PDA

View Full Version : Any new NCIS news???

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

sabanist
11-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Is it true that they ask you your top 3 choices of assignment pref. And i understand that everyone goes overseas at least once. For how long? What is the promotion point to 13? I read that you actually go underway sometimes, true? And what about unaccompanied tours?

Kimble
11-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Is it true that they ask you your top 3 choices of assignment pref. They did ask me when I applied (I believe I had to pick locations during one of my interviews), but the location they gave when they made the job offer was not any of my 3 preferences, just food for thought.

And i understand that everyone goes overseas at least once. For how long? Depends, you control your own destiny to a certain extent. If you PCS, it will be 2-3 years minimum. If you do a deployment, it will be 3-6 months minimum. If you take a ship afloat, you will do 6-8 months underway.

What is the promotion point to 13?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking here (not sure what a "promotion point" is).

I read that you actually go underway sometimes, true? If by underway you mean on a ship, that's the Special Agent Afloat program. We have agents on all carriers and other large squadron flotillas.

And what about unaccompanied tours?
Deployments will be unaccompanied, as are afloat assignments. Many (if not most) PCS moves are accompanied, though some are not (Bahrain was for years but recently changed to allow dependents). Depends on the assignment and location, but there are a multitude of overseas PCS assignments that are accompanied.

sabanist
11-17-2010, 03:03 AM
Thats some good info. Promotion point to 13 is referring to the time requirement for gs 13 or equivolent. For instance in the fbi it is 5 years, in the usss for most it is 3 or 4 years.

So you deploy to locales like afghanistan and iraq?

Kimble
11-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Thats some good info. Promotion point to 13 is referring to the time requirement for gs 13 or equivolent. For instance in the fbi it is 5 years, in the usss for most it is 3 or 4 years. Ahh, NCIS' is typically 5 years, though there are some ways to get it earlier (around 3 yrs, or even less if prior 1811) if you go afloat on a ship or go to CRFO (our deployment office).

So you deploy to locales like afghanistan and iraq?
Absolutely, NCIS and other DoD federal criminal investigative agencies deploy where their military branch's assets are, and since NCIS covers Navy and Marine Corps, agents deploy to where sailors and marines deploy. Unlike Army CID and AFOSI, NCIS deployments are voluntary (due to us having an almost-completely civilian agent corps and civilian chain-of-command), but there's some significant pay and experience incentives to doing them.

sabanist
11-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Ahh, NCIS' is typically 5 years, though there are some ways to get it earlier (around 3 yrs, or even less if prior 1811) if you go afloat on a ship or go to CRFO (our deployment office).

Absolutely, NCIS and other DoD federal criminal investigative agencies deploy where their service's assets are, and since NCIS covers Navy and Marine Corps, agents deploy to where sailors and marines deploy. Unlike Army CID and AFOSI, NCIS deployments are voluntary (due to us having an almost-completely civilian agent corps and civilian chain-of-command), but there's some significant pay and experience incentives to doing them.

The job sounds good to me. I'll be contacting the recruiter and waiting patiently.

MilEngineer
11-22-2010, 06:29 AM
I recently had my oral interview. Does anyone know when HQ will hold the next hiring board?

MIDeputy
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
deleted post....

Cman21
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
NCIS is currently on a hiring freeze and so far no there is word on the next CITP/SABT class. I was fortunate to get another 1811 position in the mentime, but I'm still waiting to hear from NCIS. I've been in the hiring process with them for over 2 1/2 years. You have to have lots and lots of patients waiting for the day to get "the call" from them.

You are far along in the process for NCIS and have another 1811 job and you spell patience as "patients"? Are you a doctor too?

MIDeputy
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
deleted post....

coastal
11-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Sucks to hear about the freeze. I'm prior Navy, still in the reserves and am totally game to deploy or go underway as non-ship's company- saying this having been on a combat deployment in Coastal Warfare, and being ships company before that, 7th fleet (aka, whats land? We never see that)-- not as a fresh out of college 21 y/o not knowing what they are really getting themselves into. When my friend cross-rated to MA and moved to Atsugi Japan he became the base MA/security liaison with the two NCIS agents on that base- worked in civis along side them and he let me tag along for a day. I thought the job looked awesome, was right up my alley and I believe this was before the TV hype. Here is to hoping at least.

Kimble
11-24-2010, 04:12 AM
You are far along in the process for NCIS and have another 1811 job and you spell patience as "patients"? Are you a doctor too?

Totally uncalled for. Let's keep this thread professional, and remember that people who actually work for the agency you wish to work for read this thread, and it's not too difficult to figure out who some members are.

MilEngineer
11-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Kimble,

Does being fingerprinted immediately after the screening board give any indication of how you did during the interview?

Thanks.

Kimble
11-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Kimble,

Does being fingerprinted immediately after the screening board give any indication of how you did during the interview?

Thanks.

It typically means you did well and the board will recommend you continue in the process, HOWEVER, it is not a guarantee of continuing in the process (i.e. that decision is made by HQ). Also, not having the fingerprints done is not a definite indication of not passing the board (for example, a buddy of mine was given his board at a hotel where they obviously didn't have printing materials on site). It's definitely a good sign if it's done, though. :)

OMC
11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
I know this is likely a redundant question, but does anyone have any insight as to when any announcements for new SA hires may be made? Or even if any such announcements are expected this year? I haven’t heard anything for a while now, so figured I’d ask.

thermal
11-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't heard much regarding any new announcements...plus Pres. Obama just announced the pay freeze for federal employees- I hope that dosen't hinder the hiring process.

Btw, is there any NCIS (agency standards) at Fletc during CITP/SABT - for ORT, PEB etc etc...

this also is redundant - any recent news???

MilEngineer- I am guessing you had your panel? hope it went well

mookie86
11-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I spoke with someone from HQ about a month ago and was told they were hoping to have some calls go out "within the next couple of months". I have yet to hear anything though so I am just staying patient.

Kimble
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Btw, is there any NCIS (agency standards) at Fletc during CITP/SABT - for ORT, PEB etc etc...

Several 1811 agencies have PT standards you have to meet at FLETC (either during the PEB at CITP or their add-on), NCIS is not one of them. Participation is all that's required.

M-11
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Is NCIS more like "NCIS" or "NCIS LA"?

Do you really have cool goth Lab techs?

Where do I apply?

M-11

:P

Kimble
11-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Is NCIS more like "NCIS" or "NCIS LA"? More like LA. We even walk around with one pant leg rolled up LL Cool J-style!

Do you really have cool goth Lab techs? When has TV ever gotten a depiction of real life wrong?

Where do I apply?

Just like the Kung Fu master picking his student, when the time is right and you are ready, we come and find you.

FlyBoy06
12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Any physical requirements for NCIS, I couldnt find any....Also does anyone know if hiring will start in the spring?

Kimble
12-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Any physical requirements for NCIS, I couldnt find any....

If you're going to apply to be a criminal investigator, you really gotta work on your basic investigative skills. This post was made literally 3 posts above yours: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?107050-Any-new-NCIS-news&p=2572774&viewfull=1#post2572774

coastal
12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
^^ I do not have prior LEO experience, but if you have a solid electronic and engineering background, especially in trouble shooting and R&D of new products, would a great many that possibly do these panels interpret that as potential to being able to effectively investigate a diverse line-up of cases (logic skills), especially when technology is involved? How strong is prior Navy enlisted experience? I could imagine there are two camps, those who feel it is a great experience to bring to the table, and those who feel it clouds the agent's mind and hinders 'thinking outside the box' so to speak.

airisfine
12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Calls are going out for end of JAN class

mookie86
12-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Where did you hear that air?

mookie86
12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Kimble, have you heard of any definite classes?

Kimble
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Kimble, have you heard of any definite classes?

No, but to clarify, the typical agent working cases isn't involved much in hiring or the hiring info loop (unless they're working the occasional BI on an applicant or serving as an A/C as a collateral duty). I've heard of as many as five (5) classes, including 4 CITP/SABT classes and one 1811-only SABT class, for FY2011, but nothing as far as definite dates.

If I hear of anything more specific I'll post if for you all, but unfortunately I'm not at a FO with an A/C, so hiring info here is somewhat limited. I'd suggest keeping your eye also on 911jobforums, as that site is really up-to-date on hiring info (I've read stuff on there before hearing it from my own agency channels on more than one occasion).

mookie86
12-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

airisfine
12-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Where did you hear that air?
Buddy got the call last Tuesday for class that starts last week in Jan

mookie86
12-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Wow, thats great news. Do you know how long he was in the pool?

Kimble
12-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Do you know how long he was in the pool?

To be perfectly honest, unless you're just curious about that person's application process, knowing how long a given applicant was in the hiring pool is an arbitrary issue. I was in the pool for 2 months, but that's only because they started up the next class shortly afterwords. Several of my classmates in basic were in the pool for over a year. Knowing how long a given person was in the applicant pool won't be an accurate predictor for how long you would be.

airisfine
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
To be perfectly honest, unless you're just curious about that person's application process, knowing how long a given applicant was in the hiring pool is an arbitrary issue. I was in the pool for 2 months, but that's only because they started up the next class shortly afterwords. Several of my classmates in basic were in the pool for over a year. Knowing how long a given person was in the applicant pool won't be an accurate predictor for how long you would be.

That is very accurate. I have been in the pool a year. He started the process when I received my pool letter. He never got a letter, he got the call instead.

mookie86
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Yea, I was just curious. I know that everyones process is different, just thought I would ask though. Thanks for the info guys!

MilEngineer
12-06-2010, 04:44 AM
MilEngineer- I am guessing you had your panel? hope it went well

I felt it went well, especially since I was fingerprinted. Also, I decided to drive to the nearest major city right after the oral board to get a bite to eat. I finished with the interview at about 5:00 pm. Around 9:00 pm, one of the interviewing agents called me twice to clarify some information for his report to HQ. He was still working on it at least 4 hours after I left. I was told this is also a good sign.

Does anyone know when the next board will convene at HQ?

thermal
12-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Good to hear that MilEngineer. I hope that you make it through.

I was reading through some forumns about fletc, etc... and wanted to know if we report to our duty station or go to fletc if we get the "CALL"...

Kimble, you're a knowledge bank...thanks for your input.

tsfl89
12-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Totally uncalled for. Let's keep this thread professional, and remember that people who actually work for the agency you wish to work for read this thread, and it's not too difficult to figure out who some members are.

I'd ignore the comments from Cman. I've been on other forums and that is his MO. If you look at his profile and notice his total lack of any experience related to this field, you'd see why he may feel the need to degrade others to make himself feel better (no offense to anyone else who doesn't have any LEO experience but still acts professional, of course).

Kimble
12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I was reading through some forumns about fletc, etc... and wanted to know if we report to our duty station or go to fletc if we get the "CALL"...

Duty station first to handle admin stuff (as well as likely shadow an agent on any case-related excursions while you're there), then report to FLETC when the CITP class is ready to go. I had a week at my FO before FLETC, other classmates had longer (weeks to a month or so). I believe even our prior 1811's who joined our class at SABT went to their FO or duty station prior to arriving at FLETC for the add-on course.

MilEngineer
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Kimble,

I just sent you a private message.

Kimble
12-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Kimble,

I just sent you a private message.

I got it, but unfortunately I won't be much help with your question. I'm not currently at an FO where I can easily reach out to an applicant coordinator (or know one elsewhere for that matter) on very specific details of the medical screening portion. If you've been in contact with an applicant coordinator at the office you're processing at, I'd see if he/she can dig up that info.

SmokeDabear
12-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Kimble,

I'm currently in the process with NCIS. I passed the SI, completed my urinalysis, and the suitability check is being completed as we speak. I'm meeting with the doctor on Monday to finish up with the physical. I'm very surprised how fast the process has been so far (started process early this year). The Agent conducting a suitability background told me that I can be going to the academy within a couple of months. After reading the forums, it seems like you had called them up and told them that you are willing to go anywhere. I did the same recently and was wondering if you had any inside information where there are shortages right now in NCIS. I keep hearing 29palms (it was brought up couple of times during the SI). I'm pretty sure NCIS has priority areas and I would like to start doing some research of possible location that can be offered in the future. Thanks.

Kimble
12-09-2010, 08:01 AM
...was wondering if you had any inside information where there are shortages right now in NCIS.

I don't, but then I'm not an A/C and most agents in the field aren't in tune with hiring specifics unless they're helping out on the occasional applicant BI. Office shortages naturally vary, but some of the larger FO's (i.e. San Diego, Norfolk, DC and Mayport) regularly get new agents as well.

haunas
12-10-2010, 07:45 PM
29 Stumps...that is a dream destination. Nothing better than black widow's, coyotes and much more other nefarious things on two legs. Too bad Barsto barrels isn't there anymore. Irv was a great guy. Hope you get lucky at the hiring board, my package didn't get past the board after completing everything, though on the flip side I have completed the USMS process and am hoping for a class date with them.

SmokeDabear
12-11-2010, 08:25 AM
private message sent.

MilEngineer
01-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Anything new out there?

mookie86
01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Last I heard (last week) was that they are anticipating a May class. Nothing is set in stone though.

dan813
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Sure is quiet!

Corpor_usmc
04-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I applied to a NCIS 1810 position last night... anyone else applied for it? It was only opened for 24 hours....

secondchance1
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I applied to a NCIS 1810 position last night... anyone else applied for it? It was only opened for 24 hours....

Good luck "Devil Dog." I attempted to, but due to technical glitch with their server I wasn't able to complete my application and as promised the announcement disappeared promptly at midnight.

It looks like there was only (1) one opening, hopefully it wasn't already filled - if you know what I mean...

Corpor_usmc
04-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Good luck "Devil Dog." I attempted to, but due to technical glitch with their server I wasn't able to complete my application and as promised the announcement disappeared promptly at midnight.

It looks like there was only (1) one opening, hopefully it wasn't already filled - if you know what I mean...

Yea bro, I know what you mean by that...

izamsilas
04-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone have the req for that? I missed it but am curious what the posting said....

Corpor_usmc
04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Anyone have the req for that? I missed it but am curious what the posting said....

Here you go buddy :)

Job Title: INVESTIGATOR
Department: Department Of The Navy
Agency: Department of the Navy/Assistant for Administration
Sub Agency: The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS)
Job Announcement Number: NW1-1810-12-4I018528-E-IN

Salary Range: $68,809.00 - $89,450.00 /year
Salary includes locality pay.
Series & Grade: GS-1810-12/22
Open Period: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 to Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Position Information: Full-Time Term position not to exceed 1 year
Duty Locations: Jacksonville, FL
Who May Be Considered: All U.S. citizens.
Job Summary:

This position is located within the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) field office.

Please refer to 'Major Duties' for additional information about this position.

Key Requirements:

* U.S. Citizenship

Major Duties:

You will be dedicated to conducting criminal investigations of current and former U.S. government (USG) employees who are suspected of seeking and/or receiving fraudulent worker's compensation benefits under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA). These violations involve continuation of pay, medical and related expenses, loss of wages and leave buyback. Duties include analyzing complaints or suspicions of illegal activity, interviewing witnesses and preparing reports of findings.

You will plan, organize and conduct investigations wherein the United States Marine Corps and United States Navy have an underlying interest, resulting in civil or administrative actions, judgments, sanctions, or decisions. If the investigation reveals evidence of major criminal activity, you will work in conjunction with an NCIS Special Agent for criminal prosecutive resolution. This may include assisting in criminal indices checks, obtaining and executing search/arrest warrants, and recording or maintaining the integrity of physical evidence.

Qualifications:

To qualify for this position, your resume must show sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered.

Additional qualification information should be obtained from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/group-stds/Gs-admin.asp.

Special Requirements:

Selectee must complete a Special Background investigation and receive a favorable adjudication by a determining authority. Must be eligible for a Top Secret Clearance and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information.

The Department of the Navy is a Drug Free Workplace employer. Selectee of this position will be subject to drug testing prior to employment and periodic random testing after entering on duty. Incumbent may also be subjected to drug testing based on reasonable suspicion of illegal drug use.

Selectee may be required to successfully complete a polygraph examination.

An offer of employment may be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments, fails the medical/agility/drug test, lacks the certification requirements, or is unable to obtain a security clearance.

This position requires access to firearms or ammunition. The Federal government is prohibited from employing individuals in such position who have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, or a felony crime of domestic violence adjudged on or after 27 November 2002. Selectee for such position must submit a completed DD Form 2760, Qualification to Possess Firearms or Ammunition, before a final job offer can be made.

If you are a Federal civilian annuitant, click on https://chart.donhr.navy.mil/info/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf for important information about employment of annuitants.

A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.

mookie86
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
So, I heard that some people received a call for a July class. Any word on how that is going, or if any new info is floating around out there?

MIDeputy
07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
So, I heard that some people received a call for a July class. Any word on how that is going, or if any new info is floating around out there?

NCIS extended offers to 13 people for a CITP class that is scheduled to start on Monday (July 11th). As with most federal agencies currently, if they are even hiring, it is on a small scale and depends on a very unpredictable budget.

WindyCityCop
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Pretty quiet on here for awhile. Any idea when the CITP classes for 2012 will be? or how many might get hired?

MIDeputy
08-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Pretty quiet on here for awhile. Any idea when the CITP classes for 2012 will be? or how many might get hired?

I wouldn't hold out much hope. I talked a guy from NCIS today at a training conference and he said the word around the campfire is there isn't going to be much hiring going on with them for the next couple of years. Furthermore, he stated he heard NCIS was looking to eliminate approximately 60 billets through normal attrition.

I don't know how true this information is? I'm merely parroting what I heard from someone with the agency.

Kimble
08-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't hold out much hope. I talked a guy from NCIS today at a training conference and he said the word around the campfire is there isn't going to be much hiring going on with them for the next couple of years. Furthermore, he stated he heard NCIS was looking to eliminate approximately 60 billets through normal attrition.

While I now work for another LE agency, that is on par with what I heard from one of the exec assist directors less than a month ago. Those in the process should be prepared for a very long wait, and don't put all your eggs in one basket if there are other 1811 jobs that interest you.

Cman21
08-21-2011, 08:56 AM
While I now work for another LE agency, that is on par with what I heard from one of the exec assist directors less than a month ago. Those in the process should be prepared for a very long wait, and don't put all your eggs in one basket if there are other 1811 jobs that interest you.

So you left NCIS?

Kimble
08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
So you left NCIS?

I believe we have a trained investigator in the makings here. LoL :D

Yes, after starting a family and realizing how important it was to me to have a stable family life for my kids I resigned from NCIS after accepting an offer with another agency closer to home, so there's at least one billet possibly open in the future for those in the hiring process.

I don't want to be preachy, I enjoyed working for NCIS (but took the job before being married with kids), but for those applicants who have families and do not wish to move every few years throughout their career, sit down with your family and really talk about whether this job is the right fit. If you're single and willing to move anywhere, no worries, I've had many geo-bachelor friends who lived like kings and did good work with NCIS, and I've had many coworkers who had families who did not have deep roots tied anywhere and enjoyed moving regularly (overseas and within CONUS). For those folks NCIS is a great job (it's a great job regardless, but for me family comes first). Again, not trying to be preachy, but since it came up figured I'd through in my 2 pennies for the few applicants who may see this who have kids and hopes that they'll land a long-term assignment in an office close to where their family is. That's not a likely outcome in light of the agency's new push (and possible future policy) to move agents every 3-4 years.

MilEngineer
05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
NCIS just had another announcement which stated it would be open May 10-13, 2013, but the link to the pdf application instructions was taken down on 13 May. It was not posted on USAJOBS. The instructions said to e-mail or fax the following required documents within 10 days of the closing date:

- Current resume
- SF -50 Notification of Personnel Action (if current or previous Federal employee)
- DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty

So, I e-mailed the required documents within 10 days of the closing date. Has anyone ever seen NCIS not use USAJOBS and let applicants apply after the closing date?

Thanks.

Kbar
05-16-2013, 08:13 PM
NCIS just had another announcement which stated it would be open May 10-13, 2013, but the link to the pdf application instructions was taken down on 13 May. It was not posted on USAJOBS. The instructions said to e-mail or fax the following required documents within 10 days of the closing date:

- Current resume
- SF -50 Notification of Personnel Action (if current or previous Federal employee)
- DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty

So, I e-mailed the required documents within 10 days of the closing date. Has anyone ever seen NCIS not use USAJOBS and let applicants apply after the closing date?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have the email address that was given? If it is sensitive, feel free to pm me. Thanks.

sgt jon
05-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Has anyone ever seen NCIS not use USAJOBS and let applicants apply after the closing date?

Thanks.

In short- NO. The only time USAJobs is not used is for strictly internal positions (transfers)

When an announcement (external or internal) is made- the closing date is finite. All in on time or not in.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have the email address that was given? If it is sensitive, feel free to pm me. Thanks.

To be blunt-what good would having the POC email address serve? Open periods (even if cut short) are open periods; after which they will not accept applications. If you have questions about when they will open again the person at THAT email address will have no idea-they are just the focal point for applications during THAT open period and have nothing to do with posting announcements.

Unsolicited applications will not be processed or acknowledged and truth be told-corresponding to the designated person with anything but an application during the open period will only serve to frustrate them.

That said -as Kimble pointed out, the mobility requirements of the agency is sometimes a point of contention and something to take into serious consideration if a person is considering making application. When hired you will be selected for a specific office and can expect to serve several years there before you would vie for a transfer to another office. You may also be tapped for overseas assignments. NCIS is a global organization-go into it knowing that you may well be sent anywhere at any time.

--)They are NOT currently accepting applications, but you can and should periodically check: http://www.ncis.navy.mil/Careers/SpecialAgent/Pages/default.aspx .Remember that if you Bookmark that page and return later-REFRESH your page so you are sure that you are not looking at a cached version.

While the above page will advise of openings, ALL vacancy announcements WILL BE posted on USAJobs under the 1811 Job Series. I would suggest setting up an account on USAJobs where you should have your resume and supporting documents uploaded to and where you can also establish a “search agent” that will send you e-mail notifications of jobs you identify. While the latter is no substitute for due diligence and regular checks, it can help identify positions which may be of interest.

To reiterate some key points:

Are You Qualified to be an NCIS Special Agent?

• You must not have reached 37 years of age (exceptions are preference eligible veterans and those currently covered under the 6C Federal Law Enforcement retirement system).

• You must have an accredited baccalaureate degree.

• You must have vision correctable to 20/20 with normal color vision.

• You must be a U.S.-born or naturalized U.S. citizen.

• You must pass a background suitability screening.

• You must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.

• You must have a valid driver's license.

The above are MINIMAL qualifications.

FWIW-There are also occasionally 1810 (General Investigator) positions that come up with NCIS. These jobs deal with a wide range of cases but the scope of work falls just below the threshold of an 1811- which means you can be over 37. Mind you that these are not law enforcement positions and are very specialized; dealing with frauds and the like, but don’t look at an 1810 position as a pathway to an 1811 gig. Two different jobs.

They are also posted on USAJobs.

ForzaMilan
05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Folks, I spoke with a recruiter today and he said that the announcement was posted on NCIS website. That would explain why I didn't get a notification on USAJOBS about this. Don't know how to feel about it. but if I wanted something hard enough, I should be checking NCIS daily :) Oh well, lesson learned.

Kimble
05-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Has anyone ever seen NCIS not use USAJOBS and let applicants apply after the closing date?

I applied for - and was hired by - NCIS when they only had vacancy postings on their official website, but that was before they started using USAJobs and when they had a permanently opened vancancy announcement (2004/2005-ish). However, since they started doing vancancy annoucements with a definite closing date I am not aware of NCIS, or any federal LE job for that matter, allowing applications after the closing date. Common sense would dictate that negates the whole point of having a closing date.

FWIW-There are also occasionally 1810 (General Investigator) positions that come up with NCIS. These jobs deal with a wide range of cases but the scope of work falls just below the threshold of an 1811- which means you can be over 37. Mind you that these are not law enforcement positions and are very specialized; dealing with frauds and the like, but don’t look at an 1810 position as a pathway to an 1811 gig. Two different jobs.

Respectfully I'd have to disagree with the statement that 1810 positions within NCIS (not speaking of all 1810 positions USG-wide) are not law enforcement. They carry a badge and gun, have the title Investigator, and are considered sworn colleagues by the NCIS 1811/agent corps. They are highly specialized (in areas including forensic/crime scenes, domestic violence investigations, protective operations, fraud, etc), top out at GS-12, do not receive LEAP and in every situation I've seen were hired because they brought vast amounts of experience to the table (most I've met, and I've personally worked with probably a dozen NCIS 1810's, were retired police detectives that work for agencies that were local to the field office that hired them). The 1810 positions are not under 6c/12d LE retirement (which is why they can be hired above 37 yoa), but I wouldn't say that this classifies them as something other than law enforcement officers/federal agents when their duties clearly mirror those of their agent brethern (1810's simply specialized in a given field vice work the full spectrum of NCIS' CI/CT/crim mission).

MilEngineer
05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
In short- NO. The only time USAJobs is not used is for strictly internal positions (transfers)

Why was the announcement posted on the NCIS website where everybody can see it? The "Who May Apply" section shows that any U.S. Citizen may apply as long as the "Key Requirements" are met (see below).

However, since they started doing vancancy annoucements with a definite closing date I am not aware of NCIS, or any federal LE job for that matter, allowing applications after the closing date. Common sense would dictate that negates the whole point of having a closing date.

I 100% agree about the point of having a closing date. The 10-day requirement in the announcement does seem odd. However, under "Required Documents", instructions clearly state to e-mail or fax documents within 10 business days of the closing date. Below are excerpts taken verbatim:

Who May Apply
U.S. Citizens who meet the requirements outlined in the Key Requirements section. ...

Key Requirements
Must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Must be able to obtain and
maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance. Must pass the Special Agent in-depth panel interview. Must
pass an extensive NCIS background investigation. Must sign a mobility agreement. Must successfully
complete an expanded-scope screening polygraph examination. Must be willing to travel. Must have
not reached 37 years of age unless presently under covered service.

How to Apply
Individuals applying for this announcement are required to complete and submit a resume. The
preferred method of submissions is via email/scan... . If unable to e-mail, please fax... .

Required Documents
THIS SECTION CONTAINS VALUABLE INFORMATION ON WHAT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE
REQUIRED AND HOW TO FAX THEM. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY. Applicants are encouraged to submit the following documents via email or fax within 10 business days of the closing date of this
announcement. Applicants who have previously submitted required documents do not need to
resubmit,
• Current Resume
• SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action (if current or previous Federal employee)
• DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty

sgt jon
05-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Respectfully I'd have to disagree with the statement that 1810 positions within NCIS (not speaking of all 1810 positions USG-wide) are not law enforcement. They carry a badge and gun, have the title Investigator, and are considered sworn colleagues by the NCIS 1811/agent corps. They are highly specialized (in areas including forensic/crime scenes, domestic violence investigations, protective operations, fraud, etc), top out at GS-12, do not receive LEAP and in every situation I've seen were hired because they brought vast amounts of experience to the table (most I've met, and I've personally worked with probably a dozen NCIS 1810's, were retired police detectives that work for agencies that were local to the field office that hired them). The 1810 positions are not under 6c/12d LE retirement (which is why they can be hired above 37 yoa), but I wouldn't say that this classifies them as something other than law enforcement officers/federal agents when their duties clearly mirror those of their agent brethern (1810's simply specialized in a given field vice work the full spectrum of NCIS' CI/CT/crim mission).

In no way-shape-or form was I denigrating the work done by the 1810s of NCIS (or any other agency for that matter) I was more clarifying before folks see a vacancy and think it’s the same as an 1811. While they get badges and credentials that say Investigator, most are issued a firearm for duty use and those working criminal cases edge right up to the 1811 line-I wanted to ensure folks understood the difference.

I know several Investigators and you are right-they come aboard with a ton of experience. And yes, they are viewed as colleagues by experts in their own rights; but as I said-I wanted to quell any confusion that comes up when those positions open up and folks wonder why it’s advertised as working Workers Compensation or Protective Services and ask if they get LEAP, a gun or have arrest authority.

sgt jon
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Why was the announcement posted on the NCIS website where everybody can see it? The "Who May Apply" section shows that any U.S. Citizen may apply as long as the "Key Requirements" are met (see below).

Perhaps my statement confused you. Public vacancies are posted on USAJobs-the NCIS site will advise of openings for 1811s and will direct you to USAJobs to apply. Internal vacancies come up from time to time due to realignments and billet shifts-but those are exclusive to current NCIS personnel and are advertised via internal notices.

I 100% agree about the point of having a closing date. The 10-day requirement in the announcement does seem odd. However, under "Required Documents", instructions clearly state to e-mail or fax documents within 10 business days of the closing date. Below are excerpts taken verbatim:

These days it is more often than not that 1811 and similar positions will have a short open window in which to apply-and as demonstrated by some recent announcements, they said : Closes at Midnight on XX/XX/XXXX or once 500 applications are received.

Applicants are encouraged to submit the following documents via email or fax within 10 business days of the closing date of this announcement.

Because your application is not considered complete until everything is received, agencies will sometimes count you as partially in once you submit your application but allow for a few days past the closing date to submit required paperwork. This is not always the case and more often than not the announcement will clearly state that everything must be in before the closing period.

Lesson here-If you are dead set on a particular agency, part of your daily routine should be to check the agency announcement site, to establish a job search agent on USAJobs and to have ready to go all required documents. You can upload unofficial transcripts, DD-214’s, SF-50’s and evaluations (for current Feds) onto USAJobs so they are at the ready or you can burn those docs to a CD so they are at hand at a moments notice.

sbi_zulu
05-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Did anyone who applied to this vacancy receive any sort of confirmation email that your app was received?

Beau405
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM
This most recent NCIS announcement confuses me. I have been in the hiring process with AFOSI since June of 2011. I have made it through every step of the process and have been approved for hire, but was road blocked by the sequestration that involved a hiring freeze and furloughs of DOD employees. With all of he budget constraints within the DOD, I can't believe they would open a hiring announcement. Why would they advertise for positions that they may not be able to fill in this fiscal years, or the next? For those that applied, I would remain very cautiously optimistic!

In regards to NCIS using their website instead of USA jobs, I have seen this done with other agencies. For example, AFOSI advertised their last openings on their website. The vacancy announcement was only open for a week and you had to be one of those people who checked it every day, or have an inside connection.

Heres hoping to a quick and positive end to the sequestration and all of its negative repercussions!

sbi_zulu
05-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Why would they advertise for positions that they may not be able to fill in this fiscal years, or the next? For those that applied, I would remain very cautiously optimistic!
Heres hoping to a quick and positive end to the sequestration and all of its negative repercussions!

I'll second that, Beau!

There was a post in another forum on 5/23/13 that a person had received "the call" for NCIS and was offered a FLETC date. This person stated they turned down the offer because of a deployment and was told by HR to expect a subsequent call for a later class in August. So, there is presumably some movement in terms of sending people to FLETC thereby reducing the ready list. I am purely speculating that this most recent announcement will be used to:

1) Replenish the ready list for people being sent to the alleged upcoming FLETC classes. OR

2) Move very quickly to send a few people to these upcoming FLETC classes. I would imagine there have been people on the ready list for a long time and with time comes new obligations which might preclude taking the NCIS gig. Perhaps HR is moving through the ready list faster than expected and this new announcement will move quickly to fill up whatever seats are remaining (I would be surprised to be in a FLETC class any time soon off this announcement, but here's to dreaming!) OR

3) Bring on 1811's who the agency already has in mind to lateral over. They can join these upcoming classes in the add-on portion, bringing knowledge, experience, and saving the agency cost of CITP.

I have no idea what the budget situation is with NCIS but since I have not seen much activity on the forums for awhile I assume they have not done much hiring for the past few years. Perhaps attrition has left so many vacant billets that they can bring a small number of folks aboard despite the overall DOD fiscal environment. Just speculation. You said it best- I'll be VERY cautiously optimistic. Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.

sbi_zulu
05-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Also, I would be willing to bet that even though civilian hiring is on hold, AFOSI has still been running military agents through FLETC. AFOSI can increase their ranks with active duty military members but with NCIS being all civilian (for the most part) they do not have that option. Putting civilian hiring on hold at AFOSI does not necessarily mean foregoing bringing on new agents like it does with NCIS.

Beau405
05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
For your sake, I hope your right! I'm just speaking from two years of frustration in dealing with two hiring freezes and now the sequestration. If they do hire, I'm sure it will be after Oct 1st. I can't imagine they would hire in the middle of furloughs...

divinefalcon
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Did anyone who applied to this vacancy receive any sort of confirmation email that your app was received?

Please post if you hear anything. It's odd that it was posted with such limited exposure. It seems like a targeted announcement but there wasn't anything specific in it.

TopGun87
05-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Please post if you hear anything. It's odd that it was posted with such limited exposure. It seems like a targeted announcement but there wasn't anything specific in it.

I've noticed that a lot of smaller agencies tend to have pre-selected candidates for short suspense vacancies (24hrs) not broadcasted to the public. So, I continue to wait on a vacancy that states "U.S. Citizens" starts at GL-7/09-1811 and last for at least 5 days.

ForzaMilan
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Hey folks, can someone send me a copy of the last announcement, so I can at least get an idea of what it looks like? You can pm it to me if you would like. Thanks in advance.

MilEngineer
06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Hey folks, can someone send me a copy of the last announcement, so I can at least get an idea of what it looks like? You can pm it to me if you would like. Thanks in advance.

I am not able to post web links yet. Below is the announcement:

Who May Apply
U.S. Citizens who meet the requirements outlined in the Key Requirements section. Positions in the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) are in the Excepted Service and are excluded from the provisions of the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP).

Duration Appointment
Permanent

Marketing Statement
In the global war on terrorism, one civilian law enforcement agency safeguards those who defend our nation. NCIS is looking for unique men and women who can successfully engage the ever-changing demands of the 21st century threat environment. NCIS enforces laws wherever members of the Navy and Marine Corps work - even at sea. With expertise ranging from undercover operations to technical surveillance, forensics to counterintelligence analysis, and much more, NCIS professionals lead the way - navigating today’s changing global threat landscape - confronting criminals, terrorists, spies and undefined threats wherever they may be.

Summary
Protecting those who defend our nation is a dynamic mission that demands a unique individual. Are you ready? For more information about NCIS, please visit: [NCIS website]. Starting pay will be set within the range specified in this announcement and will be based on your qualifications. More information on pay can be found at: [OPM website]. In addition, Special Agents receive 25% Law Enforcement Availability Pay (LEAP) which is added to their base salary and locality pay. To receive LEAP an NCIS Special Agent must work an annual average of two or more hours unscheduled duty per scheduled workday. This work may include evening or weekends.

Announcement Number HQ-2013-0001
Promotion Potential GS-13
Position Title Criminal Investigator GS-1811-7/13
Hiring Agency NCIS
Open Period 05/10/2013 - 05/13/2013
This vacancy is limited to a certain number of applicants and may close before the close date listed here if that limit is reached.
Duty Locations
Few vacancies in various CONUS locations.
Series/Grade GS 1811 07/09/11/12/13
Salary $43964 to $125926

MOBILITY: Mobility of the Special Agent work force is necessary to accomplish the NCIS mission and helps support an individual’s career development. As a condition of employment, all Special Agents are required to sign a mobility agreement indicating their availability for and willingness to accept periodic assignments within the Continental United States (CONUS), outside CONUS, or overseas. Special Agents can expect multiple relocations during their career with NCIS. In addition, Special Agents may be required to deploy on assignments to support military forces in high-risk environments. Applicants may request a preference for assignment, and while this information will be considered, assignments will be based on the mission requirements and staffing needs of NCIS. A Special Agent can generally expect to remain at the first office of assignment for a minimum of 3 years. Relocation expenses to the FIRST official duty station will not be paid by NCIS.

Key Requirements
Must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance. Must pass the Special Agent in-depth panel interview. Must pass an extensive NCIS background investigation. Must sign a mobility agreement. Must successfully complete an expanded-scope screening polygraph examination. Must be willing to travel. Must have not reached 37 years of age unless presently under covered service.

Major Duties
Major Duties: Conducts proactive operations designed to reduce criminal activity utilizing special techniques designed to protect Department of the Navy (DON) resources, assets, military members, and their families. Responds to reports of criminal activity, processes potential crime scenes, interviews witnesses and victims, and interrogates subjects. Employs special techniques such as surveillance, verbal wire intercepts, and forensic analysis. Formulates an investigative plan and completes logical leads in order to resolve criminal investigations. Documents investigative work through product summary reports, statements, and warrants. Conducts investigations and follows logical investigative leads by responding to intelligence information using available resources (including databases, National Security Letters, sources, and surveillance). Conducts liaison with U.S. state, and local law enforcement agencies in order to facilitate exchanges of information. Maintains relationships with foreign law enforcement and intelligence agencies in order to enhance the safety of deployed DON assets. Leverages resources available throughout the intelligence community and within the agency from areas such as cyber, analytical support, tech, general criminal investigations, and combating terrorism.

Education
Must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.

Requirements
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Must successfully complete a medical examination by an authorized Federal Medical Officer.
• NCIS is a drug-free workplace. Selectees must comply with the DON drug testing program.
• Special Agent positions are subject to the Lautenberg Amendment/Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968.
• Special Agents are required to qualify to
• carry a firearm as part of assigned duties and to maintain firearm proficiency. Must successfully complete an expanded-scope screening polygraph examination...
• All NCIS Special Agents are ordinarily required to successfully complete a trial period.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
• Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
• Direct Deposit of pay is required.
• Must complete a confidential financial disclosure report prior to appointment.
• New hires (with the exception of current 1811 series Criminal Investigators) must successfully complete the Criminal Investigator Training Program (CITP) and the NCIS Special Agent Basic Training Program (SABTP), located at the Federal Law
• Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Glynco, GA. However, current series 1811 Criminal Investigators
• that have successfully completed an accredited CITP will only be required to successfully complete the NCIS SABTP course. Failure to successfully complete the training program(s) will result in separation.
• Must sign a mobility agreement.

Evaluations
Your application will be reviewed to determine whether you meet the basic eligibility. If our evaluation demonstrates that you meet the position’s requirements, your application will be forwarded for further consideration.

Qualifications
Applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website:
[Department of Education website].

How to Apply
Individuals applying for this announcement are required to complete and submit a resume. The
preferred method of submissions is via email/scan… If unable to e-mail, please fax..

Required Documents
THIS SECTION CONTAINS VALUABLE INFORMATION ON WHAT SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AND HOW TO FAX THEM. PLEASE READ IT CAREFULLY. Applicants are encouraged to submit the following documents via email or fax within 10 business days of the closing date of this announcement. Applicants who have previously submitted required documents do not need to resubmit,
• Current Resume
• SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action (if current or previous Federal employee)
• DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
Please email documents…or fax…

Benefits
Benefits include health insurance plans, retirement system with investment options, paid holidays, paid sick and annual (vacation) leave, life insurance, subsidized transportation, training and development opportunities, and incentive programs. This position is covered under the special retirement provisions for law enforcement officers. For more information about these benefits, please visit: BENEFITS.

Other Information
NCIS is an equal opportunity employer. All applications will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age (subject to the limitations outlined in announcement), or non-disqualifying disability.

divinefalcon
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Anyone heard anything from the May announcement?

MilEngineer
12-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Anyone heard anything from the May announcement?

Anything yet?

FutureAgent001
01-01-2014, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine is in the application process and is at the BI stage but hasn't been polygraphed. Does anyone know if all agent candidates get polygraphed or is it random? If yes, at what point in the process is the poly usually conducted? Thanks.

sgt jon
01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
A friend of mine is in the application process and is at the BI stage but hasn't been polygraphed. Does anyone know if all agent candidates get polygraphed or is it random? If yes, at what point in the process is the poly usually conducted? Thanks.

This is something that your friend will need to find out as they move forward.

Regardless- expect to be subject to one at some juncture if brought on.

1cowboy
01-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Spoke to an NCIS agent approximately two weeks ago and he stated that Poly's would be the norm for applicants from now on. Said that it will not only be a counterintelligence (CI) poly but will also include more of the full scope stuff (drugs, crim. background, etc.).

Also, there is a projected class for Feb and one in June both will have 24 new hires per class. Hope that helps.

jmmholdings
02-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Has anyone heard about the February FLETC class? I heard that it was pushed back to May. Does anyone know if the class is 24 or 48 agents and when they normally make final offers? Is anyone else done with the process??

hangman
02-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know when NCIS will be hiring again?

sgt jon
02-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know when NCIS will be hiring again?

Nothing official- anything more is conjecture, rumor and pure speculation.

promet
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
We received word that our hiring office will be posting an announcement sometime this month. They tried posting it on Monday, but there was a problem with USAJobs and it was pulled. Keep looking, as it'll only be up for a short while and we usually get a ton of applicants.

As far as hiring, the field has been getting slammed with actions to conduct agent applicant background investigations, so I'm guessing HQ wants to hire. We got authorized to hire 54 agents to increase our sexual assault response capability last year, but as far as I know we've brought lass than half that on board recently. Combine that with tons of agents leaving over the past few years, and we are short on street agents and supervisors.

1cowboy
02-07-2014, 10:22 PM
The above statement was correct as the Feb class has been pushed back to May. They are also possibly going to have a September class. Both classes will have 24 new hires. This information is coming from an NCIS agent at HQ.

MilEngineer
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Do NCIS interns get offered an 1811 position during the internship depending on their performance?

promet
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Do NCIS interns get offered an 1811 position during the internship depending on their performance?

While NCIS has hired a lot of former interns, there's not an automatic job offer after completing the internship. However, they are a great opportunity to make a reputation for yourself and get some recommendations from working agents.

sgt jon
02-12-2014, 10:10 PM

In short- no.

Positions are not “offered” to folks in the way you are thinking. While some past Interns have come aboard with NCIS and other agencies – it was because they met the qualifications, were screened, interviewed and tested well enough to be given a COE. They then passed everything and were brought aboard.

While your performance and interactions with agency staff if positive cant hurt- when selecting people it is only qualifications and set standards that can be used to evaluate applicants for a position.

Don’t look at an Internship as a route to employment with a given agency- look at as an opportunity to gain some insight into the agency and in most cases- earn course credits. Also, don’t apply your (or others) limited view gained during an internship as a true reflection on an agency or field office.

And not every Intern is interested in an 1811 position- some want to be 132’s, 340’s, 301’s, 080’s or 1810’s to name a few other jobs. With say NCIS, its half agent and half professional staff- for other agencies it tends to tilt higher on the PRO Staff side than agent side.

MilEngineer
02-13-2014, 08:03 AM
In short- no.

Positions are not “offered” to folks in the way you are thinking. While some past Interns have come aboard with NCIS and other agencies – it was because they met the qualifications, were screened, interviewed and tested well enough to be given a COE. They then passed everything and were brought aboard.

While your performance and interactions with agency staff if positive cant hurt- when selecting people it is only qualifications and set standards that can be used to evaluate applicants for a position.

Don’t look at an Internship as a route to employment with a given agency- look at as an opportunity to gain some insight into the agency and in most cases- earn course credits. Also, don’t apply your (or others) limited view gained during an internship as a true reflection on an agency or field office.

And not every Intern is interested in an 1811 position- some want to be 132’s, 340’s, 301’s, 080’s or 1810’s to name a few other jobs. With say NCIS, its half agent and half professional staff- for other agencies it tends to tilt higher on the PRO Staff side than agent side.

Thanks.

MilEngineer
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
We received word that our hiring office will be posting an announcement sometime this month. They tried posting it on Monday, but there was a problem with USAJobs and it was pulled. Keep looking, as it'll only be up for a short while and we usually get a ton of applicants.

Any further news on exactly when NCIS will post the announcement? Did it open and close already?

promet
02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Any further news on exactly when NCIS will post the announcement? Did it open and close already?

Opens at 0001 on Monday and closes 48 hours later.

sgt jon
02-26-2014, 08:18 PM

Last word was that it will open for a day or two on USAJobs – circa early in the 1st week of March. It will be listed under the 1811 series.

As such, it would behoove you to have everything in order. If you don’t already have an account and resume on USAJobs- get it going now. Ensure you have copies of transcripts, DD-214’s, etc, etc, etc on hand and uploaded to your USAJobs account.

Once it posts- read the announcement from start to finish and then read it again- ensure you are doing exactly what is directed and before it closes. Far too many applicants fail to get their complete application in and are left behind. Far too many applicants fail to do as directed and are left behind.

Det_sje
02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Does anybody know how long it takes to get hired on by NCIS???

Esco
02-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Lol. As short as a few months to as long as a few years. Depending on who u know, and who u are.

Det_sje
02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Lol. As short as a few months to as long as a few years. Depending on who u know, and who u are.

That's a solid copy!! I don't know anybody with ncis......lived in and worked in one town for the past 30 years.

sgt jon
02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Does anybody know how long it takes to get hired on by NCIS???

There is no solid answer to this question.
With so many variable that can come into play, anything proffered would be notional at-best.
Variables:
• Workload at HQ while processing applications

• Ability to convene a board

• Snow days in Quantico

• Interviews and scheduling

• Turnaround on medicals

• Turnaround on initial screening

• Turnaround on backgrounds

• Selection, offer and acceptance turnaround

And the big one------
• Budget, budget, budget and budget

While having current clearance helps- it is not a guarantee that your BI will go without a hitch. While having CITP already done helps- it is by no means a guarantee. While having lived in the same place since birth, with no issues at all- is by no means a guarantee everything will rocket through.

This agency, like much of the government is saddled with thousands of applications for scant few positions. They must cull through them all and process those tentatively selected. They then must give and have accepted a COE. They there are dozens of things to do before an EOD. Then you have to have a class at FLETC- graduate, complete field training and…..

Det_sje
02-27-2014, 08:40 AM
There is no solid answer to this question.
With so many variable that can come into play, anything proffered would be notional at-best.
Variables:
• Workload at HQ while processing applications

• Ability to convene a board

• Snow days in Quantico

• Interviews and scheduling

• Turnaround on medicals

• Turnaround on initial screening

• Turnaround on backgrounds

• Selection, offer and acceptance turnaround

And the big one------
• Budget, budget, budget and budget

While having current clearance helps- it is not a guarantee that your BI will go without a hitch. While having CITP already done helps- it is by no means a guarantee. While having lived in the same place since birth, with no issues at all- is by no means a guarantee everything will rocket through.

This agency, like much of the government is saddled with thousands of applications for scant few positions. They must cull through them all and process those tentatively selected. They then must give and have accepted a COE. They there are dozens of things to do before an EOD. Then you have to have a class at FLETC- graduate, complete field training and…..

Thanks for the response.......I know most of these processes take 1.5 - 2 years to get hired on. Hoping that NCIS would be a little faster but I see that several people on this forum have already been in this process for some years. But thanks again.

sgt jon
02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the response.......I know most of these processes take 1.5 - 2 years to get hired on. Hoping that NCIS would be a little faster but I see that several people on this forum have already been in this process for some years. But thanks again.

Out of curiosity- why would you assume they (or any agency for that matter) are any faster than another?

With smaller “boutique” agencies you may actually face a longer process because they tend to not have a dedicated recruitment unit.

Some folks go rocket ship fast while others seem to take forever. A number of factors come into play as noted previously and while you should take note- the timeline experienced by others is no indicator of what you or someone else may bear.

If interested- apply when it opens up. Keep at other applications and if an offer is made- make a decision.

promet
02-27-2014, 11:09 PM
I previously posted that the next announcement opened at 0001 on Monday and was open for 48 hours. I was wrong and it's actually scheduled to be open for 72 hours. But, if you're interested you might want to apply right when it opens.

Hiring for initial entry folks at most agencies seems to be a bit of a hurry up and wait process. Typically, the hurry part tends to come when they have a class that needs filling.

jmmholdings
02-28-2014, 01:24 PM
I heard the next upcoming class is April not May. Any information when final offers go out?

liberty82
02-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know if NCIS will accept the Farnsworth d-15 in replacement of the Ishihara test? I am a current FLEO and it was accepted with my current agency when I came on board. Thanks in advance for your help.

promet
03-03-2014, 10:42 AM
The job announcement is up on USAJobs if anyone is interested.

Not sure about upcoming classes. Last rumor I heard was May and September, but class dates tend to move around a lot and I'm not in the loop on the sort of thing.

I have no idea about the color vision test. NCIS physicals are usually done at DOD medical facilities, so maybe there's a DOD policy on it.

BiggyWannaBGman
03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
The job announcement is up on USAJobs if anyone is interested.

Not sure about upcoming classes. Last rumor I heard was May and September, but class dates tend to move around a lot and I'm not in the loop on the sort of thing.

I have no idea about the color vision test. NCIS physicals are usually done at DOD medical facilities, so maybe there's a DOD policy on it.

Promet,

Do you accept messages to your inbox? I wanted I send you a brief message to ask your opinion if you don't mind.

Thank you

liberty82
03-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Bham
03-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like only current feds and vets can apply for this latest posting.

myty7
03-03-2014, 05:55 PM
It says they receive priority.

Can someone speak to the current deployment/overseas assignment policy? How often, how long, how mandatory, etc.?

liberty82
03-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Can someone speak to the current deployment/overseas assignment policy? How often, how long, how mandatory, etc.?

I can't speak on the policy, but most of your questions can be answered by doing a simple Google search or reviewing the ncis website.

divinefalcon
03-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Odd. Didn't think current Federal employees received any special consideration in Excepted positions. Other than pay matching within-grade.

liberty82
03-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Excepted hiring authority allows agency to skip steps, which streamline the process and they do not have to follow the traditional competitive hiring procedures. That is why there is not an agency test to move forward in the process and so on. It does not mean that a non-federal employee and non-vet can not be hired. If you don't apply then you have no chance of getting the job. I have spent six hours working on my narratives for my answers to the questions and still have a few more hours of typing ahead myself. This is your chance to sell yourself to NCIS and begin a great career. Good luck to those who are applying.

liberty82
03-03-2014, 08:07 PM
If anyone is wondering I spoke with the hiring office today and the Farnsworth D-15 will be accepted if you can not pass the Ishihara Test. I was informed that all medical screenings for federal agencies are handled by opm, which means its the same standard across the board.

saone
03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
I have spent six hours working on my narratives for my answers to the questions and still have a few more hours of typing ahead myself. This is your chance to sell yourself to NCIS and begin a great career. Good luck to those who are applying.

I hope you get a shot. That is dedication.

On the other hand, six hours is a lot of time to write a few blocks of 500 words or less. You may be over thinking this by a factor of 1000.

liberty82
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM

On the other hand, six hours is a lot of time to write a few blocks of 500 words or less. You may be over thinking this by a factor of 1000.

If your already a Special Agent and got the job with providing just the minimal requirements more power to you. On the other hand, I am a FLEO and I have applied and been through a few of these processes. When I went to the ATF interview back in 2012, they had my resume and my answers to the job related questions at the interview. So I believe its pretty important to put your best foot forward. Another example is the ICE SA job announcement in 2011, where the cut off score for your answers to their job related questions was a 93 or higher and I received a cut off score of a 89. I would have moved forward in that process if I had articulated in more details with my answers. Thanks for giving the minimal effort and helping thin out the competition.

3531Marine
03-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Am I the only one that just listed what jobs on my resume show that I have the experience level I claimed to have? I thoughts that's what they were asking for, my resume should illustrate my experience level pretty well.

divinefalcon
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
Am I the only one that just listed what jobs on my resume show that I have the experience level I claimed to have? I thoughts that's what they were asking for, my resume should illustrate my experience level pretty well.

Not with NCIS, but with other processes I've had success in adapting my resume to highlight what they are rating on, and then in the "narrative" questions restating the position I held and task I performed so that the HR people can fully give credit.

brianmdpd
03-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Anyone know if the NCIS hires in certain job tracks like the FBI does? In other words, is an applicant initially selected for CT, CI, Criminal, Cyber etc...or do all agents start out working a ton load of general cases (probably mostly sexual assault)?

cuffs309
03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
No. It specifically states to list where in your resume to find the relevant experience. Under the old KSA system, you would have to type narratives for each question. That is no longer the case under most announcements. When I first got into FLEO I had to do KSAs. Now it just gives the secretary reviewing the material more to read. But, hey, every man for himself...

swolatxfer
03-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Any idea how heavy NCIS looks for folks with current LE background vice those of us working outside the sworn LE field (current 0132)? My experience with HSI was that they were heavy on current LE, didn't care that much about military or intelligence experience.

SnakeDoctor
03-04-2014, 10:42 AM
^ Good question. I'm curious to know too.

Det_sje
03-04-2014, 11:41 AM
^ Good question. I'm curious to know too.

I went to a homicide conference in 2012 and the SAC for the Carolina's did a small presentation about ncis (mainly about the resources they have to local law enforcement). He also told everybody they they were currently only looking for folks with current LE backgrounds and that they were actively hiring but again that was in 2012.

Hope that helps.

swolatxfer
03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I went to a homicide conference in 2012 and the SAC for the Carolina's did a small presentation about ncis (mainly about the resources they have to local law enforcement). He also told everybody they they were currently only looking for folks with current LE backgrounds and that they were actively hiring but again that was in 2012.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information. Not exactly the news I was hoping for. All one can do is apply and hope for the best (and then apply, and apply, and then turn 37, and apply, and apply, and apply).

Det_sje
03-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Again that was in 2012 and I don't work for NCIS so something may of have changed. Don't let what I said discourage you.

ccia84
03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
post deleted

promet
03-04-2014, 03:58 PM
In the past, NCIS has always hired entry levels from a wide variety of backgrounds. Typically, each class would have a mix of prior military, prior LE, people with civilian work experience, and an intern or two. I'm not sure if anything has changed, but that's what I've seen.

myty7
03-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I can't speak on the policy, but most of your questions can be answered by doing a simple Google search or reviewing the ncis website.

Is this what you're talking about?
Is there a mobility requirement?
Yes. As a condition of employment all special agents are required to sign a mobility agreement which may result in one or more overseas moves and periodic assignments within the Continental United States (CONUS) throughout an agent's career with NCIS. In addition, special agents may be required to deploy on assignments to support military forces in high-risk environments. Special agent mobility is necessary to accomplish the Agency's mission and helps support an individual's career development.

Several "may"s in there.

I'm aware that there is information out there, and I've read through numerous threads here and on another site from years back. The pieces of information there do not necessarily describe current policies. Would any current NCIS 1811s care to give further details?

promet
03-04-2014, 05:38 PM
In the past several years there have been forced moves. If you Google "NCIS forced moves" you will see some information about the subject.

The new director is reevaluating a lot of polices, including the mobility policy, and all indications are he intends to make the process more fair and transparent. He's been a big boost to the agency's morale and most of us see good things in the future.

That being said, the agency has a lot of overseas billets and typically people can only stay in those billets for three to five years at a time. That means the agency will always need to move people from CONUS to OCONUS and then back to CONUS. Fortunately, there are always plenty of agents who volunteer when PCS lists come out, which cuts down on the necessity of forced transfers.

As far as deployments, those are filled by volunteers.

hangman
03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
So what's the deal with the narratives on the application?

It sounded like they only want you to list the experience on your resume and dates of experience.

Also, they give you 500 characters, not words.

liberty82
03-04-2014, 09:01 PM
So what's the deal with the narratives on the application?

It sounded like they only want you to list the experience on your resume and dates of experience.

Also, they give you 500 characters, not words.

Everyone has their own opinion on how the narratives should be filled out. My opinion has been added below.

Definition of Narrative

Narrative is a report of related events presented to the listeners or readers in words arranged in a logical sequence.

A story is taken as a synonym of narrative. A narrative or story is told by a narrator who may be a direct part of that experience and he or she often shares the experience as a first-person narrator. Sometimes he or she may only observe the events as a third-person narrator and gives his or her verdict.

Some believe it is listing their past or current job title and where it is placed in their resume.

hangman
03-04-2014, 11:04 PM
According to the announcement, they give 500 characters, which will only equal I'd say 100 or so words. That isn't enough to explain yourself if you marked D or E on every question.

Other than liberty82, what are you other guys doing? Drafting narratives or just listing the jobs that gave you the experience?

CZ_Kid
03-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Myself, simply following the instructions and "Indicating where relevant experience can be found in the resume that supports level of expertise (e.g., dates and titles of positions)."

In hopes to avoid the "Sir, do you not know how to pay attention to detail??!!!"

And as mentioned, 500 characters really doesn't give you enough words to support each question that requires supporting information.

SnakeDoctor
03-05-2014, 12:40 AM
The narratives reminded me of the old KSA's you use to have to fill out.

Based on the job announcement it seems that NCIS has a few openings. Are they trying to bolster the ranks?

promet
03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Caveat: I am not involved in NCIS hiring decisions in any way, shape, or form. I can't help you determine your chances of getting hired, and I don't know how they want you to fill out the application. All I know about hiring are the rumors I hear and they occasional email that goes out from HQ.

That being said, last year SECNAV kicked us some money to hire 54 agents. I believe there has been one class since then, so there are still agents to be hired from that money. Also, because of the hiring freezes in the 1990s, NCIS has a lot of agents who are retirement eligible or who are hitting mandatory, which is thinning our ranks.

I've gotten some private messages asking me what NCIS is like. Every office is a different and your experience can vary a lot depending on where you are and what you're doing. However, if you don't ever want to move, don't want to work weekends/nights/holidays, and don't want to work general crimes, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere. There are plenty of other agencies that have more normal schedules and who don't have overseas assignments, which is a driving force in NCIS having to move people.

jwmyers2s
03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
It is a good thing I read this thread. I filled out my narratives late the other night and misread it as 500 words...not characters. Had to tweak my answers a little bit!

liberty82
03-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Lets drop the topic of who filled out more or less information for the narratives. It has been blown way out of proportion. Good luck to everyone who applied.

myty7
03-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Many thanks for the insight, promet.

jbcar11
03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Anyone familiar with the current hiring process for NCIS? What steps are involved?

hangman
03-06-2014, 02:05 PM
How long will it take before we hear anything back?

SnakeDoctor
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
How long will it take before we hear anything back?

Depends on how many applications they get in. If they get a few thousand it will take some time for HR to review each one and deem who is qualified and who is not. Last time around I applied in 2010 and it took close to four months to hear back that I wasn't qualified.

Just forget you even applied and go one with life

TheKansan
03-09-2014, 10:39 PM
I was able to get my application in just before the announcement closed. It's a good thing I have been putting in hundreds of hours of practice and paying a private tutor for my Spanish, as it might get me a couple of extra points on the application.

SnakeDoctor
03-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I was able to get my application in just before the announcement closed. It's a good thing I have been putting in hundreds of hours of practice and paying a private tutor for my Spanish, as it might get me a couple of extra points on the application.

Didn't you get spanish training at the BP academy?

SnakeDoctor
03-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Do NCIS SA's get locality pay also?

liberty82
03-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Do NCIS SA's get locality pay also?

Every federal employee receives locality pay. It is dependent on what city and state you live in. There are some locations that pay more than others. There is a chart on opm.gov

Here is the link: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2014/law-enforcement-officer/

SnakeDoctor
03-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah I just read through the announcement again and saw that they do. Thanks for the link though.

liberty82
03-14-2014, 12:32 AM
Yeah I just read through the announcement again and saw that they do. Thanks for the link though.

No problem. I would go by the "Rest of the United States" chart since there is no way of knowing which office you would be assigned to if hired. Also do not forget to factor in "LEAP" an extra 25 percent of your pay gets added in to your base salary.

divinefalcon
03-14-2014, 12:35 AM
Speaking of LEAP, anyone know if NCIS pays LEAP while at FLETC? Looking back on the forum, it looks like "yes" ?

hangman
03-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many agents NCIS will hire this year or next?

patriot772
03-14-2014, 03:12 AM
[QUOTE=hangman;3433078]Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how many agents NCIS will hire this year or next?[/QUOTE

Educated guess............100 agents. Saw the USAJobs website on my Iphone and it gave 20 agents for Norfolk, Camp Lejeune, Camp Pendelton, San Diego, Mayport. Rest are 5 agents or less. Could be wrong because the full website didn't list any numbers obviously.

promet
03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
NCIS pays LEAP while at FLETC.

I don't know anything about where HQ will place people or how many they're hiring this year, but typically NCIS tries to hire classes of 24 and they're divided up among different FOs.

liberty82
03-15-2014, 12:31 AM
NCIS pays LEAP while at FLETC.

I don't know anything about where HQ will place people or how many they're hiring this year, but typically NCIS tries to hire classes of 24 and they're divided up among different FOs.

Promet,

Thank you for quickly getting back to us. Inside knowledge is a big help for all of us on the outside.

SnakeDoctor
03-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Does anybody know if the status will change on application manager or is it pointless to keep checking there?

1911user
03-20-2014, 10:26 AM
For those interested, Ziva is coming back.

jwmyers2s
03-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Has anybody heard anything yet from the most recent announcement?

Det_sje
03-20-2014, 02:58 PM

I haven't heard a thing........(crickets).

sgt jon
03-20-2014, 07:14 PM

In all likelihood you will not hear/see much for at-least a few weeks, if not months+.

They have to review each application that passes the initial screening for minimum qualifications. Then they will start the process of identifying applications for forward movement.

If selected they will make a conditional offer and give you a start-date. Depending on several variables you may go directly to “work” at your first office and attend to administrative matters in advance of CITP. When the next class starts you will be TDY do FLETC until graduation when you will return to your office.

The agency has not put out solicitations for class leaders so there is nothing in the near term going on.

Be calm and hang tight.

divinefalcon
03-20-2014, 07:38 PM
The agency has not put out solicitations for class leaders so there is nothing in the near term going on.

How far in advance do they solicit class leaders? Last I heard there was a May class scheduled.

sgt jon
03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
How far in advance do they solicit class leaders? Last I heard there was a May class scheduled.

Usually there is a bit of lead time- if for no other reason than to ensure whoever is selected will be able to transfer cases, get TDY orders cut and get down there.

promet
03-20-2014, 09:13 PM
If I remember correctly, they usually announce the class counselor vacancies while the new hires are actually in CITP. It's been a while since we've had a new hire class, but I seem to remember that's the way it's done. My guess is because they want to make sure the class is actually going to be hired, as last minute budget issues come up.

Det_sje
03-20-2014, 10:09 PM
In all likelihood you will not hear/see much for at-least a few weeks, if not months+.

They have to review each application that passes the initial screening for minimum qualifications. Then they will start the process of identifying applications for forward movement.

If selected they will make a conditional offer and give you a start-date. Depending on several variables you may go directly to “work” at your first office and attend to administrative matters in advance of CITP. When the next class starts you will be TDY do FLETC until graduation when you will return to your office.

Be calm and hang tight.

Thanks for this break down....I've been hoping someone would post something like this.

Do you work for NCIS or previously employed?

sgt jon
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
If I remember correctly, they usually announce the class counselor vacancies while the new hires are actually in CITP. It's been a while since we've had a new hire class, but I seem to remember that's the way it's done. My guess is because they want to make sure the class is actually going to be hired, as last minute budget issues come up.

Indeed. With the last round they did a few months out- and as I recall sent out another GEN to get a fill-in/replacement for someone to run the “PT”.

promet
03-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I just looked it up. They put the solicitation for class counselors our on 21Aug13 for a SABTP that was scheduled to start on 08Oct13, although I think that start date ended up being delayed because of the shutdown. I believe the new hires started CITP in Jul13.

SnakeDoctor
03-21-2014, 07:45 PM
I just looked it up. They put the solicitation for class counselors our on 21Aug13 for a SABTP that was scheduled to start on 08Oct13, although I think that start date ended up being delayed because of the shutdown. I believe the new hires started CITP in Jul13.

what exactly is a class counselor?

Eyesontarget
03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
sgt jon,
In your description you talked about passing initial screening and then selection to move on. What is NCIS's selection process (interviews, testing, ect)? Do they just review resumes and offer COE from those or is there a more formal process either before or after the COE? Thanks for your help!

Det_sje
03-21-2014, 09:14 PM
sgt jon,
In your description you talked about passing initial screening and then selection to move on. What is NCIS's selection process (interviews, testing, ect)? Do they just review resumes and offer COE from those or is there a more formal process either before or after the COE? Thanks for your help!

I agree......more clarification would be great.

promet
03-21-2014, 10:04 PM
what exactly is a class counselor?

Class counselors are NCIS agents who've been on for at least five years and are taken out of the field to serve as mentors and supervisors during SABTP, which is the ten week add on.

divinefalcon
03-21-2014, 10:30 PM
This is the outdated guide, which is not 100% accurate, but still informative:

NCIS Applicant Info Booklet (https://web.archive.org/web/20080920194252/http://www.ncis.navy.mil/downloads/NCIS_Special_Agent_Applicant_Infobooklet.doc)

Page 19 has the flowchart of the application process. However the Applicant Battery was eliminated (I think I read it was "biased"?), and the prescreen is now done at HQ based on your application/resume rather than in-person. Not sure when the CoE comes, but as we all know, CoE just means you are being processed further.

Raidergx
03-22-2014, 04:47 PM
So when you do these Pre-Screen interviews and pannel interviews; do you have to go to the field office? IE: from Sacramento to San Diego

promet
03-23-2014, 10:40 AM
As far as I know, the panel interviews are almost always done at the field offices.

SnakeDoctor
03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
I am near an NCIS field office and I was told that all steps of the process would be completed there.

Det_sje
03-23-2014, 10:03 PM
So let me see if I have this right

1. Application screening for min. quals.
2. NCISHQ screening for BQA
3. Initial interview
4. COE
5. Background, Psy eval, medical
6. Polygraph
7. EOD
?????????

ForzaMilan
03-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Step 4 comes after step 2 in your scenario. You will get a COE and then be invited for an interview, and if you pass the interview, they will start background and the rest of the process.

sgt jon
03-23-2014, 11:41 PM
The above pretty much sums it up.

Understand that things do change but the timeline/sequence is pretty much on target.
If I were to recommend anything in advance of CITP (FLETC) it would be to work on physical conditioning, writing abilities, note taking and the like. Basic academy 101 stuff.

While you will get everything you need by way of case report writing and the systems used- it may be helpful to delve into the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Not an endorsement, but you can pick up a copy of the “Military Police Guide to the Federal Criminal Code” via Justice Systems Press.

A while back I wrote a FLETC 101 of sorts. Having rotated through a few times I picked up a few things and sought to amplify on a few things others have written.

In sum: Glynco is a decent facility. You will be in hotel like rooms (shared or single), they have Wi-Fi, a bus to take you to the chow hall, depending on when you go bug spray is a MUST, its regimented but not boot camp, there is a TON of stuff to do (on and off the facility) when your not studying or doing practical’s, and the staff is there to help.

Pitfalls that befall folks include: not paying attention, off duty issues, spending too much time at the G bar, late returns following the weekend, attitude with staff, etc.

Eyesontarget
04-01-2014, 11:10 AM
cricket....cricket...cricket

Det_sje
04-01-2014, 11:54 AM
No word yet????

patriot772
04-01-2014, 12:06 PM
I know.......the suspense is killing me! I got referred for an NCIS Intel Specialist about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard SQUAT! I did hear that a coworker of mine who was under the announcement before the last one just received (like last week) his start date but I think he said the FLETC date was still TBD.

divinefalcon
04-01-2014, 01:16 PM
I know.......the suspense is killing me! I got referred for an NCIS Intel Specialist about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard SQUAT! I did hear that a coworker of mine who was under the announcement before the last one just received (like last week) his start date but I think he said the FLETC date was still TBD.

When is his start date? I would imagine the FLETC date wouldn't be far behind.

patriot772
04-01-2014, 02:10 PM
When is his start date? I would imagine the FLETC date wouldn't be far behind.

I don't really know the exact date. I just heard that they had called him, offered the job and a start date, he accepted, and he's not too far away from poppin' smoke. I imagine he's leaving sometime in the next 2 weeks. Maybe the May class is the first one and they are running through the candidate pool to see how many accept the job before they get to the last announcement they ran. That's my best guess.....

Prada Police
04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I don't know what this is worth to most of you, but i called the Navy hiring center on the announcement twice. The first time was last Friday and the second time was yesterday (Wednesday).

The first time i called the rep said they have submitted a cert. and i should recieve an email in 2-3 days. After 2-3 days passed and nothing i called again. This time the rep seemed a little puzzled and was silent for a few minutes then came back to say that they are still "working" on a cert. I told her what her co-worker previously stated and she said "they are working on it at this moment".

My next question to her was is there a timeline for this or is it just what ever? Her response was "due to the large volume of applicants it maybe 2-3 weeks".

So, take that for what it's worth guys!

TopGun87
04-03-2014, 02:14 PM
I don't know what this is worth to most of you, but i called the Navy hiring center on the announcement twice. The first time was last Friday and the second time was yesterday (Wednesday).

The first time i called the rep said they have submitted a cert. and i should recieve an email in 2-3 days. After 2-3 days passed and nothing i called again. This time the rep seemed a little puzzled and was silent for a few minutes then came back to say that they are still "working" on a cert. I told her what her co-worker previously stated and she said "they are working on it at this moment".

My next question to her was is there a timeline for this or is it just what ever? Her response was "due to the large volume of applicants it maybe 2-3 weeks".

So, take that for what it's worth guys!

You would think most of these agencies would be use to the large number of applicants that apply to every entry-level 1811 announcements by now. The economy sucks and tons of veterans are returning from the war. I know in reality there's probably like 2-3 HR Reps working on like 10k applicants. Sorry, for the rant. :)

Prada Police
04-03-2014, 03:08 PM
You would think most of these agencies would be use to the large number of applicants that apply to every entry-level 1811 announcements by now. The economy sucks and tons of veterans are returning from the war. I know in reality there's probably like 2-3 HR Reps working on like 10k applicants. Sorry, for the rant. :)

TopGun87,

I dont know whether you are employed with the governement or not, but like it has been said a thousand times on this forum "hurry up and wait". The government is very good at setting strict time limits and deadlines on applicants that they them selves cannot adhere too.

No need to apologize. I would hardly call that a rant, but i agree they should have learned and it is frustrating.

Unfortunatley, it is just the nature of the beast.

CNT Intel Guy
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Is the polygraph a CI-scope or full-scope?

sgt jon
04-03-2014, 07:33 PM
As already noted here and elsewhere- the government is great at a lot of things, including apparently frustrating applicants. As is often bantered about: “The Federal Government has been processing applications since 1776 and some candidates have just received notifications of results.”.

Understand that even on a good day it can take months just to review all of the applications and they must review all that pass initial muster- this could reach into the thousands.

You applied; you took the cogent advice to not invest yourself in just one agency, you are working on other things and will hang tight.

divinefalcon
04-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I might also add that even when things were good, the *fastest* process for any agency was maybe 12 months. You should double that nowadays and be pleasantly surprised if its done any sooner :p

promet
04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
TopGun87, I think your estimate of reality is probably spot on. I've heard that we get thousands of applicants every time we put out a public announcement and we have only a couple of people actually processing these at HQ. Blame the TV show for the number of applicants.

I've met agents who've said it took them six years from when they applied to when they came on board and others who came on in six months. I was somewhere in the middle of that. It depends on timing, qualifications, and who you know. My advice is: respond to HQ queries ASAP and don't be too frustrated when they are slow to respond to you. There are thousands of you and less than a handful of them.

Also, when it comes time for your 2A-Background Investigation, don't be too frustrated when it takes a while. In most offices, they have SAs conducting these and we have to balance your 2A with our regular caseload. I try to handle 2As fairly quickly, but cases going to court have precedence.

PS On the plus side, our hiring folks are very nice people :-) The two ladies I get most of my 2A leads from are kind and seem to take the time to get to know the applicants that make it far along into the process.

PPS If I conduct 10+ interviews for your 2A and NCIS offers you a job, which you turn down because you don't want to move to an office you listed on your assignment preference sheet, I will hate you.

3531Marine
04-05-2014, 05:15 AM
What's a 2A BI? Does OPM do the backgrounds or NCIS?

promet
04-05-2014, 01:13 PM
What's a 2A BI? Does OPM do the backgrounds or NCIS?

There's a duplication of effort. Every NCIS 1811 has a TS clearance, so OPM has to do a SSBI. The same BI anyone in the federal government gets when they get/renew a clearance. If you already have a current SSBI, within the last five years, you can skip this part.

2A is the NCIS case category code for agent applicant BIs. These are done by NCIS agents/investigators and not OPM. It's mostly an exact duplicate of the OPM BI, but it's supposed to be more focused on "suitability" to the job. I.e. does the applicant communicate effectively? Does he get along with others? Any problems with firearms? Any disciplinary issues? Etc, etc, etc.

3531Marine
04-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Does NCIS have specific suitability guidelines and if so do you happen to have a link to them?

promet
04-05-2014, 05:27 PM
I have no idea. I think it's more of a whole person type thing.

sgt jon
04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
While I certainly appreciate the trepidation- the best advice I could give any applicant to the field is this:

Know yourself. While it’s great to have a high self opinion, how do you really stack up against the pack? Issues bring even the best candidate down- if you have em- fix em.

As asked- when it comes to suitability: are you a good fit? Some folks are and some are not. Just because you were/are a great cop, deputy, detective, etc does not mean you fit in at another agency. SWAT Operator at a major department does not mean you are going to be a fit to work frauds and so on.

While some folks have prior LE experience- some don’t. Same with military time. Some have it and some don’t.

Understand that agencies get literally 1000’s of applicants for every open position. Even some great candidates don’t get on. It’s sometimes a numbers game.

With agencies such as NCIS- understand that you can and will be sent anywhere in the world. If you are not willing and able to move anywhere in the world- don’t apply. On the same note- think ahead five+ years and ask yourself if you will be willing & able to move anywhere.

It’s NOT like the TV show. Be it COPS, real stories of the Highway Patrol or NCIS. You will spend hour after hour doing paperwork, follow-ups, interviews and office work. But the shows convince the public that it is and that you will solve the crime in 48 minutes.

The focus of work will shift more often due to political pressure than crime.

jgrey
04-12-2014, 09:29 AM
While I certainly appreciate the trepidation- the best advice I could give any applicant to the field is this:

Know yourself. While it’s great to have a high self opinion, how do you really stack up against the pack? Issues bring even the best candidate down- if you have em- fix em.

As asked- when it comes to suitability: are you a good fit? Some folks are and some are not. Just because you were/are a great cop, deputy, detective, etc does not mean you fit in at another agency. SWAT Operator at a major department does not mean you are going to be a fit to work frauds and so on.

While some folks have prior LE experience- some don’t. Same with military time. Some have it and some don’t.

Understand that agencies get literally 1000’s of applicants for every open position. Even some great candidates don’t get on. It’s sometimes a numbers game.

With agencies such as NCIS- understand that you can and will be sent anywhere in the world. If you are not willing and able to move anywhere in the world- don’t apply. On the same note- think ahead five+ years and ask yourself if you will be willing & able to move anywhere.

It’s NOT like the TV show. Be it COPS, real stories of the Highway Patrol or NCIS. You will spend hour after hour doing paperwork, follow-ups, interviews and office work. But the shows convince the public that it is and that you will solve the crime in 48 minutes.

The focus of work will shift more often due to political pressure than crime.

Do you have any insight on what happens to an applicant once he is in the pool and up for the final board review? If he doesn't get selected, is he ruled out completely or will he be going up for future boards?

patriot772
04-14-2014, 12:31 PM
So it appears letters of referral are going out. On other forums people are saying that they are getting individually referred for each of the 6 locations they applied to. Haven't heard anything yet but I'm hoping sometime this week I might........ Waiting SUCKS!!!

saone
04-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Nothing on this end either. I also read the same on other forums.

dsb05c
04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I have been on the other forum as well. I thought it might have been vet pref got first notified but people later said they got nothing and had it. Seems a lot of different backgrounds applied. I'd be curious to know how many applied and how many open spots there are. Or do they do the waiting hiring pool?

patriot772
04-14-2014, 02:25 PM
I think 100 agents are being hired on. The USAJobs APP on my phone gave a number they are hiring for each location. It was something like 20 for 4 of the 8 offices. The rest were 5 each. Who knows how accurate that is??? All I know is that they are supposed to hire on more than a few classes because of attrition. The time frame that this will happen is the question.........

jgrey
04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I got the call asking what my availability would be for May class but was told that an official offer was contingent upon getting the hiring board to give me a "go" The class is in May. Everything looked great so far but I am getting crazy nervous, some people already received the call and I am sitting here staring at the phone... Anyone in the same boat? I applied in May 2013.

:confused:

Corpor_usmc
04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Just got the referral letters for Mayport, FL.

BiggyWannaBGman
04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I wonder how they are picking people or if they are just throwing darts at a dart board. :) Were you notified via email? I hope for the folks that didn't get notified today that there is still hope for us!

SnakeDoctor
04-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Nothing yet for me and I am not a vet

swolatxfer
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
I called the 800 number today. The very nice lady told me that the process is still ongoing and my application had not been evaluated yet. She seemed to be part of a central Navy process, and the NCIS stuff is going on somewhere else are they are getting updates. My guess is this means it was one of three things:

1. There was an semi-automated score that bumped applications to the top of the pile for review and referral. It seems like a lot of current LE are getting letters, so that makes sense. More letters may keep going out, with current LE folks in the hunt.

2. They are just chopping away at the pile and referring everyone who get high enough scores and other non-LEO applications will get looked as they get through the records.

3. It is the same slightly drunken monkey with a dartboard that runs every hiring process for the federal government.

For the record, I have not be referred. Current non-LEO 0132 (intelligence). 5 point Vet (Navy).

jgrey
04-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Hey everyone, today will be a great day, keep positive thoughts and let's make it through this process already!!! (Too much coffee in my system is to blame :)

saone
04-15-2014, 09:25 AM
swolatxfer,
Thanks for sharing your intel. For the record I am going with choice #3 for this announcement. I have been through this too many times to think otherwise.

Good luck all!

TROOP451
04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
I just received my referral letter for Mayport FL as well.
Good luck to all!

cuffs309
04-15-2014, 01:11 PM
+1 Referral.

Jdub801
04-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Nothing here yet..

BiggyWannaBGman
04-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Troop and cuffs congrats with the referrals. May I ask what backgrounds you two have? Thanks

tnm78
04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Just to echo a question that has already been asked, but has gone unanswered, did the folks that have been referred receive an e-mail stating such, or snail mail?

swolatxfer
04-15-2014, 02:50 PM
+1 Referral.

For the folks that got referral. Congrats!

Quick question, are you guys current LE/FLEO? EDIT: I see that has already been asked.

Prada Police
04-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Referrals went out via application manager email notification.

jgrey
04-15-2014, 03:07 PM
I got the call! I'll have to move across the country, but I got the call.:eek::D Good luck everyone!!!

INcop312
04-15-2014, 04:49 PM
For the folks that got referral. Congrats!

Quick question, are you guys current LE/FLEO? EDIT: I see that has already been asked.

I also received a referral email for FL. I am a current Fed LEO for the past 5 years and I have 4 years as a local LEO plus 4 years in the Coast Guard.

swolatxfer
04-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Has anyone who does not have a sworn background been referred?

I am getting that sinking feeling again....

3531Marine
04-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Referred for Mayport for 7 and 9. Current fed Leo, prior local Leo, 8 years marine corps. I selected all the locations when I applied. Goodluck to all.

Eyesontarget
04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Was told by HR that I was referred but have not received an email. I am current FED LEO, 10 pt VET, local LE, and MA degree. Seems like FL is the only referrals going out so far...

patriot772
04-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Was told by HR that I was referred but have not received an email. I am current FED LEO, 10 pt VET, local LE, and MA degree. Seems like FL is the only referrals going out so far...

I might have to make a call here.... I'm starting to think I have the worst luck in the world!

swolatxfer
04-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I might have to make a call here.... I'm starting to think I have the worst luck in the world!

I am starting to think every 1811 announcement is a lateral announcement. I will keep hope alive, but it remains on life support.

liberty82
04-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Well I called HR and was informed that I had been referred, no official email yet. I was then told to be looking for the referral email that would be coming anytime in the near future.

Are the emails coming from a recruiter or usajobs?

dsb05c
04-15-2014, 06:42 PM

That makes me nervous as I'm from FL and no email yet. Ha. I should probably stop watching the water waiting for it to boil.

patriot772
04-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Yeah....definitely calling HR tomorrow. The suspense is killing me!

Corpor_usmc
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
It's a waiting game, I got referrals for Norfolk and Cali today. 3.5years at cbp, 1yr opm, three years uspis, also severed four yrs with the USMC.

Det_sje
04-15-2014, 09:36 PM
I haven't receiving anything yet and will probably call tomorrow as well to HR. Good luck to everybody.

Esco
04-15-2014, 11:49 PM
It's a waiting game, I got referrals for Norfolk and Cali today. 3.5years at cbp, 1yr opm, three years uspis, also severed four yrs with the USMC.
Corpor u want out at uspis? I've been trying to get over there for about a year now?
I heard they were the best secret in fed Leo.

Good luck in your endeavors.

jtothawhat
04-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Got referred today as well, selected 3/5 locations when I applied got referred for San Diego GL09. 10 point vet, current FED LEO for 3 years.

TROOP451
04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Sorry for the delay to your question. I am prior service (Air Force) and several years local leo/state tooper.

jtothawhat
04-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Did both locations happen to be on the same letter, or did you get two seperate letters? I am wondering if I will get another from my first choice of Chicago.

saone
04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
From those posting here, it seems like LEO experience is the common trait that successful NCIS applicants have.
Makes sense to me, congrats to those moving forward!

Jdub801
04-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I would have to agree with Saone. I have law enforcement experience, hoping it's enough though. I called yesterday late in the day and they didn't tell me anything specifically about me. They did mention that they are still sending out referrals/notifications. Apparently, the applicant pool was larger than expected. Duh, that's normal for these gigs. Best to you all!

DaBulls
04-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Actually, it seems like being a vet plus LEO experience is the common trait. I have 5 years as a fed LEO but no vets pref and haven't heard anything. I also applied for every location.

Det_sje
04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Just called the DON and they said that they have had a extremely large number of applicants apply and that it will take a while for everyone to be reviewed. I asked about my application and the guy on the phone said that it has not yet been reviewed, but he did tell me to expect a email and a phone call in the near future!!!!!:D

liberty82
04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
What's the latest and greatest for the ones who called HR this morning?

dsb05c
04-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah I know that is becoming huge now with the vets coming home and the military downsizing. Heck, there are vets that are LE, vet pref and a Master's. Hoping my Master's keeps me in it. Been with probation 5 years. Not sure how they'll count that experience.

Eyesontarget
04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Was told there are a ton of referrals going out. They are being lumped in groups by location and slowly being sent out to ease the burden on HR. Remain frosty!

Jdub801
04-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Heck, there are vets that are LE, vet pref and a Master's.

That's my resume, I have yet to hear anything. Sounds like they are still working on it. Up with hope, down with dope!

BiggyWannaBGman
04-16-2014, 02:45 PM
I called the number and it asked me to leave a message? Was that normal for you all? Any words of advice? Thanks.

promet
04-16-2014, 02:51 PM
I think 100 agents are being hired on. The USAJobs APP on my phone gave a number they are hiring for each location. It was something like 20 for 4 of the 8 offices. The rest were 5 each. Who knows how accurate that is??? All I know is that they are supposed to hire on more than a few classes because of attrition. The time frame that this will happen is the question.........

Director Traver just stated he would like to hire five full classes, 120 agents total, this year, but he caveated that by saying that goal is very ambitious and 70-100 new agents might be more realistic.

tango31
04-16-2014, 02:54 PM
I wanted to call too, but I figure they have had hundreds of people who read the boards call. I'll just sit back and hope I get an email.

patriot772
04-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Director Traver just stated he would like to hire five full classes, 120 agents total, this year, but he caveated that by saying that goal is very ambitious and 70-100 new agents might be more realistic.

Well that's something.....

I called the 800 number too and got to a VM. I wrote the DONEIC@NAVY.MIL e-mail and asked for any information available for release on my status. Nothing!

I still have not received any referral letters and I'm BA/MS, 8 yrs FED LEO, local PD.....

3531Marine
04-16-2014, 03:30 PM
FY or calendar year? Either way I would say that's very ambitious if the old list is exhausted and they are just sending referrals out for this announcement. However, the announcement did list current feds and vets will have preference, maybe the BI's can be done quicker for us current feds? But I guess the process can go as fast as they want, it's in their hands.

tnm78
04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
I just got off the phone (800 number listed on the announcement) with a DON rep. and was told that I was forwarded on to the hiring officials. Haven't received an e-mail yet. He could not tell me for which location(s). He said 18 certs went out for this particular announcement.
Current Fed LEO, Local, Vet, Bachelor Degree.
Good luck to all!

sgt jon
04-16-2014, 07:44 PM

And the thing to appreciate with the Directors vision is that despite attrition due to retirements (with quite a few at or near the window), its not a simple feat to make it happen. Anyone familiar with the agency knows just how long it has been since they did a recruitment.

Word to the wise would be to keep an eye out for 1810 (Investigator), 0080 (Security Specialist) and 0132 (Intelligence) positions. While none of these is a sure pathway to 1811- it does get you on with a great agency and may bolster your standing there or elsewhere. And understand that NCIS is about 50/50- half are agents and the rest is professional staff, so there is opportunity for a wide range of interests.

As a quick reference- this is not a hard and fast breakdown, but for quick info.

-1810’s work general investigations. This is not an age limited position and does not convey LEO status. Most investigators come aboard with experience already. A few also work in the protective operations area. They top out at around GS-12.

-0080’s work a wide span of duties. Some are doing security/vulnerability assessments and training, others do policy type work, some are in the personnel security arena, while others are doing electronic focused work. They top out at around GS-14.

-0132’s are involved in a diverse range of areas, from analytical support to assessments. They top out at around GS-14.

You also have a host of other disciplines- so keep an eye out.

Ranger175
04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
I was referred to the hiring manager for Mayport and Norfolk. I'm also a current FED LEO, prior local PD, and 7 years in the military.

jtothawhat
04-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I just got off the phone (800 number listed on the announcement) with a DON rep. and was told that I was forwarded on to the hiring officials. Haven't received an e-mail yet. He could not tell me for which location(s). He said 18 certs went out for this particular announcement.
Current Fed LEO, Local, Vet, Bachelor Degree.
Good luck to all!

What exactly does 18 certs mean?

TopGun87
04-17-2014, 01:41 AM
@ current NCIS Agents. Is it possible to get hired by NCIS and be placed in an initial assignment or follow-on overseas? Also, is it possible to spend 35-40% of your career overseas?

Thanks,

sgt jon
04-17-2014, 03:52 AM
What exactly does 18 certs mean?

In the Fed HR world each hiring action is tied to a certificate- for the sake of humor lets call them job tickets- you have to get one to ride. In this case they have 18 tickets to hand out.

sgt jon
04-17-2014, 03:57 AM
@ current NCIS Agents. Is it possible to get hired by NCIS and be placed in an initial assignment or follow-on overseas? Also, is it possible to spend 35-40% of your career overseas?

Thanks,

Initial OCONUS tours are highly unlikely, if for no other reason than the way the initial and post CITP/SABT training program works. You should look at spending some time in a general crimes billet learning the ropes- from there the job could lead you anywhere.

It is certainly possible to end up OCONUS after you do a stint stateside; but remember as with any agency, you sometimes go where the need/want you vice where you want to go.

Some folks spend a good spell OCONUS, but it just depends on billets, the rotations, what folks vie for and needs.

jtothawhat
04-17-2014, 06:21 AM
In the Fed HR world each hiring action is tied to a certificate- for the sake of humor lets call them job tickets- you have to get one to ride. In this case they have 18 tickets to hand out.

I am a current FEDLEO I just don't really understand how it works. I am a 10 point vet so as far as I understand I go to the top of the most qualified list. Does 18 certs mean there is 18 positions, or does it mean there is 18 pools from them to choose people to hire? I wasn't aware there is 18 posssible certs.

3531Marine
04-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Veterans preference works differently in the Excepted service but in reality the don't have to hire a 10pt before a 5pt. However, as long as either the 5pt or 10pt is qualified one of them has to be hired over a non-vet. At least this is how it works in the competitive service. Holding on to veterans preference as a hope to get hired won't get you too far in the excepted service, especially because so far everyone referred is a vet and also because they can either fail you or give you a low score on the interview which would put you to the bottom anyway.

Eyesontarget
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
I just want to clarify something in case some are confused...an email from application manager with a referral simply means they passed your information on to NCIS for that office (which is why you may get multiple emails). Until NCIS starts issuing COE's everyone should remain calm and understand that HR is still working through all the apps and sending referral letters out. Stay strong folks it will come!

saone
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
@ Sgt Jon,
Do you know of any 1801 slots with NCIS? I am curious to know what the 1801s do, if they have any.

TopGun87
04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Initial OCONUS tours are highly unlikely, if for no other reason than the way the initial and post CITP/SABT training program works. You should look at spending some time in a general crimes billet learning the ropes- from there the job could lead you anywhere.

It is certainly possible to end up OCONUS after you do a stint stateside; but remember as with any agency, you sometimes go where the need/want you vice where you want to go.

Some folks spend a good spell OCONUS, but it just depends on billets, the rotations, what folks vie for and needs.

In places such as Europe or Asia can your family/dependents accompany you?

Thanks,

promet
04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
The selections for the May hires went out yesterday. NCIS is bringing 24 new agents on board. Congratulations to anyone who made it!

Det_sje
04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
The selections for the May hires went out yesterday. NCIS is bringing 24 new agents on board. Congratulations to anyone who made it!

So what about the march 14 applicants? How soon will they be hired?

SnakeDoctor
04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
So what about the march 14 applicants? How soon will they be hired?

It sounds like they are still sifting through all the application. It could be a year or more before the most recent applicants get hired.

TROOP451
04-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I Agree SnakeDoctor. Ultimately it will depend on the needs of the agency, how many classes they intend to have and the depth of the current hiring pool.