PDA

View Full Version : Is there an age limit for the state of Florida?

CRS1
01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,

I have a quick and simple question that I hope someone can help me with here.

Is there an age limit to become a Police Officer in the state of Florida? In NY you have to take the Police exam before the age of 35. Does the same hold true for the state of Florida?

Thanks!

Unit453
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Florida is a right to work state. Apply away. There are many deputies down here that need to be on social security at their age. Most of them though work in the court houses.

I moved from Watertown NY, grew up in Syracuse, to get certified here and take a job with a much better retirement. If you want any help with anything, let me know.

ERMDPD
01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
My high school teacher just became a PO & he's in his 40s... Minimum age I believe is.. you can enroll in the academy at 18 but must be 19 by graduation/sworn.

Blueribbon
01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I am not aware of any upper age limit for any agency in Florida. There is, however, a lower age limit of 19, although most FL agencies won't hire until 21.

ShadowWarrior
01-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I have a quick and simple question that I hope someone can help me with here.

Is there an age limit to become a Police Officer in the state of Florida? In NY you have to take the Police exam before the age of 35. Does the same hold true for the state of Florida?

Thanks!

No there is no limit. I had a 72 year old go all the way through the academy. An ex-chief of police, was in fantastic shape and aced almost every exam. He won top academic, and top physical :eek: in his class. He was one of the very best recruits I have ever had. He went on to be a director of juvenile services in the North Florida area and just needed his certification back to do it.

I am 46, with 28 years in, and will be working for at least another 15-20 years, old guys are still able to do the job, we just do it with more finesse! ;)

CRS1
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
No there is no limit. I had a 72 year old go all the way through the academy. An ex-chief of police, was in fantastic shape and aced almost every exam. He won top academic, and top physical :eek: in his class. He was one of the very best recruits I have ever had. He went on to be a director of juvenile services in the North Florida area and just needed his certification back to do it.

I am 46, with 28 years in, and will be working for at least another 15-20 years, old guys are still able to do the job, we just do it with more finesse! ;)

WOW!!! that's great for the ex-chief. :D

I currently live in Westchester, NY and I am currently trying to do a career change. I work in the I.T. field and been doing it for 13 years and want out. I always admired Police work and decided to take the Police exam this past Nov. I'm 33 years old fit. The age limit in NY to take the Police exam is 35. The exam I just took is given every 4 years so the next time they give the exam I will not be able to take the exam. I will be relocating to Florida within the next 2 years to start a family and was hoping to become a Police Officer in NY 1st then transfer to a Florida department on the West Coast on the Gulf. I'd like to try Clearwater, but any department will do.

If I do not pass the Westchester Police exam this time around I will not be able to take the exam again do to the age limit. The next time they give the exam I will be 37 years old, so my plan is to take Police exams down in Florida and hope things workout. If there is no age limit in Florida then that works out great for me because I don't have to worry about any age limitations.

I will not find out if I passed the written exam until the Spring of this year around mid-May. :eek:

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, guidance for me to help me out with this?

The ultimate goal is to become a Officer in NY 1st within the next year and get at least a year experience and then get the ball rolling to make the move to Florida (assuming I get in in NY). If I don't get in then what do you Guys\Gals think I should do to start the ball rolling in Florida? (Taking Police exams)

Thank You all for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

ERMDPD
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
I say start applying to agencies down here. The hiring process with most departments take atleast 6months and some times go over a year. So if you get the results in May & you failed (hopefully not) you already have some thing going for you down here. Besides, applications are going quick, when they're available & most big departments are backed up on the hiring process right now in FL.

Unit453
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I would tell you to get your certification first. Its like pulling teeth with a spoon to get an agency to sponsor you.

Find an address of someone you know or family or something here in Florida. You'll need it for residency. Otherwise you'll be paying the out of state fees, which for me were around $8500.

CRS1
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I would tell you to get your certification first. Its like pulling teeth with a spoon to get an agency to sponsor you.

Find an address of someone you know or family or something here in Florida. You'll need it for residency. Otherwise you'll be paying the out of state fees, which for me were around $8500.

I have family down in Florida, so getting an address will not be an issue. I don't understand what you mean by, "getting my certification 1st, so an agency sponsors me." :confused: Can you clarify this to me? I'm sorry, it sounds like the process is different in NY than FL. Thanks!

ftlaudcop
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I have family down in Florida, so getting an address will not be an issue. I don't understand what you mean by, "getting my certification 1st, so an agency sponsors me." :confused: Can you clarify this to me? I'm sorry, it sounds like the process is different in NY than FL. Thanks!

SPONSOR: POLICE-SHERFFCORRECTIONS AGENCY
VERIFYS YOU MET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HIRE/ CERTIFICATION

A. SOME AGENCYS PAY FOR THEACADEMY - YOUR A AGENCY EMPLOYEE
B. YOU PAY FOR THE ACADEMY- AND YR ON THEIR ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR HIRE
C. SELF-SPONSOR......YOU PAY FOR ACADEMY, YOU SIGN A AFFIDAVIT
YOU MEET ALL THE CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS, AND LIKE A B.S. DEGREE
AFTER YOU GRADUATE, YOU FILL OUT APPLICATIONS LIKE A NEWBIE OFF THE STREET, EXCEPT...YOUR ALREADY BEEN TO THE ACADEMY.
================================================== ========
IF I MISSED ANYTHING....ADD TO IT.......:eek:

CRS1
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
SPONSOR: POLICE-SHERFFCORRECTIONS AGENCY
VERIFYS YOU MET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR HIRE/ CERTIFICATION

A. SOME AGENCYS PAY FOR THEACADEMY - YOUR A AGENCY EMPLOYEE
B. YOU PAY FOR THE ACADEMY- AND YR ON THEIR ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR HIRE
C. SELF-SPONSOR......YOU PAY FOR ACADEMY, YOU SIGN A AFFIDAVIT
YOU MEET ALL THE CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS, AND LIKE A B.S. DEGREE
AFTER YOU GRADUATE, YOU FILL OUT APPLICATIONS LIKE A NEWBIE OFF THE STREET, EXCEPT...YOUR ALREADY BEEN TO THE ACADEMY.
================================================== ========
IF I MISSED ANYTHING....ADD TO IT.......:eek:

Are there any written test, physical agility test, psych test to take down there for the Police jobs?

In NY you have to take and pass the written, physical agility, medical, and psych exams before you even make it into the Academy.

orlandofed5-0
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Basically in FL unlike NY, you can sponser yourself through the academy. To sponser yourself, you will pay the out of pocket expenses for the background, physical, psychological testing and training. You will also have to pay to take the CJ-BAT to get into the academy (kinda like a civil circus test) and the physical abilities test.

CRS1
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Basically in FL unlike NY, you can sponser yourself through the academy. To sponser yourself, you will pay the out of pocket expenses for the background, physical, psychological testing and training. You will also have to pay to take the CJ-BAT to get into the academy (kinda like a civil circus test) and the physical abilities test.

:eek:

What's the estimated cost of all this? :eek:

ERMDPD
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM

About $6,000 I've heard.

Unit453
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
About $6,000 I've heard.

The academy alone cost me $8500. I had to fly down from Syracuse NY to do the pre academy poly, then the CJBAT, then to meet with the director of the academy. Between testing, processing, and uniforms, be prepared to spend close to $1500, before you set foot in the door. Then the tuition takes over from there. You'll have to have a years residency to qualify for an instate tuition, like family here that you could use their address. Just remember though, that address is gonna stick with you after you graduate and you'll have to list that on your apps to individual departments. Not sure how that would look in your case but you see my point that it could look deceptive.

Its not all that different from NY standards. NY uses Coopers standards for their PT, which is rather stringent. Some agencies down here use Coopers as well and FDLE is looking into that as well. I know we were tested per Coopers standards in our academy in both NY and in Florida.

As a self sponsored student, you're a regular Joe off the street who goes into the academy full time. Once you graduate, you'll have to pass the state exam. I know many people who failed it, numerous times. Once you pass that, you're not really 'certified' per sey, but 'certifiable' by an agency, which means they wont have to put a whole lotta money into you until you make it to the physical and phych eval, by which you'll probably have signed a conditional offer.

There are deputies and police officers all over the board here who are actively employed by many agencies around Florida. You'll probably need to figure out where it is you want to land yourself, get in touch with the academy in that county and go from there.

Maybe Shadow up in Gainesville can assist you and or tell you what to expect to pay fir an instate resident. Its about 1/3 of what I paid.

orlandofed5-0
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Wow. It went up since I went through. I paid $3500 for everything.

ShadowWarrior
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
If you want to find about how to get into an academy in Florida, Call 352-334-0458 and ask for Joanne, and /or go to http://www.policecareers.org/ .

kshields
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Assessment Fee

CJ-BAT and/or CSR $ 40.00

Background Processing $ 90.00

Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA) $ 20.00

Total Due upon registration: $150.00

Tuition, uniforms, lab fees, supplies, and living expenses for several months or most of a year can be difficult financial challeges. Like any major life event, it is best approached thoughtfully and with a plan. Non-residents pay a higher tuition rate by Florida law. For questions about residency please contact Brevard Community College's Office of Admissions at 433-5550.

Estimated Cost of Academy

Tuition: (Florida Resident) $58.55 per credit hour x 27 hours = $1,580.85

(Non-resident) $283.00 per credit hour x 27 hours = $7,641.00

Graduation 20.00

Books &Curriculum: 400.00

Lab Fees: 350.00

Ammunition: 300.00

Uniforms: 200.00

Total Approximate Cost for Florida Resident: $2,880.85

Total Approximate Cost for Non-Florida Resident: $8,941.00

All estimated costs are subject to change without notice. Tuition rates are at the discretion of the Board of Trustees, Brevard Community College. BPTC has no control or discretion in tuition, fees, or any cost associated with the law enforcement academy.

kshields
01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.brevardcc.edu/?mainframe=police_testing/content/&subnavframe=/police_testing/content/sub_nav.html

TyFSU
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Since the topic has changed to the cost of self-sponsorship (not trying to hijack the thread) does anyone know the max a person can receive from financial aid? I'll be attending the Pat Thomas Academy Feb. 2, 2009 and I'm trying to figure out if I'll be eating PB&J sandwiches for 18 weeks. haha… Honestly, I’m trying to prepare myself finically for self-sponsorship.

Thanks!

btw, our fees are:
CJBAT: $35
Application fee: $75
Tutition: $2,197.90
Uniforms: $290.00

Gringe
01-07-2009, 05:15 AM
If you want to find about how to get into an academy in Florida, Call 352-334-0458 and ask for Joanne, and /or go to http://www.policecareers.org/ .

Follow this advice! Jo Ann is great, and has helped me with everything regarding my application to Shadow's academy so far. If all goes well, hopefully I'll be in the academy starting on May 11, 2009.

CRS1
01-08-2009, 09:53 AM
What kind of entry exam do you have to take in FL to become an Officer?

In NY you have to take a reading comprehension exam. If you pass that (Score of 70+) you then take the physical agility exam, if you pass that, then you have to take all the medical and psych exams, once you pass all the medicals and backround check, the final step is the academy, then graduation (assuming you pass the academy).

So the main question is, is there an entry reading comprehension exam?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am well educated during this process so I know what to expect and be ready for. :o

Thanks!

Unit453
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Are there any written test, physical agility test, psych test to take down there for the Police jobs?

Depends on the individual academy. Plan on an entry written exam, polygraph, physical, physical agility and back ground check to get into the academy. Then when you graduate, you'll have to take the state exam, which is nothing like anyone gives up in NY.

In NY you have to take and pass the written, physical agility, medical, and psych exams before you even make it into the Academy.

It isnt much different but you'll have to do it all over again when applying to an agency.

Each agency here seems to have their own version of a written exam. Thats usually the very first step in the lengthy process.

PACE
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Then when you graduate, you'll have to take the state exam, which is nothing like anyone gives up in NY.

Harder or easier?

MrsPagan
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
WOW!!! that's great for the ex-chief. :D

I currently live in Westchester, NY and I am currently trying to do a career change. I work in the I.T. field and been doing it for 13 years and want out. I always admired Police work and decided to take the Police exam this past Nov. I'm 33 years old fit. The age limit in NY to take the Police exam is 35. The exam I just took is given every 4 years so the next time they give the exam I will not be able to take the exam. I will be relocating to Florida within the next 2 years to start a family and was hoping to become a Police Officer in NY 1st then transfer to a Florida department on the West Coast on the Gulf. I'd like to try Clearwater, but any department will do.

If I do not pass the Westchester Police exam this time around I will not be able to take the exam again do to the age limit. The next time they give the exam I will be 37 years old, so my plan is to take Police exams down in Florida and hope things workout. If there is no age limit in Florida then that works out great for me because I don't have to worry about any age limitations.

I will not find out if I passed the written exam until the Spring of this year around mid-May. :eek:

Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, guidance for me to help me out with this?

The ultimate goal is to become a Officer in NY 1st within the next year and get at least a year experience and then get the ball rolling to make the move to Florida (assuming I get in in NY). If I don't get in then what do you Guys\Gals think I should do to start the ball rolling in Florida? (Taking Police exams)

Thank You all for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Well I relocated from NY,NY to Miami. The process took about a year for me, really more like 9 or 10 months total as you can see in my signature. A lot of flying back and forth. You have to take the CJBAT first, its like an academic test to see what educational lvl you are. I believe Miami PD accepts it but check anyway because they really ask for the FBAT exam, which is another academic test. I think they are the only ones in Florida that wants the FBAT down here, everyone else CJBAT. There may be other types of academic placement tests with other departments but you'd have to call around to find out. After you take those exams, apply away. But one thing, I found out with the CJBAT you also have to do agility exams and swimming exams (department specific) prior to applying. Nothing like nypd where you just apply to take the civil service test.

With Miami PD I took the FBAT, applied to take the civil service exam, and went on with the process. If you have any more questions about my department process let me know.

Unit453
01-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Harder or easier?

Different. 250 questions instead of the basic New York State civil service exams or NYSP tests. I didnt think it was "easy" but I'm glad thats in the past. I wouldnt wish that friggen test on anyone.

CRS1
01-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Would it make sense for me to start the process in becoming a Cop down in Florida. I'm looking towards the ClearWater, St. Pete area. I took two Police exams in NY where I currently live. I took Westchester County in Nov 2008 and still have not recived the scores and I took NYPD last week and scored an 88%. My ultimate goal is to move down to Florida. I'm 33 years old and in the middle of trying to do a career change. Should I wait and see if I get in, in NY and then after a year try to transfer down to Florida?

From what I understand there's no age limit to become a Police Officer down there right? In NY you can not take any Police Exams after the age of 35. No age limit like that down there am I correct? :confused:

Gringe
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Would it make sense for me to start the process in becoming a Cop down in Florida. I'm looking towards the ClearWater, St. Pete area. I took two Police exams in NY where I currently live. I took Westchester County in Nov 2008 and still have not recived the scores and I took NYPD last week and scored an 88%. My ultimate goal is to move down to Florida. I'm 33 years old and in the middle of trying to do a career change. Should I wait and see if I get in, in NY and then after a year try to transfer down to Florida?

From what I understand there's no age limit to become a Police Officer down there right? In NY you can not take any Police Exams after the age of 35. No age limit like that down there am I correct? :confused:

No age limit in the State of Florida. Per Florida State Statue 943.13, only age requirement is that you are over 19 years of age. Of course some departments though up it a bit to 20/21.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0943/Sec13.HTM

PJ06
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
does it help in any way if you are a NY CO?

CRS1
05-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get call this number for the past week and I can not get in touch with anyone, because no one is answering the phone. I would like to get some info. on becoming a Cop in Florida. I'm from NY, 34 and will be relocating to Florida within the next year to year and a half. Does anyone know of any other numbers I can call? I'm looking for to relocate to the west cost, round the St. Pete, Clearwater area or maybe even Tampa. Thanks!

Pixelshadow
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey guys,

I've been trying to get call this number for the past week and I can not get in touch with anyone, because no one is answering the phone. I would like to get some info. on becoming a Cop in Florida. I'm from NY, 34 and will be relocating to Florida within the next year to year and a half. Does anyone know of any other numbers I can call? I'm looking for to relocate to the west cost, round the St. Pete, Clearwater area or maybe even Tampa. Thanks!

Go through the internet... get the recruiting info/numbers of the local agencies you would like to go work for... that's the quickest route - some departments even start your application process on the spot online. Good luck! :D