PDA

View Full Version : Fictitious Plates

Rookie08
03-09-2009, 05:38 AM
If you have fictitious plates on your vehicle and you get pulled over and the original plates that are suppose to be on the vehicle are expired can you charge for fictitious plates and expired plates even though the fictitious plates are not expired?????

Sabre
03-09-2009, 05:42 AM
What did you do?

Rookie08
03-09-2009, 05:47 AM
fictitious and expired and warning for left of center i think it will go if not they'll drop the expired plates. What would you do? Do you think the expired plates will go through?

03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
If the paltes are fictitious, by definition they can not be EXPIRED.... You could however charge fictitious plates and operating an unregistered vehicle, and maybe uninsured vehicle.. Thats what i usually do.

mdrdep
03-09-2009, 07:37 AM
In Cali you would be going to jail on a felony:

4463. (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or
defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and
upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the
state prison for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment
in a county jail for not more than one year:
(1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of
ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership,
registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
permit provided for by any foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of
transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete,
canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate,
or permit.

gecko3s
03-09-2009, 07:43 AM
It's not expired plates. It's expired registration. So yes, it's good.

Highwaylaw
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
...and you were on your way to the DMV to straighten it all out when you got stopped, right? I HATE when that happens... :)

Taylor1430
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
...and you were on your way to the DMV to straighten it all out when you got stopped, right? I HATE when that happens... :)

His profile says Sworn Officer...so I'm hoping that he was the one doing the stopping and not the one getting stopped LOL

CruiserClass
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
I've done improper transfer plates and expired registration before. I've also done false plates and failure to register. Two seperate issues, so you can write both if you choose to.

redbird07
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM

LOL.. You hit the nail right on the head. I hear this everytime I pull traffic for this. It's either going to be tommorrow, or they are on their way there right now. It's always a tow and a crapload of cit's in MD.

2wheeldep
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm on my way to DMV right now.... or I've got an appointment for the 15th, or tomorrow. Yep, heard it all. Let me help you expedite things, I'm towing your car tonight and you can go to DMV in the morning. Oh, I work pm's DMV closes two hours after I'm in service.

As far as fictitious plates, in Ca straight up DMV felony they get to go to jail right now.

ChopperCopper
03-10-2009, 02:47 AM
You guys in Cali are tough. In FL, it's "attaching tag not assigned" and it's a misdemeanor traffic violation. But you'd still go to jail.

jvegas
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
towed and some citations for me.

PRESSHRD5COPIES
03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
For me, you would get a ticket for Misused Plates and your vehicle would be at the impound yard. The plates get booked as evidence and will never be returned to you. I get two or three of these a week.

SgtScott31
03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
fictitious and expired and warning for left of center i think it will go if not they'll drop the expired plates. What would you do? Do you think the expired plates will go through?

Depends on your definition of "fictitious." If you are simply using plates that do not belong on your vehicle, then we cite for unlawful use of license plate. If you are using a "made up" plate or an orginial plate that has been altered, it is a felony in TN.

LE2BE
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
In California you pretty much need a straight up confession for the 4463VC Felony to even be considered for filing. If they do confess to defrauding the DMV, then they will most likely get convicted. The DMV doesn't mess around when it comes to getting their money.

I had this very arrest a few weeks back.... the girl admitted to stealing a tag from another car and placing it on hers. I received a little flack from other fellow Officers.... but who cares.... I have to pay for registration for (4) vehicles and I'm always on time with my payment. I hate picking up the slack for people that like to skirt the law.

SgtCHP
03-10-2009, 09:30 PM
In California you pretty much need a straight up confession for the 4463VC Felony to even be considered for filing. If they do confess to defrauding the DMV, then they will most likely get convicted. The DMV doesn't mess around when it comes to getting their money.

Under 4463(a) VC, the only requirement for prosecution is the officer show that the suspect "Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of
ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate,
device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit
provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership,
registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device
comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or
permit provided for by any foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent
to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges,
counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of
transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing
ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to
be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete,
canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false
certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license,
license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate,
or permit".

That is prima facie evidence for prosecution. You do not need any confession - oral or signed - of intent to defraud. Display alone is sufficient.

To quote the phrases, "Cuff and Stuff!" "Hook and Book" et al!. The car belongs to the state, the body goes to jail and the plates, documents, etc are immediately siezed as evidence. Prosecution is easy.

mdrdep
03-11-2009, 04:00 AM
LE2BE I think your confusing 4462.5 with 4463. 4462.5 is illegaly displaying a true tab, 4463 is displaying a fake or counterfeit one.

Example I had a guy that owed two cars. One was a new car one was a 20 year old beater. He renewed his registration on the 20 year old beater and placed the tab on his newer car saving himself several hundred dollars in reg. fees. This was a violation of 4462.5.

Another person made a color photo copy of somebody elses temporary tag and was displaying it on their vehicle they hadn't registered in over 2 years, this was the felony violation of 4463 and they went to jail.

e-man
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Depends on your definition of "fictitious." If you are simply using plates that do not belong on your vehicle, then we cite for unlawful use of license plate. If you are using a "made up" plate or an orginial plate that has been altered, it is a felony in TN.

Altered, Forged PennDot documents is a misdemeanor 1 here in PA.
If the tags are in fact made up in someones basement like fake inspection stickers, most of the kids at the local Art Institute do those, we woul;d arrest for the M-1. Also probably call in the State Police auto squad.

If the tags are just expired or not on the correct vehicle, then its just a few cites

andy5746
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd cite for open container and driving on the wrong side of the roadway, just to keep things interesting :p

PhilipCal
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Ficticious plates/expired plates are two seperate issues. (Charges).I'd cite the violator for the applicable charge.

tippmann87
03-23-2009, 01:18 AM
I've done improper transfer plates and expired registration before. I've also done false plates and failure to register. Two seperate issues, so you can write both if you choose to.

This the same CruiserClass on the ford truck forums?

PM4-7D
03-23-2009, 03:31 AM
In DC, we get a lot of fake temporary tags, the auto auctions in particular seem to sell them. The charges are usually "Fraudulent Temporary Tag" and "Unregistered Auto." But of course, the people driving these vehicles are often unlicensed or have other issues.

t150vsuptpr
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Fictitious Plates

If you have fictitious plates on your vehicle and you get pulled over and the original plates that are suppose to be on the vehicle are expired can you charge for fictitious plates and expired plates even though the fictitious plates are not expired?????I did a long post, I was thinking the fictitious plates were like home made or altered and thus a serious charge indeed. I just reread it, and quoted it ...
... you're talking about running a current plate registered on anotrher vehicle, not the one it's on when you stopped, and they did it because the plate registered to this vehicle is expired.

I'ld charge the one charge of "Improper Registration",
take the tag and destroy it,
and give him a copy of form I fill out (I forget the form number, have several in the car),
and call a wrecker to tow his car off of my roadside.

Assuming this happens and the plates and all are from my state. I do not seize and destroy out of state plates for improper registration, it's not authorized. Then I'ld just tow it after writing the ticket, but leave the plate with the driver.

Bushranger
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
This scenario would be regarded as a traffic matter and I would be issuing tickets for Unregistered, Uninsured, & Attach false plates. If that driver has previous history for the same thing before writing the tickets, there is a good chance the driver would be sent to court those offences as he or she didn't learn from his prior error of judgement.