PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Sheriff Steven Seagal??

Pages : 1 [2] 3

X1X1X1
12-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Pretty lame. Was good for a laugh, but it's coming off the DVR.

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 02:44 AM
In one scene, he shows up at the end of a pursuit, and other uniformed officers are handling the "resisting" suspect...they appear to have a hard time controlling this guy...and Steven Seagal joins the group of 4 or 5 officers as they tase the man on the ground. I believe he might have also been handcuffed already.

All SS did was talk about how a zen master he was...I would think that his "ability" to subdue would have been used specially in that scenario. In my former PD, if that suspect would have been able to afford a good lawyer, he might end up a wealthy man, arguing excessive force.

5 Officers on top...WITH "zen master" Seagal on the scene...and still a taser?

I'm not sticking up for the bad guy...but come on!!!

Oh yeah...What a marksman!!! from 15 meters away at the biggest silhouette I have ever seen.

This show was so bad I couldn't watch the second one, I think it's even worst than Operation Repo.

Chuck Norris...Where are you when we really need you?

X1X1X1
12-03-2009, 02:52 AM
This show was so bad I couldn't watch the second one, ....

After the first one I hit play on the second and my wife said she was going to bed. I said no, just stay until he makes one arrogant comment - 90 seconds later, on the heels of "I'm one of the highest ranked martial arts instructors in the world" she was off to brush her teeth.

HEDP
12-03-2009, 03:09 AM

Seagull: "Take a right."

Driver: "Steve, let me drive."

Seagull: "Where de at? Where de at?"

Hahahaha......wtf????

Steelers5
12-03-2009, 03:10 AM
I did not understand why he sat in the explore, while the 1 deputy shouted out to the crowd stay away. The editing seemed liked 10+ people

The way editing showed, The fellow deputies facial expressions said shut up seagal HHAHHAHAA

HEDP
12-03-2009, 03:17 AM

After reaching the level of Captain, you'd think Seagull's student had at least passed a few gun quals in his day.

lol

Steelers5
12-03-2009, 04:06 AM
^ Yes Sir !!!!

I heard sir more then any TV show....

Groove
12-03-2009, 04:14 AM
I loved how they would slow down time when ever they passed some crooks on the street like SS's superhuman perception was kicking in. I guess he is like their version of the minority report people. He is driven around and uses his 40+ years of martial arts training to perceive crime and then sends in the troops. I thought the show was a disservice to Jefferson Parish. It's great that he does his public service and what not but he seems more like a recruiting tool or public affairs piece than anything.

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 04:48 AM
I didn't want to say anything about the Captain...out of respect for his FULL TIME JOB and hopefully EARNED rank...but yeah...I would hope he knows how to shoot by now.

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 04:53 AM
I didn't want to say anything about the Captain...out of respect for his FULL TIME JOB and hopefully EARNED rank...but yeah...I would hope he knows how to shoot by now.

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 04:54 AM

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 04:56 AM

Steelers5
12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
4 times to say that AvgJoe ???
I hope you earn your POSTING on here

mtxpro752
12-03-2009, 06:48 AM
The capt. seemed to be lost. The Major seemed like a good copper, crusty and ****ed at the world just as someone of his tenure should be.

I really like the "Let me drive" comment.

He said "where dey at?!" at least 15 times in two episodes. Good for a laugh, I will watch about as frequently as DOGG, never.

Steelers5
12-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Dog at least is in danger HHAHHAHAHA. Seagals edit crew makes him look like GOD not DOG :)

grumpyirishman
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I gave up two hours sleep to stay up and watch that dribble last night....It can't last one season...:mad:

jcioccke
12-03-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate to say it- But that was BAD. I really wanted it to be a good show.

He talks so freaking low I had to keep turning the volume up. I had to hear about Martial Arts for the 10 actual minutes the show was on. Dam- there was too many commercial breaks.

I loved how they would slow down time when ever they passed some crooks on the street like SS's superhuman perception was kicking in Glad someone else caught that.

I will give him one thing- He can shoot.

mavriktu
12-03-2009, 09:26 AM
The end credits say "Reserve Deputy Chief Steven Seagal" of the "Reserve Special Services".... What does that mean? I thought he was supposed to be full-time...?
Reserves are the auxillary,or else "non paid volunteers.":rolleyes:

OMG, he's a two star general policeman:eek: "Get em Johnny, get him Johnny" at the intersection, if "Johnny" would have went Seagull would have been one big splat! The less than a minute later he says (para) "at these speeds anyone could get killed" He almost got himself and Johnny killed, good thing Johnnys a real cop, what a dork! :rolleyes:

Johnny,is Col.John Fortunato,JPSOs' public information officer for about the past 30 years.;)
Having worked very closely with JPSO in the past,I flat refuse to watch this dribble,so therefore cannot comment on individual shows.
To,JPSO recruit,come on back,we wont blame you :eek:No "Guilt by Association" to worry about.:D

SOI
12-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah...What a marksman!!! from 15 meters away at the biggest silhouette I have ever seen.

Say what you want about the rest of the show, as it is comical at times, he is a hell of a good shot. And the silhouette is a standard size target, it's not oversized at all. Besides, it doesn't matter how big the target is, he shot the same hole numerous times. He told the captain to shoot the hole he made, and then after the captain missed, he did it. And then he shot the match and the q-tips. He's not the "zen master" he thinks he is, but he's a good shot.

irishlad2nv
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes JPSO please come on here and please tell me that the qualification course they aired on National TV is not the actual course of fire! And conducting hand to hand combat training in full duty carry...wow!

I watched this to put me to sleep, which it did. I love how Segal AKA 2 Star Dep. Chief (Reserve 20yr vet) spots "thugs, rapists" standing on a corner and all run when the Po Po show up and yet he can never catch any of them!

He was qouted yesterday about his time around NOLA after Katrina and how he stoped rapes and murders from taking place...complete utter BS.

I don't watch COPS, but would after this crap.

readyornot
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
What's up with the outer ballistic vest? Nobody else in the show is wearing them. Have they got him double protected since he is a "star"?

JPSO Recruit
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
As much as I wanted to stay away from this thread, I guess I'll come in. Good lord, is this show horrible. You can see me briefly for that chase scene, and boy could I tell you a story about that ending. Captain Norman is actually a great guy, I can tell you from my experiences with him he's as level headed as can be. I'm sure after 20 years on the job he had no problems qualifying, and had known what to expect on the course. I know he's doing the show because he was ordered to do it, I'm positive he despises it as much as everyone else.

I think the show is horrible personally, if anyone is inspired to work for us after watching that then please don't apply because we don't need you. I sure hope people don't believe a Deputy Chief, Colonel, Captain, and Two Sergeants are rolling around answering calls and kicking some ***. Anyone above the rank of Lieutenant would need help turning on their radio, much less make actual attempts on thwarting crime.

@Irish- It was part of the old course, they didn't show the complete course only part of it. We have a new course now, and I personally liked it considering I scored 116 out of 120 ;)

irishlad2nv
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Crap our score goes up to 250...we have 5 rings to shoot at:) I was just thrown back that this Cpt. was having "difficulties" and was being trained by a reserve..Segal at that! However you are right. I have never seen anyone about a Lt. on the streets!

joeyc85
12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
As much as I wanted to stay away from this thread, I guess I'll come in. Good lord, is this show horrible. You can see me briefly for that chase scene, and boy could I tell you a story about that ending. Captain Norman is actually a great guy, I can tell you from my experiences with him he's as level headed as can be. I'm sure after 20 years on the job he had no problems qualifying, and had known what to expect on the course. I know he's doing the show because he was ordered to do it, I'm positive he despises it as much as everyone else.

I think the show is horrible personally, if anyone is inspired to work for us after watching that then please don't apply because we don't need you. I sure hope people don't believe a Deputy Chief, Colonel, Captain, and Two Sergeants are rolling around answering calls and kicking some ***. Anyone above the rank of Lieutenant would need help turning on their radio, much less make actual attempts on thwarting crime.

@Irish- It was part of the old course, they didn't show the complete course only part of it. We have a new course now, and I personally liked it considering I scored 116 out of 120 ;)

So does this mean I can i have your autograph??? j/p

Good Luck

Nobody
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
http://forums.officer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23justify

Harshy
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
In my opinion, another show that featured Jefferson Parish was A LOT better than this, and won't be back for a second season was The Rookies. Please bring that show back and dump this show ASAP.

HEDP
12-03-2009, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, another show that featured Jefferson Parish was A LOT better than this, and won't be back for a second season was The Rookies. Please bring that show back and dump this show ASAP.

I liked the show the Rookies.

davidh304
12-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Is probably the finest piece of television produced.......................I would say ever.

Fugitive Hunter
12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Has anyone seen it yet? Whats it like?

Kycop28
12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
So, he is a RESERVE but yet I see him telling what I believe to be Regular Officers what to do. Oh yeah and he doesn't wear a seatbelt, he can knock the windshield out of the way b4 he is thrown from the vehicle.

DAL
12-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm glad I didn't watch it. It sounds like an embarrassment to reserve officers everywhere.

creolecop
12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
^ Yes Sir !!!!

I heard sir more then any TV show....

I'll spare my buddys name but I have a friend who works there. Will even be in some of the episodes and he told me,

A Deputy asked seagal how to reference him in terms of what to call him. The deputy didn't know how to address him. Seagal told him, oh it doesn't matter, whatever. Well a few days later the Sheriff sent out a letter stating that he will be called Sir. So obviously he ran to the Sheriff crying about not being addressed with proper respect. So now they have to call him Sir. The Sheriff made him cut the pony tail off. He also is far from beloved at the dept from my understanding also there are alot of rolled eyes :rolleyes: when he's around.

VChopefull
12-03-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll spare my buddys name but I have a friend who works there. Will even be in some of the episodes and he told me,

A Deputy asked seagal how to reference him in terms of what to call him. The deputy didn't know how to address him. Seagal told him, oh it doesn't matter, whatever. Well a few days later the Sheriff sent out a letter stating that he will be called Sir. So obviously he ran to the Sheriff crying about not being addressed with proper respect. So now they have to call him Sir. The Sheriff made him cut the pony tail off. He also is far from beloved at the dept from my understanding also there are alot of rolled eyes :rolleyes: when he's around.

Why does the chief have such a soft spot for him??

Why would he issue a deoartment wide memo to call a RESERVE sir???

WingLaw
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Executive producer Steven Segal. Hahah what a joke this show is!

VChopefull
12-03-2009, 07:20 PM
The show is VERY cheesy....

But beyond that, It makes the full time Police Officers look like idiots. They are the ones who have made a career out of it. They are on the show looking up to him???? He is a movie star who is a good shot and is good at karate....BIG DEAL!!! WHO CARES...

I would be a marksman and a karate expert if I was super wealthy too...

The should not call him sir and they should not call him "Chief Segal" Ridiculous.

sigcopper
12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
what a bunch of poop.

StainlessSteve
12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I thought SS was going to have to set down by the way he was breathing, he only ran to the front of his car too :D

IAO
12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
He didnt wear his seat belt

AvgJoe
12-03-2009, 10:18 PM
4 times to say that AvgJoe ???
I hope you earn your POSTING on here

Sorry 'bout that...My screen froze and it didn't look like it was posting.

On another note...SS wearing his vest on the outside while everyone else is "normal" just reminds me of Reno 911 which is a FAR SUPERIOR show.

Time for Lt. Dangle to make Captain...Or Deputy Chief.

Also, I wonder what A&E would do after reading all these posts, from real Cops.

StainlessSteve
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM

The "Rookies" was a great show, are they going to bring it back, anyone know? The one thing that made it good is that you could follow their FT, see them accomplish things and mess up things to become full on LEO's or to washout, liked it..

Taylor13
12-04-2009, 12:14 AM
The "Rookies" was a great show, are they going to bring it back, anyone know? The one thing that made it good is that you could follow their FT, see them accomplish things and mess up things to become full on LEO's or to washout, liked it..

Watching it.. saw the chase scene, watching firearms qual. "Chief Seagal" wtf?

Harshy
12-04-2009, 01:02 AM
No, A&E said they were not bring The Rookies back for a second season. Maybe if we complain about this crappy show, they will bring the other, more superior show back.

BTW, did anybody notice when the guy runs with the gun. One shot shows SS with a long sleeve shirt. The next time he is in short sleeves. Then back to long next time they show him, then back to short again. Pretty retarded if you ask me haha.

towncop
12-04-2009, 01:09 AM

Seems to me that the guys riding around with Segal, a colonel, a captain, sergeants, etc., are all in the JPSO reserve unit. If you all notice, Segal had what, two or three stars on his shoulder. From what I found on Google, Segal is the reserve unit commander. That would make sense with the Col., Capt. and such riding around, answering calls. I watched it tonight. A bit cheesy at times, but no more cheesy from what I saw then those broads from Broward County. Segal seems to sincerely care for the safety and well-being of the street officers. But that's just my .02.

towncop
12-04-2009, 01:10 AM
The show is VERY cheesy....

But beyond that, It makes the full time Police Officers look like idiots. They are the ones who have made a career out of it. They are on the show looking up to him???? He is a movie star who is a good shot and is good at karate....BIG DEAL!!! WHO CARES...

I would be a marksman and a karate expert if I was super wealthy too....
Yeah, cause money is the only reason he's a martial arts expert and a good shot. :rolleyes:

Steelers5
12-04-2009, 01:11 AM
The editing is goofy. Dislike it when came back from a commercial and repeat the previous 10 seconds.

Seagal is a big guy, Did not realize that. I'll watch a few more shows intoxicated

Phouse70
12-04-2009, 01:28 AM
What is your opinions of this show compared to the female officers show?

Frankly I think they picked some bad examples of female officers.

My favorite scene is when a guy takes of running, hops the fence, and almost gets away while she runs the long way around. Upon approaching the suspect who had been tackled and cuffed by assisting officers, she gets in his face and says "this is why you never run from me!"

My best friends mother was a plainclothes officer in the combat zone in Boston when she worked in Boston, then join the horseback unit after a little bit. She believes that women should face the same standards as men. I highly doubt that these women could complete those measures. But growing up looking up to her and her husband (both former BPD, left for suburbs to raise family), I would have preferred a selection of better women for the show.

I havent seen the Seagal show, but it sounds like I shouldnt waste my time.

I would say Third Watch was a good show, but I havent seen that since I was a little kid, so I hardly remember plot lines...

JPSO Recruit
12-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Seems to me that the guys riding around with Segal, a colonel, a captain, sergeants, etc., are all in the JPSO reserve unit. If you all notice, Segal had what, two or three stars on his shoulder. From what I found on Google, Segal is the reserve unit commander. That would make sense with the Col., Capt. and such riding around, answering calls. I watched it tonight. A bit cheesy at times, but no more cheesy from what I saw then those broads from Broward County. Segal seems to sincerely care for the safety and well-being of the street officers. But that's just my .02.

No the Colonel, Captain, and 2 Sgt's are all full time Deputy Sheriff's, Seagal is a reserve Deputy Chief. If we want to use technicalities here, I as a full time Deputy Sheriff technically have more power and say over Seagal, however I wouldn't have a job tomorrow if I told him something he didn't like.;)

Sincerely care? Did I miss a memo somewhere :eek: Last time I looked me and my fellow brothers have all been hitting these streets, handling the calls, and holding our own. He doesn't care, and we all know it. Last thing we need is a famous actor who isn't even POST certified riding around purposely trying to agitate things for television.

towncop
12-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Then why don't you and your brothers that are out there hitting those streets, handling the calls, and holding your own contact the POST board there in Louisana and complain about a guy walking around with a badge and gun playing cop if he has zero police authority???

And yeah, I did say it seems like he cares. Especially when it came time for the DT class at the end of the show. Sure he may be doing some of it for show, but, at least he may teach them something that may be actually used on the street. I know I saw several moves that were taught at out last DT session.

So has he been a reserve with your agency for 20 years or not?

JPSO Recruit
12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Then why don't you and your brothers that are out there hitting those streets, handling the calls, and holding your own contact the POST board there in Louisana and complain about a guy walking around with a badge and gun playing cop if he has zero police authority???

And yeah, I did say it seems like he cares. Especially when it came time for the DT class at the end of the show. Sure he may be doing some of it for show, but, at least he may teach them something that may be actually used on the street. I know I saw several moves that were taught at out last DT session.

So has he been a reserve with your agency for 20 years or not?

Per state law reserve officers aren't required to be POST certified, however our department(and most departments) mandates all reserves receive the same hours of POST as full time officers. I feel having a non POST certified reserve officer is huge liability, but that is another can of worms. The late Sheriff Harry Lee liked him, hence how he was able to skip going through a POST academy.

You can go ahead a continue thinking that way, I can't change your opinion about him. We deal with him and know what really goes on.

Steelers5
12-04-2009, 01:54 AM
No the Colonel, Captain, and 2 Sgt's are all full time Deputy Sheriff's, Seagal is a reserve Deputy Chief. If we want to use technicalities here, I as a full time Deputy Sheriff technically have more power and say over Seagal, however I wouldn't have a job tomorrow if I told him something he didn't like.;)

Sincerely care? Did I miss a memo somewhere :eek: Last time I looked me and my fellow brothers have all been hitting these streets, handling the calls, and holding our own. He doesn't care, and we all know it. Last thing we need is a famous actor who isn't even POST certified riding around purposely trying to agitate things for television.

Am I incorrect to say. POLITICS are involved heavily?

Is the sheriff office getting paid by A&E to air this crap?

towncop
12-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Per state law reserve officers aren't required to be POST certified, however our department(and most departments) mandates all reserves receive the same hours of POST as full time officers. I feel having a non POST certified reserve officer is huge liability, but that is another can of worms. The late Sheriff Harry Lee liked him, hence how he was able to skip going through a POST academy.

You can go ahead a continue thinking that way, I can't change your opinion about him. We deal with him and know what really goes on.
Hey bud, I didn't say he was "Super Cop." I'm just asking questions and making comments on what's shown. ;)

Steelers5
12-04-2009, 01:58 AM
towncop, seagal is super deputy not cop :)

Sgt. Slaughter
12-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Thanks for wasting bandwith for telling me I'm waisting bandwith.
It's not a waste to point out your shortcoming. And it's "bandwidth." Christ, I already spelled it, you quoted it and you still got it wrong - twice.

Wasting, not "waisting".

Just another free service I offer here at the O.

Homie.
I ain't your "homie".

mallninja
12-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Him training his Captain to BARELY pass under a 0 stress situation was very unimpressive.

Around here we create as much stress as possible when qualifying to try and train as we work. There is no deep breathing and zen frame of mind when you are being shot at.

Now if you passed by 1 point stressed out that is much more impressive then shooting a perfect score unstressed in my book.

cubsfan07
12-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone watched the new A&E show with Steven Seagal as a cop. Apparently he has been a "Reserve Deputy" for the past 20 years in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. The show seems ok, thoughts from anyone else?

LEJAmav
12-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Post Deleted By Author

blueline1032
12-04-2009, 03:54 AM
I find it interesting that he rides in a caravan of two SUVs with a combined total of five officers in them, all command level (sergeant and above). It doesn't seem like they respond to calls either, just look for stuff to get into and then turn it over to a patrol deputy.

mavriktu
12-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks for wasting bandwidth. Starting a new thread about Steven Segal's show when there's already one going on was pure genius. :rolleyes:

Actually there are 2 going on,so now there are 3 wasting bandwidth.:eek::D

wpd1207
12-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't know. Somebody loves the camera. This zen, etc..., it's a little too much. I don't want to say anymore.

yellowreef
12-04-2009, 08:21 AM
So, he is a RESERVE but yet I see him telling what I believe to be Regular Officers what to do.

Well, that's because the rank of "Chief" and his "stardom" give him a big head. He also rides with only Sgts and above in two vehicles, makes me wonder if all that brass is reserve too. I noticed the telling people what to do. However, if you watch the episode where they are in pursuit of the carjacker with a rifle, he gets checked hard and they quickly switch to another take. In an actual pursuit he is trying to tell the driver what do to, and it goes something like:

Seagal: "Go right!"
Driver: "Let me drive."
Seagal: (apologetic tone) "I'm just spotting openings for you."

I almost peed my pants with that one. They just cut to another take and he never gave more "directions" for the rest of the pursuit.

yellowreef
12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
The funniest comment (besides him getting checked hard while being a back seat driver during the pursuit) was something like "I sometimes forget that he is a movie star until we get around people, for us he is another one of the guys, just another cop"

Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder who wrote that line for the guy LOL :eek:

SOI
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Last thing we need is a famous actor who isn't even POST certified

Per state law reserve officers aren't required to be POST certified,

Wow, that's pretty backwards and scary.

kannahspapa
12-04-2009, 09:36 AM
It's a fairly good copy of Reno 911.

irishlad2nv
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Am I incorrect to say. POLITICS are involved heavily?

Is the sheriff office getting paid by A&E to air this crap?

You know very well that they are getting a cut someway, somehow, just like when they installed the red light cameras throughout the parish...money went to the SO!

SOI, it's scary and a reality and it's like that all over the state. Some agencies, such as Baton Rouge PD make them attend an actual reserve police academy, which last up to 6 months or more (since it is at night/part-time), however most Sheriff's just give thei Kin a badge and they are reserve deputies.

Anderson Cooper summed up a brief meeting up with Segal right after Katrina. The guy did nothing for the city/area as many actors did, but say they assisted, etc.

Nightshift va
12-04-2009, 10:14 AM
So, he is a RESERVE but yet I see him telling what I believe to be Regular Officers what to do. Oh yeah and he doesn't wear a seatbelt, he can knock the windshield out of the way b4 he is thrown from the vehicle.

He used to be a reserve officer for over twenty years. Now he is the Acting Chief. The reason he doesn't wear his seatbelt is because they jump out on people so often it's not practical, notice he buckles up when they start a pursuit of respond code. Also, it's funny because the lowest rank guy in his small street crimes group is a sergeant! How many places you know where the actual working guys on the street wear gold on their collar? Notice also how they always have their "interior" lights on in their patrol suv for the TV effect. Im with most on here, it's kind of hokie and I laugh when I hear those guys giving thugs "lectures" as if they could care less about what some cop says to them. I think it's the oldest group of "rookies" ive ever seen in my life. Im gonna give it a chance though and watch a few more. Waiting for "Zen master" to snap off someone.

KnuckleHead08
12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm waiting for Chuck Norris to come out saying he is a Reserve Officer as well and show Seagal how it is really done.

Saint84
12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Was just curious if anyone watched the new show and how you all liked it. I didn't get a chance to watch it.

Thank you for your time

jthorpe
12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't like any of the "reality" cop shows and personally feel that if you're stupid enough to put yourself on television in shows like this, then you're in this job for the wrong reasons.... period.

Nobody
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134965&page=4

jthorpe
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Shaq is a sworn LEO..he attended the Academy in CA and completed the certification for out of state LEOs in FL whn he lived in Miami.

Isn't Eric Estrada also certified?

Saint84
12-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry about that, and thanks

deputync
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
It's not a waste to point out your shortcoming. And it's "bandwidth." Christ, I already spelled it, you quoted it and you still got it wrong - twice.

Wasting, not "waisting".

I ain't your "homie".

AMEN!

davidh304
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
We need more celebrity cops, they could like you know.....SAVE THE WORLD! :eek::D

VChopefull
12-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, cause money is the only reason he's a martial arts expert and a good shot. :rolleyes:

Obviously thats not what I ment.

What I'm saying, is that he has all the time in the world to become a marksman and a karate expert..

To me it makes the other Deputies look bad when they are constantly calling him sir and Chief……He is a RESERVE.

I’m not discrediting his extensive karate knowledge or his obvious shooting talent. But why should the Sheriff make all the FULL TIME deputies call a RESERVE sir???

Because he was in movies??

Sgt. Slaughter
12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Don't know when he got into shooting, but he was an Aikido blackbelt before he started his film career. It's called "priorities" and they're different to all of us.

I watched the show for about 5 minutes and had to turn it off. The part of it I saw sucked horribly and I couldn't watch any more of it. Hell, I've worked with full-time cops who show up on a scene and I roll my eyes at the things they do, so to have it happen to a reserve deputy isn't a big deal to me.

On the other hand, he's been down there for 20 years. Yes, I know he's an actor. But can't we for just a few minutes be happy that someone from Hollywood isn't using their fame to slam the police after being arrested for DUI with a bag full of nose candy and a car full of hookers???

I don't work with him, but at least he's making an effort to help, rather than stand on the sidelines and bitch about everything like so many others would do. I don't think he does it for the fame or else we would have heard about this YEARS ago. 20 years with that agency has given him plenty of time to gloat about his position if he wanted to do so.

blackhorse
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Well being from here, and a big Steven Seagal fan, of course I watched it. How disappointing. He's truly hit the bottom of the barrel. I know JP doesn't operate like that, and I'll tell you this, I don't care who he is, there is no way a Reserve (regardless of rank) will arrive on scene with 15 other full time cops there already and assume control of a situation. Steven holds an honorary reserve commission and he is not now and probably never will be qualified to do this job. His reality series is really just real TV.

VChopefull
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Don't know when he got into shooting, but he was an Aikido blackbelt before he started his film career. It's called "priorities" and they're different to all of us.

I watched the show for about 5 minutes and had to turn it off. The part of it I saw sucked horribly and I couldn't watch any more of it. Hell, I've worked with full-time cops who show up on a scene and I roll my eyes at the things they do, so to have it happen to a reserve deputy isn't a big deal to me.

On the other hand, he's been down there for 20 years. Yes, I know he's an actor. But can't we for just a few minutes be happy that someone from Hollywood isn't using their fame to slam the police after being arrested for DUI with a bag full of nose candy and a car full of hookers???

I don't work with him, but at least he's making an effort to help, rather than stand on the sidelines and bitch about everything like so many others would do. I don't think he does it for the fame or else we would have heard about this YEARS ago. 20 years with that agency has given him plenty of time to gloat about his position if he wanted to do so.

Good point!

I dont have a problem with him at all! I agree it's refreshing that he is on the right side of the law.

My problem is that the Sheriff, issued a memo to all the Deputies that said they all must refer to and address Mr. Segal as Sir. It's silly to have FULL TIME Deputies calling the reserve sir. I'm not saying he dosent deserve respect (they're all on the same team) but to the public it makes the Deputies look incompetant and Mr. Segal looks like he knows wayyyy more than FULL TIME street cops.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
My problem is that the Sheriff, issued a memo to all the Deputies that said they all must refer to and address Mr. Segal as Sir. It's silly to have FULL TIME Deputies calling the reserve sir. I'm not saying he dosent deserve respect (they're all on the same team) but to the public it makes the Deputies look incompetant and Mr. Segal looks like he knows wayyyy more than FULL TIME street cops.
Don't know why it's a "problem" to you. You don't work for the Sheriff, nor are you required to address Steven Seagal by ANY title.

'Sir' is a respectful way to address someone. Evidently he's put in his time with the department and holds an Assistant Chief rank in the reserves. Would you rather hear the deputies call him Steven, Steve or Assistant Chief Seagal? Again, I don't know what the customs and courtesies are in LA, but they may be a bit more formal than other places.

For me, 'Sir' is fine. And, it's ultimately the Sheriff's call.

loring1970
12-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a serious problem with guys, whether they're famous or not, that want to play cop. I know they're are others out there, like the guy from 'Leave it to Beaver' (reserve LAPD) and Ernie Hudson (reseverve LASD) that seem to have wanted to do the job with little fanfare. Shows like SS's and others (remember Erik Estrada and those other B-List reality stars in that Indiana town?) just dont take the job too seriously.

SS is a tool.....he always had been. This show will only make him look as foolish and arrogant that I think he already is. No amount of creative editing will can make this goof anymore uninteresting than he already is.

NOTE: If this show were honest, and you put SS in the passenger seat with a seasoned patrol deputy, without the BS....without the self serving comments, taking routine calls for service, it might have been a more intersting show...one that I might have watched.

statebear
12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm waiting for Chuck Norris to come out saying he is a Reserve Officer as well and show Seagal how it is really done.

Ranger Walker would kick Segal's ***.....:eek:

GrndPnd0311
12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I think if I heard another ZEN comment I was going to enlist the powers of Chuck Norris to roundhouse Seagull back to his finer Chef days in the Navy. (yea...that was an Under Siege plug.)

I want to see if the zen master can use his powers, a la Matrix style, in a shootout. Stuff dont make you bullet proof stevie!

VChopefull
12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't know why it's a "problem" to you. You don't work for the Sheriff, nor are you required to address Steven Seagal by ANY title.

'Sir' is a respectful way to address someone. Evidently he's put in his time with the department and holds an Assistant Chief rank in the reserves. Would you rather hear the deputies call him Steven, Steve or Assistant Chief Seagal? Again, I don't know what the customs and courtesies are in LA, but they may be a bit more formal than other places.

For me, 'Sir' is fine. And, it's ultimately the Sheriff's call.

Correct I don’t work for the Sheriff and chances are I will never meet Steven Segal.

Would you call a reserve that is riding with you “sir”???

I don’t see the need to “assign” him a certain title…..do you? What do you call reserves that you work with or other Officer’s/Deputies that are your same rank?

I agree, Ultimatley it is the Sheriff’s call……..I just disagree with issuing a department wide memo for Steven Segal to be called sir. It’s not about the fill time Deputies feelings….It’s about the way it looks to the public….He is a movie star, who is a reserve police officer. He is not a full time Sgt or Lt…….ect.

Narco
12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
chuck norris > steven segal

lawman is a joke

/thread

Garbage Man
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
This could get like the Fort Hod shooting where there were so many threads I just gave up posting on it.

Also, just checking, is anyone seriously endorsing this show? I have never watched it yet know its stupid in the same way I know the real housewives of the OC is stupid.

towncop
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Wasting, not "waisting".

I ain't your "homie".

Devil Dog......you crack me up! :D:cool:

beachcop05
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
They weren't using very good tactics. That pursuit of that guy with the rifle, they surround the car (crossfire), and then rush up to his car and pull him out, instead of doing a high-risk vehicle stop. They were lucky the guy didn't shoot them when they were rushing up to his car.

And then there was another scene I think where they saw a pedestrian with a gun, and do the same thing. Basically rush him and tackle him. Since when do we do that on a person with a gun?? You know they all received high-risk stop training in the academy...why aren't they using it?

yeah...I didn't think too much of the show...

RadioCheck
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
You forgot to mention they are all like 50 yrs plus and hes supposed to be the duputy chief?? wtf man

Jail Guard7160
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
You forgot to mention they are all like 50 yrs plus and hes supposed to be the duputy chief?? wtf man

I heard they are going to make the Ofc Mo show

Sgt. Slaughter
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Would you call a reserve that is riding with you “sir”???
Probably. Especially if he's been doing it for 20 friggin' years and is assigned rank by my boss.

I don’t see the need to “assign” him a certain title…..do you? What do you call reserves that you work with or other Officer’s/Deputies that are your same rank?
Assign him a title? You mean like rewarding him for 20 years of volunteering by making him Deputy Chief? If I worked with a Reserve Lieutenant or Captain and they wore rank while working, I'd address them by their rank.

I agree, Ultimatley it is the Sheriff’s call……..I just disagree with issuing a department wide memo for Steven Segal to be called sir. It’s not about the fill time Deputies feelings….It’s about the way it looks to the public….He is a movie star, who is a reserve police officer. He is not a full time Sgt or Lt…….ect.
Then we need to find out how his department refers to the other brass. If they're all referred to as "sir" then there'd be no difference and this point moot, correct?

cclawdog
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I heard they are going to make the Ofc Mo show

ROFLMFAO!! You know he's packing his bag and on the next plane to Tinsel Town!

District B 13
12-04-2009, 09:54 PM
His waist is going to waste.

yellowreef
12-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't see a problem with addressing him as "sir". Someone saw fit to make him a chief (reserve or not), and you don't go around calling chiefs by their first name even if you consider them the biggest tool in the world.

DOAcop38
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
It's a fairly good copy of Reno 911.

in a sentence- " one sad joke ,with a BLOATED B- movie <* cough*> star".......

shdep
12-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Is probably the finest piece of television produced.......................I would say ever.

With ALL DUE RESPECT Mr Seagal....Its not that good. Stop advertising your show on Police forums.

jthorpe
12-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Slaughter has a point. I mean the guy was there for 19.5 years or so without a whole lot of people knowing about it until now. So for that, I commend the man.

ptcop531
12-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Although I have a problem with a memo being sent out advising all officers to address SS as 'Sir'...It's only common courtesy to address men you come into contact with as such...

What I have seen in this thread is that full time officers seem to have a problem addressing Reserves in general as 'Sir', as though Reserves are beneath them. I try to refer to all men, cops or not, as 'Sir'.

Stop Resisting
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
I got a kick out of this show. I laughed everytime they slowed down for "Seagal Vision". It's no Cops, or Rookies for that matter. But hey:

"It's not just a show, it's an adventure"

Sarge048
12-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I saw this show the other night. It was a choice between this and Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory show. UGH!!! I think I'm going to go back to reading superhero comics.

Also, can anyone tell me why Segal had stars on. Does he have some kind of rank?? This guy was a terrible actor and as far as I could tell not much better as a Police Officer.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Also, can anyone tell me why Segal had stars on. Does he have some kind of rank?? This guy was a terrible actor and as far as I could tell not much better as a Police Officer.

Did you NOT read the 178 posts before yours? :confused:

Sarge048
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Did you NOT read the 178 posts before yours? :confused:

No I didn't it was hard enough for me to watch approx. 10mins of the show. Can you enlighten me??

Sgt. Slaughter
12-05-2009, 07:31 PM
No I didn't it was hard enough for me to watch approx. 10mins of the show. Can you enlighten me??

No.

Sarge048
12-05-2009, 07:41 PM
No.

Well thank you very little. I guess I'll have to look back at the past 178comments to find the answer to a very simple question. If you have sat here and read the 178 posts why not just tell me!:(:(

Sgt. Slaughter
12-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Because you're lazy. Go read.

Sarge048
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Because you're lazy. Go read.

Hey don't make me use my frequent flyer miles and come down there and whip your AZ arse. :)

Sgt. Slaughter
12-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Bring it, old man.

Sarge048
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Bring it, old man.

"I'm probably 20yrs older than you. I've had my hip broke once and my back broke twice and on my worse day I could still knock the hell out of you."
-John Wayne (The Cowboys)

You're cracking me up today Slaughter. Come on just give me the answer. You must be a Segal fan and I've offended you.

jswwjw
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Pure public entertainment. Did not see any comments from anyone at JPSO yet and Sgt. Slaughter, breath bro, breath and DavidH304 funniest thread of the year. Thanks for the lol.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Pure public entertainment. Did not see any comments from anyone at JPSO yet and Sgt. Slaughter, breath bro, breath and DavidH304 funniest thread of the year. Thanks for the lol.

I am breathing. It's what allows me to post moments of pure genius through my fingertips.

APD20XX
12-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Anybody catch I believe the first two episodes? Hard to judge thus far but Segal looks like he has his stuff together when it comes to shooting proficiency and protecting himself. I'll keep watching though....

JTShooter
12-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Eh, watched one episode... but can't really stand the man, so I can't stomach to watch more...

benron
12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Anybody catch I believe the first two episodes? Hard to judge thus far but Segal looks like he has his stuff together when it comes to shooting proficiency and protecting himself. I'll keep watching though....

i watched it,it was pretty good,i'll watch again. I never knew he was a 20yr deputy sheriff

phillyrube
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh man, I love Seagal, from his great one-liners like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jji78uEW14), to his impeccable martial arts skills, or to his unreal character names in movies like these:
-Nico Toscani
-Mason Storm
-Casey Ryback
-Forrest Taft
-Jack Taggart
-Wesley McClaren
-Orin Boyd
-Sasha Petrosevitch
or my favorite, Gino Felino.

That's Navy CHIEF -Casey Ryback:D

phillyrube
12-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Some neighborhoods I work, when I pull in I automatically unhook the belt...

12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I thought the show sucked. Had a hard time actually believing this was real law enforcement. Seagal must be broke or something, because he's definitely in the gutter with this show. What really sucks is the Sheriff of that Parish allows such trash to be aired with the name of his agency on it.

I am glad he's been a reserve for many years, but this show obviously caters to the trailer park and Dog the Bounty Hunter crowd, as there is a large degree of fiction and enhanced drama involved. Seagal and his posse of fellow reserves who all were mystery supervisors are clearly not streetwise veterans. And Seagal does not know how to talk to turds. Low budget too. Probably more money spent on editing than on filming. Those defense tactic trainings were a joke. All that shyt Seagal is teaching like he invented it is stuff we've been taught for years. Poor Officer safety, I could go on and on.

But, who knows; it will probably be a big hit lol.

12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
That show is a joke. Can't believe it's real law enforcement.

APD20XX
12-06-2009, 12:50 AM
So that means you didn't like it? Haha

towncop
12-06-2009, 01:14 AM
How long is the Reserve Academy in Indiana? Didn't the "Armed and Fabulous" people become reserve Muncie, IN officers after just 40 hours of academy training?

To become a "Reserve" Police Officer in Indiana, you only need to have the 40 hour "pre-basic" class. Basically, 40 hours of what you can/can't do, along with 8 hrs of firearms/DT training. After that, you can be sworn in as a reserve at a department. Also, all FULL TIME police officers have to have this class as well and have to attend the 15-week Basic Course within one year to become a certified police officer. You don't do this within one year, you lose your police powers.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-06-2009, 01:22 AM
You don't do this within one year, you lose your police powers.

Oh snap! It's like kryptonite for cops!!!!!!

:D

JSD73
12-06-2009, 01:56 AM
20 year RESERVE Deputy Sheriff. Reserves here only have to put in 16hours per month, and as such,my department has let that requirement slide for many a reserve.

I'm not knocking reserves but we had one who had 20 some odd years and claimed he was just as experienced as anyone and when his actual 'ride' time was calculated, he had a total of maybe a bit over a year of actual patrol time.

And I watched an episode and couldn't stomach it....GO JOHNNY GO, DRIVE. Will you let me drive Steven!

No thanks.

flydream777
12-06-2009, 02:43 AM
CodeSeven, he is a RESERVE Deputy Chief....a Dep Chief of the RESERVE SPECIAL SERVICES. That's what it says in the credits.... I would be willing to bet my pay check that he does not have command/authority over sworn full time NON-RESERVE deputies!

Here is the organizational chart from the dept website: http://www1.jpso.com/OrgChart/Default.aspx. The reserves are separate, and coincidentally, AT THE BOTTOM of the chart...

Sarge048
12-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Wasn't Seagal also in that ridiculous show that had Eric Estrada, and Latoya Jackson as cops? Celebrity cops or something like that.

flydream777
12-06-2009, 02:49 AM
BTW, how many sworn deputies does the Parish have, that there are 18 deputy chiefs, along with Colonels, Majors, and Captains???? Isnt that more rank than even some State Police agencies?

Sarge048
12-06-2009, 03:04 AM
That show was a joke and Steven Seagal is a joke!! It was a bad night for Tv all around with him and Jesse Ventura on Conspiracy Theory.

HEDP
12-06-2009, 04:33 AM

Was that the brass's request, the show's request to the brass, or Seagul's request?

Michigan
12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I LOL when he ordered other officers around. And then I changed the channel.

Gunhand
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I am glad he's been a reserve for many years, but this show obviously caters to the trailer park and Dog the Bounty Hunter crowd,

I live in a trailer park and never watch Dog or Segal......too busy with spinning the antenna to get better reception when Americas Next Top Model is on and cutting the grass around my car.

RoadKingTrooper
12-06-2009, 09:24 AM
I live in a trailer park and never watch Dog or Segal......too busy with spinning the antenna to get better reception when Americas Next Top Model is on and cutting the grass around my car.

Yup, and you can probably still see and hear it through your neighbors windows:)

jswwjw
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Still have not heard from any Jefferson Parish S.O. members. Real or fake.

Smurfette_76
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
The real Deputies that are in the position to work around him and him crew have my upmost sympathy.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
They're in one of the other 5 threads about Steven Seagal and this show...

District B 13
12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd take one of the copies of each booking sheet he signs and sell them on E Bay.

JPSO Recruit
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
BTW, how many sworn deputies does the Parish have, that there are 18 deputy chiefs, along with Colonels, Majors, and Captains???? Isnt that more rank than even some State Police agencies?

We have over 1500.

@HEDP- Who knows, but we have some ideas.

WCSO
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
20 year RESERVE Deputy Sheriff

Yeah, they left that part out. What a joke.

iamacop
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Steven Seagal is a badass!!! (but the brotha needs a little more cardio in his life)

Wade95
12-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Look, the guy is a master at his fighting skills, he is a "dead nutz" shot, but 20yrs as a reserve deputy and his "rank" is "deputy chief???" Yeah, he seemed a little to "alpha dog" to me barking orders at everyone. I want to see him shagging calls like a normal person instead of running the show on every call he goes on.

masterchief_13
12-06-2009, 02:02 PM
This show is so fake,a capt. who needed a reserve officer to help him practice for a shooting qualification??Are you kidding!?1

EspoMan
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
This show is so fake,a capt. who needed a reserve officer to help him practice for a shooting qualification??Are you kidding!?1I said the exact same thing.

yellowreef
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Look, the guy is a master at his fighting skills, he is a "dead nutz" shot, but 20yrs as a reserve deputy and his "rank" is "deputy chief???" Yeah, he seemed a little to "alpha dog" to me barking orders at everyone. I want to see him shagging calls like a normal person instead of running the show on every call he goes on.

I'd like to address the good shot comment, because you are not the only one to have made it. Give me a tricked out 1911, all the time in the world between shots, put the target 10 feet away from me, and I'll shoot you a smiley face a la Lethal Weapon. The target was way close, and the camera only showed the target (not who was shooting or how far away) when the follow-up shots were being placed. Not saying he can't shoot, but he could very well be a better than average shooter, who is made out to be a perfect shot. By the way everything else on this show is staged, I wouldn't doubt this is too.

jc3855
12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
WOW such haters:) hahaha. Take it for what it is fellow posters....A dept generating some publicity, DPD did it with SWAT and First 48 ( of course these were much better shows haha) and they are about to do it again with a show similar to Police Women of Broward County shot at DPD.

However i do agree that Steven needs a bit more cardio!

11b101abn
12-06-2009, 03:39 PM
It looks over the top to me. He has way too much rank to be credible. If he was a corporal or sergeant, maybe a different story.

I did notice that the agency seems to be very chaotic, and unorganized. That was the impression anyways. Not formal in the slightest way.

I could be off the mark though.

K9krazy21
12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Guys, I think there are alot of us out there that need more cardio.. I for one do!!!

Yes, some reserves are lazy and don't even work the minimum hours, but not all..

Look at it like this, the man is a millionaire and still has been doing this for 20 plus years.. I can honestly say he is a better man than me, I can't say for sure If I would do the same if I was rich..

APD20XX
12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, they left that part out. What a joke.
Yeah, because they guy would be a FULL TIME officer while making movies. C'mon JSD73 & WSCO...

iamacop
12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
If I had his money, I'd buy the department like
how ocp did in robocop...

Brader
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought that whole part was rather interesting. The "Captain" needed shooting advise from Seagal so he could pass his qual???? All those guys are obviously reserves (which are still allowed just about total freedom it seems). They never make mention of it though, you have to look at the credits after the show.

And yeah they were shooting from very close. Not sure why they had about 2 dozen guns of various makes and calibers either. Even the actual qual session looked like a joke.

brad601
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I like Chuck Norris. He's a certified and licensed reserve Peace Officer. But he doesn't need a show to proove hes a Bad *****. Unless you coun't Walker Texas Ranger. Besides Chuck Norris would beat down Segal any day of the week in fact I heard that underneath Cuck Norris' beard lies another fist and Cuck Norris doesn't sleep he waits. I also heard that Cuck Norris' tears can cure cancer the problim is Cuck Norris doesn't cry.... EVER! and every year 1 lucky kitten is selected to be roundhouse kicked into the sun by Chuck Norris. :)

brad601
12-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Cuck Norris holds a reserve Texas Peace Officer Commission. He just doesn't need to advertise to make a buck. He does it because he loves it.

yellowreef
12-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Even the actual qual session looked like a joke.

Yeah, apparently out of a 1200 man department the captain was the only one qualifying that day. Then again, they mentioned once a year so that may be true. At our quals they turn people away all the time because 40 guys will show up the same day and there aren't spots.

JSD73
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, because they guy would be a FULL TIME officer while making movies. C'mon JSD73 & WSCO...

I'm not gonna crawl and fawn all over the guy because he's a celebrity who happens to have a badge. That's great for him but there's a Deputy on the forums who works for that agency who said a few insider things about how the man really is, and how the show is set up in a thread about this very same thing.

I don't knock reserves, we have them at my agency, but the vast majority I've dealt with come in, and as soon as they check on duty take an hour and a half dinner and then come on, maybe make a couple of traffic stops, never check the call holding screen, and while we work the 12s, they go out of service at 7 hours into the shift. I'd imagine, this may be what Mr Seagal does to garner some of the 'insider' comments he received.

Funny, Ronnie Coleman competed actively while working Full time with Arlington....alot of departments love that kinda PR. I am not knocking him for not working for full time, I wish I had his money, but call it like it is, he's Deputy Chief of the Reserves, I highly doubt he's out there in the thick of things working all by his lonesome. I'm just sayin.....

iamacop
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Chuck could whip him.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Cuck Norris holds a reserve Texas Peace Officer Commission. He just doesn't need to advertise to make a buck. He does it because he loves it.

That's because he's busy selling the Total Gym and endorsing political candidates. He's kept his face out there even without doing movies.

Remember, Steven Seagal has been a reserve for 20 years and only now has the rest of the world found out about it.

Sarge048
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
The only reason I would watch this show is if they have an episode where Seagal has to arrest Jean Claude Vandamm while he's all strung out on the crack.

K9krazy21
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Ronnie Coleman was not a full time officer for Arlington, he was a reserve.. Which brings up a whole other topic! Why would they left him be an officer when eveeryone and there brother know's he has used steriods??

JSD73
12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Ronnie Coleman became a cop in 1989 and did work full time for them for a little over ten years I believe and near the end of his bb'ing career retired and then became a reserve, first with APD and then a hospital district I believe.

He was natural early on in his career, and if they don't ever test him and play ignorant then so be it. What I was told by one individual at the agency was that they loved him for the PR he brang to the department....

hpd42
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey atleast the guy is not on some tv show somewhere bad mouthing cops and everything we do. He is a reserve who has been on for a long time. I'd rather have him than some of the reserves i have had the pleasure of working with. I give him credit for going out there. But again he is no Chuck Norris...

hpd42
12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Personally, I give him credit. He is going out and serving his community, regardless of how much actual police work he does. And he is not a cop hater who goes out and criticizes everything an officer does. Plus you have to remember he has a lot of money and im sure every $hitum he deals with is sueing him personally for one thing or another. But he is not Chuck Norris...

DOAcop38
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM

..'nother difference is that Chuck is much more humble, and would rather do "community service" for Tex L.E. by showing up for benefits,recruiting, parades, and outreach( once saw a news report that Chuck visited with Dallas officers some seriously sick kids in a hospital).Doubt Chuck Norris would run around in the streets and GET IN THE WAY of the working stiffs who have to put their necks on the line...

K9krazy21
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I was wrong, He evidently was a full time officer for Arlington and then later became a reserve. However, he is a tool!!!! Publicity, yeah I guess it would help a little, but doubtful. We are suppose to set an example, not be "ignorant" to someone breaking the law.

I tend to think that there would be more, Umm he's a poster child for steriod's and not good for Arlington p.d. to have him on in the public's eye.

For all of you that say, he's no tool heres a little something for you all!!!
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/crime/stories/052309dnmetbodybuilderarrest.c9ebd29.html

M-11
12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
This show is awesome wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Been drinkin tonight...

Sgt. Slaughter
12-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Dude. You just gave away the season finale.

Way to go, bro. :(

VChopefull
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
CodeSeven, he is a RESERVE Deputy Chief....a Dep Chief of the RESERVE SPECIAL SERVICES. That's what it says in the credits.... I would be willing to bet my pay check that he does not have command/authority over sworn full time NON-RESERVE deputies!

Here is the organizational chart from the dept website: http://www1.jpso.com/OrgChart/Default.aspx. The reserves are separate, and coincidentally, AT THE BOTTOM of the chart...

Very well said!!!

I have since learned, that all of the other guys who ride with him and are in his unit are reserves as well....Which makes TOTAL sense that they are made to address him as cheif or sir. Because he is their boss.

I no longer have a problem with the show...The guys he rides with are other RESERVES and he DOES have rank over them. It all makes sense why the 'Capt' couldn't shoot and why they all worshiped Segal.

JPSO Recruit
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Very well said!!!

I have since learned, that all of the other guys who ride with him and are in his unit are reserves as well....Which makes TOTAL sense that they are made to address him as cheif or sir. Because he is their boss.

I no longer have a problem with the show...The guys he rides with are other RESERVES and he DOES have rank over them. It all makes sense why the 'Capt' couldn't shoot and why they all worshiped Segal.

For the fifth time, the guys he ride with are full time officers. He is the only reserve officer out of that group, the rest are all full time, fully sworn, completely POST certified Deputy Sheriff's. Whoever told you your information is wrong. Sorry if I'm coming off annoyed, I've addressed all of this in my previous posts and it's as if I'm talking to a wall or even Seagal himself.

VChopefull
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
For the fifth time, the guys he ride with are full time officers. He is the only reserve officer out of that group, the rest are all full time, fully sworn, completely POST certified Deputy Sheriff's. Whoever told you your information is wrong. Sorry if I'm coming off annoyed, I've addressed all of this in my previous posts and it's as if I'm talking to a wall or even Seagal himself.

Ok, I got your message now. I hear ya.

Well than I am still confused. lol.

It all made sense when I believed that the other guys were reserves.

Now I'm back where i started. lol Confused.

I will take your word for it because of your screen name. I assume your "in the know"

Thanks for the info

towguy
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I thought he died in Bangkok or something? That guy is still alive?:confused:

you are probably thinking of David Carradine from the Kung Fu series

Brader
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, I got your message now. I hear ya.

Well than I am still confused. lol.

It all made sense when I believed that the other guys were reserves.

Now I'm back where i started. lol Confused.

Same here. What exactly is the unit he is working in then? Several high ranking officers riding around with a reserve in unmarked cars? And again, a Captain that needs basic shooting lessons? I know that our reserve sgts/LT's wouldn't dare tell a sworn officer, let alone a supervisor what to do.

mallninja
12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Recruit $12.07 $2,092 $25,104
Deputy 1 $15.87 $2,750 $33,000
Deputy 2 $16.73 $2,900 $34,800
Deputy 3 $17.60 $3,050 $36,600
Deputy 4 $18.46 $3,200 $38,400

Ouch

stormz5192
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Ouch

I hope the cost of living is dirt cheap, cause our starting is around $50,000 and they are bitchin that they are poor.

JPSO Recruit
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
We're the highest paid in the state, living is cheap down here ;)

creolecop
12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I did notice that the agency seems to be very chaotic, and unorganized. That was the impression anyways. Not formal in the slightest way.

I could be off the mark though.

Yes you are waaaaay off the mark. JPSO is a great dept. The show Rookies if you didn't know was the same dept. Although this show is real, it has a different theme around it and that is a theme of a movie star cop so with a balance of entertainment and reality, rather than just reality (as in the show rookies) things may not seem all they are. For Christ sake it's following Steven Seagal through the tough streets of Jefferson parish of course it's going to be a little over the top and chaotic.

For the record, I hear he is kinda of an azzhole but nevertheless he hasn't turned into one of these tree hugging left wing hippies anti-police. He has been there for 20yrs so I guess he would be a reserve Deputy Chief by now instead of a Sgt. I think in our time of reality TV it was bound to happen when you have steven seagal on a police force. It doesn't change the fact that he has volunteered his time for 20yrs to the community he lives in. For that reason I respect the show and him.

Sgt. Slaughter
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Doesn't help there were 10 threads on the subject. The mods just got them all merged together.

You're welcome.

towncop
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
This show is awesome wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Been drinkin tonight...
Dude, this is one of the funniest posts I've seen on here in YEARS. Sgt. Slaughter, I'm upset you didn't pull this one out of your fanny! :D :D It's got something you'd say written all over it!!!

Sgt. Slaughter
12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
FML, I failed towncop.

towncop
12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Whatever Jarhead. :D

Sgt. Slaughter
12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
M-11's post coupled with my retort gave one user his "biggest laugh of the day".

I will concede M-11's post being much superior to mine.

Carry on.

phillyrube
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I like Chuck Norris. He's a certified and licensed reserve Peace Officer. But he doesn't need a show to proove hes a Bad *****. Unless you coun't Walker Texas Ranger. Besides Chuck Norris would beat down Segal any day of the week in fact I heard that underneath Cuck Norris' beard lies another fist and Cuck Norris doesn't sleep he waits. I also heard that Cuck Norris' tears can cure cancer the problim is Cuck Norris doesn't cry.... EVER! and every year 1 lucky kitten is selected to be roundhouse kicked into the sun by Chuck Norris. :)

You can cut Chuck Norris and COUNT the layers of man.......:D

flydream777
12-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Whenever they chase people or get out on a call, the editors must have skipped the radio talk, because the marked squads just show up out of nowhere. The only time Steve is on the radio is when he is talking to the other SUV it seems....

I wanna know what his call sign is when he talks to dispatch... "AZZKICKER ONE, we're chasing a 107 with a 95G!!!!" ... :D

JPSO Recruit
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Whenever they chase people or get out on a call, the editors must have skipped the radio talk, because the marked squads just show up out of nowhere. The only time Steve is on the radio is when he is talking to the other SUV it seems....

I wanna know what his call sign is when he talks to dispatch... "AZZKICKER ONE, we're chasing a 107 with a 95G!!!!" ... :D

NVM, not releasing sensitive info.

SoCalSheriff
12-08-2009, 01:08 AM
I watched 5 minutes of the show tonight....I'll never get that time back.

LINY
12-08-2009, 02:50 AM
I watched 2 minutes of the show on Youtube as well. That was almost bad enough to put me off TV.

damode1985
12-08-2009, 03:52 AM
So basically.............the show sucks

borninblue
12-08-2009, 04:10 AM
I watched it the other day, I saw the "Seagal" vision when the screen slowed down and was truly amazed. This guy is the Jesus of all policeman. I tried to convice the guys on my shift what I learned from the Zen Master, but they wouldn't listen. Well I'm off to find a 95G and boss some of the old guys around.

creolecop
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Ouch

I make about 35,000 a year and I work no overtime. I work 14 days a month. Cost of living IS dirt cheap down here. My pay here goes no where there, but my pay here would make me a big man in the slums of mexico, LOL! it's all about what it takes to live where you live. Living down here is very inexpensive. Most of our Deputies have very nice homes, of course almost everyone has a spouse that works also. You can make it on one income but two and your just fine.

901_FED
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
:rolleyes: Between Steven Seagal N Shaq

11b101abn
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes you are waaaaay off the mark. JPSO is a great dept. The show Rookies if you didn't know was the same dept. Although this show is real, it has a different theme around it and that is a theme of a movie star cop so with a balance of entertainment and reality, rather than just reality (as in the show rookies) things may not seem all they are. For Christ sake it's following Steven Seagal through the tough streets of Jefferson parish of course it's going to be a little over the top and chaotic.

For the record, I hear he is kinda of an azzhole but nevertheless he hasn't turned into one of these tree hugging left wing hippies anti-police. He has been there for 20yrs so I guess he would be a reserve Deputy Chief by now instead of a Sgt. I think in our time of reality TV it was bound to happen when you have steven seagal on a police force. It doesn't change the fact that he has volunteered his time for 20yrs to the community he lives in. For that reason I respect the show and him.

I got ya. I had a feeling that most of it was due to the assinine way Segal spoke to other deputies. I like just a smidge of formality when speaking to other deputies/officers in the field, ie, by rank and all that.

FWIW, I work w/ a former employee from that agency and she is locked the hell on, so I am by no means slamming your SO. Sorry of it cam off that way.

irishlad2nv
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
We're the highest paid in the state, living is cheap down here ;)

How do you figure that, when your neighbors @ Kenner start off at 35K without the state supplement? And NOPD and LSP. I fail to see and know how you think that the cost of living is cheap anywhere around NOLA. Unless you are slumming it or living with 2 or 3 co-workers. Just a 1 bedroom apt can cost around $1000. So I could see that living is cheap, due to the selections of apartments and or houses.

farvas#1
12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I dont know if any of you know this but there is a funny story about Seagal from back in the day. There are actually a few different renditions of it.

Basically on the set of on of his movies he was being a dick to the stuntmen. Enter Judo Gene Lebell. Seagal said that he could not be choked out, Lebell choked him unconcious and Seagal **** himself.

As stated there are a numerous different accounts of this story but they all say what I said above. Here is a link if you want to read anymore about it.. I just thought some may find it mildly entertaining.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=951&st=0

JPSO Recruit
12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
How do you figure that, when your neighbors @ Kenner start off at 35K without the state supplement? And NOPD and LSP. I fail to see and know how you think that the cost of living is cheap anywhere around NOLA. Unless you are slumming it or living with 2 or 3 co-workers. Just a 1 bedroom apt can cost around $1000. So I could see that living is cheap, due to the selections of apartments and or houses.

I should have clarified, highest paid SO in the state. LSP doesn't count, they are required by law to be the highest paid in the state, everyone knows that. NOPD also includes some benefits into their pay chart, if take away their fringe benefit as one of my ex NOPD officers explained to me, it comes out to only 31,000. I have no idea why you say cost of living is high down here. I room with another deputy, yet our rent is 300 a piece in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. I could never work a detail and still be in the green, I work details because I want to one day by my own house with cash. Metairie isn't that expensive, however the parish of Orleans is another story. Maybe because I lived and grew up here, I'm used to costs associated with this area? I just don't see how you can say it's high cost.

irishlad2nv
12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I should have clarified, highest paid SO in the state. LSP doesn't count, they are required by law to be the highest paid in the state. NOPD also includes some weird benefiets into their pay chart, if take away their fringe benefit as one of my ex NOPD officers explained to me, it comes out to only 31,000. I have no idea why you say cost of living is high down here. I room with another deputy, yet our rent is 300 a piece in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house. I could never work a detail and still be in the green, I work details because I want to one day by my own house with cash. Metairie isn't that expensive, however the parish of Orleans is another story. Maybe because I lived and grew up here, I'm used to costs associated with this area? I just don't see how you can say it's high cost.

It is high cost and that's a proven fact and especially after Katrina where Cost of living has gone through the roof. You may not pay attentiont to it since you grew up there, but try to find a house in your price range by yourself. I don't see you walking in to a 3 bed, 2 bath 200k plus house that is new. I am not talking just about renting, but to own a decent house. I am not referring to slumming it either. Metarie can be cheap, but that's Metarie...

Next stop, I am not going to debate salaries here, but Caddo Parish starts the same as JPSO, and Terrebonne actually starts off more then JPSO.

creolecop
12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
FWIW, I work w/ a former employee from that agency and she is locked the hell on, so I am by no means slamming your SO. Sorry of it cam off that way.

No it didn't really come off that strong. I was just clarifying that they are a good dept and S.O.. Being a Louisiana Deputy I can say they are one of the top S.O.'s after mine of course. Just ask JPSO recruit, LOL!! :D

I thought the Show Rookies was a good example of the dept. It highlighted that discipline and structure you were talking about. This other show is just what it is, "Steven Seagal running around with a badge and gun :p " LOL! Chaos IS the word of the day. It's all in the editing.

jcioccke
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
So who is watching it this week?

mikeymedic
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Ouch

I make $28,000 a year and the cost of living is sort of high. However, I put in 30 hours of OT a week making my pay go up to $48,000.

yellowreef
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
So who is watching it this week?

I will admit to flipping channles to it during commercials as I was watching Hunt for Red October last night :o It was even more evident that this show should have been called "Steven Seagal's Awesomeness is Awesome". Give me a freaking break with visiting the sick kids at the hospital and throwing them a benefit concert starring... Steven Seagal! Also give me a freaking break with the "fans" going wild next to the stage during the concert, and the obvious cheering sound effect. At this point it's become one of those things that you watch just to see how low they will go.

jcioccke
12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
^^^^^^^

+1

It's like a Train wreck, you can't but help to stare at it.

Citizen85
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I saw a little bit last night but couldn't handle it for the duration of the entire show. It was way too preachy, he was talking about trying to bring some "harmony" to the situation....haha what a T-O-O-L!

Fun fact did you know Seagal has an energy drink called "Steven Seagalls Lightning Bolt", a cologne called "Scent of Action" and is associated with a line of herbal oils? Haha you can't make this stuff up.

Groove
12-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Scent of Action. hahahahahahahahaha

that is what sets off his crime radar. he can smell crime. truly amazing. he is an American hero if there ever was one.

jcioccke
12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
So I watched it again lol.

I love when he goes " The K9 has a bite (can smell drugs in the car) Then the K9 handler comes back and says no drugs in the car.

Then he gets to a home where he is convinced the Burglar is still in the house. The one Officer is standing at the side of the slide glass door and Steven is standing directly in front of it looking inside. The Officer who is using the wall for shielding while looking in-shoots Segal a look like WTF? lol

It's a train wreck and I can't stop myself from watching it.

VChopefull
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
So I watched it again lol.

I love when he goes " The K9 has a bite (can smell drugs in the car) Then the K9 handler comes back and says no drugs in the car.

Then he gets to a home where he is convinced the Burglar is still in the house. The one Officer is standing at the side of the slide glass door and Steven is standing directly in front of it looking inside. The Officer who is using the wall for shielding while looking in-shoots Segal a look like WTF? lol

It's a train wreck and I can't stop myself from watching it.

Haha +1 I noticed the same thing.

Did anybody else notice that THE SHERIFF was at one of their calls?

So now they have a Deputy Chief (segal), a Capt, A Lt and THE SHERIFF out in patrol with them? lol

I know they are a squared away dept but Segal makes them look like fools....bad idea letting him have this show...its a PR nightmare

yellowreef
12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Haha +1 I noticed the same thing.

Did anybody else notice that THE SHERIFF was at one of their calls?

So now they have a Deputy Chief (segal), a Capt, A Lt and THE SHERIFF out in patrol with them? lol

I know they are a squared away dept but Segal makes them look like fools....bad idea letting him have this show...its a PR nightmare

Well, in their defense, most of the target audience are not cops and have no idea how things should really look like. So... they might not consider it as awful as we do.

Taylor13
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I will admit to flipping channles to it during commercials as I was watching Hunt for Red October last night :o It was even more evident that this show should have been called "Steven Seagal's Awesomeness is Awesome". Give me a freaking break with visiting the sick kids at the hospital and throwing them a benefit concert starring... Steven Seagal! Also give me a freaking break with the "fans" going wild next to the stage during the concert, and the obvious cheering sound effect. At this point it's become one of those things that you watch just to see how low they will go.

I was doing the exact same thing the other night haha.

12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I came home the other night and my wife was watching it. She said it was kind of cheesy. I've never seen it, so I watched about 15-20 min of it and was disappointed with what I saw. To me, it appeared that it was nothing more than happy hour for the brass. They get to get out of the office and hit the streets again. Almost every Deputy on the show was a Sgt, Capt., or even a Col., with Seagal wearing two stars to signify his Reserve Deputy Chief rank. It was pretty over the top, almost acted out in some way. I feel bad for any low level Deputy there that has to do the actual work while they get to play it up for the camera shaking people down. Seriously, a Col. searching suspects and vehicles? Is that safe? I think some of the brass may have been off of patrol for way too long to be out there shaking people down. They might get hurt, or get somebody else hurt. Since when do you call a K9 unit in to almost every single call? Maybe that's common there, I don't know. Seems like resource allocation goes out the window if cameras are rolling for the show.

I think it's great that Mr. Seagal serves in some way. That's very admirable. He doesn't have to risk himself at all. Yet he does. I respect that. Most actors would never do anything like that. However...by having the entire chain of command with him, it sort of ruins the credibility of the show. If somebody set off a "car bomb" on one of their calls, that department would lose everyone below the Sheriff that had any significant rank. It's like putting your whole military command element in a single Huey. If that Helo gets shot down, there goes your entire command and control! Not a good idea. The show just seemed very unrealistic, impractical, and even somewhat scripted/acted at times. Even my wife picked up on that kind of stuff, and she's not a tactical guru of any kind.

I don't think I'll watch it again. It was interesting for a bit, just to see how good his instincts and street smarts are vs. the actor tough guy he plays. It got old quickly though. My hat's off to him for being out there, but there didn't need to be a TV show about it. Perhaps a wilting career ploy to keep the his bills paid? I don't know. I don't know his financial situation, but one has to wonder why the show now? Why not years ago?

BCSD Frank
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, it's nice that he's volunteering. It's stupid that it's a TV show. And anyway, I hate Steven Seagal movies almost as much as I hate Jean Claude Van Damme movies.

If they moved Chuck Norris in, all the criminals would just go downtown and turn themselves in, realizing that they'd lost. :D

GWBJR
12-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, it's nice that he's volunteering. It's stupid that it's a TV show. And anyway, I hate Steven Seagal movies almost as much as I hate Jean Claude Van Damme movies.

[B]If they moved Chuck Norris in, all the criminals would just go downtown and turn themselves in, realizing that they'd lost. :D[/

If they moved a real man in (SHAQ) they would really turn themselves in.

Taylor13
12-11-2009, 07:56 PM
[/

If they moved a real man in (SHAQ) they would really turn themselves in.

Shaq would peg people with basketballs instead of a TASER.

lawman733
12-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Okay...I'm putting myself out here....here goes....I like the show. Been a Seagal fan since the late 80's (don't care if his movies are cheesy). I really respect the fact that he is a reserve deputy. Most of Hollywood is so freakin liberal, I wanna strangle 'em.

I admit, very uncommon for brass to be out there handling the hot calls; but how else could they film the show. Put me in the minority...glad to see this one. Would like to see him on Patrol with other deputies...not brass...perhaps filmed like COPS. Might seem more realistic for us in Law Enforcement.

Thanks to the 1% 0f Hollywood who stands behind us.

BCSD Frank
12-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Hrmmm.. I see your point.

yellowreef
12-12-2009, 04:15 AM

If you consider straight to tv movies "Hollywood". ;):eek:

Phouse70
12-12-2009, 05:39 AM
If they moved Chuck Norris in, all the criminals would just go downtown and turn themselves in, realizing that they'd lost. :D

Lol! So very true.

I watched 3 or so episodes, and it just seemed so unnecessary. I guess I just felt like he didn't do all that much and it was more or less him... imparting... "knowledge" to the watchers.

I won't be watching again.

Baker54
12-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Don't know if anyone already pointed this out but when they stopped the car that was doing doughnuts and the guy told them he had a gun, after all was said and done Seagals comment was something along the lines of "good thing it was my experienced team that stopped him and not some inexperienced cop or he could have been shot". Thats when I realized this show should actually be on the Comedy Channel.

BCSD Frank
12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA... The irony meter is pegged! LMAO!

WillBrink
12-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Q: As Segeal seems to, you know, invent a lot of stuff, I wonder about his comment about being an LEO for "20 years." As we know he lived in LA, was busy doing (mostly terrible) movies, etc, how could he have been an active LEO in another part of the country? Was he a reserve or something until recently?

JJHunsacker
12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Nola.com ran the article sometime in Nov. stating he will be running with A&E as they film him playing a JPSO deputy! He was their for Katrina. Anderson Cooper had a run in with im and many NOPD/bars in the Quarter have his face on their dart boards!

He was very close with Harry Lee, but I would ultimately like to know if he's actually been POST certified in La! Unless he's just been a reserve his "20" yrs, working "major cases" as the news reported!

Maybe he should do a "Rookies" cameo.

Great, Steven Segal had a run in with Gloria Vanderbilt's son.

JJHunsacker
12-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Okay...I'm putting myself out here....here goes....I like the show. Been a Seagal fan since the late 80's (don't care if his movies are cheesy). I really respect the fact that he is a reserve deputy. Most of Hollywood is so freakin liberal, I wanna strangle 'em.

I admit, very uncommon for brass to be out there handling the hot calls; but how else could they film the show. Put me in the minority...glad to see this one. Would like to see him on Patrol with other deputies...not brass...perhaps filmed like COPS. Might seem more realistic for us in Law Enforcement.

Probably more than 1%. But people have to earn a living. Elia Kazan was basically snuffed by Hollywood for identifying communists. All he did in his career was direct On The Waterfront.

LINY
12-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, in their defense, most of the target audience are not cops and have no idea how things should really look like. So... they might not consider it as awful as we do.

I don't know... I think it looks absolutely horrible and the show just plain sucks. The Rookies was a much better show and probably did a lot more for the image of the JPSO.

MagnumPI
12-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Elia Kazan was basically snuffed by Hollywood for identifying communists. All he did in his career was direct On The Waterfront.

He directed a whole lot more than that my friend.

"East of Eden," "Viva Zapata", "Splendor in the Grass", and "A Streetcar named Desire" come to mind.

CO4NDOC
12-28-2009, 03:39 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA... The irony meter is pegged! LMAO!

no....THIS pegs the irony meter....

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID22304/images/deadline-movie-poster1.jpg

Forgive me if its too soon.....

DaLAW
12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm late to this thread and didn't read it, but I just caught the show the other day and thought it was insanely funny how Segal was talking like he was 'teaching' and 'educating' the other officers on how to do their job. I don't know how long he's been a reserve or whatever he is, but I wonder how the other officers he works with feel about him...hmmm...not being afraid to flaunt his 'expertise'?

Sgt.Friday
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The man is a "reserve" deputy, not POST certified in ANY state although he claims certification in CA - the CA POST Board has no record of same, and his "chief" title is ceremonial only.

He's as legit a cop as he is an actor.

Source....Wikipedia bio

ptcop531
12-29-2009, 08:00 AM
He may be just a 'reserve', but perhaps he does have some experiences that may prove helpful. His defensive tactics, and weapons retention classes that they showed parts of was not that different from the training I have had from full time officers.
I would agree this show makes him look like a real tool, though...

JRODF4
12-30-2009, 12:38 AM
It is funny how everything he says refers back to "with my martial art training" LOL...

Those old cops that ride along with him are legit though...

colo.metrocop
01-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Segal is a joker, and it is funny to watch all the brass roll around with him on his missions to shake down juvies with FTA warrants for petty marijuana tickets. I'm surprised Jefferson Parish gave the go ahead with a show like this. Goofy. "Reserve Deputy Chief" I love it! get real.

Garbage Man
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
In looking at his posse anybody else reminded of Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School? Rodneys has this recurring line, "How do you make yourself look thin? Surround yourself with fat people."

celticpilot
01-14-2010, 03:34 AM
If Seagal is not POST certified, and only has completed reserve training, then he is probably limited in what he can actually do. Depending upon the State Laws, he might only be allowed to ride along and assist. (which would explain why that seems to be all he does)

Depends on the state, but the basic rule of thumb is that for a reservist to be able to do what the full timers can do, he/she has to go through the same amount of training/certification/FTO... Anything less, and the role + authority becomes limited

I can barely stomach the show because of a personal experience with the guy from an Aikido seminar years ago. He is a d-bag of legendary proportion when he "teaches", expecting you to hero worship him without question. :rolleyes:

jcioccke
01-14-2010, 10:50 AM
The Aikido Master is always the last one out of the car. Am I the only one who notices that?

My partner better be right behind behind me or in front of me. The second time he is still opening his door when I am already 100 yards away from the car; we're having a little discussion.

I love how the Officers always send him out to look for the drugs that were thrown. " OK Steven why don't you go over there and look for the drugs". lol

I do that with my son's when I am doing projects around the home and they want to help me. Give them something to do, but nothing that will damage my project or slow me down.

The first time I see him actually catch someone, subdue someone, then I may give him a little more credit.

jcioccke
01-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I can barely stomach the show because of a personal experience with the guy from an Aikido seminar years ago. He is a d-bag of legendary proportion when he "teaches", expecting you to hero worship him without question.

A good friend of mine who owns a school here told me the same thing.

irishlad2nv
01-14-2010, 11:08 AM
If Seagal is not POST certified, and only has completed reserve training, then he is probably limited in what he can actually do. Depending upon the State Laws, he might only be allowed to ride along and assist. (which would explain why that seems to be all he does)

Depends on the state, but the basic rule of thumb is that for a reservist to be able to do what the full timers can do, he/she has to go through the same amount of training/certification/FTO... Anything less, and the role + authority becomes limited

I can barely stomach the show because of a personal experience with the guy from an Aikido seminar years ago. He is a d-bag of legendary proportion when he "teaches", expecting you to hero worship him without question. :rolleyes:

Most reserve LEO's in Louisiana do not have to go through any training. A lot of the smaller Sheriff Offices utilize these reserves due to the lack of full-time man power. Only a few agencies send their reserves through some type of training.

creolecop
01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
To piggy back on what irish stated, depts in Louisiana S.O. or cities are not mandated to formally train their reserves. Most reserves are used for things like parades (crowd control). Cruising mall parking lots in marked units during holiday season (we usually have mobile command centers set up during holidays). As for going out taking calls. They have to be with POST certified deputies or officers.

For instance at my agency to be a reserve out shaking down things on your own you have to complete the same training requirements of regular Deputies and then you have to complete so many FTO hours (which equates to about a year and half of riding) then test out on paper and on the road with a patrol sgt, who then must sign off on your patrol certification. Then you get a take home and can come in and ride whenever you want. All other reserves have to ride with a full time POST deputy.

Se7en
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I love how they stopped two guys driving drunk last night and let both go, well, besides the one who they were GOING to let go but found out he had a warrant. Give me a break, if you're going to be cutting loose drunks I wouldn't suggest putting it on TV.

celticpilot
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
@irishlad and creole:

Yeah, that is the "other" way Reserves are run, in which no state law exists really spells out what they can/cannot do... So it is left up to the individual Agency to decide. As with everything nowadays, situations like these are pretty much liability driven, so many large departments tend to default to the "needs full training to fully participate" policy.

I am betting that is the case on the show, in which the JCSO dictates that without full certification, Seagal is limited to exactly what you see him doing on the show (and no more).

Georgia POST does not give GA Agencies the option. You are either fully certified, or you don't get to be a Officer/Deputy in our state...

The other thing that people have to consider about Seagal is that he probably considers himself a prime target for lawsuits (obviously having more $ in the bank than the average Cop). So if he is smart, Seagal is following the JCSO policy manual to the letter.

Reserve Law Enforcement is a strange and varied thing, and this show has cast a bright spotlight upon it. Hopefully it will remind the public that every Cop is putting their @ss on the line to serve and protect, if a fancy pants movie star is out there on his own time.

Although I cannot stand Seagal personally, he did bring a lot of positive attention to Aikido during his career. His new show is comedic gold most of the time, but it does show Law Enforcement in a (mostly) positive light to the average TV viewer.

That being said, Seagal has a responsibility to do things as professional as possible, and save the Hollywood crap for his movies, anything less and he has let Law Enforcement and the JCSO down...

grog18b
01-14-2010, 02:49 PM
He really should have gotten back into shape before his "come back".

Now... He just looks like a fat, old doosh. (*for bad word filter...)

Go forth, and clean off your keyboard.

shovelhead
01-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Did anyone notice the truck load of sgts. following his dumb a## around doing all the work and tryin' to keep him alive? What a joke.....

ryker
01-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm ok with him so long as he shows respect to the guys that do this for a living and not a few days a month just for fun. He appears to be above average when it comes to other LEO.

I've got a good buddy who is a reserve deputy. I respect him for doing his part but untill you do the job as a source of food on the table and do it for more than a few days a months .......

Just know there is a difference. Same goes for military reservisit.

jannino
01-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Not only are they riding around in those two explorers, I also notice a marked cruiser tailing them.

yellowreef
01-16-2010, 01:46 AM
And word on the description of the Explorers is out, as evidenced by them cruising down the street during the last episode to shouts of "Yo here come Steven Segal!" at different locations when they hadn't even stopped anywhere...

jannino
01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I love how on these "reality" shows the camera man is already there waiting on you... or standing on the side of the road for the shot... the best one is when they're standing over you as you get out of bed

LAschoolCop
01-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Despite all of that...I love the show :)

jws8308
01-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Then you get a take home and can come in and ride whenever you want.

WOW, really? So a reserve can get a take home after completing training and can set his own schedule? Does he get off duty use too?

How do the full time guys feel about that?

jannino
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
^^ probably happy because they don't have to ride with them!

BCSD Frank
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA.... OMG, that's fargin' hilarious!!

VChopefull
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I want to see the episode where he shoots the match to light it. Sounds ridiculous.

he dosent light it....he just shoots the tip off it.

BCSD Frank
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
If Chuck Norris showed up, he'd just glare at the match until it spontaneously combusted.

Cedo Nulli
01-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Louisiana is a different animal for LE. We have three city PDs locally and each of their programs have different standards. One requires full post/FTO, one only requires POST gun certification/FTO, the other is some small inter-agency training.

I can't stand that show. I saw two episodes lastnight for the first time. The Sheriff, a Deputy Chief, a Colonel, a Captain, a Lieutenant, a Sergeant out on patrol together...REALLY?

Sounds like JPSO has way too many chiefs and not enough indians.

I did find it hilarious SWAT was used to go beaver hunting...

creolecop
01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
WOW, really? So a reserve can get a take home after completing training and can set his own schedule? Does he get off duty use too?

How do the full time guys feel about that?

It's perfectly cool with everyone I know. The Patrol certified guys really have helped us out in a crunch a few times. Mulitiple people at schools, vacation and others sick. They are in training for a long time to become a patrol certified reservist so I think it's very fair to give them a take home. Yes they have the same use of the car as we do which is full private use of the vehicle off duty. Stay away from bars and places of shame, porn stores, strip clubs etc.... You can take your kids to school in your unit whatever same for them. doesn't cost a thing just your hard work.

As for them making their own schedule, thats fine also, these guys have regular civilian jobs it would be impossible for us to make them come in a set times. They just have to put in 15hrs a month.

I did find it hilarious SWAT was used to go beaver hunting...
It's not uncommon at all and makes perfect since to use SWAT. Trapping does not work due to the reproduction rate of the nutrea. Many Nutrea are not only out eating away at our levees but they are eating away at the drainage canals in the middle of roadways on boulevards. They then dig their way from their to underneath peoples homes. Then when big storms come or heavy rains people get flooded out of their homes more often. If you are going to have anyone shooting at things in the middle of the city with motorist on the roadways on the other side, I'd say percision is in order. SWAT gets the precision shooting practice, residents are not put in harms way by using billy bob with his daddy's shotgun, and you can take out way more nutrea shooting them than you can catch, so it's far more effective. SWAT teams all over southern Louisiana, along the I-10 corridor and below that use their SWAT teams for nutrea control.

Se7en
01-24-2010, 05:05 PM
I've decided to stop watching the shower after seeing him and his cronies stopping DWI's and letting them walk off with their keys. Give me a break.

creolecop
01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
I've decided to stop watching the shower after seeing him and his cronies stopping DWI's and letting them walk off with their keys. Give me a break.
2 things why would you have been watching them "shower" anyway? :D

Seriously, as informed by JPSO recruit, none of them on that scene (brass) were DWI certified so they couldn't.

Se7en
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
2 things why would you have been watching them "shower" anyway? :D

Seriously, as informed by JPSO recruit, none of them on that scene (brass) were DWI certified so they couldn't.

Yikes... don't know where that came from!:o

Understandable... but if they're going to be out stopping cars and such they either need to be trained for what they encounter or call for a unit (which I am sure the unit's wouldn't like).,

HEDP
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Yikes... don't know where that came from!:o

Understandable... but if they're going to be out stopping cars and such they either need to be trained for what they encounter (which they obviously were not) or call for a unit (which I am sure the unit's wouldn't like) (which is probably why they didn't do it.) .,

See, you answered both your questions!

BAinCJ
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Since the sheriff gave Steven Seagal a badge, did Steven Seagal reciprocate by giving the sheriff a Screen Actors Guild card?

BeanCounter
01-26-2010, 02:28 AM

Same here! So reserve deputies can't handle DUI/DWI's down there? What's the deal..

Also did anyone notice in one of the episodes, Seagal had the window down half way and it appeared to be a bulletproof window, you could see the thickness of the glass and the black lamination on top of it..

TXDSX
01-29-2010, 02:05 AM
I like the show as well, but I dont believe someone should be given Deputy Chief just because he is an actor or be given any special exception.
I have met Steven Seagal on a few occassions and I will tell you that he is a true life Aikidoka. I have seen his Aikido demonstrations in real life and he is no joke.

stormz5192
01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't mind the show that much if they didn't spead on the dramatics so thick. If he got on the radio every 5 seconds with complete nonsense (like they show) and told a full time officer what to do, he'd be getting a big "Go F yourself and STFU."

yellowreef
01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I like the show. Just my 2cents...

Steven is that you?