PDA

View Full Version : Whats your thoughts on the American Correctional Association (ACA)

Mcc2318
02-21-2009, 02:05 PM
First I only have 4 days left at MDOC because I'm going on military leave for my second "vacation" to iraq. But any way what are your thoughts on ACA Accreditation.

Willard_DTC
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Someone has to be paying for those jackoff's from the ACA to go around and "audit" facilities nationwide and I would bet it's the taxpayers. There isn't a bigger waste of money or resources in my opinion than an ACA audit. I have seen with my own eyes facilities throw out BRAND NEW items because they couldn't put them on inventory due to audit guidelines.

I would be willing to bet that facility administrators get bonuses when the facility "passes" an audit also. Imagine that.....and they expect me to care? I'm quite sure those dust bunnies they chase around are rabid too. What a joke.....:rolleyes:

PADOC CO1
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I can't really vote on this.
I don't really understand the whole thing. I do know we jump through hoops every year for about a month getting ready for it. After it's over, I hear very little about the results. We always pass, but are told we need to improve on some very trivial (to me anyway) things. I'm not really sure what we get out of it. Maybe we just get to say we have a awesome ACA accredited prison. My guess is we get more money.
I'm glad you brought this up. I look forward to someone explaining what it's all about.

Iowa #1603
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
First I only have 4 days left at MDOC because I'm going on military leave for my second "vacation" to iraq. But any way what are your thoughts on ACA Accreditation.

Probably the biggest scam in the field of Law Enforcement. A gigantic waste of time and money to give some administrator a big warm fuzzy.

An institution will spend approximately $10,000 to apply for accreditation, have a pre audit, an audit, and a post audit meeting with the auditors.

For all that you get a pretty plaque and certificate that attests to the fact that someone was paid to read the 600 page accreditation manual, coordinate all of the institutions policies and procedures to comply with what the ACA gods have decreed is the IDEAL STANDARD. The process takes close to a year and of course the person who is the coordinator has to have the experience and authority to write policy and implement that policy (In other words a senior officer or administrator=BIG PAYCHECK---------so add another 60-70,000 to the cost of the accreditation)

Of course this IDEAL does not take into effect the fact that many institutions were built before the standards were thought of, the fact that it is impossible for many institutions to physically comply with the IDEAL, and would be costly (or impossible) for the institutions to comply due to either budgetary or statutory limitations.

When and if the institution passes the audit (most institutions take two or three audit visits to pass) the administrators are invited to the annual ACA convention to accept the said plaque and certificate. (That is where they get the warm fuzzy)

Accreditation does nothing for the facility, the workers, or the inmates other than express the fact that your administration "cares " enough to spend a crap load of money in order to jump thru a whole bunch of hoops to look good to their peers. Oh yea, it will inflate your policy/procedure manual by a bout 2/3s.

Our facility was accredited in the early 1980's...........we never re-certified due to the cost.

Our past state Director of Corrections is the current ACA president...............he "suggested" that all of the institutions become accredited while he was director. My warden drug his feet.............and outlasted the director who left for greener pastures in Maryland. We have since once again dropped our efforts.

To sum up my feelings on ACA Accreditation:

pffffffffffffth

BSOdeputy
02-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, I can tell you why the Broward Sheriff's Office is ACA accredited. About a decade or so ago, a group of inmates got together and began a class action lawsuit against BSO. They claimed that they were being mistreated in many different ways. Guess what? They won the lawsuit and the circuit courts decided to place BSO under a "consent decree". The ACA is the way that BSO proves to the courts that we are keeping up with all of the standards set forth by the courts upon us on behalf of the plaintiff's (inmates) accusations. All of our 5 jails have to be "mini-audited" yearly by the ACA. They do a major one every 3 years if I recall correctly. If BSO falls below the standards set forth by the ACA the courts will give BSO a very large fine for not complying with the Consent Decree.

Colorado Fatboy
02-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Pretty much a bunch of BS. FWIW they went through the trouble of making ALL facilities in CO (privates too) accredited. :rolleyes:

Iowa #1603
02-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, I can tell you why the Broward Sheriff's Office is ACA accredited. About a decade or so ago, a group of inmates got together and began a class action lawsuit against BSO. They claimed that they were being mistreated in many different ways. Guess what? They won the lawsuit and the circuit courts decided to place BSO under a "consent decree". The ACA is the way that BSO proves to the courts that we are keeping up with all of the standards set forth by the courts upon us on behalf of the plaintiff's (inmates) accusations. All of our 5 jails have to be "mini-audited" yearly by the ACA. They do a major one every 3 years if I recall correctly. If BSO falls below the standards set forth by the ACA the courts will give BSO a very large fine for not complying with the Consent Decree.

You are correct---re-accreditation every 3 yrs.

The reason your department went ACA is maybe one of the only reasons it might be worthwhile.

CaseMngr
02-22-2009, 02:05 AM
Pretty much a bunch of BS. FWIW they went through the trouble of making ALL facilities in CO (privates too) accredited. :rolleyes:

I know that's right. Just had our inspection Friday.

equinox137
02-22-2009, 03:44 AM
Mostly a bunch of hug-a-thug *****.....

sgt809
02-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree, it is the biggest scam perpetrated on Corrections.

EMYBLACK
02-24-2009, 01:44 AM
I think ACA is just a place for Administrative retirees to travel and pretend they are really inspecting these places. I think its all political.

Willard_DTC
02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I think ACA is just a place for Administrative retirees to travel and pretend they are really inspecting these places. I think its all political.

I would just LOVE to see what these "retirees" are being paid. I bet the amount would shock most people. My one up close experience with one of these bootlickers happened when I was on a construction bid last year. A fellow officer and I were outside the mechanical room that the contractors were working in watching the vehicles when the "procession" walked by led by our fearless leader...the superintendent. Well one of these auditors looks at my buddy and says...and I quote...."looks like your boots are nailed to the ground there son". I came within an inch of getting locked out that day because I almost told him to Drag His A*s and worry about the audit and let us handle the security. In hindsight it probably wasn't that big of a deal but it got under my skin just a bit.

sgt809
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I am with you Willard.....this accredidation is rediculous

Iowa #1603
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I would just LOVE to see what these "retirees" are being paid. I bet the amount would shock most people.

They are paid as a contracted consultant. The operative term is MEGABUCKS, which is why ACA charges roughly $10,000 for the process.

Willard_DTC
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
They are paid as a contracted consultant. The operative term is MEGABUCKS, which is why ACA charges roughly $10,000 for the process.

Well....I'm certainly no financial genius but I kind of figured out that they weren't doing the audits for chicken feed. Can't say it shocks me though.....:rolleyes:

redstoy
02-28-2009, 01:21 AM
i would have said its the biggest waste of money i have ever seen but its the only time i can get **** fixed on a unit without waiting a year. i damn well took advantage of that

ODep
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Biggest waste of time I used to work at a juvenile facility and they were ACA it would be obvious things that would lead to failure and they would still pass go figure waste of time.