PDA

View Full Version : San Bernardino County Sheriff Deputy Trainee

pappabacon
03-10-2009, 06:04 PM
They just reopened the application system for San Bernardino County Sheriff Dept, it says to apply between 3/7/09-3/16/09. Does anyone have any experience in the application process with this department? I know some of the areas that they patrol are pretty rough.

Copp'rPenny
03-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Hmmm... very interesting ...

IronBruin
03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Hmmm... very interesting ...

Indeed... I think agencies are just telling YOU they are on a hiring freeze so they don't hurt your feelings:eek::p

pappabacon
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Indeed... I think agencies are just telling YOU they are on a hiring freeze so they don't hurt your feelings:eek::p

LOL. :)

Pre-LEO
03-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Or it could be a way for the HR Department to stay busy...:)

AirWind23
03-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah; SBSO was out at Cal State San Bernardino for a CJ job fair (great time for a job fair, the place was half empty) and passed out fliers advising of the new opening dates available. I shot in my application over the weekend after hearing about the opening. Let's see what happens.

08duramax
03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I just applied too. We will see.

Nacho1523
03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I put in too.

pappabacon
03-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Good luck everybody!

Webfur
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I am really debating on this one. How many are they looking to hire?
I'm probably going to call them up today or tomorrow.

Copp'rPenny
03-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi guys! I talked to my BI today (yes, it's one of the dreaded five below). Actually, they're NOT totally frozen. They put 15 in the October academy (4 washed out :mad:), 10 in January and another 10 are planned in April. When recruits wash out, they immediately fill the hole with laterals, and there are a number of them also standing by.

July academies typically are the biggest of the year, around 50, because this is right after the start of the new fiscal year. They'll know in April how big the July class will be.

He said although the economy is squeezing them, they have to keep up numbers for the contract cities. Yea for that! :D

Off to change my signature line ...

siryessir
03-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I applied as well!!!

AirWind23
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Whoo, sounds promising Penny! Do keep us updated on your progress, good luck guys!

IronBruin
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi guys! I talked to my BI today (yes, it's one of the dreaded five below). Actually, they're NOT totally frozen. They put 15 in the October academy (4 washed out :mad:), 10 in January and another 10 are planned in April. When recruits wash out, they immediately fill the hole with laterals, and there are a number of them also standing by.

July academies typically are the biggest of the year, around 50, because this is right after the start of the new fiscal year. They'll know in April how big the July class will be.

He said although the economy is squeezing them, they have to keep up numbers for the contract cities. Yea for that! :D

Off to change my signature line ...

He's alive?!?:eek:

QRF
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
They just reopened the application system for San Bernardino County Sheriff Dept, it says to apply between 3/7/09-3/16/09. Does anyone have any experience in the application process with this department? I know some of the areas that they patrol are pretty rough.

Yes, but don't take my advice.... I went through the SBSO Academy in 1984. :D

Copp'rPenny
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
He's alive?!?:eek:

I know, it was quite the surprise when he himself answered his own phone. I was looking for the defibrillator! ;) He's actually a really nice guy. Just been very scarce in recent times. The BIs are feeling this economy just like we are. Well, maybe not JUST like we are, because most of them are still getting a paycheck. :o

08duramax
03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
anyone hear anything from them yet

pappabacon
03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
anyone hear anything from them yet

When I filled out the application online it said that I should hear something by April 1; if nothing is heard by then to call.

08duramax
03-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Good to hear. I didn't see that. Thanks

AirWind23
03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Just got a reply email that my application was accepted and scheduled for the written test is on 04/14/2009 at 8:00 AM.

Anyone get any notifications as well? Also, anyone have any tips on the written? I took the LAPD written and passed, not familiar if it is similar or not.

Webfur
03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Just got a reply email that my application was accepted and scheduled for the written test is on 04/14/2009 at 8:00 AM.

Anyone get any notifications as well? Also, anyone have any tips on the written? I took the LAPD written and passed, not familiar if it is similar or not.

Just got my email too! Mine is at 11:00am on the 14th.

pappabacon
03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Got my email, 2:00 PM on 4/14

Webfur
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Got my email, 2:00 PM on 4/14

Does the time your taking the test mean anything?

pappabacon
03-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Does the time your taking the test mean anything?

Not sure.

Copp'rPenny
03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
The test is NOT POST, and it's also not an essay, like LAPD. IIRC, it's 60 questions, which are all reading comprehension and writing skills.

Good luck! (And I seriously doubt the time you take the test means anything. Just do your best. One thing that SBSD does is, if you pass the written, they really don't do anything with your score. Unless you just barely pass in Rank 6, you're totally fine).

Copp'rPenny made me feel self-conscious about listing my agencies.

LOL, PB!

AirWind23
03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the info Penny, much appreciated!

pappabacon
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
The test is NOT POST, and it's also not an essay, like LAPD. IIRC, it's 60 questions, which are all reading comprehension and writing skills.

Good luck! (And I seriously doubt the time you take the test means anything. Just do your best. One thing that SBSD does is, if you pass the written, they really don't do anything with your score. Unless you just barely pass in Rank 6, you're totally fine).

LOL, PB!

You made me superstitious!!!

siryessir
03-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Any one else get the e-mail to take the test on 4/14?

08duramax
03-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Mine is on 4/15 at 8 am

G35drvr03
03-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I will also be there on 4/15 at 8am!

thekevin
03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I will be there 4/14 at 8am

thekevin
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
For everyone that doesn't know! http://www.sheriffsjobs.com/qualifications/troublesomewords.asp
Has some pretty cool study material for what might possible be on the test.

shifty277
04-09-2009, 09:49 PM
So is Deputy Trainee just like a Probationary period kinda deal? Just wonderin.

pappabacon
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
So is Deputy Trainee just like a Probationary period kinda deal? Just wonderin.

I think that the Trainee status is in place during your time at the academy, and that at the successful completion of the academy you become a Deputy.

Webfur
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
It's the position you hold while in the academy. Once you finish the academy, you promoted to deputy sheriff.

shifty277
04-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Ah ok I got it Thanks!

AirWind23
04-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Does SBSO require trainees, upon academy graduation, to be posted in corrections for a specific amount of time prior to being placed on patrol (or contract cities)?

I tried looking on the recruitment website for any information but found nothing.

pappabacon
04-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Does SBSO require trainees, upon academy graduation, to be posted in corrections for a specific amount of time prior to being placed on patrol (or contract cities)?

I tried looking on the recruitment website for any information but found nothing.

I spoke to a SBSD Detective about this recently, she indicated that after academy you go to corrections. At some point during your corrections time you will be assigned a FTO and will get your patrol training done. After that training you will go back to the jail you were previously assigned until a patrol position opens up, based on seniority. She indicated that there was no guaranteed amount of time to be spent in corrections.

Viffer
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Yes, your inital orders would be to work the jails once you're sworn in. This goes for laterals too...they must put in their time working custody as well. Your orders to go to patrol would not only depend on seniority, but what stations you put in for. The more popular stations are the valley stations. If you put in for Barstow, or Trona, you will spend very little time working in custody. The wait is currently about two years of custody before going to a valley station, but there is no guarantee...especially with the current economy. If you have further questions, or need more info, feel free to PM me.

Webfur
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
how does everyone think they did?

siryessir
04-16-2009, 01:20 AM
The test is the easy part.

08duramax
04-16-2009, 03:01 AM
this test was very different from the others i have taken. still easy, i think, but different

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
You guys are so lucky. I have been waiting to apply for sbso for deputy since last november. the 1 week that they open it up im on vacation in vegas lol.. go figure. Anyways.. Ive been a Dispatcher II for Sbso for going on 5 years now. I know pretty much everything about them. So any questions feel free to ask. Ive gone on 50+ Ride a longs. Know pretty much every sgt. Plenty of deputy friends. Know the county like the back of my hand. I know the good stations to work for and I also know the bad. I know the hiring process (Which is exactely the same as dispatch except for the PAT and Psych) "everything else is pretty much exactely the same". When they open up the application process again I will be applying. If anyone wants to sit-a-long at dispatch to just get a general idea of what goes on let me know. Its good to know both sides of the radio.

pappabacon
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
how does everyone think they did?

I feel like I did ok. This is the 3rd LEO test I have taken, and they have all been very different. Be crossing the fingers, while running around the block, until next Thursday, which happens to be my birthday!:)

Webfur
04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
We need a lot more luck.

I feel I am a qualified candidate, but I have made a few mistakes in my past that will probably haunt me.

Copp'rPenny
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
What did they say about their future hiring? My BI said he wouldn't know until April-May whether the new budget (starts July 1) would allow for a 50-person July academy. July's is always their biggest academy.

pappabacon
04-16-2009, 12:46 PM
What did they say about their future hiring? My BI said he wouldn't know until April-May whether the new budget (starts July 1) would allow for a 50-person July academy. July's is always their biggest academy.

The Detective that was at the test I took indicated that there are only 3 Detectives running BI's, and that they would only be running (about) 10 groups through the academy. As far as a time line, I didn't hear anything about that. She did say that they added a second part to the PAA (after the initial one there would be a timed 1.5 mile run, and a sit-up/push-up test).

Then she said that they were gonna wait a few years before they hire this lady named Penny, with copper colored hair, just because they like to mess with her!:p

08duramax
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
they told me wed morning at my test they are lookinG at a start date between October and january.

jay750gixxer
04-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Hey CopprPenny what agenices are you currently testing with?

siryessir
04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
The Detective that was at the test I took indicated that there are only 3 Detectives running BI's, and that they would only be running (about) 10 groups through the academy. As far as a time line, I didn't hear anything about that. She did say that they added a second part to the PAA (after the initial one there would be a timed 1.5 mile run, and a sit-up/push-up test).

Then she said that they were gonna wait a few years before they hire this lady named Penny, with copper colored hair, just because they like to mess with her!:p

Did she say 10 groups? I thought I heard they only put 10 people through the last academy. Any body planning on practicing at the academy? I'm going today to sign the waiver and start hopping walls.

Copp'rPenny
04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
10 groups doesn't sound right. Even in the best of times, I think they only start four academies a year.

They did send 10 in October, 10 in January and were supposed to start another 10 this month, but don't know if they did. Even if things weren't slow, I doubt they could process you guys in time for July, so it makes sense to talk about October and January with you.

Jay, I'll PM ya. :)

pappabacon
04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
What I meant to say was groups of 10, sorry about that. Very sleepy, too much reading for school. ;)

AirWind23
04-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Took it on Tuesday, and think I did fairly well..the wait begins till Thursday to see the truth.
I was a bit surprised that they added a secondary section to their PAT, need to start working on some sit-ups..

Copp'rPenny
04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
At what point in the process does the second PAT take place? I'm not worried about it. I've done two PATs this month with push-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run. But I am curious.

Webfur
04-17-2009, 11:48 AM
At what point in the process does the second PAT take place? I'm not worried about it. I've done two PATs this month with push-ups, sit-ups and a 1.5 mile run. But I am curious.

I am guessing, they have to review all the pre-background questionnaire. I believe they want to dq a good number who they feel are not qualified to keep going. I think getting invited to the 2nd PAT is the huge bump in the process, but again I might be wrong.

pappabacon
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM

The Detective indicated that it was going to be about a month down the road after the initial PAT.

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-18-2009, 03:55 AM
they will open up the hiring again next month (may) per my insider ;) i will be applying. 1st day it starts i'll be on here letting everyone know

MT2658
04-18-2009, 01:59 PM
they will open up the hiring again next month (may) per my insider ;) i will be applying. 1st day it starts i'll be on here letting everyone know

nooo... you don't want all that competition do ya? :D

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-22-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm not too worried about that. I've been a dispatcher for sb county for almost 5 years now. gone on numerous ride-a-longs and i'm in pretty good shape (hard to belive since i am a dispatcher lol). I would make 1 hell of a study partner I'f i go to the academy with one of you guys.

CHUCKnmnV
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Copp'rPenny
04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not too worried about that. I've been a dispatcher for sb county for almost 5 years now. gone on numerous ride-a-longs and i'm in pretty good shape (hard to belive since i am a dispatcher lol). I would make 1 hell of a study partner I'f i go to the academy with one of you guys.

Even though you're in "pretty good shape," have you practiced the wall? It probably knocked 75 percent of the female applicants out of the running (I'm assuming you're female by your writing style). Do NOT take the wall for granted. It does not come naturally to most females and needs to be practiced. Good luck!

MT2658
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Even though you're in "pretty good shape," have you practiced the wall? It probably knocked 75 percent of the female applicants out of the running (I'm assuming you're female by your writing style). Do NOT take the wall for granted. It does not come naturally to most females and needs to be practiced. Good luck!

LOL male..

AirWind23
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Just got a email from HR and got invited to the PAT next week. Anyone else get their emails?

Copp'rPenny
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
LOL male..

You, or SBSO Dispatcher, to whom I was addressing?

Webfur
04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Just got a email from HR and got invited to the PAT next week. Anyone else get their emails?

I passed also.

I scored in Range 4. from what I read in the previous posts, the range doesn't matter?

MT2658
04-22-2009, 08:02 PM
You, or SBSO Dispatcher, to whom I was addressing?

SBSO

KLINGER
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
1st post sorry im mostly a lurker.. i passed with a rank 6.. see you guys next saturday. good luck!

Copp'rPenny
04-22-2009, 09:06 PM
SBSO

SBSO_Dispatcher is male? With all those exclamation points? So sorry! :o

(or should I write, "so sorry!!!!!!") ;)

MT2658
04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
SBSO_Dispatcher is male? With all those exclamation points? So sorry! :o

(or should I write, "so sorry!!!!!!") ;)

I could be wrong but this is why I say it's a male "If she was driving the truck then i'd have to pass. couldnt date a girl who can beat me in arm wresling " :D

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
lol... I am a male. i applied 3 years ago but was dq'd because of my drivers record. now i have had no tickets in 7 years so im okay.i'm 25yoa. a 6 foot wall is nothing. I can climb a 12 foot wall (and ive done it). when i applied 2 years ago i passed the written and passed the pat's but when i hit background they didnt like the fact that i had a 23103b ticket. reckless driving. which i got when i was 18yoa. If i would have known what it was back then i would have fought it. i was "speeding" in a parking lot. those ontario mills cops dont play. I know "speeding" in a parking lot doesnt justify 23103b.. but i didnt know any better back then. and i like exclamation markes damnet!!!!! lol jk

Copp'rPenny
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I could be wrong but this is why I say it's a male "If she was driving the truck then i'd have to pass. couldnt date a girl who can beat me in arm wresling " :D

LOL, you had better evidence than I! :D

Copp'rPenny
04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
... and i like exclamation markes damnet!!!!! lol jk

:D

Humble apologies! :o

Webfur
04-22-2009, 11:48 PM
ok I'm confused.

The email I got stated that they'll be going down an eligibility list, which depends on the written. the Deputy stated otherwise, or am I wrong?

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-23-2009, 12:25 AM
:D

Humble apologies! :o
i forgive you

AirWind23
04-23-2009, 01:40 AM
ok I'm confused.

The email I got stated that they'll be going down an eligibility list, which depends on the written. the Deputy stated otherwise, or am I wrong?

Yeah I'm kinda confused on this bit also, can anyone confirm?

08duramax
04-23-2009, 02:31 AM
i passed in the score range 3. see you next sat

thekevin
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Passed wtih range six. feel kinda dumb but all well. My best friend had range six but did really good on the agil and just graduated class 174. So dont lose hope range 6 guys. =)

Viffer
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM

The county just applied for a grant from the federal stimulus package requesting 50 deputies. It will probably take about five months to receive a response.

Here's the article from The Sun - 4-14-2009:
The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday gave the Sheriff's Department the green light to apply for a $17.4 million federal grant to hire 50 patrol deputies.
A new program funded by the the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a competitive grant process to law-enforcement agencies to hire more police officers or deputies.

The Sheriff's Department's plan is to fill 28 patrol positions that are vacant because of budget constraints.

In addition, the department is requesting another 22 deputies for patrol duty in 11 cities it contracts with for service. Those cities are Adelanto, Apple Valley, Chino Hills, Grand Terrace, Highland, Hesperia, Loma Linda, Rancho Cucamonga, Twentynine Palms, Yucaipa and Yucca Valley.

If the Sheriff's Department gets the federal money, each of the contract cities would receive up to three deputies.

It would be welcome news for Hesperia, which has been working to increase its ratio of deputies for the past five years. The Sheriff's Department has three new deputies earmarked for the city if it gets the grant.

"Adding these three (deputies) is going to get us closer to our target figure," said Capt. Lance Clark, who heads the Hesperia station. "We have a lot of issues in our community - a lot of thefts, a lot of traffic issues - and those (deputies) will help a lot with that."

The grant would fund the salary and benefits for entry-level deputies for three

years. The Sheriff's Department and its contract cities would be required to retain the deputies for at least one year after that.
Because the Sheriff's Department pays its patrol deputies more than the standard entry-level salary, the actual cost to cover the salaries and benefits of the 50 new deputies will be about $19 million.

The $1.5 million difference will be made up by contract cities, which would pay a total of $684,486, and state asset-

forfeiture funds amounting to $871,164.

Getting the money won't be easy. Law-enforcement agencies from across the country are vying for money freed up by the federal stimulus package.

The U.S. Department of Justice estimates a wait of about five months before it announces which law-enforcement agencies will receive grants, said Wendy Britt, the administrative manager for the Sheriff's Department.

For contract cities that have grown significantly in recent years, more deputies are a necessity.

"We need the manpower to keep up with the growth in the city," said Lt. Mike Newcombe of the sheriff's Yucaipa station, which would get three new deputies if the federal funding comes down the pike.

He said traffic collisions are a big problem in the city. Last year, he said, there were 456 traffic collisions, and deputies issued 4,511 traffic citations.

"It's something we can't ignore. We need to make sure we pay attention and identify resources to keep on that," Newcombe said.

Copp'rPenny
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Viffer! I saw that LA County is competing for the same monies. They want to hire 350-450 deputies with it. Hope I don't expire from either list waiting for it.

pappabacon
04-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Hopefully this will equal good news for people in this process!

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
The county just applied for a grant from the federal stimulus package requesting 50 deputies. It will probably take about five months to receive a response.

Here's the article from The Sun - 4-14-2009:
The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday gave the Sheriff's Department the green light to apply for a $17.4 million federal grant to hire 50 patrol deputies.
A new program funded by the the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides a competitive grant process to law-enforcement agencies to hire more police officers or deputies.

The Sheriff's Department's plan is to fill 28 patrol positions that are vacant because of budget constraints.

In addition, the department is requesting another 22 deputies for patrol duty in 11 cities it contracts with for service. Those cities are Adelanto, Apple Valley, Chino Hills, Grand Terrace, Highland, Hesperia, Loma Linda, Rancho Cucamonga, Twentynine Palms, Yucaipa and Yucca Valley.

If the Sheriff's Department gets the federal money, each of the contract cities would receive up to three deputies.

It would be welcome news for Hesperia, which has been working to increase its ratio of deputies for the past five years. The Sheriff's Department has three new deputies earmarked for the city if it gets the grant.

"Adding these three (deputies) is going to get us closer to our target figure," said Capt. Lance Clark, who heads the Hesperia station. "We have a lot of issues in our community - a lot of thefts, a lot of traffic issues - and those (deputies) will help a lot with that."

The grant would fund the salary and benefits for entry-level deputies for three

years. The Sheriff's Department and its contract cities would be required to retain the deputies for at least one year after that.
Because the Sheriff's Department pays its patrol deputies more than the standard entry-level salary, the actual cost to cover the salaries and benefits of the 50 new deputies will be about $19 million.

The $1.5 million difference will be made up by contract cities, which would pay a total of $684,486, and state asset-

forfeiture funds amounting to $871,164.

Getting the money won't be easy. Law-enforcement agencies from across the country are vying for money freed up by the federal stimulus package.

The U.S. Department of Justice estimates a wait of about five months before it announces which law-enforcement agencies will receive grants, said Wendy Britt, the administrative manager for the Sheriff's Department.

For contract cities that have grown significantly in recent years, more deputies are a necessity.

"We need the manpower to keep up with the growth in the city," said Lt. Mike Newcombe of the sheriff's Yucaipa station, which would get three new deputies if the federal funding comes down the pike.

He said traffic collisions are a big problem in the city. Last year, he said, there were 456 traffic collisions, and deputies issued 4,511 traffic citations.

"It's something we can't ignore. We need to make sure we pay attention and identify resources to keep on that," Newcombe said.
newcomb is a great great guy. he used to be our LT at VCC Station

AirWind23
04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Everyone ready for Saturday? Been jumping a lot of fences lately...getting weird looks at the park isn't fun..

Webfur
04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Everyone ready for Saturday? Been jumping a lot of fences lately...getting weird looks at the park isn't fun..

I get to leave the bay Area only at 6pm. Will get to San Bernardino around 1am :(

I'm starting not to like the drive to socal.

pappabacon
04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I get to leave the bay Area only at 6pm. Will get to San Bernardino around 1am :(

Why the frick would you want to move from the bay area to San Bernarghetto?

Webfur
04-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Why the frick would you want to move from the bay area to San Bernarghetto?

I go where I have a gut feeling I have a chance. Plus I want to get out of the bay area.

pappabacon
04-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I go where I have a gut feeling I have a chance. Plus I want to get out of the bay area.

:)Well good luck then, see you out there Saturday!

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-30-2009, 06:12 AM
laso and lapd i think would be easier.. my fiance doesnt want me workin out there tho :(

SBSO_DISPATCHER
04-30-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm still holding out for SBSO to re-open hireing but now im starting to think i should just apply other places.... im only 25.... i have 5 years of retirement invested.. any suggestions???

08duramax
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM

I just did that drive on wed. Drove up to Pleasanton to meet with a BI for Santa clara county. That drive does sucks.

JH164
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm still holding out for SBSO to re-open hireing but now im starting to think i should just apply other places.... im only 25.... i have 5 years of retirement invested.. any suggestions???

Isn't SBSO in PERS for retirement? If so, there's plenty of other departments that have the same retirement plan in California.

Webfur
04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I just did that drive on wed. Drove up to Pleasanton to meet with a BI for Santa clara county. That drive does sucks.

I usually don't mind the drive, but not when I have to be up at 6am. work a full 8 hrs, and then drive in the evening.

Webfur
04-30-2009, 11:39 AM
laso and lapd i think would be easier.. my fiance doesnt want me workin out there tho :(

I don't know. We'll see. I might apply might not. I have 4 active apps right now, if none of them work out. I will probably throw in another app back into CHP next april.

08duramax
04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Don't wait. CHP process takes forever. Test now it can't hurt.

Webfur
04-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't wait. CHP process takes forever. Test now it can't hurt.

I've been in it. got disqualified. I have to guess when i can go back. I can't go any further into the reason why.

my guess is April of next yr.

Viffer
05-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Isn't SBSO in PERS for retirement? If so, there's plenty of other departments that have the same retirement plan in California.

No, SBSO is not PERS...it's actually has their own...SBCERA. Riverside Sheriff's is PERS.

Viffer
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM

My suggestion is to stay put...and be patient...you already know the department...the codes, the area, the people, the regulations, etc. And you obviously are proud to work for SBSO...so stick it out. Now's not the time to be leaving a job or agency for a new one when you have so much vested in it. There are departments that are laying people off.

SBSO_DISPATCHER
05-01-2009, 05:40 AM
My suggestion is to stay put...and be patient...you already know the department...the codes, the area, the people, the regulations, etc. And you obviously are proud to work for SBSO...so stick it out. Now's not the time to be leaving a job or agency for a new one when you have so much vested in it. There are departments that are laying people off.
the answer i've been looking for. Yes. i love my department. I know sooo many deputies and sgts and I know the area's a lot better than some of these new deputies. I posted this in "ASK A COP" but didnt get an answer I liked more than yours. thank you. I was told that they will re-open hiring at the end of this month for sbso anyways.

pappabacon
05-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Does anyone know if they will still run the test if it is raining? According to the weather channel, there is a 40% chance of rain in the morning. I don't mind doing it in the rain...that sounds so bad

AirWind23
05-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Lame. I just checked the weather, 30% AM showers tomorrow. Sigh..

Viffer
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
the answer i've been looking for. Yes. i love my department. I know sooo many deputies and sgts and I know the area's a lot better than some of these new deputies. I posted this in "ASK A COP" but didnt get an answer I liked more than yours. thank you. I was told that they will re-open hiring at the end of this month for sbso anyways.

You're welcome. Plus, since you now have 5 years vested, you can now convert your retirement contributions to a "non-refundable" pension...so you don't have to pay the extra money into your retirement from each paycheck. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, PM me.

Copp'rPenny
05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
How did it go, everyone? Any updates on the hiring situation?

Webfur
05-02-2009, 11:10 PM
How did it go, everyone? Any updates on the hiring situation?

Just got back to the Bay area. everything went well. I am happy with the result. put in 120%

I find it entertaining how some applicants started to slow down before time was stopped

AirWind23
05-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Things rolled well with everything on the first try. Just gotta wait for results now..pushed like no other on the run too.

Webfur
05-02-2009, 11:26 PM
So we get a letter if we don't pass or not selected. or we get a call if we do get selected?

08duramax
05-02-2009, 11:56 PM
i believe it is a letter if you dont pass and a a phone call if you do pass. so... who was everyone? i was in the A group. i was wearing a white under armor sweatshirt. i felt that i did really good. one of the testers let me see all of my times at the end and they were all really good compared to the scores i was hearing for everyone else. i was really shocked that even after the background investigator told us the scores really mattered in their decision making process, some people still didnt run all the way through and some didnt seem to try at all.

Webfur
05-03-2009, 12:04 AM
i believe it is a letter if you dont pass and a a phone call if you do pass. so... who was everyone? i was in the A group. i was wearing a white under armor sweatshirt. i felt that i did really good. one of the testers let me see all of my times at the end and they were all really good compared to the scores i was hearing for everyone else. i was really shocked that even after the background investigator told us the scores really mattered in their decision making process, some people still didnt run all the way through and some didnt seem to try at all.

I was the guy in a Black Arizona wildcats shirt and blue arizona wildcat shorts.

Every event I would run into the track and to slow down.

I believe I was 3rd group

pappabacon
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I was shocked, but not surprised at the amount of applicants who had not seemingly prepared at all. Before the written test the detective told us that we could go there and practice, but several people could not under any circumstances get over the wall(s).

SBSO_DISPATCHER
05-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I was shocked, but not surprised at the amount of applicants who had not seemingly prepared at all. Before the written test the detective told us that we could go there and practice, but several people could not under any circumstances get over the wall(s).
If everyone know's the wall is a make or break thing for them why do they not practice?

Webfur
05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
If everyone know's the wall is a make or break thing for them why do they not practice?

That means they are full of themselves or they don't care. Either way improves the chances for all of us who want the position.

SBSO_DISPATCHER
05-07-2009, 05:16 AM
That means they are full of themselves or they don't care. Either way improves the chances for all of us who want the position.
i like the way you think ;)

SBSO_DISPATCHER
05-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo did anyone ever get through with these hires? did they ever take any of you guys? they never called me back nothing. I'm pretty sure I'm not even on the list anymore. Last I heard my BI told me to wait for a polygraph date (which never came) just wondering if that did come for some of you?