PDA

View Full Version : How do I Register an Unregistered Handgun in Ca

hockeytilter25
06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
I have friend that got a 9mil Ruger from his dad as a gift last week. This gun was bought from a federal firearms dealer in AZ about 15 years ago. Since it he moved to CA 13 years ago the gun has not been registered nor fired. Does anyone know how he would go about getting this gun registered in CA?
Thanks

KJB
06-14-2009, 01:59 AM
You are allowed to own guns in California???

SgtCHP
06-14-2009, 09:30 AM
The weapon, per se, is not required to be registered in CA. It is not on the list of assault weapons. Only the transfer/sale of the weapon from one person to another is required to be documented with the CA DOJ. If it was legally purchased there is no problem.

Here is the "Firearms" page from the CA DOJ:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Retired96
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Here's the DOJ form called the Firearm Ownership Record you can download.

Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf)

When my brother in law gave me a gun a few years ago I used that form, sent my check and one month later received a confirmation letter from DOJ showing the gun was now registered in my name. Very simple process..

ateamer
06-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Why in the hell would you want to register a gun, especially if it is not mandated? It is none of the government's business what guns people own. Registration is the first step toward confiscation.

DOAcop38
06-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Why in the hell would you want to register a gun, especially if it is not mandated? It is none of the government's business what guns people own. Registration is the first step toward confiscation.

I "think" people worry about stuff thats not of consequence, more than stuff that is- the avg citizen will more likely get CITED for watering his lawn during our dry spell issues, or pulled over for NO front plate, than have to "worry" about an unregistered gun in the house !( plenty of people have DEADLY and Korean War era weapons that have NEVER been "registered")

LA DEP
06-15-2009, 01:56 AM
The only way it is going to be an issue is if you are caught carrying it (loaded) on your person w/o a CCW (ie: not at the range, hunting, ect).....there is a felony (wobbler) section for possession of a loaded handgun that is not 'registered' to you (ie: you arent listed as the owner via a CALGUNS check)

It is one of the myriad 12025 sections.....12025(b)(2)?......somewhere in that area......

hockeytilter25
06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
So there would be no issue with him bringing the unregistered gun to the range to shoot and no issue transporting it properly back and forth if he got pulled over and searched?

LA DEP
06-15-2009, 02:20 AM
So there would be no issue with him bringing the unregistered gun to the range to shoot and no issue transporting it properly back and forth if he got pulled over and searched?

as long as it is UNLOADED and not on his person when he is stopped, it should not be an issue.....

research CPC 12020-12031....ALL of the little subsections......be your own expert on what is allowed here in Commifornia, and what is not......

Vigilis
06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Out of curiosity, if a gun is registered, would that be of aid in recovering it if it's stolen?

ateamer
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, it would, but I would rather lose a gun to a common burglar than to the government.

andy5746
06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Out of curiosity, if a gun is registered, would that be of aid in recovering it if it's stolen?

As long as you know the make, model and serial number, the stolen weapon can be entered in AFS and, if recovered, returned to you. You don't need to have it registered with the state prior to reporting it lost/stolen.

1970k10
06-19-2009, 06:01 AM
I don't think anyone is going to waste their time checking registration for citizens.

Registration is so stupid, the libtards do not understand that badguys don't register their guns.

nevets616
06-21-2009, 02:30 AM
The only way it is going to be an issue is if you are caught carrying it (loaded) on your person w/o a CCW (ie: not at the range, hunting, ect).....there is a felony (wobbler) section for possession of a loaded handgun that is not 'registered' to you (ie: you arent listed as the owner via a CALGUNS check)

It is one of the myriad 12025 sections.....12025(b)(2)?......somewhere in that area......

so i have a similar situation. my father has a gun that was given to him few years back, i think handed down to him from a friend that passed or something in that nature. i love the gun and after i grad acad i would like to off duty carry it. could i just reg it under my name after and carry it? thanks!

pulicords
06-21-2009, 09:56 AM
could i just reg it under my name after and carry it? thanks!

Yes.