it gets closer the anticipation is starting to get to me :D

anyone else? and anyone from the the Orange county area?

bigben12
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I seem to be getting the pitch on the 7th. As it gets closer the anticipation is starting to get to me :D

anyone else? and anyone from the the Orange county area?

I was told the "hire" meeting was on Monday the 5th.??? Is this what you mean by "presented"?

Barkley84
04-03-2010, 04:30 AM
What kind of sit-ups are they? What I mean is does someone hold your feet down, are your legs up and knees bent with feet touching the ground, etc.? Just wondering because I'm used to doing them the Marine Corps way.

kiwirain
04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I was told the "hire" meeting was on Monday the 5th.??? Is this what you mean by "presented"?

Yeah the background investigator picks like 5 people they present at the hire meeting and the Chief then picks from them. From what I was told the Chief can sign off on lets say 50 files, but there are only 40 spots, so they then narrow it further. And yes, it's the 7th.

kiwirain
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
What kind of sit-ups are they? What I mean is does someone hold your feet down, are your legs up and knees bent with feet touching the ground, etc.? Just wondering because I'm used to doing them the Marine Corps way.

Standard sit up. Someone holds your feet down no higher than your ankles. Your hands touch your ears and when you go up your elbows must touch your knees. You also can't stop unless in the up position or you're done.

Barkley84
04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Standard sit up. Someone holds your feet down no higher than your ankles. Your hands touch your ears and when you go up your elbows must touch your knees. You also can't stop unless in the up position or you're done.

Good to go, thanks!

bigben12
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Well. Any word?

Ricky_G
04-10-2010, 12:32 AM
It's only been a few days since turning in my packet so I guess it will a couple weeks....

kiwirain
04-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Well. Any word?
I got picked up! Academy 182! Anybody else? I will be seeing you guys at the meeting on the 19th!

Andrewthetanman
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I got picked up! Academy 182! Anybody else? I will be seeing you guys at the meeting on the 19th!

me too kiwirain, ill see you there!

kiwirain
04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
me too kiwirain, ill see you there!

I am so excited! I honestly didn't think this day would come and then I got called up in late February. I got completely re-processed in exactly 1 month!

cnublue18
05-05-2010, 07:25 PM
any rsd officers on here. what kind of schedule do you work? can u go right to patrol from the LEO side? and has there been any furloughs, layoffs?

thanks

im an out of state applicant. current leo looking to make the move out to CA

miggitymack
07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
No, I've been completely done with the process since about that time last year. They did the pre-academy test for about 100 of us in late March thinking that there would be a class in July or Sept. I'm probably going to end up going a different route (corrections), but good luck.

PS: Just so you're prepared, last year when I did it, 14min on the 1.5 mile got you shown to the door. With the highly competative situation, you need to be under 12 min. The exact quote, if I remember, was, "If you're not under 12min, you better be an Eagle Scout on your background". Also, a min of 50/50 on the push/sits is a must as well. There were MULTIPLE guys there under 10 min. and doing like 75-100 push/sits.

The guys doing the under 10 mins and 75-100 push/sits should apply for the FBI then. Hahaha.