PDA

View Full Version : Under Armour shirt hurts underarms?

Narco
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Does anyone else have this problem? I've been wearing these shirts forever but they really dig into my arm pits. It hurts so bad by the end of the shift. Can you cut the sleeves off them without messing up the shirt?

I like the compression shirts but don't want to try another brand only to have the same problem. Anyone tried the 5.11 muscle mapping? I'm really only concerned as to whether other brands did into your arm pits like UA does.

Resq14
11-05-2008, 11:13 PM
UA Heatgear? If so, try one of their looser fit shirts maybe.

Sgt. Slaughter
11-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't know about cutting the sleeves. I wear the sleeveless version to avoid that very problem since they're tight. I wanted to try those muscle mapping shirts, but figured they would dig into my armpits so I haven't bought them.

nadler20
11-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Yes, I have the same problem too. I thought I was the only one. I've seen people who have cut Under Armour shirts and they stay together. No fraying or anything of that nature, so I guess you could cut it if you wanted.

LockednLoaded
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
x3! Gosh they are swore sometimes.

hxd
11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I have that problem too.

Try the sleeveless. I'll be switching to long sleeved UA Coldgear in the next couple weeks. Probably not necessary in ATL.

toasterlocker
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Narco
11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
yep, today was another day of arm pit hell. it hurts!! i'm gonna cut the sleeves off my oldest one and report back

MPDCjock
11-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I recently bought my first UA heatgear L/S shirt. I wore it one tour and love it. It breaths, doesn't stick to my body and feels good. Thumbs up!

nadler20
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I have that problem too.

Try the sleeveless. I'll be switching to long sleeved UA Coldgear in the next couple weeks. Probably not necessary in ATL.

One thing I noticed about the LS cold gear is that it does wear at the armpits like the heat gear. My cold gear is two sizes larger so that is probably the reason. Narco, you could buy a couple sizes larger of the heat gear and since it stretchy it'll feel about the same but with loser seems at the pits.

Diesel Kinevel
11-06-2008, 05:50 PM
during the summer I wear UA loose gear T shirt underneath my vest. it doesnt bother me a bit...

hxd
11-06-2008, 07:27 PM
One thing I noticed about the LS cold gear is that it does wear at the armpits like the heat gear.

Interesting, thanks.
With that in mind, I'll buy just one to try out for now.

I will say, since I started wearing UA, it just doesn't feel right when I go back to cotton. I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a cotton t-shirt in the last six months.

Narco
11-06-2008, 07:33 PM
i can count on 1 hand ive worn cotton in the last 4 years. i love the compression shirts. they dont come untucked and buch up. i dont have any of the long sleeve UA cold gear. if you say it's doesnt hurt the pits like heatgear then i'll try it.

nadler20
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM
One thing I noticed about the LS cold gear is that it does <not> wear at the armpits like the heat gear.

Interesting, thanks.
With that in mind, I'll buy just one to try out for now.

I will say, since I started wearing UA, it just doesn't feel right when I go back to cotton. I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a cotton t-shirt in the last six months.

Sorry, I left out "not" in my other post. The LS CG does not rub my armpits. Sorry for the confusion

Monkeybomb
11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I use the 5-11 compression shirts. They bugged me for a bit but either i'm used to it or they stopped hurting after a couple of washes.

cobes
11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
UA's tactical line seems a bit more comfortable than the ones you would find at a sporting goods store. I have a couple of UA shirts from Dick's that are unbearable underneath my vest.

I wear 5.11 shirts now. They are much much better than the UA shirts from the sporting goods store. However, at the end of the day, I am still peeling the shirt off of my body because it is trying to fuse itself with my skin. There is just no way to be comfortable with a vest on.

gapd01
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
One thing I noticed about the LS cold gear is that it does wear at the armpits like the heat gear. My cold gear is two sizes larger so that is probably the reason. Narco, you could buy a couple sizes larger of the heat gear and since it stretchy it'll feel about the same but with loser seems at the pits.

That's it my cold gear fits fine but the heat i had the same problems as narco i just stretched out the sleeves it's gotten better.

Groove
11-07-2008, 01:59 AM
I have the same problem sometimes too, although now my shirts are older and have stretched a little, they don't hurt anymore.

Once they start to wear out, I'm going the try the 5.11 seamless shirts they have started making.

http://www.copquest.com/45-6100.htm

Looks like they might be good, and a little cheaper than under armor too.

I love the 5.11 you mentioned above. The only issue i have with them is the tag on the inside of the collar. It's one of those heat melted type. after having it a while it started to crack and peel. it drove me nuts. I just picked it all off and the problem is gone. that is the only down side to the 5.11. as far as quality and durability it matches UA. I like the 5.11 because it is lighter and softer than the UA. also it has the venty pits.

cobes
11-07-2008, 06:14 AM
I love the 5.11 you mentioned above. The only issue i have with them is the tag on the inside of the collar. It's one of those heat melted type. after having it a while it started to crack and peel. it drove me nuts. I just picked it all off and the problem is gone. that is the only down side to the 5.11. as far as quality and durability it matches UA. I like the 5.11 because it is lighter and softer than the UA. also it has the venty pits.

The Venty Pits is my new band name.

Narco
11-07-2008, 07:42 PM
ive got the regualr UA and the tactical UA heat gear and the tactical is a LITTLE more bearable, but after 5 or so hours it hurts just as bad.

Chit2001
11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny. I used the cheap "champion" shirts that hurt me like hell.... the seams are what dug into me.

Bought some UA coldgear shirts and the problem was solved. You're down in ATL (if I remember correctly, Narco), so I could see why you wouldn't really need to coldgear stuff. Not sure if anything else UA makes would be better. I'm thinking the tact heat-gear stuff would work.... I don't recall if they have those thick seams or not.

hxd
11-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried the regular tech shirts? They're constructed like a standard crew-neck cotton tee, and they feel like a cotton tee, but they're made of a UA blend material. I wear those when I work out, and they keep me pretty cool and dry.

As much as I HATE to support Dick's Sporting goods, they usually have a full table of them sitting right out in the front of the UA section. I was at Dick's a couple days ago, and they had a half-dozen or more colors.

Narco
11-07-2008, 10:40 PM
no b/c I prefer the compression style shirts for work. the tactical ones still dig in and hurt although not quite as bad as the regular. Chit, it still gets mighty cold here in Jan/Feb (although today was high 70s). I'll try one of the cold gear ones.

does the 5.11 muscle mapping ones have seams under the arms? it's definitely that stupid seam that's causing the problem.

towncop
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I wear the UA Heatgear one size larger then normal and this completely does away with the problem. I was having the same problem as you and went up a size. It's still snug and doesn't bunch up under the vest or anything, just gave much more room in the pits. ;)

toasterlocker
11-08-2008, 12:37 AM

towncop
11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Something else you may want to take a look at it vest fit. Honestly. If it's not cut properly under the pits, it'll seem like the t-shirt is the problem.

Narco
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
toaster - if you enlarge the pic you can see a seam in the pit area of the shirt

Groove
11-09-2008, 12:14 AM
toaster - if you enlarge the pic you can see a seam in the pit area of the shirt

That illustration is a little misleading. The pit is a different material than the rest of the shirt it is more "venty" and is sewn in so there is no seam at the pit the seams are along the sides and out of the way of any area that may see any friction.

Chiller
11-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Narco...

Compression sleeveless UA is the way to go....i wear the heatgear version all year long under my vest and have never ever had a problem with them.

I dumped the ones with sleeves for the same reason u have and couldnt have worked better

Sgt. Slaughter
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
What did you end up going with?