View Full Version : Transfer of POST Certifications

08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Hello all my name is Jeremy and I live in Missouri. Ill be receiving my Bachelors degree this year and plan on attending a local law enforcement academy next fall. My question is how would it work if I get POST certified in Missouri and say move to Illinois or Texas? Will it transfer or will I have to repeat the academy in that state? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, stay safe

08-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Nope. You will have to recertify in the state where you relocate. You should check the P.O.S.T. regulations for that state. Perhaps you will be able to challenge their test. However, that is usually reserved for former sworn LEOs from other states.

08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
No matter what state you move to you're gonna run into a problem with every state's laws being different. You're really best off picking a state and sticking with it.

08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I went from law enforcement in Missouri to Illinois. In Illinois I applied for a training waiver. They looked at my Missouri training as well as my time spent in law enforcement in Missouri. I had to qualify with my weapon in Illinois take a 40 hour Illinois law review class and take an equivalency exam. Upon passing all of these I was certified in Illinois. I do think in order to qualify for the waiver you have to have some time in law enforcement in another state.

08-06-2009, 04:05 AM
We get several Missouri POST certified officers who come to Kansas. They attend a 2-week reciprocity and upon completion are fully certified here.

08-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Can't speak for Illinois, here in Texas you can take the TCLEOSE certification test by challenge. Check the TCLEOSE website at www.tcleose.state.tx.us for the procedure to follow for challenge.

08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
The good news is alot of states accept Missouri POST for a transfer. Although you still have to pass the POST test for that state as mentioned above. I know Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, and Illinois all take our POST, any others you would have to investigate on your own. Many agencies won't take you as a Lateral unless you have a specified amount of road time and that is department specific.