PDA

View Full Version : Flare patterns

Smokenmirrors1
03-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Good Afternoon,
Anyone know of a web site or text book outlining effective flare patterns for crash scenes?
Looking for different patterns that the genius of the motoring community can recognize and, hopefully, NOT run over at crash scenes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks/ Smoke

ZGXtreme
03-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I hit up Google and could find one link that may be what you are looking for.

LINK (http://www.tarorigin.com/art/Lmartinez/)

SgtCHP
03-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I was taught, many years ago, that flares should be set ten feet (give or take) apart with one foot of deviation to give a better angle of appearance and to appear as a solid line for the approaching traffic. You can reduce the angle of deviation on faster roadways to make the closure more subtle.

A minimum of 100 feet on slower speed roadways to 1000 feet for higher speeds. That is for one lane of closure. More lanes double the distances to allow for merging and reduce confusion.

Double and triple stacking reduces the maintenance time needed for keeping the line lit!

RoadKingTrooper
03-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I was taught, many years ago, that flares should be set ten feet (give or take) apart with one foot of deviation to give a better angle of appearance and to appear as a solid line for the approaching traffic. You can reduce the angle of deviation on faster roadways to make the closure more subtle.

A minimum of 100 feet on slower speed roadways to 1000 feet for higher speeds. That is for one lane of closure. More lanes double the distances to allow for merging and reduce confusion.

Double and triple stacking reduces the maintenance time needed for keeping the line lit!

Yeah, and be careful lighting them, they will instantly burn through your uniform jacket unless lit correctly!

BPD_126
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, and be careful lighting them, they will instantly burn through your uniform jacket unless lit correctly!

yeah almost took one in the eye lighting one on a 14 car accident on the HWY. I was rushing.......:rolleyes: LOL

Seventy2002
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Chapter 6 of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2003r1/Ch6H.pdf) has charts, diagrams and formulas.

cottonwood 41
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
I'll never forget the annual eval I got that a sergeant recommended I go to a "POST Accredited School" to learn "proper flare pattern techniques."

The same evaluation went to six other employees. I know because other employees had my name and vise versa on portions of eachother's evals. I never did find such a school.

Smokenmirrors1
03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the help.

Smoke

KAA951
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
You might check out...

www.respondersafety.com

PRESSHRD5COPIES
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Good Afternoon,
Anyone know of a web site or text book outlining effective flare patterns for crash scenes?
Looking for different patterns that the genius of the motoring community can recognize and, hopefully, NOT run over at crash scenes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks/ Smoke

You might find a pattern that is idiot proof but none are complete idiot proof. :D

StudChris
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
I put them in heart patterns.

S.O.444
04-01-2009, 01:47 AM
I just use the $500,000 fire engines to block off traffic and protect the scene as well as my car. :D

skigoggles
04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Here's the two patterns I usually use

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Community/FIDS%20gallery/Last_call_flares.jpg

or

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_C130J-30_Australian_Flares_lg.jpg

btfp
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
It helps to inter space them with traffic cones. If no cones are available, then
taper them to a straight line to guide the traffic away from the incident.
If you have cruisers to park, have them all face in the direction you want the traffic to go.
Remember that when you expect a driver to do the stupidest dumbest thing ever you will not be dissapointed.