PDA

View Full Version : DEA- Diversion Investigator

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Future Fed
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Wait, USMCVET, you got your COE as well?

usmcvet
05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Wait, USMCVET, you got your COE as well?

Yes, sir, I did. I accepted just in case. After all, it's just a COE.

Future Fed
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking was it a call, letter or e-mail? I too interviewed out of the NYFO but have not had any updates on Avue or heard of anything yet.

usmcvet
05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
If you don't mind me asking was it a call, letter or e-mail? I too interviewed out of the NYFO but have not had any updates on Avue or heard of anything yet.

I wouldn't go by Avue. I got a call from a lady at 10:00 this morning with a 202 area code. Give it until this Friday. If you haven't gotten a call by then, call them Monday morning. They are starting to call people so I am sure you will get yours soon.

hoskjo
05-12-2010, 09:42 PM
When you got the call did they give you any indication if they had just started calling? Sorry for the questions, this is one of the most stressful job app processes because I was caught in the hiring freeze bubble last time.

usmcvet
05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
When you got the call did they give you any indication if they had just started calling? Sorry for the questions, this is one of the most stressful job app processes because I was caught in the hiring freeze bubble last time.

She did not tell me how many they are calling. But the fact that they called me, tells me that they are starting to call people. I do not have any special qualifications, so I think they are really starting to call highly qualified applicants. I am willing to bet that most of you will get your call too this week. If not, by next week.

kenny2745
05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Any one test out of newark and get a call?

Future Fed
05-12-2010, 10:54 PM
She did not tell me how many they are calling. But the fact that they called me, tells me that they are starting to call people. I do not have any special qualifications, so I think they are really starting to call highly qualified applicants. I am willing to bet that most of you will get your call too this week. If not, by next week.

Quick question, you stated you do not have any special qualifications, but you stated that they are starting to call the highly qualified applicants. Do you consider yourself highly qualified for this position?

usmcvet
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Quick question, you stated you do not have any special qualifications, but you stated that they are starting to call the highly qualified applicants. Do you consider yourself highly qualified for this position?

Yes, I do. The simple fact that I am one of the people they called first. But like I said, calls are in the horizon so expect them.

usmcvet
05-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Double post.

Sparky28
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
My interview was 9 weeks ago today. Anyone here who also interviewed in St. Louis have any news?

Yes, I do. The simple fact that I am one of the people they called first. But like I said, calls are in the horizon so expect them.

This discussion above confused me, but hey I'm glad you consider yourself qualified despite not having any special qualifications! LOL ;)

usmcvet
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
My interview was 9 weeks ago today. Anyone here who also interviewed in St. Louis have any news?

This discussion above confused me, but hey I'm glad you consider yourself qualified despite not having any special qualifications! LOL ;)

I don't want to start an arguement with you eventhough it sounds like you wanted to start one. The fact that they offered me a COE probably means that I'm qualified.

Future Fed
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
USMCVET,All this is just out of curiosity, if you do not feel like answering that is fine.

Did they say the reason they called you before others (documented on this forum) because your considered highly qualified?

Also if you wouldn't mind explaining why you consider yourself highly qualified? I am just interested in to see what they are looking for in the applicants.

Thanks

usmcvet
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
USMCVET,All this is just out of curiosity, if you do not feel like answering that is fine.

Did they say the reason they called you before others (documented on this forum) because your considered highly qualified?

Also if you wouldn't mind explaining why you consider yourself highly qualified? I am just interested in to see what they are looking for in the applicants.

Thanks

In order not to sound boastful or humbug on this public forum, I will PM you my quals. And no, they did not tell me why some people are being contacted and some aren't.

Sparky28
05-13-2010, 05:14 PM
@usmcvet: Argument? Huh? Oh no, that was not my intent at all - which is why I included the 'wink'. Sorry that you interpreted it as such. There was just some confusion about what you wrote, which was also pointed out by other individuals here. Maybe I could have wrote what I did better, my apologies.

I think that everyone who has made it this far in the process is qualified for sure and deserves to be hired, hands down.

Sparky28
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
double post

Sparky28
05-13-2010, 05:15 PM
triple post

Sparky28
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
sorry - my screen keeps going blank here (having network problems)

hoskjo
05-14-2010, 08:03 PM
I spoke to headquarters today and I was told that there are still writing samples at the contractors and that they were not done with notifications or COE's. The writing samples weren't sent all in one group that is why there is a lag in the notifications. So keep the hopes up

barkalot
05-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Nothing yet. I almost hate mail time! :)

barkalot
05-20-2010, 03:44 AM
I just had a horrible thought. A few days ago the entire stack of mail in my mailbox was my neighbor's- not sure what happened to mine and no way to tell if I got any that day and if I did, whether THAT person sent it back to the post office.

Do you guys think a call to headquarters would be worthwhile at this point? Do they consider these calls a nuisance?

I would hate to have been passed over and not even know it.

hoskjo
05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Hopefully this will help ease some of the stress.....I spoke with DEA Diversion Staffing today and was told that there has been only one round of COE's and that they were for the GS-9. The GS-7 will be coming up in the "next couple" of weeks. So hopefully there are more out there for everybody.

DDixon1000
05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
So hos did they say they are done with the 9's all together, or will there be anymore 9's going out? I applied to both 7 and 9 but never heard anything on the 9. Also the DI's I interviewed with said something about everyone coming out of the academy I thought as a higher grade like an 11 if you make it through, did anyone get any info like that?

hoskjo
05-21-2010, 09:00 PM
From my understanding you don't get a grade increase until your year anniversary and it is non competitive until 12 and to from 12 to 13 you have to submit a packet for consideration that is basically an "I love me" packet that spells out all of what you have done since entering the agency.

I was just told that there has been only one round, but he didn't say if they were through and that the 7's would start in a couple of weeks.

barkalot
05-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I think the difference between 7 and 9 was something like $10K a year!!! I was really hoping for 9 (obviously) since I have a large family and $38K a year was going to be a stretch for us. It will help being completely out of debt, but being they don't pay for a move, I can see that eating up much of my savings. The last move I made was about 800 miles and probably cost me close to $3K. Of course, I'd be happy to get any job under any circumstances. I just hope maybe there is occasional overtime and holiday pay that is not included in the salaries they give.

Future Fed
05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
You stated 38K for a GS-7, also take into consideration COLA, of course it can equal itself out, but if you get moved to a high cost of living office, you get more of a percentage added on to your base pay.

barkalot
05-22-2010, 03:08 PM
You stated 38K for a GS-7, also take into consideration COLA, of course it can equal itself out, but if you get moved to a high cost of living office, you get more of a percentage added on to your base pay.

Yeah, I was just using the "other USA" rate (or whatever it's called). Anyone know how much overtime opportunity there is in this position? Are holidays included in the pay rate?

hoskjo
05-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Unless there is an operation or something going on or duty (not sure if diversion has duty) you will be off on the holidays. There is no paid overtime, you get it in the form of comp time. Look up the "GS Locality Pay" on the link below and you can find the locality percentage of the area you think you might be going. It will have the percentage already figured in on the chart.

http://www.opm.gov/oca/10tables/pdf/saltbl.pdf

hoskjo
05-22-2010, 04:16 PM
double post

barkalot
05-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Comp time doesn't pay the bills, but it's still nice as long as you can take it when you actually want to. I've heard of some situations where due to low staffing, there never seems to be a time you can get it. It also sounds like the position is very family friendly which I like. I think the best thing to do is to maintain my commitment to being being debt-free, so it doesn't hurt to take something that pays alittle less starting out. I really hope this works out, since I only have one other thing going at this time and it's my second choice by far.

Narc-cop
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I dont believe that the calls for GS-9's are complete, so dont worry yourself too much about that. I will attempt to call HQ this coming week and get a better answer. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a 10-point vet preference, 10 years law Enforcement (3 1/2 of which I am currently working for the DEA as a TFO), and I have a Master's Degree. I will be in a GS-9 position and I have not heard anything back yet either. Sometimes you will call and 5 people will give you 5 different answers. I will let you know if I get additional information. Then again maybe I failed the written assignment :eek: , which I seriously doubt

barkalot
05-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I dont believe that the calls for GS-9's are complete, so dont worry yourself too much about that. I will attempt to call HQ this coming week and get a better answer. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a 10-point vet preference, 10 years law Enforcement (3 1/2 of which I am currently working for the DEA as a TFO), and I have a Master's Degree. I will be in a GS-9 position and I have not heard anything back yet either. Sometimes you will call and 5 people will give you 5 different answers. I will let you know if I get additional information. Then again maybe I failed the written assignment :eek: , which I seriously doubt

Are they any guidelines on how they decide between 7 and 9? I have a BA (non-LE) with 12 years small town cop experience.

Please do report what you find out; it would be nice to get some more definitive answers about the wait considering it's been three times longer than what I was originally told to expect. My friends and family are starting to think I'm crazy and just made up that I actually applied, had an interview and was supposed to find out within a month! :)

Narc-cop
05-23-2010, 07:28 PM
From my understanding the GS-9 slot is for those with a Master's Degree or a BS/BA with experience that substitutes for the graduate school. Depending out what type of experience you have, you may still be able to come on as a 9. The 7 is for those with at least a BA/BS with no experience in the field. I have even heard that you can have experience and less then a BA/BS and still come on as a 7.

DDixon1000
05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Another guy at my office applied for the position as a 9 and got an interview the same day as me (we rode together). He said he refused to take a 7 spot and he only has an associates degree backed up with 20 years law enforcement experience. He got his COE on the 14th for GS-9. My creds are far better than his, and I'm a former federal leo, an I haven't heard a thing, go figure right? Must be that writing sample right Narc lol? Also I was told that vet points don't have to be considered under FCIP is that true?

DDixon1000
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
He pointed out the requirments to me and he was right. Apparently you only need a Masters if you don't have the one year of specialized experience. You can use a Masters in the place of that experience or have a combination of education and experience. I copied and pasted them below. I guess that's how he slid in with all his experience.

Qualifying experience for the GS-9 level includes one year of specialized experience at least equivalent to the GS-7 level. Examples include assisting in the analysis and evaluation of investigative data; participating in meetings, briefings and hearings; assisting in the verification of investigative data; preparing less complex portions of findings and recommendations; assisting in conducting routine investigations.

SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: The experience requirement for the GS-9 level may be met by two (2) full academic years of graduate level education or completion of all requirements for a master's or equivalent graduate degree, or completion of all requirements for an LL.B. or J.D. degree.

COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed education and experience may be used to meet the experience requirements.

gauxtgrs
05-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I believe that trying to figure out the process will only make your head hurt. I, too, have over 11 years in law enforcement and support positions (fortunately much more active than support) and have not heard a thing yet. I'm currently in a covered position but am willing to give it up since there's no realistic way I'll be retiring at 57. The fact is everyone who interviewed was qualified and trying to decide what are the deciding factors are pretty much impossible. They may be offering for certain areas first (or at least where they think they'll be placing people). All I know is until they either run the academies or send me a letter then I'm still in it.

As for FCIP from what I understand FCIP is one of the programs where they can go around veteran's preference to make hires. Whether they are or not is anyone's guess.

usmcvet
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
The first class is in November.

gauxtgrs
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
The first class is scheduled to be in November and the second class is scheduled to be in March. Until an actual start date is given everything is merely scheduled at this time. That's why they tell you not to give notice when receiving a COE. Ask the people who were caught up in the hiring freeze when their first academy was "scheduled."

usmcvet
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm not too worried about it. I already accepted a Final Offer with another agency. But you're right, until you get the written final offer, you shouldn't quit your current job just yet.

hoskjo
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have any updates? I don't want to call HQ too often to where I am perceived as a pain in the rear. If anyone has heard anything could you give us an update?

kenny2745
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I know AVUE shouldn't be used to determine anything but for me under the DEA application it says "closed" and does not allow me to check the status.....the waiting game continues

DDixon1000
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I haven't heard anything I checked Avue and it allowed me to check my status which still says reffered. At the top of the screen it says closed. I clicked on that and it brought up an explination which said closed means that the announcment is closed and they are no longer accepting applications. Below that it said once selections are made the vacancy will change from closed to completed. So, I would assume that the closed is ok it just means they won't take anymore apps and until it says completed the process is still ongoing.

Narc-cop
06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
This coming Monday will be 2 weeks since I checked with the recuriter and I will call back on Monday to get an update. Dont think that I am getting any special treatment being that I am a current TFO with DEA cause I think I have been getting less information that some of you all. When i call the recruiter, she told me that she did not get anything back on MINE (when she stated mine, it kind of implied that she may have got some back, but not mine yet). She stated that she would emial someone at HQ and get back with me. A few hours later she stated that HQ told her that they are unable to see the individuals status' there and we would not know until the call of something in the mail. I think that was a dry answer and would have expected more being that I have worked with DEA for 4 years now. There has to be someone that can see my packet on the other end to ensure that something has not been misplaced. Oh well, waiting like the rest of you all are, I will keep you informed if i hear anything.

Mark

hoskjo
06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree with you on that Narc-cop, I have been with DEA since 2003 as a TFO.

hoskjo
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Has anyone heard anything? I have yet to hear anything other than the next selection list went out yesterday and calls are supposed to be going out "soon".

kenny2745
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Still nothing here....but I haven't called the DI office either

Future Fed
06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
For the TFO's/Cops, are you taking this position as a stepping stone for an Agent or do you want to get out of Law Enforcement in general?

hoskjo
06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I have been trying to get on with Diversion since 2005 but the Diversion hiring freeze put a 5 year hold on it. It isn't that I want to get out of LE but rather do something a little different but still be involved in investigations. I have worked with Diversion investigators and really enjoyed the work and the types of cases that came about. I am too old (38) for Agent now and wasn't really motivated to go SA five years ago when I was within the age limit but rather wanted to go Diversion. I plan on making a career out of Diversion if I am lucky enough to get hired.

Future Fed
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Well, good luck, I appreciate you answering my question. I too am hoping to get on as a D/I. The wait has been brutal. My wait= just from interviewing, I couldn't have applied back in 2005 would have been way too young.

barkalot
06-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I have to admit, I'm changing from a state of worry to one of apathy and annoyance. I find it more than slightly disconcerting that with all the resources of the federal government, they cannot seem to process 150 applicants in six months. I've seen mid-size cities process far more candidates in mere weeks with only a few employees dedicated to the task. I'll continue to wait (what choice is there?) and will likely take the job, if offered, but I can't say I enjoy being left sitting on pins and needles by any potential employer.

Patsan
06-10-2010, 03:38 AM
I hear that. Everyone knows that the federal hiring process is byzantine, but this is ridiculous. It's been really fascinating/disappointing for me, but I know that I'm entry-level. I can't imagine how disheartening it must be for some of the really qualified people who have families and stuff. My hat is off to you guys.

usmcvet
06-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I have to admit, I'm changing from a state of worry to one of apathy and annoyance. I find it more than slightly disconcerting that with all the resources of the federal government, they cannot seem to process 150 applicants in six months. I've seen mid-size cities process far more candidates in mere weeks with only a few employees dedicated to the task. I'll continue to wait (what choice is there?) and will likely take the job, if offered, but I can't say I enjoy being left sitting on pins and needles by any potential employer.

Of all the federal application processes that I've been through, this one and the FAMS process have been the quickest (the FAMS slightly quicker).

gauxtgrs
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
What everyone still needs to understand is that there's more to the process than just bringing people on board. No municipal government hires people at the Top Secret security level. That takes time in and of itself. Many other agencies are just looking to bring bodies on board. DEA may need bodies but for a sensitive position like this they just can't bring anyone on board. What bothers most is the words they've been told by people in the agency: stuff like "you should hear something 1 week, month, year, whatever." The fact is no one, not even recruiters, know how long the process takes especially when HR and a contractor is involved. The fact that they were attempting a November academy doesn't mean that it will actually happen. Hopefully it does but if it doesn't the agency will just attempt another date. In the federal hiring process patience is a virtue. Want to get hired easily in a covered position? Apply to be a BOP CO. Doesn't sound appealing? Then just be patient and apply to everything and anything that seems interesting. Unfortunately there's plenty of qualified people who just never get in. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that law enforcement and national security are important hires in the current budget climate.

buffb27
06-10-2010, 07:45 PM
I received a COE today by phone for the position. Unfortunately, I had to turn it down because I am at FLETC right now for a covered position. Good luck to the rest of you all!

barkalot
06-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Figures, just after I post something whining about the lengthy process, I get both a phone call (voicemail) AND email about a COE. :o Unfortunately, I got both after it was too late to call back, so I won't be able to speak to the person until Monday.

I see another person in the western US got a call too, so it appears things are happening in these parts, at least.

I won't be complaining any more!!! In the mean time, my family is warm, dry, well-fed and healthy, so I guess I can't ask for much more especially in these trying economic times.

Patsan
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Barkalot-

If you don't mind me asking, did you put in for GS-7 or 9?

hoskjo
06-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Why Monday? Are they off on Fridays?

gauxtgrs
06-10-2010, 11:57 PM
And the plot thickens. Now we have a case of both a call and an e-mail. Stay tuned.

Seriously, congrats. Good to hear they're moving again.

barkalot
06-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Both 7 and 9.

Briefly, I have a BA and 13 years small-town police experience. I'm over the 37 cut-off for becoming an agent and would plan to retire with DEA as a DI.

hoskjo
06-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Congratulations barkalot and to those who have their COE's.

barkalot
06-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Why Monday? Are they off on Fridays?

I assume.

Wasn't there an earlier post about many field offices working a four-day work schedule if they so choose?

I also heard the federal government has three-day holiday weekends ten out of 12 months of the year. So, combine the two and you've got a four-day weekend almost every month.

I have a friend who is a biologist with the USDA Forest Service and her arrangement is that she has to get a certain number of hours in (40, I would guess) a week and they generally don't really care how she does it. So, if she wanted to work three 12 hour days and one four hour days that would be fine.

Future Fed
06-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Congratulations, on hearing something, I am still patiently waiting to hear something.

gauxtgrs
06-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Let me clarify the federal work schedule. The standard schedule is 40 hours a week, 8 hour days. Most agencies participate in the Alternate Work Schedule (AWS) in which you work 8 9 hour days, 1 8 hour day and you have 1 day off a pay period (which I currently work). Some agencies have 4 10 hour days in a week but that's not widespread. Very few, and I mean very few, agencies allow their employees to work whatever schedule they want as long as they put in 80 in 2 weeks. I've never experienced that in any of the several agencies I've worked for.

As for holidays there are no holidays in March, April, June, August. The holidays in January, February, May, September, and I believe Columbus Day in October fall on Mondays so that will be a 3 day weekend (maybe 4 if you have the Friday off under AWS). Veteran's Day is always 11/11, Thanksgiving is always a Thursday and Christmas and New Years fall whenever they do. Whoever told you that we have 3 day holidays in 10 out of 12 months was being completely untruthful. Plus, this isn't hard to verify as the calendar is on OPM's website.

Believe me there are alot of perks to being a fed but the image that we are always off on holiday is not true. I'm on a 4 day weekend because I'm using vacation time to watch my kids (which is you don't abuse your leave is readily available for situations like this). Hope this clears things up.

barkalot
06-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Let me clarify the federal work schedule. The standard schedule is 40 hours a week, 8 hour days. Most agencies participate in the Alternate Work Schedule (AWS) in which you work 8 9 hour days, 1 8 hour day and you have 1 day off a pay period (which I currently work). Some agencies have 4 10 hour days in a week but that's not widespread. Very few, and I mean very few, agencies allow their employees to work whatever schedule they want as long as they put in 80 in 2 weeks. I've never experienced that in any of the several agencies I've worked for.

As for holidays there are no holidays in March, April, June, August. The holidays in January, February, May, September, and I believe Columbus Day in October fall on Mondays so that will be a 3 day weekend (maybe 4 if you have the Friday off under AWS). Veteran's Day is always 11/11, Thanksgiving is always a Thursday and Christmas and New Years fall whenever they do. Whoever told you that we have 3 day holidays in 10 out of 12 months was being completely untruthful. Plus, this isn't hard to verify as the calendar is on OPM's website.

Believe me there are alot of perks to being a fed but the image that we are always off on holiday is not true. I'm on a 4 day weekend because I'm using vacation time to watch my kids (which is you don't abuse your leave is readily available for situations like this). Hope this clears things up.

Just trying to understand this because we (my family) may consider living apart until things settle down and knowing how scheduling works helps.

So, it sounds like on AWS you get every other Friday (a three day weekend) off and sometimes a four-day if that Friday falls in with one of the Monday holidays off that occur in January, February, May, September and possibly October? Or is it a monthly pay period instead of every two weeks?

If a two-week pay period, isn't that minimally two three-day weekends a month (24 a year)? That's actually better than the 10 three-day weekends a year someone claimed before.

What do they do for Thanksgiving if the following Friday isn't one of the days off? Take it off, then return to work on Friday? Same with Christmas if it falls, say on a Thursday.

Are the typical holidays all off if they fall in the regular work week?

barkalot
06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
BTW, I did some searching at the OPM website, but didn't get far. I wouldn't mind seeing an actual calendar of a typical AWS schedule for 2010. Got a link?

Future Fed
06-11-2010, 10:08 PM
For the recent people who got offers, did your Avue status change at all?

barkalot
06-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm trying to check my status on Avue, but I constantly have trouble signing in and even getting it completely loaded. This isn't a new issue. I'll report as soon as I find something.

gauxtgrs
06-14-2010, 01:28 PM
AWS is only available from agencies that offer it (not a federal requirement). Additionally, expect to wait at least 6 months if not longer before you'll be approved to work any form of alternate schedule. They usually want to make sure you can handle the job before they start giving you extra perks. As I said it's nice having long weekends (although you can choose to take a day off in the week) but you're also working overall longer days which means I generally don't get home until 7pm or later.

As for holidays if you don't want to work the day after Thanksgiving you have to take a leave day. When Christmas falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday the president generally gives us the Monday or Friday off. If it falls on a Wednesday then you have to take leave for any other days (if allowed due to position coverage issues). July 4 poses similar issues. Again we get plenty of holidays and although I get a 3 day weekend each 2 week pay period it's not like I'm working less than 80 hours. With my commute I'm away from home at least 13 hours each day, working 9 of them.

barkalot
06-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, no news yet. I tired several times to call the human resources person who contacted me about the COE, but was only able to leave a message. I'll try again tomorrow hoping that Mondays are less busy for her.

Future Fed
06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
I think you are worrying too much about your work schedule before you even have the job.

nps1federal
06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Future Fed,

In reply to your question as to whether or not the Avue status changed, I just checked and mine did not. I applied in Dec like everyone else, interviewed in early March, COE in beginning of May.

My question to everyone else is, has anyone heard anything on a class date, other than what was posted in the application (Nov 10)?

Congrats and good luck to all those with offers, and good luck to those still hopeful to hear something...

nps1federal
06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Future Fed,

In reply to your question as to whether or not the Avue status changed, I just checked and mine did not. I applied in Dec like everyone else, interviewed in early March, COE in beginning of May.

My question to everyone else is, has anyone heard anything on a class date, other than what was posted in the application (Nov 10)?

Congrats and good luck to all those with offers, and good luck to those still hopeful to hear something...

barkalot
06-15-2010, 02:46 AM
My Avue says "Referral list issued- referred to selecting official" for both 7 and 9. I honestly can't remember what it said before that. Anyone?

VAfedhope
06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I talked to my hiring contact when I couldn't get my medical done sooner than late July and they said that it should not hinder my admission into the Nov. class. So I assume Nov. is still a go. And my BI kicked off today. My Avue only went to 07 not selected. No further change.

barkalot
06-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I talked to my hiring contact when I couldn't get my medical done sooner than late July and they said that it should not hinder my admission into the Nov. class. So I assume Nov. is still a go. And my BI kicked off today. My Avue only went to 07 not selected. No further change.

I'm just starting the initial paperwork. What comes next? How soon does a BI contact me? Is the medical exam at my own cost with my own physician?

My hiring contact states November 1 a potential academy starting date. Pay grade and location assignment will come a month before the academy.

hoskjo
06-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I received my COE today!!! I was told that it would be about a week before I get my email with the SF86/eQuip info. As of today, my AVUE status hasn't changed.

barkalot
06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Congrats, Hoskjo!

So is that a week after you submit your drug statement?

hoskjo
06-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Not sure, she told me that was coming but she wasn't real clear on the timeframe.

Future Fed
06-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Hoskjo,

Was this for 7, 9 or 7 & 9 ?

VanCut2112
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Future Fed;2386620]Hoskjo,

I am new to this thread. I interviewed for this position in Boston in February. The interview went well. As far as the writing sample, my penmanship was horrible. I am not sure they could even read it. This career sounds very
interesting and the training academy sounds like it could be a good experience. I am in an LEO position now
and really want out to explore a different avenue. Any current investigators out there...how do you like the
job?

:)

hoskjo
06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Hoskjo,

Was this for 7, 9 or 7 & 9 ?

It was for a 7

smoluse
06-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Just recieved a call from HR department asking if I was still interested. Conditional offer is supposed to be here in a few days. I was told that the academy is still programmed for November. (I interviewed in March in the Columbus Ohio office. ) The calls are starting to come! good luck to all of you.
Steve

barkalot
06-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Has anyone started eQip (sp?) and if so, is it and the SF86 one and the same? My letter said the SF86 has to be completed in three days? I have most of my background info going back several years, but I think I would be be hard-pressed to get it all entered in that time frame with work and all.

hoskjo
06-21-2010, 11:37 AM
e-QIP is the electronic version of the SF-86. I haven't begun mine yet, but I went to the OPM website and looked at the FAQ's a while back. Here is the link.

http://www.opm.gov/e-qip/faq-e-QIP.asp#q2

Bosoxfan76
06-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Has anyone started eQip (sp?) and if so, is it and the SF86 one and the same? My letter said the SF86 has to be completed in three days? I have most of my background info going back several years, but I think I would be be hard-pressed to get it all entered in that time frame with work and all.

Barkalot - Speaking as a former investigator contracted through OPM, I did the backgrounds for the DEA and as Hoskjo said, it is one in the same. I am assuming this clearance warrents a full scope background SSBI which goes back 7 years and requires everything you can think of to include education (7 years back from the day you fill these papers out, residential coverage, employment coverage, law checks (speeding tickets too), any instances you went to court, foreign visits outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico, etc..its all in there for you. If you are interested in the job and want this background to go as fast as possible, I suggest you make time. You can always save and return to it during breaks while at work. Remember, be honest - its not what you did that will hurt you, it's what you hold back and we find out that will. They want to know if they can respect your integrity level. Hope this is helpful.ABOVE ALL - do NOT leave any gaps in between anything..it all has to run fluidly. If they find a gap, they will have to take time out to contact you and get things sorted out i.e. your BI will be longer than usual.

barkalot
06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Barkalot - Speaking as a former investigator contracted through OPM, I did the backgrounds for the DEA and as Hoskjo said, it is one in the same. I am assuming this clearance warrents a full scope background SSBI which goes back 7 years and requires everything you can think of to include education (7 years back from the day you fill these papers out, residential coverage, employment coverage, law checks (speeding tickets too), any instances you went to court, foreign visits outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico, etc..its all in there for you. If you are interested in the job and want this background to go as fast as possible, I suggest you make time. You can always save and return to it during breaks while at work. Remember, be honest - its not what you did that will hurt you, it's what you hold back and we find out that will. They want to know if they can respect your integrity level. Hope this is helpful.ABOVE ALL - do NOT leave any gaps in between anything..it all has to run fluidly. If they find a gap, they will have to take time out to contact you and get things sorted out i.e. your BI will be longer than usual.

Thanks! Yes, I found out they are one and the same when I got an email today with all the instructions.

I have it almost completed as it wasn't as detailed as some LE backgrounds I've had. I do have a couple questions I need to check with them on, so I sent an email and am hoping for an answer tomorrow. They basically have to do with some clarifications on the information they want.

Mind if I PM you, Bosoxfan76?

Surprisingly my horrible dial-up connection actually cooperated with their system and e-Qip didn't kick me off whenever I got disconnected.

hoskjo
06-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I received my email for e-Qip today and submitted this evening (had one completed when I applied for another position last year).

barkalot
06-23-2010, 03:07 AM
I received my email for e-Qip today and submitted this evening (had one completed when I applied for another position last year).

I just submitted mine a few minutes ago, too! I also have my drug screen tomorrow morning.

They are really starting to move. Any ideas how long before a BI will contact us?

hoskjo
06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I honestly have no idea on that one and if I try to guess I will drive myself crazy. They are moving now like you said, I received my COE last Wednesday, Drug Questionnaire last Thurs and e-QIP yesterday. I guess it will have to move somewhat fast for the November academy.

hoskjo
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Got called this morning to take my drug test went ahead and did it this morning. I have heard that they are not done with the notifications yet.

nps1federal
06-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Ive completed the paperwork and running around (ie. Drug Test, Medical, etc). The only thing that I can see left that I have to do is clear the BI. I know they have initiated it, I have been receiving notifications from the credit bureaus that someone has been inquiring from OPM.

From the instructions I received, the eQip needed to be completed in 3 days, and because we are going for a SSBI (TS Clearance) we needed to include the past 10 years for everything.

Good Luck to all, hope to see you in November.

hoskjo
06-24-2010, 02:22 PM
when did you submit to e-QIP? I was wondering how long it takes for the actual background to get going. I received an email that they found no errors and released my SF86 to OPM

nps1federal
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
I finished the eQip process on June 3rd or so. I received the Fair Credit Reporting act notifications yesterday (6/23), telling me that OPM had been digging around.

DDixon1000
06-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey guys congrats on the offers! Just wondering if that's the last round of COE's or what? Unfortunatley I didn't receive a COE and never heard anything after the interview and writing sample. Anyone have any insight into whether or not that's it?

hoskjo
06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I talked to HQ and she said that they weren't done with the COE's....so I hope that is accurate.

Bosoxfan76
06-25-2010, 01:20 AM
I just submitted my eqip. Can anybody tell me how long it took them to get contacted to do the medical/drug test and when they were notified when the background investigation started? Thanks!

hoskjo
06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't think that there is an order because I received my e-QIP on tuesday submitted it on tuesday night and wednesday morning was called to go take my drug test. The only thing that I am lacking is the medical. BI was submitted but I don't know when they will begin that.

Sparky28
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Congratulations to all those who have received offers. That is great news! I have appreciated the ability to follow this process on here with you all, as well as have the opportunity to share ideas and thoughts.

Hey guys congrats on the offers! Just wondering if that's the last round of COE's or what? Unfortunatley I didn't receive a COE and never heard anything after the interview and writing sample. Anyone have any insight into whether or not that's it?

DDixon1000, have you contacted the STL recruiter at all? I only sent the standard thank you letter afterwards, but nothing else because I don't want to seem pushy. Since it has been almost four months since the interview, I have a "bummer" feeling going on. Especially because the 3.5 hours spent / doing the writing sample is a lot longer and more in depth than the usual interview. Is it wrong to feel like I "deserve" at least some sort of acknowledgement (note: not intending to sound demanding, which is why the word is in quotes)? Even just a short phone call to inform some sort of status?

hoskjo
06-30-2010, 01:29 AM
I have to honestly say that I don't think that it is wrong for an applicant to expect a response after an interview. I can see not hearing anything after an application, but once you get to the interview stage I personally feel that at the minimum a "thanks but no thanks" call or letter is appropriate. It seems that part of the "weeding out" process is the long wait to see who is in it for the long haul, but if there is no intention to move an applicant through the stages, let him or her know so they can move on. I have had this happen to me a number of times and it isn't fun.

Justin65
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Congrats hoskjo about hearing back on your medical being set up.

barkalot
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I got called about my medical yesterday, but they are trying to find somewhere closer than 200 miles.

Bosoxfan76
06-30-2010, 02:35 PM
@ Barkalot - good luck man!!!!

barkalot
06-30-2010, 06:28 PM
It also looks like my BI interview will be sometime early next week.

hoskjo
06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrats hoskjo about hearing back on your medical being set up.
Thank you sir.....How is Kansas? oh...BTW, Chuck Norris called and said he wanted his mojo back.

Bosoxfan76
07-01-2010, 01:32 AM
@ hoskjo - hahahaha

@ barkalot - did they call you and tell you that they are initiating the BI?

barkalot
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
A BI did contact me, but I suspect there might be more than one in my case since I've lived in two states in the last three years. I can't imagine the poor guy having to travel 800 miles to do my BI. :)

Anyone have any insight as to what locations might be open or short-handed? Are there locations which are extremely popular and those which are not? Kind of like EVERYONE in the Border Patrol goes to Texas...everyone in DEA goes to ??? :)

hoskjo
07-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I checked my credit today and saw that it was pulled for my background the day that I submitted my e-Qip, kind of suprised at that. I haven't heard from the Investigator yet but at least I know it is moving. :)

barkalot
07-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Any chance they are rushing to start an academy earlier than November?

hoskjo
07-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Not sure, a couple of days ago I spoke with a friend who is an SA instructor at the academy and he stated that the academy is slated for November. I do know that with Diversion you can be on the job for awhile prior to going to the academy.

barkalot
07-03-2010, 12:40 AM
BI interview went well today. It took less than an hour. Had people tell me they were already contacted.

barkalot
07-03-2010, 12:54 AM
How might something like that work? Would they send you to your location, then have you go to the academy and then back to your location?

hoskjo
07-03-2010, 01:46 AM
I think you would work/process out of the nearest field office and then go to the academy. I don't think any relocation would happen prior to the academy due to the possibility of someone not finishing. At the resident office I was at, they had several SA's and Diversion work there for a while (less than a month) before going to the academy.

hoskjo
07-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Congratulations on the BI interview! I am hoping mine comes up soon.

barkalot
07-03-2010, 02:32 AM
That would be awesome to start before November rather to know you have a job that doesn't start until months later. But then again, I've been unemployed or underemployed for almost two and half years, so I guess I can handle another few months. :)

barkalot
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone have anything to report?

hoskjo
07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Nothing major here, Double checked my credit and DEA pulled on the 23rd of June and OPM pulled it on the 29th. I have my two medical appointments on the 12th and 14th (next week). I haven't heard from my BI yet but I hope that it will be soon. That's it on my end. When you had your BI interview was it to go over the SF86 and/or to address any questions? PM me if you don't want it out in "cyberspace".

Bosoxfan76
07-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Same here - I got my appointments set up for the 12th and 14th as well. I haven't been contacted for my BI either. I hope the process keeps up the momentum before the next holiday strikes haha. It's a hurry up and wait situation literally. I think once I get contacted that my BI has begun, Ill be able to chill out a bit.

barkalot
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Why two medical appointments?

usmcvet
07-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Why two medical appointments?

One day to do your vitals (blood work, urine, etc..) and one day to see the doctor (after all the results come in from vitals).

barkalot
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Makes sense.

I haven't heard back regarding my medical, but the BI is still going on.

hoskjo
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Had my medical yesterday and they did everything right then, just have to go back on Wednesday to have my TB test read. The doctor stated that she didn't see anything that needed following up on, so I guess we will see. Still haven't heard from the BI yet. The waiting continues.

smoluse
07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
does anyone have a list of the field offices? I know there are regional offices, but what about the smaller offices around the country. I am hoping to stay close to cleveland ( I know that sounds funny!) Medical is next week and just recieved notice on drug test for the next day or two!

interesting process!

smoluse
07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I just saw this job posting..looks like they are looking for staff!

http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/Diversion-Investigator-Instructor-1961576.html

barkalot
07-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Looks like that announcement was for internal candidates.

barkalot
07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I'd like that too. I think the major offices are "district" offices. Then there appear to be "resident" offices. The only one I know of is in Boise, which I don't think is listed on the website.

DDixon1000
07-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Well it's the middle of July has anyone received a COE this week? Has anyone heard if they are hiring anymore?

Trini
07-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi, this is my first post. I applied for the the DI position in Dec. also, I interviewed end of Feb and I'm still waiting. I have read all the postings and did not see anyone from MA. If there is any that interviewed in MA and still wainting for a COE, please reply to this post. Waiting to hear a reply for the DEA is insane.

kblakely
07-15-2010, 05:09 PM
My first post here... been on another forum but thought I should look a little further. Went and got my TB test read and talked with the doc about all the lab work. Everything looked good to him so I guess I'll be moving onto the next stage. Still haven't gotten instructions on the e-qip, nor have I heard anything on the BI but hopefully that'll all happen very soon!

barkalot
07-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, definitely no order to things. I had my drug test pretty early and then the BI started and is in full swing (possibly done by the end of the month). I got called about the medical, but when they found out I was probably 3-4 hours drive from either of the cities, they told they would find something closer.

smoluse
07-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I had my BI interview yesterday..The investigator said I was a High Priority case ( I assume we all are) The investigator told me she needs to have everything complete by next wednesday. She has already interviewed several people about me. Medical is next week, drug test was yesterday also. Hank in there, there does not seem to be any order to things.

smoluse
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
list of dea diversion field offices!

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/offices_n_dirs/fielddiv/index.html

VAfedhope
07-16-2010, 09:45 AM
That list doesn't include some smaller offices. Anyone know when we find out where we go? I picked 3 cities when I applied- only 1 of those is on that site. I assume I will get one of the 3 when I get the class date. I'm done with everything and my BI started a month ago so I hope that is done. Is it on to adjudication next?

smoluse
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
That list doesn't include some smaller offices. Anyone know when we find out where we go? I picked 3 cities when I applied- only 1 of those is on that site. I assume I will get one of the 3 when I get the class date. I'm done with everything and my BI started a month ago so I hope that is done. Is it on to adjudication next?

You can click on the state and you should see the residential offices. for example in Ohio, there are offices in cleveland, columbus and cinci, which all fall under the detroit regional office. I hope they try to keep us close to home. I know there is a relocation agreement and they will put us where we are needed, but since they are staffing up I would think they would select people from locations where they need staff.

VAfedhope
07-16-2010, 11:13 AM
The funny thing is there is a dot on the map for the Norfolk, VA office, but neither there nor Newport News, VA are listed but were 2 of the 3 I picked. Did you pick an office when you applied?

hoskjo
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
I haven't talked to a BI yet but I called my Personnel Security Specialist and she stated that the background was scheduled and started on June 28th. Hope to hear soon.

smoluse
07-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I believe the only choices I had were the district headquarters. During the interview I was told to select detroit because that covers the cleveland ohio area. I would not expect the web page to be completely up to date so perhaps that is why your offices are not showing up. Hopefully we will all get an assignment close to home. I really think they would prefer to not have to move people around at this early stage.

Has anyone here gone through the academy? what is it like? what are living arangements? lots of questions still need to be answered.
thanks

barkalot
07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
double post

barkalot
07-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I was told that a location would be offered about one month PRIOR to the academy. Also, didn't someone mention the top performer in the academy being able to pick their spot? At my interview I chose three DISTRICTS, but it seems someone said way back that they will offer you what is open.

moberry42
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Has anyone completed the medical test? What tests are included during the exam? I have finished my drug test and e-Qip I am just waiting on that. Thanks.

hoskjo
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Blood work; vision both Snellen and Color; Hearing; TB as well as a general physical fairly painless and depending on where you go they may do it all in one day with the exception of the TB test reading.

moberry42
07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Was the color vision test the plate version or something different? How was your medical test arranged, through your doctor or somewhere they chose? Thanks again.

Bosoxfan76
07-21-2010, 07:01 PM
hey - the vision tests were for near and far sights and the color vision test was the book of dots..there were numbers and patterns of different colors within a surrounding of other colors...to test for color blindness.

and the doctor is somebody they chose..a third party company who has a contract with most state and federal agencies and departments.

hope that helps.

moberry42
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Well I guess I'll be a DQ. Thanks for the info.

DDixon1000
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Well don't know if it's good or bad because I missed the call but I received a call from DEA with a 202 area code today. He left his name and number and asked me to give him a call back. It's 7:30 here so I won't know what it's about until tomorrow. I haven't received a COE so we'll see. Anyone get any COE's for July? I haven't seen any.

hoskjo
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
I would think that is good because they usually don't call to say "no thanks". I hope that all goes good in the am.

DDixon1000
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Got back with the guy from diversion staffing today who told me he was calling to let me know I passed everything (fingerprints, writing sample) but didn't reach the cutoff score for the interview. Not sure where I went wrong because the guys who interviewed me told me they were referring me and I would hear something in the next few weeks. Staffing said my interview was good just didn't reach some pre-set scoring the referring official had. Then the weird thing was he said don't consider yourself out of the process unless you receive an official letter saying your out. Anyway, the good news is he told me there will be a second announcment toward the end of the year to fill positions for next for the position and he highly recommended I apply again if I receive a letter saying I'm out. So, for those of you who didn't get it this round there will be another announcment later this year so be on the lookout. Weird huh?

hoskjo
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry DDixon.......

VAfedhope
07-23-2010, 08:09 PM
That sounds like great news. Worse case scenario - you are in great shape for the next announcement! Best case- you get picked up soon when someone decides you really were close enough! Good luck!

DDixon1000
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
it is what it is I guess. It was all a little confusing though the way he basically said I was out but not quite yet lol. but the good news is there will be a second announcment toward year end. I have been a cop for years now so I will just keep building experience and try try again! Good luck to you guys who have made it it sounds like it's a really good career!

barkalot
07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, my medical has been tentatively scheduled for the second week in August. Problem is they still don't know where it will be and the two appointments are a day apart. If it's one of the two places they originally wanted me to go to, then this could very well be a 3-4 day experience with three nights in a motel, OUCH!

barkalot
07-31-2010, 12:16 AM
Good news! My medical appointments are definitely scheduled and are semi-local, so no hotel stays!

I'm still not sure what stage my BI is at; nobody from my immediate family other than my spouse has told they have been interviewed. I know my previous employers have been covered and he had plans to speak with family friends in the area, who had been out of state, but I don't think they have been contacted either.

Will they notify if/when I pass or do they wait for the medical to clear?

Does the BI make an actual recommendation or just present facts to someone else who decides?

Bosoxfan76
07-31-2010, 03:00 AM
@ Barkalot -

Great news about your medical scheduling. From what I've heard, all investigations are wrapping up.

Once you get your med evals done, they will read it over with you then send it to DEA HQ.

BI investigators only present facts they find. DEA will be the ones to make decisions..I repeat, BI investigators will not have any say in whether you get the job or not.

barkalot
07-31-2010, 03:31 AM
Cool! You would think after all this waiting it would be easier, but it's not. I think the closer it gets the worse it will be if something falls through. It's like it's all too good to be true, but I am trying to remain positive.

I'm really hoping to go in as a GS9 due to my education and experience, but at this point even a 7 would be better than what I have going on now.

barkalot
07-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Cool! You would think after all this waiting it would be easier, but it's not. I think the closer it gets the worse it will be if something falls through. It's like it's all too good to be true, but I am trying to remain positive.

I'm really hoping to go in as a GS9 due to my education and experience, but at this point even a 7 would be better than what I have going on now.

hoskjo
08-01-2010, 01:18 AM
I spoke with security/suitablility specialist last week and she stated that the DI backgrounds are on 120 day contracts but they are putting a priority on them to get them done quicker. She stated that I am still active in the BI, just to be patient and not be surprised if I get a call in late October to be there in November (pending favorable adjudication)

barkalot
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I received my medical forms today via UPS. I didn't have a chance to read them thoroughly but it looks like the physician completes a form at the end, so maybe I'll know right away whether there is an issue?

I also recently contacted my Personnel Security Specialist (PSS) who advised DEA has NOT received my background yet so it's still not complete. The BI had hoped for end of July, but with vacations and people being busy maybe he ran into snags. The PSS estimated it might not be completed until the end of August or even early September.

barkalot
08-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Any reports? Is everyone just in limbo? :)

smoluse
08-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Any reports? Is everyone just in limbo? :)

Yes..limbo, I completed everything last week. I had to return to the doctor because they forgot to do one of the eye tests. No big deal, but it tells me that the agency is actually looking at the reports as they come in and making sure the forms are complete. I would love to get accepted and be offered a location so I can get on with my future. I have been unemployed (or under-employed) for a year and no recovery in sight (at least not in the architectural design industry.) So, the wait continues! I just hope I am offered a position close to home, at least initially.

hoskjo
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Limbo here as well.....just crickets chirping. I have everything completed on my end, just waiting on my background.

barkalot
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Is this bad news for us? Just found it.

Utah Republican Senator Orrin Hatch has introduced a bill that could slim the government's workforce. The Reduce and Cap Federal Workforce Act would bring down and freeze the number of civilian feds at February of 2009 levels. Agencies would need to make those reductions through attrition. The bill would exempt the Defense and Homeland Security departments and some intelligence agencies. Hatch says the government has become bloated, and his bill would cut it down to size.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?sid=2022811&nid=15

Of course what are the chances of a Democrat-controlled Congress voting for ANYTHING that reduces government or even remotely contributes to unemployment?

Bosoxfan76
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I think at this point, everybody is in limbo. I heard we are to report (if we get offered) to school Oct 30th as class starts Nov 1st. So they will probably start notifying people at the earliest mid Sept up to the end of Sept. It is to my understanding that they have to let us know at least a month in advance to enable us to get our affairs in order.

@ barkalot - I suggest that you not worry yourself too much. Reading too much into things does not help the time pass any faster. Try taking your mind off this as much as possible because if you get this job, you will need all the brain space humanly possible haha.

barkalot
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Bosoxfan76, I know what you mean. It's like a roller-coaster ride sometimes. I feel good and relaxed about things, then see something like this, and I start worrying that it's all too good to be true.

I did get kind of a new job. I was on-call with a place with hours being either feast or famine (averaging about 20 a week). Now, I am permanent part-time with 32 hours a week, an hourly raise and partial benefits.

It should help with passing the time in that I have something to focus on and am doing something productive.

barkalot
08-12-2010, 01:28 AM
I had some of my physical today...it went well. I have the follow-up Friday.

hoskjo
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Good news Bark....hope all goes well

barkalot
08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Physical stuff finished. As far as I know it all looked fine with some advice to take fish oil, exercise and lose weight, which is about what I expected. Hope DEA doesn't hold my cholesterol numbers against me! :)

barkalot
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Interesting website:

http://www.goodmedicinebadbehavior.org/index.html

smoluse
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Interesting website:

http://www.goodmedicinebadbehavior.org/index.html

Thanks.. some good reading!

VAfedhope
08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I just read on another forum that DEA just implemented a hiring freeze. I feel sick to my stomach! All I was waiting for was adjudication, now what?!?

hoskjo
08-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Haven't heard that one...just talked to the Chief at Diversion Staffing yesterday and he told me that everything is going good and that they are waiting on my background. Got a call from my background investigator today and will meet with her next wednesday. Also just spoke to my recruiter and she stated that she has been sent another round of applicants to set up for interviews in the coming weeks. I am trying to stay positive because I haven't been given any official notice. BTW, spoke with a buddy who is an instructor at the Academy and he said he hadn't heard anything about it either.

barkalot
08-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I think I found the forum mentioned and this is supposedly a "true freeze" as opposed to a slow down.

It seems I remember someone here mentioning DEA losing two DIs a week (100 a year), so how can they maintain by sending through a class of 50?

If this is true, do we get "warehoused" and hired once they start up again or do we expire at some point?

I guess it's good I have tried to be cautiously optimistic about this whole thing. I also took a new job and will be working diligently to turn it into something better.

smoluse
08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
I just read on another forum that DEA just implemented a hiring freeze. I feel sick to my stomach! All I was waiting for was adjudication, now what?!?

what forum? can you provide a link? thanks.

barkalot
08-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Here's the one I found:

http://www.911jobforums.com/showthread.php?63156-DEA-Hiring-Situation

barkalot
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Here's the one I found:

hoskjo
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I have personally talked with the Diversion Chief at HQ, my recruiter and an instructor at Quantico and they said that they hadn't been told or notified of any freeze. CNN ran a story this morning about federal agencies looking to trim 5% of their budgets, but no mention of a freeze. Another thing as well, google "DEA Hiring" freeze and the only thing that pulls up is the "911" forum website and articles from 2006/2007. Unless we are told directly, I would take that forum info with a grain of salt. I was caught in the hiring freeze in 2005 and there was no question about it, the day that it was implemented almost everyone knew. When I talked to the recruiter today she stated that she was sent a list of names today to interview for Diversion in the coming weeks. If I am wrong on this I apologize, but I find it odd that if there is a freeze no one knows about it and I can't find anything about it other that the mention on the other forum.

barkalot
08-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Here's the one I found:

barkalot
08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Here's the one I found:

barkalot
08-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Sorry about the multiple posts- not sure what happened...

hoskjo makes a reasonable argument, but mentally I am preparing for bad news and am going to start my new job with enthusiasm and interest rather than just as a way to pass the time until something better comes along.

The 911 also spoke of 5% cuts which someone said almost always involves reduction in personnel.

Of course I am a bona fide pessimist- just ask my wife! :)

hoskjo
08-20-2010, 01:07 AM
We'll just have to wait and see....if I get caught in another freeze, I am going to take it as a definitive sign that I am not meant for the job.

barkalot
08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
I have a good friend with whom I went to the police academy. I was hired pretty quickly and he was not. He constantly ran into hiring freezes, background investigators being fired while doing his background, and his employment files coming up missing. He almost gave up but didn't and he finally got hired as a reserve and later moved into a full-time spot. He rose to the rank of sergeant before having some job and medical issues issues that forced him out.

hoskjo
08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
I just verified with HQ that any freeze by DEA won't affect Diversion due to it's budget coming from a different funding source and I was told that we are good and moving forward.

VAfedhope
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Thank you guys for verifying!!! I hope they continue to budget plan for our hiring! Now I want to know when we will find out our city assignments. My HQ contact never responded to my email about my progress, city and class date.

barkalot
08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
That's hopeful news. I guess we have no choice but to wait it out and hope for the best.

In cases like these, it sure would be nice to have ONE person that we could contact. As of the start I have been in contact with at least four people who handle various aspects of the hiring process. I guess everything is specialized these days.

hoskjo
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
I spoke directly with the Diversion Staffing Chief (whose name is at the bottom of your COE) and that is who I have spoken with everytime I have called HQ. The only other person is my PSS for my background. If I can't get in touch with the Chief of Staffing, I will call my recruiter but she really is hard to get a hold of.

smoluse
08-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I spoke directly with the Diversion Staffing Chief (whose name is at the bottom of your COE) and that is who I have spoken with everytime I have called HQ. The only other person is my PSS for my background. If I can't get in touch with the Chief of Staffing, I will call my recruiter but she really is hard to get a hold of.

thanks for the information.. I am hopeful that this continues to move forward and I look forward to meeting you all at the academy!

barkalot
08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Self-edited

gauxtgrs
08-27-2010, 09:31 AM
No offense but you're thinking about this process way too much. Also, some things probably shouldn't be made public.

miggitymack
08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
lol! - - - -

moberry42
08-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Good news for all of you who have finished everything and haven't heard anything yet. That means you are still in the process. Yesterday I opened the dreaded letter in the mail saying they "regretted to inform me" that I was no longer in the application process. Its to bad I really wanted this job. So if you have finished your BI and medical tests keep hope alive. And if you are wondering what your status might be, compared to my feedback; my BI was completed in late-July and my medical exams were conducted 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately they have an agency-wide rule that no matter what position (carrying or non-carrying) you cannot be color deficient. So that was my down fault. Good luck to you all.

VAfedhope
08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Oh Mo! I'm sorry to hear that! Good luck in your next endeavor.

hoskjo
09-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Sorry to hear that Mo, good luck to you.

barkalot
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
moberry42, i know it's difficult but keep trying. It's all a numbers game; the more attempts, the more chances of success.

smoluse
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
moberry..Sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing your information, we all appreciate the update and wish you well as you continue down the road. Everything happens for a reason. Best of luck to you.

barkalot
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Anything new?

Motor5
09-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Two people posted on the Federal Soup forum that they got their final offer by phone yesterday.

barkalot
09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Do you have a link?

barkalot
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
I found it. Federal Soup is really easy to navigate.

smoluse
09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I am still waiting.....its way too quiet for me!

hoskjo
09-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I called my Security Specialist last week and I was told that my BI had been received and forwarded to the hiring unit....I hope that is a good sign.

smoluse
09-24-2010, 07:06 AM
I called my contact at DEA and was told that the agency is continuing with the selection process and sorting out the location assignments. I was told that I should call back if I do not hear anything in a few weeks. While I am encouraged that I am still in the process, I am concerned about the two week time frame since I am hoping to get selected for the November class. I was conditionally selected as a GS-7 so I am guessing I am pretty low on the priority list. I am very impressed with the people at DEA. They always return my calls and seem to be as helpfull as they can be under the circumstances.

edit 9/27 just recieved a form to select location preferences..7 cities to choose from. .. unfortunatly none of them are close to home so a move will be required. I hate having to sell a home in this market. oh well...it is what it is.

nps1federal
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Good luck to all, I was starting to worry the other day when I still hadnt received anything, but then simply realized that the Fiscal year starts Friday. I would imagine that notifications will be made shortly there after.

Except for the few that may have gotten final offers, I think that everyone is probably in the same boat. The ones that have gotten offers may be from a small office somewhere with little local interest. The bigger offices may have to pick and choose from the larger pool.

Again, good luck to everyone, I hope to see you all in the training.

Double123
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
smolusa. What are the 7 cities you can choose from ?

smoluse
09-30-2010, 06:06 AM
can you PM me? or try me at "username"@msn.com

Motor5
10-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Aweful quiet on this thread. Anyone heard anything lately?

smoluse
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Aweful quiet on this thread. Anyone heard anything lately?

I think everyone has migrated to federal soup . com

lots of info there.

Sparky28
11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Eight months after my interview and I just got the COE call today?! Wow! :eek: :D

I mostly had stopped thinking about this.

Now over to Fed Soup.....

Gator cop
01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I know that this position topic has mainly been focused at the Fed Soup site, but unfortunately I am not a member of that site and thus can not post over there. Regardless, I wanted to share that I just got a final offer and will be heading to Quantico in Feb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone who is a member of Fed Soup is free to post this information on that site.

audi0xpl0de
01-13-2011, 04:18 PM
What location did you get?

Senior Chief
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Applied to the recent announcement, found this while looking for some answers. From a budget proposal submitted in 07 or 08.

Item Name: Conversion of Diversion Investigators

Budget Decision Unit: DCFA

Strategic Goal & Objective: Goal II; Objective 2.2

Organizational Program: Diversion Control Program

Program Increase: Pos: 0 Agents: 0 FTE: 0 Dollars: $11,588,000

Description of Item

Pending approval by the Office of Personnel Management, DEA will begin converting Diversion Investigators (DI) to criminal investigative series positions. The conversion process will be phased in between FY 2007 and FY 2016. DEA requests $11,588,000 to fund the FY 2008 cost of DI conversions.

Justification

The current DI workforce assigned to DEA’s Diversion Control Program performs periodic audits and inspections of DEA registrants, such as pharmacies, physicians, and wholesale or retail drug outlets, to assure compliance with regulatory requirements for the handling of controlled substances. As diversion started occurring at the retail level, the majority of DI investigations are initiated as a result of intelligence concerning actual diversion rather than through cyclical or unscheduled audits. Between 65 and 75 percent of the DI investigations are criminal/complaint investigations.

DIs are limited in the type of activities they can perform. When front-line law enforcement activity is required during a diversion investigation, Special Agents must become involved to perform the enforcement functions needed to develop evidence of criminal violations. Such a requirement can result in delays in developing cases for prosecution, and quality of the investigation can suffer because Special Agents may lack experience in conducting diversion investigations.

DEA believes that the best use of Diversion Control Program resources would be to establish a hybrid occupational series. The duties of the current DI position include maintaining liaison with all levels of the drug and chemical registrant population, conduction regulatory investigations, and conduction criminal investigations with the assistance of Special Agents. The new series would combine key aspects of the DI (GS-1801) and Criminal Investigator (GS-1811) positions. The new hybrid position would be a law enforcement officer position with law enforcement duties and benefits. The expertise required of the hybrid DI position includes knowledge of the CSA, criminal investigative techniques, arrest authority, and the ability to give Miranda warnings, issue search warrants, and conduct undercover work.

Once the new series is established, qualified GS-1801s would be converted to the new hybrid Diversion Investigator series, and future GS-1801 vacancies would be filled using the new hybrid DI position. Over the next 10 years, DEA projects the number of hybrid DI positions to be approximately 472. It is expected that only 18 to 20 percent of the current DI workforce would both qualify and be eligible for placement in the new hybrid positions. Those who chose not to (or are ineligible to) move to the new series would remain in the GS-1801 series performing regulatory work. To be eligible to convert to the new hybrid position, employees must meet the maximum entry of a law enforcement officer position, which the Department established as age 37. Additionally, employees must meet the physical requirements for law enforcement officers.

In the first year of implementation, or FY 2007, 70 of the current on-board DIs would be converted to the new series, with preference given to those who are with one year of their 37th birthday. The DIs would be required to attend one of the two law enforcement officer training courses during the fourth quarter of FY 2007. In FY 2008, an additional 42 on-board investigators plus 40 new DIs would be hired in the new series. In FY 2009 and beyond, 40 DIs would be hired in the new series based on the historical attrition of DIs.

The Justice Management Division’s Budget Staff, in conjunction with DEA, determined the overall costs of implementing the new series, including the impact on the Diversion Control Fee Account. The total supplemental cost to hire DIs in the new series is approximately $13 million over FY 2007 and FY 2008. This enhancement funds the FY 2008 cost of DI conversions. Hybrid DI/law enforcement positions will require additional funding for law enforcement pay, LEAP, and law enforcement benefits. In addition, converted positions will require law enforcement training and the proper supplies and equipment to conduct investigations.

Impact on Performance (Relationship of Increase to Strategic Goals)

Diversion Control Program performance measures include the number of administrative, civil, and criminal sanctions taken against DEA registrants and non-registrants who illegally divert controlled substances or listed chemicals. Between 65 and 75 percent of the DI investigations are criminal/complaint investigations. Law enforcement authority is necessary to conduct criminal diversion investigations and ultimately take criminal sanctions against those violating the law.

trailblazer610
04-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Thinking about applying, what GS do they top out at? Also, I know that you probably sign a mobility waiver, but do they try and keep you in your area or is it guaranteed that you'll be assigned elsewhere?

Jim1648
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I wonder what has happened between then and now? I guess if it was just a proposal, perhaps it will be a go or perhaps it will be rejected. Given the current economic situation, maybe it would be a go if they get the funding in the future. In these times of doing more with less, I rather doubt that this would be the very top priority. Maybe I am being too cynical, however. It is also possible that even if this isn't an 1811 now, perhaps they will only hire people that would be eligible in the future. I will probably apply, but since I am 50, with only local (city and county) police experience, I am clearly not qualified to be an 1811.

For the younger guys and gals that want to be DEA 1811s this could also be a predicament. They may want to apply hoping that this is a path to a DEA 1811 slot, but the agency might be reluctant to train people for this only to have them leave for a possible 1811 slot elsewhere.

espantoon
04-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Thinking about applying, what GS do they top out at? Also, I know that you probably sign a mobility waiver, but do they try and keep you in your area or is it guaranteed that you'll be assigned elsewhere?

GS-13 is the top rate; you'll be told first office before you EOD, no guarantees as to where you will go but at least you can take the job knowing your first assignment.

It is also possible that even if this isn't an 1811 now, perhaps they will only hire people that would be eligible in the future.

This idea to convert the DIs didn't go through. Currently, there are groups dedicated to diversion activities that have full-time special agents assigned to carry out the enforcement activities. The DI program also recruits individuals who can contribute to DEA but don't meet the requirements for the SA position for one reason or another. I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

For the younger guys and gals that want to be DEA 1811s this could also be a predicament. They may want to apply hoping that this is a path to a DEA 1811 slot, but the agency might be reluctant to train people for this only to have them leave for a possible 1811 slot elsewhere.

DEA can't stand in the way of someone's career aspirations. There was recently a DI who went to Quantico to become a SA, so it does happen. If a DI signs an agreement for a minimum service to cover the costs of training, no one can whine if they try to get another job after fulfilling the obligation. It's no different than 1811s jumping ship to their dream agencies once they get some time on the job.

OIG1811
04-15-2011, 02:34 AM
I've known several DI that have used their experience to transfer to 1811 positions outside of DoJ

secondchance1
04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I've known several DI that have used their experience to transfer to 1811 positions outside of DoJ

Did they then have to go through "another" investigators school, or does the 3 month DI training course suffice...?

audi0xpl0de
04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Completely different animals. You'd still have to attend both academies.

Kilo1
04-15-2011, 04:26 PM
DEA can't stand in the way of someone's career aspirations. There was recently a DI who went to Quantico to become a SA, so it does happen. If a DI signs an agreement for a minimum service to cover the costs of training, no one can whine if they try to get another job after fulfilling the obligation. It's no different than 1811s jumping ship to their dream agencies once they get some time on the job.

espantoon,
I applied to the recent postings but I'm curious on what the minimum service commitment is after training? Does anyone have this information??

espantoon
04-15-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure what the DI paperwork says. Typically, it's two years of service to cover the costs of training. If someone decides to jump ship before the time is up, they may be required to repay the costs of training.

Mostly it's motivation to keep people from getting one job and springboarding right to another. If you think about it, though, many places won't take someone with just six months of experience anyway, so I don't look at it as too much of a career hindrance.

sln78
04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry if its been asked already... I know you don't get LEAP w/ this, but do you get Locality Pay?

Thanks

Kilo1
04-15-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure what the DI paperwork says. Typically, it's two years of service to cover the costs of training. If someone decides to jump ship before the time is up, they may be required to repay the costs of training.

Mostly it's motivation to keep people from getting one job and springboarding right to another. If you think about it, though, many places won't take someone with just six months of experience anyway, so I don't look at it as too much of a career hindrance.
espantoon, thanks for the info. I have a GOOD friend who is a DI (GS-13) so they will be my go to for information. If there is anything I can pass along to the board, I'll be sure to!

Kilo1
04-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Sorry if its been asked already... I know you don't get LEAP w/ this, but do you get Locality Pay?

Thanks
I believe locality pay is given to all federal employees.

espantoon
04-16-2011, 04:56 AM
That's right, all federal employees get locality pay. You'll get the base rate plus locality pay, and then any overtime/shift differential/holiday pay gets added to that.

OPM keeps a website with the 2011 (same as 2010) pay rates with locality built in for the different metro areas. If you don't see the city you're looking for, you get lumped in with the 'rest of the US' rate of around 14%.

ne.fitness
04-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Threw my hat in the ring for this position. Question though... For this hiring process, does anyone have any idea on the typical time range for individuals getting hired? Is it like Criminal Investigator positions that take between 12 months to next Nevuary :) OR is it a quicker process? Thanks

audi0xpl0de
04-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I believe the announcement stated a decision would be made within 80 days which is extremely fast.

Kansas_LEO
04-17-2011, 08:55 PM
We had nine deputies hired for the last academy class and all but one had a bachelors degree. LEO positions in this area are pretty competitive.

Intell1981
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
This thread has been quiet for weeks. Anyone have some news?

tnm78
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
No new news here...

RUMotarded
05-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Nada here....check the DEA applicant website occasionally, only says "You have no job offers at this time". 80 days until selection......tick tock tick tock

Intell1981
05-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Heard on FederalSoup that we should hear something this week, take that with a grain of salt...

tnm78
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Just received an email stating I have been determined to be qualified for the position and to monitor my email regularly for additional notifications. Unfortunately I wasn't rated "best" or "highly" qualified, so I'm doubtful this will lead to anything fruitful in my case. Anybody else receive similar message?

secondchance1
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I received that email as well...

Should it have been indicated in 'that' correspondence if we were "best or highly qualified?"

Intell1981
05-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Haven't recieved that email yet....

cnublue18
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Just received an email stating I have been determined to be qualified for the position and to monitor my email regularly for additional notifications. Unfortunately I wasn't rated "best" or "highly" qualified, so I'm doubtful this will lead to anything fruitful in my case. Anybody else receive similar message?

+1 just got email too. Good way to start weekend.

secondchance1
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
+1 just got email too. Good way to start weekend.

Good deal. Does it specify your level of qualification...or just say your qualified and the GS level...?

cnublue18
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
It only says qualified and my gs level. I wasn't rated best or highly qualified. It says in announcement only those found as best qualified will be sent to hiring official. Maybe this email wasn't as great as I first believed.

secondchance1
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
It only says qualified and my gs level. I wasn't rated best or highly qualified. It says in announcement only those found as best qualified will be sent to hiring official. Maybe this email wasn't as great as I first believed.

Mine is the same - I have no idea if it's supposed to state the "degree" that you are qualified or not... I would think that being that you (we) qualified at the GS-11 level as opposed to GS-7/9 we are more qualified than less...?

cnublue18
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Mine is the same - I have no idea if it's supposed to state the "degree" that you are qualified or not... I would think that being that you (we) qualified at the GS-11 level as opposed to GS-7/9 we are more qualified than less...?

This may be initial qualification. Perhaps we will now be rated from here.

nmc
05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I didn't recieve anything...if that makes anyone feel any better

tnm78
05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I called to inquire about the status of my application and was told that they haven't made it to "those candidates" yet. She started off by asking me what position and pay grade I applied for. When she said those candidates, I'm not sure if she meant that they were working their way from, say, GS-11 first, then GS-09 after, followed by GS-07 applicants or not. She did say that they should have an answer by this time next week.

echoshot33
06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
anybody who is not a vet hear anything yet?

Senior Chief
06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Still waiting on the next step. However I am a vet. Only info I received so far was the acceptance letter at GS7

tnm78
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Received an email this morning stating I didn't qualify for the 09 position. Haven't heard anything else. Others?

secondchance1
06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Received an email this morning stating I didn't qualify for the 09 position. Haven't heard anything else. Others?

I was deemed "qualified" - via email back in May.

Have heard 'nothing' since then.

tnm78
06-20-2011, 08:54 PM
I was deemed "qualified" - via email back in May.

Have heard 'nothing' since then.

I received the same email back then, but I must have been bumped off the list due to more qualified applicants. I guess no news (in this case) is good news!

secondchance1
06-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I received the same email back then, but I must have been bumped off the list due to more qualified applicants. I guess no news (in this case) is good news!

Good point!

Senior Chief
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Same here, still standing I guess, no news is good news!

secondchance1
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
http://r3.cygnuspub.com/files/cygnus/image/OFCR/2011/JUN/500x500/pharmacyshootings_10284125.png

YAPHANK, N.Y. --

Four people killed during a pharmacy store robbery in suburban New York City, including a teenager due to graduate high school this week, were shot at very close range by a dangerous suspect intent on stealing painkillers, a police official said Monday.

Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer also warned physicians and the owners of small drugstores in the area to be vigilant about anyone "expressing an urgent need for prescription painkillers." He said added police patrols would be deployed near small pharmacies until a suspect is apprehended.

Dormer called Sunday's killing at the Long Island pharmacy "one of the most heinous, brutal crimes we have ever encountered."

The shootings happened at about 10:20 a.m. inside Haven Drugs in Medford, a family-owned pharmacy in a small cluster of medical offices about 60 miles east of New York City. Police identified the two employees who were killed as pharmacist Raymond Ferguson, 45, of Centereach, and store clerk Jennifer Mejia, 17, of East Patchogue.

Bryon Sheffield, 71, of Medford, and Jamie Taccetta, a 33-year-old woman from Farmingville, were identified as customers who were also slain.

"The victims whose lives were cut tragically short were killed for no apparent reason and without warning," Dormer said. "They offered no resistance and did not appear to provoke the assailant. They were all shot at close range."

The suspect appears in still photographs from the video released by police; he's a gaunt man in his late 20s or early 30s, about 5-foot-8 with a thin build. He has dark hair, was unshaven or has a dark beard and mustache and wore a dark hooded sweat shirt, dark pants and a white baseball cap.

He stole painkillers and killed everyone in the shop before fleeing with a black backpack.

Police have offered a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest of the man, whom detectives described as "extremely dangerous." Dormer said the department had already received a "substantial number of tips which detectives are working on right now."

Dormer described the quality of the video, which was not released, as "excellent video and it's a good view of what happened." He said the four victims were shot at close range "very suddenly and very quickly ... over a few minutes."

The veteran officer, who came out of retirement to be police commissioner in 2004, was asked to compare the killing to others he has investigated.

"You have four innocent people, two workers on a Sunday morning in a nice, quiet neighborhood and died viciously and violently. Two customers walk into the store, they're not thinking it's their last day on earth and they're killed. This is very unusual."

He said there had been no apparent robbery pattern involving pharmacies preceding Sunday's massacre.

Mejia, who worked part-time at the pharmacy while attending Bellport High School, was due to graduate Thursday. Friends at the shooting scene Sunday described her as "a walking angel on earth." Others said she was planning to attend community college next year.

Bellport High School assistant principal Brian Norton said Monday that grief counselors were available for students.

"She was an absolute sweetheart," he said. "A very lovely young lady looking forward to her future."

Senior Chief
06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Proves what people will do for this stuff. Maybe consider allowing DI's to be armed while performing their duties?

secondchance1
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Proves what people will do for this stuff. Maybe consider allowing DI's to be armed while performing their duties?

Yep.

Provided one has a legal concealed carry permit - the old saying "better to be judged by 12 than carried by six," works for me.

molea72520
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone contact HR lately to see if there is any movement? Hopefully today, or by the end of this week we can get some clarification.

I too have not had any email updates regarding this position.

secondchance1
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Couple people on another forum received new emails confirming "qualified" status today.

bkc2a
06-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I received an email on 06/28/11 stating I was qualified for the position.