PDA

View Full Version : Health and Welfare check

katzeyze
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
When is it appropriate for a person to call and ask for a health and welfare check to be done on a relative?

Here's the situation:

We live out in Tennessee and my mother in law lives in Arizona. For the past 3 days we have been trying to get in touch with her and no luck. We don't have phone numbers for any of her friends or neighbors and are beginning to get concerned. She has had health issues in the past and just recently had a back surgery so we feel pretty sure that she has not been just out and about tooling around town.

Do we call sheriff's office (Maricopa County) or Phoenix PD or do we just sit and wait another day or so and see if she returns any of the numerous messages left for her?

Thanks guys!

katzeyze
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
She lives in Phoenix, not one of the surrounding cities.

Ten08 - that is my biggest fear is that something catastrophic has happened and she has passed. The worst thing is that I have no idea if any of her neighbors have access to a list of pertinent phone numbers for next of kin IF something has happened or what.

irishdep
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
3 days is long enough to wait. If you can't reach her and something is out of the ordinary then call. If she's alright then the worst thing is she knows you care but God forbid something is wrong and she needs help they can get to her before it's too late. Call! I hope she is ok and just forgot to turn her ringer on. Let us know what happens. Good luck.

willowdared
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Did you find the number you need Kat?

I'd say any time that is unusual is worth a welfare check.

katzeyze
02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
After reading ten08's post I decided not to wait any longer to make the call. I am relieved to report that there is a happy ending.

I would like to say that response time for this call was awesome. I made the initial call and report at 1829 and 1852 we were getting a return phone call. Unbeknown to her son or I she decided to go "out of town" for a bit. The neighbor in charge of taking care of her dog showed up right on the heels of the officer responding to the request. The neighbor then provided the information of her out of town trip and further provided information that she is due back sometime tonight.

I told my husband that after this he NEEDS to get some phone numbers of her neighbors and dog feeder.

Thank you again to the Phoenix PD for a phenomenal response time.

willowdared
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Whew!

Get her a cell-phone!

MEA0306
02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Whew!

Get her a cell-phone!

Ditto.

I made my 88 yr old dad get a cell phone. It is with Verizon, the phone itself is geared for the elderly or kids. It has three red buttons "I, C, E" that you program for 3 emergency contacts. It also has a separate blue 911 button.
The keypad display is larger and well lit. I fixed the screen display to show extra large letters.

He tried to cancel by saying he never used it. I explained to him that just having the phone charged and in his pocket whenever he left the house was "using" the phone. I went on to explain that the phone wasn't to convenience HIM, but for any medics or police that assisted him if he had a problem away from home.

He has Onstar available in the car, but doesn't have a subscription. I understand that if he just pushes the button, it will still work and be "activated" as of that moment. It would be worth every penny if an emergency happened.

I am now trying to convince him to get some kind of alert system in the house (he lives alone).

Threatening to move in with him usually gains compliance. :D

He says he isn't ready for that yet. (Me neither).

PS: How do you get your old dad to give up driving?
He doesn't believe me when I say his driving isn't what it used to be. He is under order (from me) not to drive at night, but I suspect he does anyway.