PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

frankandhonest
08-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I just received a notice for jury duty and was wondering if law enforcement officers are excused from serving on a jury.

P.S. I'm actually looking forward to jury duty, I guess I'm in the minority.

JPSO Recruit
08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
For the most part we are excused from jury duty, since no defense attorney would want a cop on the jury for obvious reasons.

DACP
08-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Must be nice, no exception is made for us. Had to serve 2 years ago, prosecution wanted me, defense wanted to exclude, judge said stay, then they did this lottery thing and I was not selected, oh well.

SgtCHP
08-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Sworn peace officers actively working are exempt from jury duty in CA. Retired officers, however, are jury meat. No exemptions! I have been called every year since retirement and they will not grant a waiver. So, I go, listen to the briefing and am generally dismissed within the hour.

FLIrishK9
08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Florida State Statutes prevent a Deputy Sheriff from serving on a jury by calling Deputies "unfit", others are exempt.

PhilipCal
08-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I just received a notice for jury duty and was wondering if law enforcement officers are excused from serving on a jury.

I'm a little confused. Your profile states you're an Associate Pastor. Are you either a Regular or Reserve LE Officer as well? If so, it's almost a given you'd be excused from serving on a Criminal Jury. OTH, LE Officers often serve on Civil Juries.

417Lt
08-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Sworn peace officers actively working are exempt from jury duty in CA. Retired officers, however, are jury meat. No exemptions! I have been called every year since retirement and they will not grant a waiver. So, I go, listen to the briefing and am generally dismissed within the hour.
Effectively, this will almost always be true. The summons actually says though that only PC 830.2(a) (the CHP) is completely legally exempt. I'm (e) and I've served twice.

Smurfette_76
08-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I could. No way in the world a defense attorney wants me on the stand. Used to make my mama mad that she'd be excused when she WANTED to serve...because I'm an Officer as is my husband.

My Daddy has been booted because of me, as has my sister.

Retired96
08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I was called for jury duty last July, my group was taken to the courtroom, upon entering I see that the DA is my neighbor accross the street for the past 20 years. Needless to say I was excused for what turned out to be a 6 week murder trial.

crass cop
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Never been called...I would LOVE to serve!
A fellow co-worker was called up a few weeks ago and was expecting to get out of it because of LEO...they said "we have civil cases too"...he served 2 days on a malpractice suit

TexasAggieOfc
08-07-2009, 01:30 AM
They called me for Municipal Jury Duty right before I moved out of the city. I only got out because by the time the date came around, I wasn't a legal resident of the city. Other than that, no exemptions in Texas for LE

furetto7
08-07-2009, 01:41 AM
The last time I got called for jury duty they also called my wife. We show up the morning of the trial for selection, I'm in uniform (I'm one of the arresting officers and a prosecution witness) neither of us even made it out of the waiting area.

To this day I think it would have been interesting to be on the jury, if for no other reason than to hear the Bailiff call "Juror number six to the stand".

Xerious
08-07-2009, 08:51 AM

Here police officers are automically dismissed from serving on a jury.

valvestem
08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I never got a jury duty notice ever, but my wife did. And you guys know how hard it is to get out of, but she did. She called and told them she was married to a police officer, and he said, "if they got arrested, they must be guilty, and that's what she believed too", she was excused, and never got another notice.

DACP
08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Like I stated earlier we are not exempt, but we do have a sweet contract, that gives us full pay minus the $ 8.50 per day the court gives us, if we work a shift that conflicts with the jury duty, we get a temp re assignment to a shift (day shift M-F, 7-3) doing office type work. In a nut shell for 2 months I am working the gravy shift I am either at the court house doing nothing, or at the office doing nothing, it is like a mini vacation.

just joe
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
We are not exempt, but we won't be picked, either. You still have to show up and go through the process. I do know of one officer who actually sat as a jury member in a civil case.

blackhorse
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Exempt, no - selected not likely. Like others here, I was called to serve, spent the better part of a day at the court house, got called for a case involving a malpractice suit against a local doctor, was asked a couple questions, and the Judge excused me.

Bully
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
It's weird in Cali. Cops under 830.1 and 830.2 PC are exempt. All others aren't. When I was working for the LA Schools, I had to go even though I still made the same arrests I do now working for a county. Go figure.

PhilipCal
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I never got a jury duty notice ever, but my wife did. And you guys know how hard it is to get out of, but she did. She called and told them she was married to a police officer, and he said, "if they got arrested, they must be guilty, and that's what she believed too", she was excused, and never got another notice.

Took care of that problem, didn't it?:)

crass cop
08-07-2009, 02:31 PM
wasn't that George Carlin's answer?? "I would be perfect for the jury....I can spot a guilty person just like that!"

417Lt
08-07-2009, 03:19 PM
wasn't that George Carlin's answer?? "I would be perfect for the jury....I can spot a guilty person just like that!"
George was smarter than most realize. I bet that one would work for a while.
The judge on my last call had a sense of humor. He stopped this one woman during the screening questions and said, "Ma'am. You obviously haven't read the latest version of 'What to Say To Get Out Of Jury Duty'. In the first chapter there is a list of lines that should never be used any more. You've used most of them".:D

theie
08-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I was told by a Superior Court Judge recently that a Judge is not even legally exempt from serving on a jury. Now that is crazy!

10-97UPD
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
We are not exempt, but we won't be picked, either. You still have to show up and go through the process. I do know of one officer who actually sat as a jury member in a civil case.

Right on....one of my fellow officer got picked and had to serve for a few weeks. Not sure if it was civil or criminal but he said they are starting to change the view on Cops serving as jurors...In my opinion, That's hard to believe. It has to depend on the specifics of the case.

yellowreef
08-07-2009, 09:00 PM
It's weird in Cali. Cops under 830.1 and 830.2 PC are exempt. All others aren't. When I was working for the LA Schools, I had to go even though I still made the same arrests I do now working for a county. Go figure.

Yeah, I have to sit through the whole thing, not being state or county. All the workers in the jury room know we will be booted by the defense first chance, but that's the way the law is. I usually try to sit as up front as possible, when called to a courtroom, to be one of the first to go. When I stand up to answer the questionnaire, and answer the job question, the defense attorney without fail scribbles my name on a post it note to exclude me. Get booted at first exclusion. Same thing every time. On another hand, I wish they'd let me serve once so I could talk some sense into the rest of the jury if needed ;)

Iowa #1603
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
If you get a notice from a FEDERAL court all you need to do is state you are a Law Enforcement Officer (This includes Correctional Officers) and your name is removed from the list.
I have been called in state court (Iowa). In my small county I know a LOT of people and in this case I knew both the arresting officer and the defendant. The judge still would not dismiss me.
Finally the defense attorney remembered that I had a jury trial with him 25 yrs ago when i was a deputy in a neighboring county. He kicked me off the pool (I won that old case).

sarge305
08-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Here in PA it seems to be by County...the one my dept is in would excuse the officers who lived w/in that County with just a phone call....the one I live in requires that I appear ...I've been called up three times and have served ONCE, for a Civil Trial - injuries resulting from a car accident- and I was there for a week and three days! My Dept. couldn't believe I was picked...it was a first...thank goodness I got paid despite my absence from work...I had to sign over my daily $13.00 check to the administration ( $28.00 after 3 days)...and my poor Dad...he got called all of the time and dutifully went ...he couldn't wait to get on a jury...he was dismissed every time during the Q & A...you know the question..."Do any of you know or have a family member in law enforcement?" One Judge who knew me well thanked him for his service and commented that she knew he must be proud of my service in the dept......he was really miffed when I came home the day I was selected and told him...he was so jealous...

Dinosaur32
08-07-2009, 11:43 PM
In NY, no one is exempt. We have had judges sit on civil juries. In Manhattan we had one criminal jury, just before I retired, that had an NYPD officer and a State Court Officer sitting on it. While I was on the job, I had cops tell me after they voted for a not guilty verdict, that the cops on the case really screwed up. A good officer isn't going to vote guilty "just because". He/she will weigh the evidence and vote as it requires. Many defense attorneys are learning this and losing the fear of putting a cop on a jury.

ladet1
08-29-2009, 12:25 AM
JPSO there are several police who serve as jurors.