PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances...?

SV1981
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I am currently on the Management team of a Corporate Security, here are a list of my accomplishments and work history.

Recognitions
- Nominated S/O of the year for district, region, and awarded Paul Bryant Award 2006
- Nominated S/O of the month (Whelan Warrior) April 2007
- Promoted to Shift Supervisor August 2007

Certifications
- Completed (MSO) levels 1,2, and 3
- Certified CPR/First Aid kit/AED
- Dispatching procedures
- Completed Fire Safety Training course
- Field Training
- Safety Driving

02/07-Present Whelan Security
Security Shift Supervisor
- Access control
- Monitor CCTV, DSX, and Metasys systems
- Patrol interior and exterior perimeters
- Supervising a group of security staff
- Delivering high quality service
- Monthly IQA and post inspections
- Lockdown/Toco rounds in each building

11/04-08/06 Allied Barton
Security Officer
- Monitored CCTV over entire class A+ building
- Enforced building rules and regulations
- Prevention of any crimes on private property
- Trusted to complete tasks on a daily basis
- Responded quickly and effectively to all security related emergencies

I'm sure we all have plenty of accomplishments but here are just some of mine and would like to get some feedback on my chances of getting into a Academy to hopefully one day getting employed by a PD/SD.

Fuzz1028
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
+1

If you have a clean background then this stuff obviously can't hurt and is all good. If you have background issues, stuff like this means jack squat.

SV1981
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
blank.....

SV1981
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
North Hennepin Community College
- AAS Degree in Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement *still in school*

07/97-07/00 Brooklyn Center High School
- GPA 3.5

As for background......i have never been convicted of any felonies, only some traffic tickets years ago.

Fuzz1028
12-22-2008, 07:37 PM
It's not all about "convictions". I have never been convicted of anything besides speeding either, however I have done worse. You need to disclose evrything not just what you got caught for.

SV1981
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Besides the traffic tickets years ago........nothing else. Thanks for the comments and advice.

Fuzz1028
12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
well that's good. If you have no criminal convictions, drug use, theft, dv and so on you should have as good a shot as anyone. Is there a fair amount of job openings in your area?

SV1981
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Job openings for PD? or what jobs you referring to?

SV1981
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Reason why i can't give you answers is because i have never done any of that.......I'm new to all of this. The only thing that i have ever received big is driving under age, to me that's big but other than that nothing major at all. No manslaughter/reckless driving/ or any of that.

Fuzz1028
12-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Job openings for PD? or what jobs you referring to?

no...... at the local walmart

SV1981
12-22-2008, 09:47 PM
no...... at the local walmart

Well why don't you look it up......

Fuzz1028
12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Well honestly, I think it is pretty obvious that I would be referring to PD/SO jobs.

SV1981
12-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Well honestly, I think it is pretty obvious that I would be referring to PD/SO jobs.

I'm not sure.......Ive heard that the standards and requirements here are super high? might be just rumors but also heard that out of state recruiters come to the state of Minnesota cause of the standards and work ethics of people who work and live here.

sigcopper
12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Job prospects are very tight in MN right now. Finish your school and apply to any of SKILLS location and if you can pass the entrance you will be good to go. Not only are convictions important but so is positive work history. There are only so many jobs in MN and a lot of applicants. Keep your nose clean, get good grades and don't tick the boss off.

ArkansasFan24
12-23-2008, 07:53 PM
I am currently on the Management team of a Corporate Security, here are a list of my accomplishments and work history.

Recognitions
- Nominated S/O of the year for district, region, and awarded Paul Bryant Award 2006
- Nominated S/O of the month (Whelan Warrior) April 2007
- Promoted to Shift Supervisor August 2007

Certifications
- Completed (MSO) levels 1,2, and 3
- Certified CPR/First Aid kit/AED
- Dispatching procedures
- Completed Fire Safety Training course
- Field Training
- Safety Driving

02/07-Present Whelan Security
Security Shift Supervisor
- Access control
- Monitor CCTV, DSX, and Metasys systems
- Patrol interior and exterior perimeters
- Supervising a group of security staff
- Delivering high quality service
- Monthly IQA and post inspections
- Lockdown/Toco rounds in each building

11/04-08/06 Allied Barton
Security Officer
- Monitored CCTV over entire class A+ building
- Enforced building rules and regulations
- Prevention of any crimes on private property
- Trusted to complete tasks on a daily basis
- Responded quickly and effectively to all security related emergencies

I'm sure we all have plenty of accomplishments but here are just some of mine and would like to get some feedback on my chances of getting into a Academy to hopefully one day getting employed by a PD/SD.

The above training, classes, and certification don't mean so much as does the fact that you were/are good at your job and that you succeeded at it with accomplishments. Most people in LE aren't going to know what the above things are. If you pass the interview and background check with whatever other tests your hiring agency may throw (such as medical, psychological, polygraph, physical agility, etc) at you then the above will be meaningful as in "hey, he might be a good employee because he did well as his previous job" even if it was something like making shift manager at the Taco Bell after just six months of employment as opposed to the other guy that met the requirements but gets fired, reprimanded, or does only the minimum at work. Good luck!

goodfella
12-23-2008, 09:37 PM
After careful consideration your chances are very low. Try again. Stick to Security in my opinion.

eddie t.
12-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree with these guys... I was a security guard for 3 years and a supervisor for most of those... The State did look into it, but having that work doesnt do much in law enforcement as I have come to learn... Are you a good communicator, can you handle the fact that LE is not a well looked upon position in the civilian world, can you handle having your life threatened and even taken, can you take someone elses life to defend your own?!? There are a lot of questions like this that a security job doesnt answer, big culture shock when I had to face these questions, cuz all a security job is "customer service" with a badge... yeah you get some times where you handcuff a guy or wrestle a guy down, but other than that there is a lot of things to consider... I suggest go on a ton of ride a longs... Day, night, and maybe a graveyard shift! And do it with every department you can think of, that should help you decide if this is a career you want to do for the next 20-30+ years...

I mean that looks like youve gotten a lot done, but be ready to sell yourself to your department of choice, why should they choose you and not the Taco Bell supervisor?!?

SV1981
12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
After careful consideration your chances are very low. Try again. Stick to Security in my opinion.

I agree with these guys... I was a security guard for 3 years and a supervisor for most of those... The State did look into it, but having that work doesnt do much in law enforcement as I have come to learn... Are you a good communicator, can you handle the fact that LE is not a well looked upon position in the civilian world, can you handle having your life threatened and even taken, can you take someone elses life to defend your own?!? There are a lot of questions like this that a security job doesnt answer, big culture shock when I had to face these questions, cuz all a security job is "customer service" with a badge... yeah you get some times where you handcuff a guy or wrestle a guy down, but other than that there is a lot of things to consider... I suggest go on a ton of ride a longs... Day, night, and maybe a graveyard shift! And do it with every department you can think of, that should help you decide if this is a career you want to do for the next 20-30+ years...

I mean that looks like youve gotten a lot done, but be ready to sell yourself to your department of choice, why should they choose you and not the Taco Bell supervisor?!?

Goodfella.......so nice of you to help others out, just cause you made it? doesn't mean you bash people with negativity, perhaps many people do not go for LE cause of people like you?

EddieT......i see where your coming from, my next step is to finish my two year and volunteer for the PD.

marcusindc
12-24-2008, 06:04 PM
As the others have said, your resume means very little, vs. how you handle the process and how truthful you are doing the poly. At the end of the day (in most cases) what you've done in the past makes little difference, as being a police officer is TOTALLY different then anything you've ever done. That being said, I'm sure you can use some past experiences to help you be successful once you get the job, i.e. security jobs helped you to keep an eye out for things out of the ordinary.

eddie t.
12-24-2008, 09:55 PM
SV 1981, here is my best advice, go through with volunteering with the PD and start networking within the departments, get to know captains, sergeants, officers, detectives... start with guys that will be willing to mentor you... And if you need help in studying for the written exams or the oral boards, which might I add, you will need all the help you can get! haha... PM me and I will get you the titles that helped me Ace my exams... fyi: after studying up on these study guides and preparation for the oral boards, I ended up in the top 20 for the departments I wanted... So study hard man, finish school, and remember the entire hiring process is a test! Do what they say and pay attention to detail...

goodfella
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Goodfella.......so nice of you to help others out, just cause you made it? doesn't mean you bash people with negativity, perhaps many people do not go for LE cause of people like you?

EddieT......i see where your coming from, my next step is to finish my two year and volunteer for the PD.

it's called a joke....learn to take one